I'm enjoying the Trunks and Mai love story

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Re: I'm enjoying the Trunks and Mai love story

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:30 pm

I've been a fan of the pairing ever since it was first brought up as a joke in Battle of Gods. Sure, it can be a little creepy if you look at it from a real-wold perspective...but the real world wouldn't have a woman getting turned back into a child in the first place.
Cipher wrote:
In all this years i think Akira has learned much from other animes
This seems like exactly his M.O., actually. Beginning relationships through tenuous happenstance or a joke, and skipping any development before actually bringing the characters together.

The sole major exceptions in his work are Senbei and Midori, and Gohan and Videl. And even then, only kind of.
Wait, I could be missing something here, but didn't...

[spoiler]Didn't Senbei only end up with Midori because of overhearing his talking about how much he liked her...while he was on the toilet?[/spoiler]

I admit I haven't read or seen that portion of the series myself, and I'm relying on what I've heard of it, but if that's accurate, that's still pretty abrupt and building upon a joke too IMO. :lol:
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Fri Oct 07, 2016 11:00 pm

Gyt Kaliba wrote:[spoiler]Didn't Senbei only end up with Midori because of overhearing his talking about how much he liked her...while he was on the toilet?[/spoiler]

I admit I haven't read or seen that portion of the series myself, and I'm relying on what I've heard of it, but if that's accurate, that's still pretty abrupt and building upon a joke too IMO. :lol:
Yeah. It just has a sustained build-up unlike the more comparatively sudden pairings of Goku and Chi-Chi, Kururin and #18, Vegeta and Bulma, etc. The actual coupling is as jokey and sudden as any employed afterward, but at least there's some history, even in the form of a long-running one-sided crush.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Fri Oct 07, 2016 11:02 pm

Ohhh, okay. I get what you mean now, yeah - even that's far less abrupt than how Chi Chi re-appears out of nowhere in the manga, or how quickly Vegeta and Bulma are thrown together. I misunderstood what you were saying at first.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

ailema88
Not-So-Newbie

Post by ailema88 » Fri Oct 07, 2016 11:30 pm

I don't have problem with this couple but I enjoy more Vegeta and Bulma moments cause more than romantic are very funny, moreover I think sometimes Trunks behaves like a teenager when he's with Mai that bothers me.. beyond that I don't have complains about the age cause there is an explanation about why Mai and Trunks are in the same age.. so I think they're cute and Thank God with this we can kill the TruPan ship that sucks!!

sailorspazz
Advanced Regular

Post by sailorspazz » Sat Oct 08, 2016 3:45 am

In Battle of Gods, I didn't really care about their relationship one way or the other. Basically seemed like just a joke, especially given the large age difference between the two (but even though we know she's actually older, all of the Pilaf Gang acts so young anyway that it still comes across as innocent somehow).

The future Trunks and Mai, on the other hand, are really making me root for this pairing to work out. Trunks has gone through so much shit in his life, please just let him be happy for once! Even though they've denied their relationship up to this point, probably after everything is settled and Zamasu/Black aren't threatening their world anymore, they'll finally relax and settle down together. It's the happy ending our time-traveling pretty boy has truly earned :thumbup:
A veteran fan-girl past her prime
Host of Fujoshi Trash Talk at Anibros Creative podcast network
Twitter | Tumblr | Fanfics at fanfiction.net and ao3 | DeviantArt | YouTube

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Sat Oct 08, 2016 5:34 am

ailema88 wrote:...so I think they're cute and Thank God with this we can kill the TruPan ship that sucks!!
I never understood that shipping anyway. Pan in GT was 9 both physically and mentally. Alarm bells.
Most Dragon Ball shipping is gay anyway, so Trunks and Future Trunks being shown to have female romantic interests actually ruins quite a few other ships as well. Trunks x Goten, for example. That's a big one. There's also some Future Trunks x Future Gohan around. Of course, the characters' canon sexualities won't really stop those people.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Sat Oct 08, 2016 6:14 am

ailema88 wrote: Thank God with this we can kill the TruPan ship that sucks!!
You can never kill it, it shall always lurk around haunting you. IT FEEDS ON THE PWOER TO PISS YOU OFF!
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

ailema88
Not-So-Newbie

Post by ailema88 » Sat Oct 08, 2016 10:46 am

I know it can't kill the pedophils fanarts but at least kill the expectations of the fans to see that suck ship became canon... :lol:

percula

Post by percula » Sat Oct 15, 2016 12:34 pm

sailorspazz wrote:In Battle of Gods, I didn't really care about their relationship one way or the other. Basically seemed like just a joke, especially given the large age difference between the two (but even though we know she's actually older, all of the Pilaf Gang acts so young anyway that it still comes across as innocent somehow).

