Will Goku or Vegeta use the original SSJ forms again in DBS?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Shiyonasan
Advanced Regular

Will Goku or Vegeta use the original SSJ forms again in DBS?

Post by Shiyonasan » Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:56 pm

This topic brought up the question of whether we will see Super Saiyan God again since the introduction of Super Saiyan Blue.

That got me to thinking though...will the original Super Saiyan transformations, Super Saiyan 1 through 3, ever be used again in Dragon Ball Super? It's clear that Goku stood no chance against Beerus in his Super Saiyan 3 form. Goku and Vegeta might resort to only using Super Saiyan Blue and beyond from now on in Super. Of course, you'll see those transformations in flashbacks, but otherwise, you might only be seeing Gohan, Goten, and Trunks using the original Super Saiyan forms from now on. Even then, I could see any one of those three being given the Super Saiyan Blue form at some point.

What do you guys think?

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Re: Will Goku or Vegeta use the original SSJ forms again in

Post by Chuquita » Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:01 pm

It's somehow even stranger to think the regular blonde ssj forms could be retired from Gokû and Vegeta's arsenal than just not seeing ssjg again.

I do think they're gone too. It's blueper saiyan or bust until the next inevitable color swap, imo.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Xeztin
I Live Here

Post by Xeztin » Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:19 pm

As far as Goku and Vegeta goes I think its pretty safe to say we will never see the Blonde Super Saiyan ever again unless it's something different and not the original SSJ 1-3 forms. I made that thread questioning if we'd ever see Super Saiyan God again since it seemed like it had so much potential and questions unanswered.it more or less left a bad taste in my mouth. I honestly don't think that SSJB has the healing ability but we'll see soon i'd say... I don't know if anyone else has noticed this but when Goku became SSG it was like flames were taking him over. When he goes SSJB it almost looks like hes busting out of ice especially the upcoming episode with Vegeta.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:13 pm

They both have god powers inside them now. So I do think SSj Blue is going to be our main transformation for now. Goku didn't even use normal SSj against Freeza and Uub. Goku probably thinks that he no longer needs it.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:22 pm

I don't think they'll use those forms again :( there's no reason to use a basic SSJ form if you already have god power.

DBZ_323

Post by DBZ_323 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 6:36 pm

In the Buu Saga Goku had SSJ3 and he still used SSJ2 more often than not. And in GT, he had SSJ4 and he still used SSJ2 and 3 unless he had an enemy that couldn't be defeated. However, SSJ3 was a far more draining and unstable form than SSJGSSJ has been, and no one seems to care about GT so neither of those examples would be particularly reliable. The only evidence we can use now is Goku's fight against Frieza...where he skips straight to SSJGSSJ, so i'd guess no. SSSJ1-3 are probably dead as far as Goku and Vegeta go. R.I.P.
Manga Dimension: Jaco the Galactic Patrolman - Dragon Ball - Dragon Ball! Yo Son Goku and His Friends Return - Dragon Ball Z: Ressurection F - Dragon Ball Super

Revived Anime Dimension: Dragon Ball Kai - Dragon Ball Super

Anime Dimension: Dragon Ball - Dragon Ball Z - Dragon Ball Z Movies - Dragon Ball GT

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:01 pm

Nope. Blue is the new Gold as far as Super Saiyan transformations are concerned.

Hot Rod
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Hot Rod » Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:52 pm

DBZ_323 wrote:In the Buu Saga Goku had SSJ3 and he still used SSJ2 more often than not. And in GT, he had SSJ4 and he still used SSJ2 and 3 unless he had an enemy that couldn't be defeated.
No, in Buu saga he used Super Saiyan 2 once against Majin Vegeta (twice if you count the filler battle against Buu), and he has used Super Saiyan 3 three times; against Majin Buu, briefly against Super Buu and against Buu.

