The Vegeta Controversy - What did you expect?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Yomi
Regular

The Vegeta Controversy - What did you expect?

Post by Yomi » Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:29 pm

There's been a community Backlash to Vegeta's recent battle with Goku Black.
What did they really expect to happen? Vegeta to come in there and end Black
because "he needs a kill", arc over. Would that really make people happier? Did
they also forget that Goku was also beaten by Black, then spared by Zamasu?

I don't see the supposed formula. Of Vegeta getting jobbed.
I remember it happened with Cell and Frieza.

Beerus beats Goku first, then everyone else, then beats Goku again.

Goku was winning against Golden Frieza, Golden Frieza cheap shotted Goku,
Vegeta was winning, Golden Frieza cheep shotted Vegeta, then Goku steals his kill because he had to.

Vegeta loses to hit, Goku loses to hit.

I'm not seeing the pattern here. Especially this supposed pattern of Goku "coming in and beating up the bad guy and saving the day"
since he hasn't beaten one bad guy in Super since Frieza I suppose. Monaka defeated Copy Vegeta.
:clap:

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: The Vegeta Controversy - What did you expect?

Post by Cipher » Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:34 pm

If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:44 pm

I'm sure the people complaining are the ones that have clamored for decades that Vegeta should get a kill.

That said, me personally, I would have enjoyed a longer battle/beatdown, and/or far better choreography and animation. What we got was a very rushed and uninspired sequence. Compare it to when Majin Vegeta fought Majin Buu. At first, he is mercilessly beating him down--you can almost feel every blow! Piccolo is stunned by his power increase. Then, the tables quickly turn and it becomes clear Vegeta is outclassed. This culminates in his sacrifice. It was an amazing showdown with similar results to the recent Goku Black clash, but it was divided into longer phases: Vegeta's beatdown, Fat Buu's power-up and torture, and Vegeta's sacrifice. It was simply more exciting and compelling.

I just feel this was a very important battle in Super, with many events unfolding in it, but ultimately, it felt anticlimactic and lazy. Everyone knew how this fight was going to play out (well, besides passionate Vegeta fanboys), but the way it did left a lot to be desired. I am sure Toyotaro will draw a better fight than this in his manga.
Last edited by fadeddreams5 on Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:48 pm

The controversy is that Vegeta never gets credit for saving the day. Gohan got one, I guess Piccolo got one with Radditz, Trunks technically got a few in his own timeline plus the mecha Frieza save. The complain is that Vegeta's only function is to make Goku look good and never gets to save the day himself against the big Bad.

This one was particularly bad similar to the Hit one where Vegeta was out in like three punches as SSB but Goku fights Hit in base.. He was just conpletely upstaged even at supposedly similar power levels and this time the enemy added insult to injury by stating Vegeta was nothing and he was waiting to fight Goku for he real battle. After a while I guess fans get tired of hearing that even if the character doesn't.

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:56 pm

What, just because the humans, Piccolo, a18, Buu and non important Saiyans was removed from fighting, Dragonball Super would stop being a shonen series? Of course not!

The only thing that may subvert everything is that Trunks will become SSJBlue, and even so, he'll either kill one or none of Black and Zamasu. The fat may have been trimmed, but shonen is still shonen. And Goku is still Goku, and Vegeta's job is to make Goku look good.
Last edited by FoolsGil on Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ChronoTwigger
Advanced Regular

Post by ChronoTwigger » Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:56 pm

There are people asking for a Piccolo god boost, so the problem is not Vegeta. Is the people.
I learned english listening to songs. So I don't know anything about. The day you had to learn play piano by just listening .mp3, you'll understand.

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:04 pm

ChronoTwigger wrote:There are people asking for a Piccolo god boost, so the problem is not Vegeta. Is the people.
To be honest, now they we know you can mysteriously gain it through 6 months of training there's no real reason for Piccolo not to get God Ki, similar to why there's no reason the guys training with King Kai couldn't learn kaioken for the sake of staying relevant later.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:08 pm

A good amount of Vegeta's fans are too blind to see that he's one of the best handled characters in the franchises.

He was the 1st and only villain to truly beat Goku.
He was one of the hardest villains to beat and even then he only lost because of his miscalculation of where Gohan would fall.
He was Namek's 2nd main character and got multiple great fights and wiped out the majority of Freeza's men.
Bulma dumped Ymacha for him.
His son killed Freeza and is one of the franchise's best characters.
He was the 2nd Saiyan to reach Ssj and he saved Goku from #19 before completely destroying him.
He was the 1st Saiyan to go beyond Ssj and he completely owned Cell.
He was the only character who managed to help Gohan defeat Cell.
He was the only character who truly developed in the Buu arc.
He was the only Z fighter to be part of the manga's final battle.
During BOG he managed to surpass both mystic Gohan and Ssj3 Goku as a Ssj2.
During the RF arc he was the one who got to beat down Freeza while Goku got beaten up and nearly killed.
During the U6 arc he got beat 3 of their fighters and fight Hit.

Unfortunately, the above goes unnoticed and all they want is for him to get a kill even though what he got in the RF arc was a lot better cause the alternative would've been him getting beaten up left and right by Freeza only to kill him after Goku had already gotten him down on his knees.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Yomi
Regular

Post by Yomi » Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:18 pm

sintzu wrote: During the U6 arc he got beat 3 of their fighters and fight Hit.

Unfortunately, the above goes unnoticed and all they want is for him to get a kill even though what he got in the RF arc was a lot better cause the alternative would've been him getting beaten up left and right by Freeza only to kill him after Goku had already gotten him down on his knees.

