Dragon Ball Super ROF arc - Your thoughts?!

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

dae428
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Dragon Ball Super ROF arc - Your thoughts?!

Post by dae428 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:51 pm

Disappointing... The animation was bad and the story was really inconsistent and weird. Resurrection F worked as a movie because it was short and filled with great character interactions and fun crazy battles. Super being a tv series as opposed to a movie could've fleshed out the story and expanded on some really interesting ideas as well as connecting it to another story such as the Champa arc to make it feel less awkwardly contained, but instead, we got a poor man's version of the movie that had some moments of brilliance, but was ultimately just flat out bad... Despite that, I don't think it is necessarily as bad as a lot of people say. The moments leading up to Goku and Vegeta showing up while not great weren't really that bad sans the whole Ginyu thing which really just wasted precious time. Despite the fact that Gohan got completely owned in the arc, I actually thought the portrayal of him was actually pretty gosh darn good. We see the effects of Gohan not training at all and how it's affected his ability to bring out his mystic power. It's only really when Goku fights Freeza that I really feel the arc gets really bad and to be fair the last episode did end things well enough. So yeah... It's not a good arc, but I certainly wouldn't classify it as a terrible.

Eternal Super Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Eternal Super Saiyan » Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:09 am

It's nice that they closed the plot gap with Frieza's henchmen being so strong. But I don't like how they explained Tagoma getting his power. Beating him and throwing him into the rejuvenation chamber every day? Not that I really see any other way a Zarbon-level character can get this strong so fast, but its a bit over the top.

The animation inconsistency is painfully noticeable. Even in the same episode, you'll get scenes that look wonderful but then 2-3 seconds later the characters look awful, and then look great again in another scene.

So many things were different from the RoF movie. Ginyu Frog? C'mon, he hasn't been in the story since Namek or at the very latest pre-Android arc.

They appear to portray Gohan being weaker in Super for some reason. It took forever for him to display more power. (he even claims to have trouble accessing more ki while attacking)

Krillin??? WTF? Scared of Raditz-tier fighters? And I will bet most of them are weaker than beginning of Z Goku. I don't see Roshi getting out of the low hundreds in power level.

Piccolo didn't have his struggle with Shisami, instead he went for Gohan and didn't really do much. And with Gohan hesitating to really make a move on anyone, this was 3-5 wasted minutes right here.

Tagoma even attacking the Z fighters was different, it is a pretty good idea but they wasted too much time talking back and forth. I'm surprised Frieza was able to withstand all of this so patiently without losing his temper.

There wasn't nearly as much action before Goku/Vegeta show up. The characters had WAY too much dialogue here. I felt the movie did a far better job leading you up to the Frieza fight, with lots of martial arts action between the Z fighters.

Suddenly, Goten and Trunks are here in this part of the story? Well, at least they explained why Buu wasn't on scene. Still though, it wasn't necessary. If they didn't have a part in the movie, don't include them.

One interesting part was Frieza killing half of his soldiers powering up to his 4th form. In the RoF movie, everyone was already taken care of and lying on the ground.
Although they failed with giving Frieza a good introduction to Earth. Remember him blowing up a whole city before saying "Hi"? All he did was get out of his spaceship and start talking. Lame.

In Super, apparently Frieza can sense ki? He definitely makes hint of this technique after transforming into his golden form. It may or may not be a mistranslated line though.

I'm happy they left out the "1,300,000" power level randomly mentioned in RoF right after Frieza was resurrected. More people have been saved from this confusion.

Win some, lose lots. 4/10 I give this, while I give RoF movie 7/10.
"Lord Beers, what are those?? Do they taste like root beer?" ~ Goku

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:26 pm

Doctor. wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:
Doctor. wrote:God help this franchise.
How the hell is Dende gonna help the franchise?
I'm more of a Kaioshin follower myself.
I am with you guys :D
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:42 am

I adore episode 16, if you count it as part of this arc, but once the main material gets rolling, it's probably the single worst arc in the franchise, which is a shame because I really enjoy its 90-minute movie version. It's very obviously material written for a one-off film that suffered from very questionable choices in being adapted to episode format and some aggressively terrible production during its climactic fight.

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:52 pm

Bump because I want to.

I enjoy that Vegeta got to finish something he started decades ago...killing every single member of the Ginyu Tokusentai.

