What's so wrong with having Broly be a Universe 6 fighter

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheXenoverse

What's so wrong with having Broly be a Universe 6 fighter

Post by TheXenoverse » Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:31 pm

To be honest I see no problem with Broly being part of the U6 team.

Sure he has no character and his power is an anomoly, but Super is a continuation, its here to not only extend the series but add on to it as well.

DB has some deep characters if you are willing to look under the (unintentional) layers Toriyama created, but we have a lot of paper thin characters here too (Buu, Chiaotzu, Goten and even Goku himself) and it doesn't detract from the enjoyment, character was never a priority, so whats wrong with Broly joining the club.

We've already had some Freeza fanservice, why not get indulged and make Broly return as well, just make the movies their own universe as everyone is speculating and have Broly be dead in Universe 7, problem solved.

The 'fighting' fans as I liked to call them haven't really been thrown their bone since Super is definitely not an 'AF' or 'Absolon', but fans are fans regardless of what they prefer about Dragonball and I think Broly encompasses the mentality of fans who prefer the 'muscly' and 'over the top transformation' style for Dragonball. Fans are fans regardless of their preferences and I think they should be thrown a bone (even if they are just Brolytards 8) )

This may be the last Dragonball series we get (or at least, the last series we get before Toriyama's gone) so why not go wild while we still can?

Do you guys think Broly being reintroduced will really be that much of a detriment to the series? If so, why?

(P.S I am thoroughly opposed to the Evil Goku and Bardock speculations, that can all die in a fire)

pacz360
I Live Here

Re: What's so wrong with having Broly be a Universe 6 fighte

Post by pacz360 » Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:09 pm

Well imo people wants something new not something we seen already Broly had 3 movies dedicated to him plus a lot (not saying I'm am)dont like the character and find him overatted plus i doubt tori has any interest in the guy and mentioned new characters in the arc.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:19 pm

The biggest reason why I don't think we're getting any Brolli in Super: Brolli's creator disparaged Beerus in a public interview.
Takao Koyama wrote:For this time, Goku’s opponent, designed by Toriyama-sensei, was even a God of Destruction.
In the world of Dragon Ball Z, that’s a setting where even Broli, before the God of Destruction, would face a gap like that between a Yokozuna and the very bottom of the sumo ranks. That Broli, reduced to a pushover.

Only, from the impression I got of the character on the screen, Broli was scarier, no contest. Am I the only one who found that Broli looked overwhelmingly frightening? Or am I just biased towards my own creation?
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/2013/07/07/ta ... e-of-gods/

The other reason: Toriyama's been ignoring anime-only characters outside of Gregory for Super (I count Bardock as being in a weird grey area because he technically did make it into a panel of the manga back during the original run, even if he was anime first.)
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:23 pm

Broly was invented to give the Z-Senshi a very tough fight but there's not much to him other than that.
The appeal of his character & abilities is all fan-made, sure he may have been the "true" SSJ spoken of in legends with unique power and attributes but at the end of the day he got defeated(rather effortlessly, mind you) at the end of each movie he was in and then that's all she wrote.
Had he been given a bit more screen time and a more sensible & in-depth connection to Goku and Co other than just being a Saiyan who as a baby, was traumatized by Baby Goku's crying(how he would remember that to begin with, let alone clearly recognizing Goku as the culprit I don't know) then he would be a more open character than just being the next movie's challenge.
I hope that if there is another LSSJ that it's not Broly and one with a larger backstory and more reasonable excuse to want to fight Goku and Co than just being some on the spot villain with lots of power.
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:09 am

If you want more Broli then Dragon Ball Heroes has been giving him the Dragon Ball AF treatment with SSj4 Broli. We don't need Broli back since he had three movies already.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Darkprince410
I Live Here

Post by Darkprince410 » Fri Nov 27, 2015 2:07 am

We've already had some Freeza fanservice, why not get indulged and make Broly return as well, just make the movies their own universe as everyone is speculating and have Broly be dead in Universe 7, problem solved.
The Chozenshuu basically establishes though that all the movies, no matter their continuity within the franchise, still took place within Universe 7, so the only legitimate way Broly could be "introduced" is if it were completely unrelated to the character seen in the movies, and by that time it might as well not be Broly at all.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Fri Nov 27, 2015 2:11 am

Because Broli is a side-character from a movie, and he has no business being included or even acknowledged in a new mainline series spearheaded by Toriyama and intended as a continuation of the manga's story. Heck, in terms of continuity, he can't even be considered as someone already familiar to the cast, because his movie can't be placed anywhere in the main story.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Friezacooler
Regular

Post by Friezacooler » Fri Nov 27, 2015 3:13 am

If there is a character who's story perfectly got concluded it's Broly after the 2nd movie. however another 2 movies to return Broly would be a welcome addition to make people forget the atoricity that was the 3th movie. Broly in Super? Only if he is got his own arc unless Tori has his own ideas to add him to the main current story. I would prefer freeza to return again XD.

