Give the blood back!!

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

PsionicWarrior
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Give the blood back!!

Post by PsionicWarrior » Sun Oct 23, 2016 2:57 pm

I mean seriously, it looks fracking disturbing to see holes in bodies without a single drop of blood lol
Last edited by PsionicWarrior on Sun Oct 23, 2016 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MegaBossMan
Not-So-Newbie

Re: Give the blood back!!

Post by MegaBossMan » Sun Oct 23, 2016 3:20 pm

Is there really any particular benefit towards Super utilizing blood, really? I get the whole point of immersion, but at the same time I've never watched Dragon Ball for the sake of realism. The only thing I could see that contributing in is the impact of attacks, but personally I think that's something Super's been weak in from the start and I'd much rather see better direction in that aspect rather than simply going "Oh look he threw up blood". It's something I actually appreciate Super for, it's not relying on blood loss in order to emphasize the ferocity of a scene. I do see your point about the whole empty hole stuff, but filling it with red would look even worse to me, but anything more and you run into it being too grotesque.
By jove, I've got nothing important to say!

PsionicWarrior

Post by PsionicWarrior » Sun Oct 23, 2016 3:50 pm

It's not that I want it to be gore or something, but personally it creeps me out, dudes have holes in their bodies, no blood, it's just not natural lol

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Oct 23, 2016 4:59 pm

PsionicWarrior wrote:It's not that I want it to be gore or something, but personally it creeps me out, dudes have holes in their bodies, no blood, it's just not natural lol
You could always say the ki attacks cauterise the wound and stop it bleeding. Must like what lightsabers do in Star Wars.

zamasu121
Beyond Newbie

Post by zamasu121 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 5:24 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
PsionicWarrior wrote:It's not that I want it to be gore or something, but personally it creeps me out, dudes have holes in their bodies, no blood, it's just not natural lol
You could always say the ki attacks cauterise the wound and stop it bleeding. Must like what lightsabers do in Star Wars.
you could say that but we all know its because of censorship although trunks was throwing up blood when he was stabbed

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 5:59 pm

We saw blood earlier on planet Badari. We also saw bits of blood earlier too in the saga. Dragon Ball never that violent to me, so I'm okay with less blood if we get a good character. Anime and Manga like Hellsing, Ninja Scroll, Blood C, Devilman, The Guyver, Battle Angel, Mad Bull 34, Higurashi When They Cry and several others are what I consider to be violent anime. Dragon Ball is Blue Clues compare to them.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Makai
Beyond Newbie

Post by Makai » Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:46 pm

Z had plenty of blood, and not saying Super has to go as far as Z did on it, but of course it's kinda disappointing barely having any at all. You'd expect to see more blood in a fighting show like Dragon Ball, especially when they're stabbing and blowing holes through each other. I'd rather there not be any damage shown at all than just some black hole. Just looks wierd, and too tame.

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:58 am

I am not sure if the blood is really that necessary. Maybe for some but the lack of it did not really give me any less entertainment. Sometimes it seems a bit weird and I would add maybe slightly more but it does not need to be like in DBZ.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

Black_Liger
Advanced Regular

Post by Black_Liger » Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:30 am

We've got some blood on super, but let's be real, dragon ball has never been too particularity gory or blood (except for the manga) there WAS some blood, but there are times when blood was also completely missing, like when Trunks sliced up Freeza, there was chunks flying around but no blood, also, Buu's skin and regeneration almost completely removed blood dripping from him.
There's room for only one snake, and one big boss.

Faisal Shourov
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Faisal Shourov » Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:29 am

Makai wrote:Z had plenty of blood, and not saying Super has to go as far as Z did on it, but of course it's kinda disappointing barely having any at all. You'd expect to see more blood in a fighting show like Dragon Ball, especially when they're stabbing and blowing holes through each other. I'd rather there not be any damage shown at all than just some black hole. Just looks wierd, and too tame.
Z came out before political correctness became mainstream, now audience are too pussy to see gore on TV
Toyotarō: … I get the feeling I’ve just heard something amazing (laughs). Lord Beerus and Whis turn up in Dragon Ball Super, and have become an unsurpassable wall for Goku and the gang. What do the two of them mean to you?

Toriyama: Well… First off, right now I don’t have any plans for Goku and Vegeta to surpass Beerus and Whis.

PsionicWarrior

Post by PsionicWarrior » Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:33 am

The Monkey King
Advanced Regular

Post by The Monkey King » Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:14 am

I agree. It just looks fucking stupid seeing characters with holes blown through them with zero blood coming out.
When Gohan got hit by Freeza's death beams he looked like a more like swiss cheese than suffering from serious injury.