TheShadowEmperor8055
Regular

Post by TheShadowEmperor8055 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:14 pm

Bad, disappointing, garbage, wasted potential, horrendous, shitty, awful. I mean ugh, even after a good SSG Goku vs Beerus fight from my perspective in the G&G arc. I only liked Goku and Vegeta's training with Whis. Then everything else was complete toxic waste. Making Kuririn scared, Jaco completely wimp out, Piccolo dying (like, that wasn't necessary). And I didn't even see the point in putting Gotenks in the fight, given how Goten and present Trunks are the spitting image of the two Super Saiyans that beat/killed Freeza, surprised Freeza didn't kill those two. I may go so far as to say it's inferior to the movie (and I loved the RoF movie). The whole Ginyu thing was completely pointless. Funny how this, including the Ginyu bullsh!t, is considered "canon". Bulma recognizing the frog references a "non-canon" filler scene (where Ginyu switches bodies with Bulma) that never happened in the manga/"canon" material before Super. But I guess the good thing that comes out of it is Vegeta killing the entire Ginyu Special Squadron.

And I agree that this was probably the worst arc in the franchise, at least in "canon" material. Toei fails us yet again.

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:24 pm

TheShadowEmperor8055 wrote:Bad, disappointing, garbage, wasted potential, horrendous, shitty, awful. I mean ugh, even after a good SSG Goku vs Beerus fight from my perspective in the G&G arc. I only liked Goku and Vegeta's training with Whis. Then everything else was complete toxic waste. Making Kuririn scared, Jaco completely wimp out, Piccolo dying (like, that wasn't necessary). And I didn't even see the point in putting Gotenks in the fight, given how Goten and present Trunks are the spitting image of the two Super Saiyans that beat/killed Freeza, surprised Freeza didn't kill those two. I may go so far as to say it's inferior to the movie (and I loved the RoF movie). The whole Ginyu thing was completely pointless. Funny how this, including the Ginyu bullsh!t, is considered "canon". Bulma recognizing the frog references a "non-canon" filler scene (where Ginyu switches bodies with Bulma) that never happened in the manga/"canon" material before Super. But I guess the good thing that comes out of it is Vegeta killing the entire Ginyu Special Squadron.

And I agree that this was probably the worst arc in the franchise, at least in "canon" material. Toei fails us yet again.
There's no "canon" in DB, so you can always just pretend the movie happened instead?

TheShadowEmperor8055
Regular

Post by TheShadowEmperor8055 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:38 pm

Duo wrote:There's no "canon" in DB, so you can always just pretend the movie happened instead?
Oh believe me, I know there isn't an official canon in DB (though people act as if there is), hence why I put it in quotes. ;P And I could pretend, but meh. I don't really have a headcanon in DB. ^^

EDIT: I mean, I know there are statements by Toriyama about which media is a "continuation of the manga serialization". And sure, such statements about things that are in that continuation are the closest thing to an official canon. But I know the closest thing to an official canon =/= an official canon.

But less talk about that, sorry. Overall, the RoF arc could have done many things better. Such as showing us Vegeta's training since we didn't get a SSG Vegeta like the G&G/BoG movie implied, and Freeza's training. Would have loved to see what the hell he did to get so strong in just 4 months.

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:53 pm

I'm pretty much with you on all of that. I think the manga did itself a huge favor by leaving that material alone. The amount of missed opportunity in this arc is somewhere between insane and unbelievable.

TheShadowEmperor8055
Regular

Post by TheShadowEmperor8055 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:02 pm

Duo wrote:I'm pretty much with you on all of that. I think the manga did itself a huge favor by leaving that material alone. The amount of missed opportunity in this arc is somewhere between insane and unbelievable.
Definitely agree with you there. Part of the reason why I consider the manga to be much better than the anime in the first place. And yeah, the amount of wasted potential is unfathomable in this arc.

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:43 pm

TheShadowEmperor8055 wrote:Definitely agree with you there. Part of the reason why I consider the manga to be much better than the anime in the first place. And yeah, the amount of wasted potential is unfathomable in this arc.
It's like a curse, haha! I always preferred the manga back in the day, and had chip on my shoulder about it for no sane reason for a while...ten years later, and the anime is disappointing me much more than the manga. Like poetry, it rhymes.

Only now the manga is behind the anime, and the odds of me finding an appreciation for the anime is weak. Z had problems, but the voice acting and music are genuine artwork. Oy.

TheShadowEmperor8055
Regular

Post by TheShadowEmperor8055 » Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:06 am

Duo wrote: It's like a curse, haha! I always preferred the manga back in the day, and had chip on my shoulder about it for no sane reason for a while...ten years later, and the anime is disappointing me much more than the manga. Like poetry, it rhymes.