The future Trunks and Mai, on the other hand, are really making me root for this pairing to work out. Trunks has gone through so much shit in his life, please just let him be happy for once! Even though they've denied their relationship up to this point, probably after everything is settled and Zamasu/Black aren't threatening their world anymore, they'll finally relax and settle down together. It's the happy ending our time-traveling pretty boy has truly earned :thumbup:
I feel the same. It was really funny in Battle of Gods, and I didn't take it too seriously - I barely noticed that it was dropped in the Super retelling - but when the promotional poster for the Future Trunks arc came out, I suddenly thought - whoa, they are actually meant for each other, in all the timelines :D And now it seems obvious that after the villains are defeated, they will settle down together. It's such a Dragon Ball pairing, since it has a weird element (the age difference), but it's so sweet, since they both care for each other so much. I wonder what will happen with their present counterparts.
And yeah, it's great to know that Future Trunks found someone. :)

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Sat Oct 15, 2016 12:42 pm

ailema88 wrote:I know it can't kill the pedophils fanarts but at least kill the expectations of the fans to see that suck ship became canon... :lol:
I thought that fad died out to be replaced with the TrunksXSKOT shipping?

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Sat Oct 15, 2016 2:38 pm

You know what, I don't mind it.
The story between Trunks and Mai is not forced and focused on. Just portrayed in a subtle and comedic manner.
These two do have a real bond there relationship is based on.

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:11 am

And so, they flew away into a new future, together.

:thumbup: :clap:
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

Big Black Sayian
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Big Black Sayian » Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:35 am

DragonBallFoodie wrote:And so, they flew away into a new future, together.

If they come back they better bring grandchildren for Bulma :)

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Nov 20, 2016 1:49 pm

Big Black Saiyan wrote:
DragonBallFoodie wrote:And so, they flew away into a new future, together.

If they come back they better bring grandchildren for Bulma :)
I hope they don't come back. I love Future Trunks and his arc was the best the franchise has produced but... retire the character for God's sake, and move on.

SingleFringe&Sparks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by SingleFringe&Sparks » Sun Nov 20, 2016 3:00 pm

Avery wrote:I like how subtle the anime made it compared to the manga in the ealier episodes. I think it fits more with Toriyama's writing style, but that's just me. As to why they act like teenagers, well, Trunks is really shy when it comes to such topics (watch the scene where he explains how his parents got together to Goku) and the Pilaf gang have always been naive and innocent when it comes to romance, too. They don't exactly have time to start a serious relationship, either. Not to mention, most DB characters don't act their age anyways, especially in Super. (Not a complaint)
fadeddreams5 wrote:I'm more interested in the Zamasu and Black love story.
Make it canon, Toriyama!
I think the subtlety was the best way they did it. Without making his feelings a cheesy emphasis overhead of Trunks' or used as his sole motivation used to overpower Zamasu. I'm glad it was just a background element for his character, and it didn't get in the way of the priorities in the plot. So it was handled well, and not forced in unlike some other anime today.
Zephyr wrote:The fandom's collective fetishizing of "moments" is also ridiculous to me. No, not everyone needs a fucking "shine" moment. If that's all you want, then all you want is fanservice, rather than an actual coherent story. And of course those aren't mutually exclusive; you could have a coherent story with "shine" moments! But if a story is perfectly coherent (and I'm really not seeing any compelling arguments that this one is anything but, despite constantly recurring, really poorly reasoned, attempts to argue otherwise), and you're bemoaning the lack of "shine" moments as a reason for the story's poor quality, then you're letting your thirst for "shine" moments obfuscate your ability to detect basic storytelling when it's right in front of you.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:57 pm

We still have the kid Trunks and Mai love story, which we're sure going to see more of.

NeithR

Post by NeithR » Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:06 pm

Looking forward for their child now especially the future counter parts :D.

Also will Bulla be their child?
I mean combine "Bul" from Bulma and "la" from Pilaf name, you get "Bulla".
[Bul]ma + Pi[la] => Bulla

F Trunks picked Bulma name to respect his mother.
F Mai picked Pilaf name to respect his former emperor.

dragonballhero
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by dragonballhero » Thu Nov 24, 2016 8:51 pm

You know what I find VERY ironic? I'm almost certain that there are some TruPan shippers out there who absolutely HATE this pairing, because not only is Mai steadily turning TruMai into a canon pairing, but Mai herself even looks almost IDENTICAL to Pan in Dragon Ball GT. I wonder if the TruPan supporters consider it a slap in the face to them?

Thanos6
Advanced Regular

Post by Thanos6 » Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:13 pm

I can--grudgingly--accept the future pairing, though I still dislike it. The most important thing is Mirai Trunks's happiness.

But in the present timeline, HELL NO. Aside from all the creepy subtext, that version of Trunks belongs with Goten, period.
Trunks & Goten forever

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:38 pm

dragonballhero wrote:You know what I find VERY ironic? I'm almost certain that there are some TruPan shippers out there who absolutely HATE this pairing,
All us shippers have a small outcry when a different ship becomes cannon :D
but Mai herself even looks almost IDENTICAL to Pan in Dragon Ball GT.
Holy shit, you're right!
I wonder if the TruPan supporters consider it a slap in the face to them?
I prefer never use the term 'Slap in the face' unironically unless someone actually slaps m in the face.

Kanassa wrote: