Would the Universe 6 saga have worked as a movie?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kuririn Fan
Banned Alternate Account

Re: Would the Universe 6 saga have worked as a movie?

Post by Kuririn Fan » Sun May 22, 2016 11:45 am

Headcanon that works better than "10 days to Cell Games" headcanon.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Sun May 22, 2016 7:10 pm

It wound up being a fairly self-contained tournament focused on Goku and Vegeta, on the heroes' side, so yes--I think it very well could. Several of the fights wouldn't need to last longer than a few minutes--Botamo's a joke that helps establish the weirdness of Universe 6's fighters and Goku and Vegeta's overwhelming superiority in terms of strength--Piccolo vs. Frost is touch-and-go and actually felt padded taking up the length of an entire anime episode (the manga didn't even feature the Makankosappo, right? that'd put its pacing right on track for a movie).

Really, there's quite a bit of fat to be trimmed even maintaining all the important characterizing beats and some interaction with the crowd. It's easily contained enough for a single 90 minute-2-hour film; one that wouldn't even feel strangely paced.
Dbzfan94 wrote:
Kuririn Fan wrote:Thats a what-if movie, what-if Vegeta killed Cell, but yeah, i see what youre saying.
That's just headcanon but it's possible
I doubt anyone involved thought of it in terms that explicit, but all the movies take place as if the conflict of the main story had been suddenly resolved with all characters in whatever status quo they'd be in at the time, sans dead/alive status (though sometimes that's maintained too).

Sodhi
I Live Here

Post by Sodhi » Sun May 22, 2016 7:46 pm

I think if they will make this movie then its definitely possible. I would personally like them to make the movie straight out of the manga, so we have a few minor differences than the anime version, and manga is paced a lot faster.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Tue May 24, 2016 11:28 am

Someone here should try doing one of those supercuts like what someone did with Resurrection F. Try and fit the 14 episodes into a 2 hour movie.

If other people here got involved and decided on what scenes should be included or not, I bet they could come out with something good.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Tue May 24, 2016 11:29 am

Bullza wrote:Someone here should try doing one of those supercuts like what someone did with Resurrection F. Try and fit the 14 episodes into a 2 hour movie.

If other people here got involved and decided on what scenes should be included or not, I bet they could come out with something good.
It would be possible with all of the footage Super has, the issue is with the audio. Due to it being stereo, you can't isolate the dialogue and effects from the score, making seamless edits very difficult. If it weren't for that, I'd totally do it.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Tue May 24, 2016 5:51 pm

How did you do it for the Super Cut of Resurrection F? That used footage from Super right?

ROCKYIII
Not-So-Newbie

Post by ROCKYIII » Fri Jun 03, 2016 2:26 am

I think one of the big problems with the arc is that it FELT like a DBZ movie (like a bojack type movie). In these movies there's always one plot point and a central bad guy that gets beat at the end. Which is exactly what happened here. There was a central tourney premise, filler characters who could have definitely fit in a movie, and Hit, the main bad guy.

However, in DBZ (and most anime), there are multiple sections to an arc which would feel strange in a movie.

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Post by OmegaRockman » Sat Jun 04, 2016 3:10 am

Bullza wrote:How did you do it for the Super Cut of Resurrection F? That used footage from Super right?
Yes, but if I recall correctly, Ajay left the audio from the Super scenes pretty much intact. In fact, I think I remember him saying in the Q&A video with Geekdom that he couldn't do certain things since Super doesn't have 5.1 audio.
The self-proclaimed World's Biggest Dragon Ball Kai Fan™

My YouTube

Meshack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Meshack » Tue Jun 07, 2016 5:52 pm

JulieYBM wrote:It would definitely work as a movie.

00:00-15:00: Introduce Champa and Vados during Gokuu and Vegeta's training and set up the tournament
16:00-20:00: Gokuu and Vegeta return to Earth and form their team. Everyone begins training for the tournament, montage included.
21:00-30:00: Blooma and Jako hunt down Zuno.
31:00-36:00: The day of the tournament arrives and everyone meets up to travel to the Nameless Planet.
37:00-47:00: Introductions and shenanigans ensue when the two universes meet.
48:00-53:00: Gokuu battles and defeats Botamo.
54:00-60:00: Gokuu battles and is defeated by Frost.
61:00-64:00: Piccolo battles and is defeated by Frost.
65:00-69:00: Frost is revealed to have been cheating by using a weapon. Piccolo forfeits because he figures he can't win, anyway.
70:00-71:00: Vegeta swiftly defeats Frost.
72:00-79:00: Vegeta battles and defeats Magetta.
80:00-90:00: Vegeta battles and defeats Cabba.
91:00-95:00: Vegeta battles and is defeated by Hit.
96:00-106:00: Gokuu battles and ties with Hit.
107:00-112:00: The Zen-Ou appears and admonishes Beers and Champa for neglecting their duties, but says the tournament was a lot of fun to watch, so he wants to hold another tournament between all of the universes. Gokuu and Hit promise to have a conclusive rematch at the next tournament.
113:00+: Credits.

One Piece: Strong World was 113 minutes, so a movie of similar length shouldn't be hard at all.
I would also have the movie end with the Suoer Shenlong summon. Add 5-8 more minutes

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:03 pm

There's no reason why it couldn't. We just endured two previous sagas that were movies previously. The reverse could easily be done.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:14 pm

Overall no I don't think so. Run time won't be too long aaaaaand there is a lot to take in and introduce and then the fights would to be super quick and probably unsatisfying.

The anime arc was roughly 280mins, I don't think you could trim that down to a 90-100 minute movie without it feeling rushed.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:03 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Overall no I don't think so. Run time won't be too long aaaaaand there is a lot to take in and introduce and then the fights would to be super quick and probably unsatisfying.

The anime arc was roughly 280mins, I don't think you could trim that down to a 90-100 minute movie without it feeling rushed.
The animated series had to work within a constraining high number of episodes, damned near no allotted drawings and no time for its two good animators to do good animation. A movie doesn't necessarily have to work within those constraints, especially if directed by an actually good director with good animators on hand.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Kuririn Fan
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Kuririn Fan » Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:23 pm

JulieYBM wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Overall no I don't think so. Run time won't be too long aaaaaand there is a lot to take in and introduce and then the fights would to be super quick and probably unsatisfying.

The animated series had to work within a constraining high number of episodes, damned near no allotted drawings and no time for its two good animators to do good animation. A movie doesn't necessarily have to work within those constraints, especially if directed by an actually good director with good animators on hand.
A lot of great moments and fights in Dragon Ball/Z deserved better art and animation, and they weren't made into movies.