Only now the manga is behind the anime, and the odds of me finding an appreciation for the anime is weak. Z had problems, but the voice acting and music are genuine artwork. Oy.
Precisely. Gotta love the DB manga. I have that chip as well. Sad part about it is, from what I know, the vast majority of fans haven't even read the DB manga (it's even worse in the US). So you have to deal with DB fans who begin complaining about how in the RoF movie and Super's RoF arc about how Freeza was not aware that Goku beat Buu, then they say "Freeza, you literally saw Goku beat Buu from Hell!" (because they don't know that scene was a filler scene because they aren't aware of what happened in the DB manga). So yeah, I perfectly understand having a chip on your shoulder for preferring manga. ^^

Even with the manga being behind the anime, and with Toei's handling of Super, I still am always looking more forward to how the story is portrayed in the manga than the anime, as I take Toyotaro's work with Super more seriously than Toei's product.

And yeah, DBZ's voice acting and music production are legendary, even though the show isn't flawless. Ah, the classics.

Kuririn Fan
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Kuririn Fan » Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:09 am

Dragon Ball is the third best selling manga and the best selling one that finished. That research was bullshit, they asked like 10 people.

TheShadowEmperor8055
Regular

Post by TheShadowEmperor8055 » Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:11 am

Kuririn Fan wrote:Dragon Ball is the third best selling manga and the best selling one that finished. That research was bullshit, they asked like 10 people.
Glad to know that. ^^ Still is sad how some fans still can't differentiate filler from manga though (given the whole Freeza thing and ugh).

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:21 am

TheShadowEmperor8055 wrote: Precisely. Gotta love the DB manga. I have that chip as well. Sad part about it is, from what I know, the vast majority of fans haven't even read the DB manga (it's even worse in the US). So you have to deal with DB fans who begin complaining about how in the RoF movie and Super's RoF arc about how Freeza was not aware that Goku beat Buu, then they say "Freeza, you literally saw Goku beat Buu from Hell!" (because they don't know that scene was a filler scene because they aren't aware of what happened in the DB manga). So yeah, I perfectly understand having a chip on your shoulder for preferring manga. ^^

Even with the manga being behind the anime, and with Toei's handling of Super, I still am always looking more forward to how the story is portrayed in the manga than the anime, as I take Toyotaro's work with Super more seriously than Toei's product.

And yeah, DBZ's voice acting and music production are legendary, even though the show isn't flawless. Ah, the classics.
I hope that statistic is not true. And you're definitely right about issues like that. I don't believe I have the chip anymore, but a decade ago it seemed like nobody was paying any attention to it and didn't generally regard it as the proper source material. It seems like the community here shifted away from that a long time ago, though, so there's no real battle to be fought. It's just a shame, because the original manga is and always will be my favorite. Super's printed version does a pretty good job of following the spirit and Toyotaro is a great artist and seems like he gets the characters for the most part. He does the old work honor, it's just really weird how things are playing out.

buutenks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by buutenks » Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:08 pm

I guess i am one of the rare people who actually enjoyed all of super except for episode 15(not the mr satan punching goku, was hilarious lol, but rest lame).

Bog movie i watched once and never again, while bog arc battles and other episodes i watched multiple times.Rof movie i rewatched goku vs freeza a couple of times and vegeta vs freeza, since super wasnt at that point in the anime. But once those episodes were released i simply rewatched super goku vs freeza and vegeta vs freeza.And hands down episode 27 best episode so far, and episode 12 is up there due to it showing just how OP 2 gods fighting is.

Overall i enjoy and like that db has a new arc,i enjoy that they retold rof and bog. And i hope super will keep running for a long time hehe.

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:36 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote:I stopped watching after I saw Vegeta in a pink apron willing to wipe Beerus' butt for training. Curiosity led me to watch the episode where Ginyu returned. As expected, it was weak, poorly executed, and pointless in the long run. Finally, I gave episode 26 a try. The cutaways, battle, and animation were so bad, I questioned why I bothered.
I'm just so glad others feel this way and hate this trash for what it is... I'm am repeatedly hating on Super the way others hate on GT. I use to wonder why in the world people could hate something that's about something they supposedly love.. Then we got Super and I fully understood. every time I thought Super might do something fantastic it turns around as does something terrible..

buutenks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by buutenks » Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:42 am

Hmm if you all hate it so much why do you continue watching it?

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:33 am

buutenks wrote:Hmm if you all hate it so much why do you continue watching it?
Because I'm interested in what happens to some of my favorite characters in their new adventure. Doesn't mean I have to like what happens at all.

worrior_v1
Not-So-Newbie

Post by worrior_v1 » Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:25 am

TheMikado wrote:
buutenks wrote:Hmm if you all hate it so much why do you continue watching it?
Because I'm interested in what happens to some of my favorite characters in their new adventure. Doesn't mean I have to like what happens at all.
Lol the tournament arc is what is saving super right now, stop hating.