In GT, he used Super Saiyan 2 once and quickly in order to defend from a Rildo's attack.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:01 pm

Super Saiyan is by far the most popular and well-known transformation in the series. We haven't seen the last of it.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:14 pm

Goku can still use his normal ki, so its possible.
And no matter how much famous SSB bescomes, SSJ will always be the most iconic.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:18 pm

Definitely. I'd be thrilled to see them pull a Buu arc and actually whip out the regular blonde ssj1-3 (and Gokû's ssjg) before things get serious in a battle, but I feel we're just stuck with blueper.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:42 pm

Kamiccolo9 wrote:Super Saiyan is by far the most popular and well-known transformation in the series. We haven't seen the last of it.
We will see them in toys, but I think the forms are gone in the show for now.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:41 am

I think not :)They've surpassed it already. But I think that SSJ Blue is the same super saiyan with new unlocked power in the mix, so we will see them with color swap for blue, minus the 2-3 forms.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:10 am

The only reason Goku or Vegeta will have to use them is to show them off to someone like what Goku did when he first fought Beerus.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:01 am

In-universe response would be. Nope!

Lookin at how SSJ3 Goku was knocked unconscious with mere "stroke", it goes to show just how obsolete other regular SSJ forms were

Out of universe opinion is this. Goddo/Goat & Blueper/Toriko SSJ forms are garbagr

Forms like ASSJ, USSJ, FPSSJ (personal favourite of mine) are far more imposing with great detailing rifht from bangs, strands, facial expressions to body proportions etc.

Hell, SSJ2 form (super-charged state) looked much better & SSJ3 was slick. It gave a raw, over-flowing feel & gives strong impression saying " Now, THIS!!! This is d ultimate, saikyoo no Supa Saiyajin", which admitedly makes me wonder. Should I mess with Goku in this state? Looks so demonic.

I would prefer any SSJ form (yeah even False SSJ) over...the...ugh...

Bojack

Post by Bojack » Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:43 am

I think we will, but gradually Goten, Trunks, And Gohan will learn SSB. It wouldn't be fair for the others to be left in the dust. They would not be able to stand a chance against Gods. This is also the reason Vegeta will never go SS3.

Deathbringer
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Deathbringer » Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:30 pm

I thought the Super Saiyan Blue is SSJ mixed with SSJG so I assumed that it's what the regular SSJ form looks like when the user has mastered SSJG. Basically meaning Goku and Vegeta probably can't become a golden-haired SSJ any more. Gohan, Goten and Trunks can still do it though.

SSJG is a whole different transformation to Super Saiyan, they should have just called it "Saiyan God" because using the word Super is confusing most people thinking it's a natural step up from SSJ3 when it's in fact something taken from a seperate source of energy (the seperate source being 5 other Saiyans) rather than the energy from within the user, so when Goku has the power of a God and he uses the power of a Super Saiyan the two mix and he becomes a Super Saiyan Blue.

But yeah, SSJG should have been called "Saiyan God" because it's not a SSJ-Related power and SSJGSSJ should have been called "Super Saiyan God" because it's the God power mixed with Super Saiyan.

I think I might have just repeated myself 3 or 4 times here :lol:

Travis Touchdown
Regular

Post by Travis Touchdown » Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:50 pm

My prediction is that Godly ki is going to have a limit. Either that or it will get progressively more difficult to improve and ultimately viewed as an inconvenient way to get stronger. Goku, for no reason other than being the main character, will decide mortal ki is better than godly ki because of how strong their base and super saiyan forms became after the super saiyan god ritual, added onto Frieza's power, and we'll see the original super saiyan form back as the main transformation.
"Hey girlfriend, why don't you throw a few more punches? Afraid you might break a nail or somethin?"
Ken - Street Fighter II

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:14 pm

If Toei has the guts to develop a story arc where a villain can negate their god powers, sure, it's possible. But a big thing about the series has always been a new transformations going forward.

DanielSSJ
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by DanielSSJ » Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:41 pm

If you want to get technical, Super Saiyan Blue is the basic Super Saiyan, just with the power of Super Saiyan God. Technicalities aside, Super Saiyan Yellow(or Gold, if you prefer) probably won't be used anymore, at least by Goku and Vegeta. Gohan, Goten, and Trunks may keep it if they never get the God power.
My Official Unofficial Battle Power list (in-progress: updated 11/8/2022—FREEZA ARC COMPLETED)