Tsufuru
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Tsufuru » Fri Nov 27, 2015 6:17 am

becouse ppl want new characters.

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Fri Nov 27, 2015 6:37 am

Broly is almost 20 years old. Why would Toriyama waste time on an old movie character?

Friezacooler
Regular

Post by Friezacooler » Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:13 am

Same reason he brought back Freeza if Broly fits the story then it's good to bring him back.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:28 am

Friezacooler wrote:Same reason he brought back Freeza if Broly fits the story then it's good to bring him back.
But Freeza is apart of the manga, the main continuity of the series whereras Broly is not.
Broly is really overrated and generic, much more than the examples you listed. Like others have said, he's had three movies, plus all the treatment he gets in Heroes and other video games. Let a new character shine.

yamu

Post by yamu » Fri Nov 27, 2015 4:22 pm

I was actually considering the possibility of Broli for some time. It would be fun and cool in a fan service kind of way, and might surprise some interesting fights. I ended up siding against the idea, because I would rather see new characters instead of alternate versions of the ones I already know. Plus, Saiyan overload has been going on forever, so someone else entirely would be a welcomed change.

I wouldn't hate Broli though, even though he would be there to sell action figures more than anything else.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri Nov 27, 2015 5:50 pm

Because Broly is a one-note movie character, that even in his own self contained stories, contributed nothing significant to the lore of Dragon Ball and it would be a waste to see his shoehorned into a story he has no right to be. Plus, Toriyama will most likely not even remember who Broly is.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Nov 27, 2015 6:22 pm

People bitch about characters like #17 and Freeza coming back, but fans want Broli back? If Broli comes back then people will bitch about it. Sometimes I feel like that DB fans want something and cry about it when they finally get what they want.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Fri Nov 27, 2015 6:31 pm

Brolli's got nothing to his personality either. Part of what makes the battles fun is how these characters play off each other. Brolli had so little dialogue in Movie 8, and none in 10 or 11.
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

DragonBalllKaiHD
I Live Here

Post by DragonBalllKaiHD » Fri Nov 27, 2015 6:51 pm

Kaboom wrote:Because Broli is a side-character from a movie, and he has no business being included or even acknowledged in a new mainline series spearheaded by Toriyama and intended as a continuation of the manga's story. Heck, in terms of continuity, he can't even be considered as someone already familiar to the cast, because his movie can't be placed anywhere in the main story.
Yes, it can. You just have to think of the cast taking a vacation from the training for the Cell Games. Easy as pie.
Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru's #1 biggest fan

A piece of animation is a beauty of art.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Fri Nov 27, 2015 7:06 pm

Others have already addressed it. The chance of Broli being on Champa's team is miniscule. This is Toriyama's story. He really doesn't care what other people have written for the franchise and recent works have just hammered that in.

That said, I wouldn't really care if Broli was on Champa's team. I don't dislike his design (though I prefer him non buff). Honestly, I'd probably be excited if he was, because he sure as hell wouldn't be the same character everyone already knows. Plus, rewriting Koyama's pride and joy after his comments on Beerus, as well completely shattering everything the fanwanked-to-absurd-proportions fans had previously thought about the character? There would be a bit of satisfaction in that symbolic middle finger.
DragonBalllKaiHD wrote:Yes, it can. You just have to think of the cast taking a vacation from the training for the Cell Games. Easy as pie.
It's not easy as pie when you have to jump through a lot of hoops to kind of make partial sense of some of the inconsistencies at best.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Fri Nov 27, 2015 7:11 pm

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:Plus, rewriting Koyama's pride and joy after his comments on Beerus, as well completely shattering everything the fanwanked-to-absurd-proportions fans had previously thought about the character? There would be a bit of satisfaction in that symbolic middle finger.
That would be a very Toriyama thing to do. I could see it happening.
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

DragonBalllKaiHD
I Live Here

Post by DragonBalllKaiHD » Fri Nov 27, 2015 7:12 pm

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:Others have already addressed it. The chance of Broli being on Champa's team is miniscule. This is Toriyama's story. He really doesn't care what other people have written for the franchise and recent works have just hammered that in.

That said, I wouldn't really care if Broli was on Champa's team. I don't dislike his design (though I prefer him non buff). Honestly, I'd probably be excited if he was, because he sure as hell wouldn't be the same character everyone already knows. Plus, rewriting Koyama's pride and joy after his comments on Beerus, as well completely shattering everything the fanwanked-to-absurd-proportions fans had previously thought about the character? There would be a bit of satisfaction in that symbolic middle finger.
DragonBalllKaiHD wrote:Yes, it can. You just have to think of the cast taking a vacation from the training for the Cell Games. Easy as pie.
It's not easy as pie when you have to jump through a lot of hoops to kind of make partial sense of some of the inconsistencies at best.
Such as?
Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru's #1 biggest fan

A piece of animation is a beauty of art.