I forgot all about that, Vegeta fought 3 people in succession and people really expected him to just hand Hit his ass?
Such weird fans.
:clap:

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:43 pm

Yomi wrote:
sintzu wrote: During the U6 arc he got beat 3 of their fighters and fight Hit.

I forgot all about that, Vegeta fought 3 people in succession and people really expected him to just hand Hit his ass?
Such weird fans.
Well no the issue is he essentially one shots each of those guys as a SSJ. Then goes SSB and goes down on three hits which Goku starts out in base. Yes Vegeta has a decent all around life, but his character really is there to make Goku shine above all else which is the complaint. My personal preference is that Vegeta not be around at all and doing his own thing at her than being Gokus constant wingman.

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:02 am

TheMikado wrote:
ChronoTwigger wrote:There are people asking for a Piccolo god boost, so the problem is not Vegeta. Is the people.
To be honest, now they we know you can mysteriously gain it through 6 months of training there's no real reason for Piccolo not to get God Ki, similar to why there's no reason the guys training with King Kai couldn't learn kaioken for the sake of staying relevant later.
Vegeta is only a God due to SSJB, otherwise he wouldn't have any God Ki. If you're a Saiyan in Dragon Ball you won the genetic lottery. Being a Namekian isn't bad but we've seen the ceiling.
sintzu wrote:He was the 1st and only villain to truly beat Goku.
Tao Pai Pai, Piccolo Daimao and Raditz. The last one we can consider a tie, he still beat Goku.

MozillaVulpix
Regular

Post by MozillaVulpix » Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:04 am

The problem comes with fans who seriously think Vegeta should be the main character of this series. Basically because they don't like Goku, and they think Vegeta is a better character, so he deserves to be the main character. And because Gohan killed Cell, that means every character is allowed to kill a main villain at some point. Even though the only reason Gohan got to kill Cell was because Goku was being retired.

That being said, I am a LITTLE worried that Vegeta might be getting Worfed a bit too often in Super. At least against Hit, he showed off his competence by beating 3 guys in a row just before that. But here, we hadn't seen Vegeta fight in the whole arc, and the first thing he gets is a loss. If they don't establish him as a competent fighter at some point, it could seriously start getting to Yamcha in Dragon Ball levels.
I could have gotten into anything...and yet I chose the story aimed at young Japanese boys about martial arts, and later about super-powerful aliens punching each other really hard.

https://www.youtube.com/c/MozillaVulpix

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:12 am

LightBing wrote:
TheMikado wrote:
Vegeta is only a God due to SSJB, otherwise he wouldn't have any God Ki. If you're a Saiyan in Dragon Ball you won the genetic lottery. Being a Namekian isn't bad but we've seen the ceiling.
sintzu wrote:He was the 1st and only villain to truly beat Goku.
Tao Pai Pai, Piccolo Daimao and Raditz. The last one we can consider a tie, he still beat Goku.
And Cell. Either by giving up and admitting that he couldn't win, or dying at Cell's hands when he blew himself up. Either way, Goku lost. Beerus beats him in BoG, Freeza and Sorbet beat him in RF, with Goku coming back later to finish Freeza off, but I think we can consider that a separate event than the actual fight.

I'd argue that Vegeta didn't even really definitively beat Goku in the first place. Goku was crippled, sure, but he was still actively contributing to the fight up until the end. Goku is the one that got Gohan under control, and it's not like he was knocked out or anything; Vegeta was still beating up on him up until right before Gohan transformed.

As for Sinzu's list, you can put so many asterisks beside each of those points that it's ridiculous.
Last edited by Kamiccolo9 on Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Lujin_16
Regular

Post by Lujin_16 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:14 am

He lost at the beginning right but what if he becomes a 2 chance??

I would wait :wink:

Hit!!
Regular

Post by Hit!! » Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:20 am

I'm starting to think Vegeta is putting on an act. He might not be as wounded as we think he is.

Nejishiki
I Live Here

Post by Nejishiki » Mon Aug 29, 2016 3:40 am

Hit!! wrote:I'm starting to think Vegeta is putting on an act. He might not be as wounded as we think he is.
Yes, it's merely a flesh wound. :P He's been through (relatively) worse hell when it comes to pain and punishment. He'll walk it off.

SansrivaaL
I Live Here

Post by SansrivaaL » Mon Aug 29, 2016 3:51 am

Are people already forgetting Vegeta just defeated Goku? via rock paper scissors. He's already defeated his lifetime rival, why complain more?

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:23 am

SansrivaaL wrote:Are people already forgetting Vegeta just defeated Goku? via rock paper scissors. He's already defeated his lifetime rival, why complain more?
Then Vegeta shouldn't have been so dead-set on fighting Goku again in the Buu Arc, as he also won the Rock-Paper-Scissors then!

SansrivaaL
I Live Here

Post by SansrivaaL » Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:49 am

dbgtFO wrote:
SansrivaaL wrote:Are people already forgetting Vegeta just defeated Goku? via rock paper scissors. He's already defeated his lifetime rival, why complain more?
Then Vegeta shouldn't have been so dead-set on fighting Goku again in the Buu Arc, as he also won the Rock-Paper-Scissors then!
But.... but didnt Goku won that rock paper scissors match then?

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:29 am

:lol: You got me! To be honest, a lot of Vegeta fans won't be satisfied until he's completely equal to Goku. Who cares if Goku's the main character? Who cares if he got lucky enough to be the only other relevant character from Z? They want more.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.