Also without blood it sometimes looks like the characters are sustaining zero damage and causes fights to lack the edge DBZ had.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:37 am

Faisal Shourov wrote:
Makai wrote:Z had plenty of blood, and not saying Super has to go as far as Z did on it, but of course it's kinda disappointing barely having any at all. You'd expect to see more blood in a fighting show like Dragon Ball, especially when they're stabbing and blowing holes through each other. I'd rather there not be any damage shown at all than just some black hole. Just looks wierd, and too tame.
Z came out before political correctness became mainstream, now audience are too pussy to see gore on TV
You couldn't have said it any better
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Mazingerdestro
Regular

Post by Mazingerdestro » Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:03 am

I don't think that blood would benefit the series at all. The way it is animated makes blood practically useless. Also it's like season 4 people can't get over the blood. There are like 50 billion anime with blood. It's not like db was the only show with blood. You can watch something else.

Saying "bring something back" should equal with "I want this because this will make the show better". Blood right now won't benefit the show.

On the contrary I find it really disturbing how all the new sound effects suck the impact of each hit. These battles would look way better if the punches felt like punches. Instead of asking for blood and other stuff that won't benefit the series at all, think of something that will actually make the show easier for a newcomer to enjoy.

PsionicWarrior

Post by PsionicWarrior » Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:26 am

Mazingerdestro wrote:I don't think that blood would benefit the series at all. The way it is animated makes blood practically useless. Also it's like season 4 people can't get over the blood. There are like 50 billion anime with blood. It's not like db was the only show with blood. You can watch something else.
How does removing blood benefits the series? Because it was there at first lol

Also thanks really helpful to tell a DB fan to go watch something else than DB lol
Saying "bring something back" should equal with "I want this because this will make the show better". Blood right now won't benefit the show.
Of course it's my opinion but I think it would lol

Is Goku a robot or empty in the inside with no organs whatsoever lol
On the contrary I find it really disturbing how all the new sound effects suck the impact of each hit. These battles would look way better if the punches felt like punches.
But that's a completely other matter that has nothing to do with blood lol

Mazingerdestro
Regular

Post by Mazingerdestro » Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:05 am

PsionicWarrior wrote:How does removing blood benefits the series? Because it was there at first lol
Wait you are talking about Z now? I thought this was a threat for super. Why even use z in this example is a completely different series.....Super never had blood....They didn't remove blood from super...on the contrary they keep adding some scenes with blood like when Hit hurting Vegeta and when Trunks was training.
PsionicWarrior wrote: Also thanks really helpful to tell a DB fan to go watch something else than DB lol
There is no point watching something you don't enjoy. If you are a db fan or a z fan go watch db or z. Unless of course you enjoy the series and you just making troll posts.
Also I didn't say stop watching db lol. I said if you want more blood there are numerous other series that have blood.
PsionicWarrior wrote:Of course it's my opinion but I think it would lol
Yeah in a production of a series people don't look at you or me.....but in general the target audience......If you think that blood would be beneficial for super feel free to explain why.
PsionicWarrior wrote:Is Goku a robot or empty in the inside with no organs whatsoever lol
Wow that was the example? Yeah indeed if they added 2 buckets of blood the scene would be much better!!! Actually why not have his organs coming out!!!! Mondo cool
PsionicWarrior wrote:But that's a completely other matter that has nothing to do with blood lol
On the contrary I find it really disturbing how all the new sound effects suck the impact of each hit. These battles would look way better if the punches felt like punches.

Was my way of thought so hard to understand?
1) How is blood beneficial in Super.
2) If you enjoy blood you can watch numerous series with a lot of blood. In super they don't need it.
3) Provide examples.
3) My opinion is that the new sound effects are more disturbing that blood.

I can understand that maybe English is not your mother language but how did you get confused here?

PsionicWarrior

Post by PsionicWarrior » Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:12 am

Mazingerdestro wrote: Wait you are talking about Z now? I thought this was a threat for super. Why even use z in this example is a completely different series.....Super never had blood....They didn't remove blood from super...on the contrary they keep adding some scenes with blood like when Hit hurting Vegeta and when Trunks was training.
I'm talking about the franchise in general, DB/Z and Super are all part of it lol
I thought it was obvious but indeed I could have been more precise lol
There is no point watching something you don't enjoy.
But I enjoy Super lol
Yeah in a production of a series people don't look at you or me.....but in general the target audience......If you think that blood would be beneficial for super feel free to explain why.
Because as I said I think it's weird that there is no blood whatsoever lol
Wow that was the example? Yeah indeed if they added 2 buckets of blood the scene would be much better!!! Actually why not have his organs coming out!!!! Mondo cool
There is more examples but that was the first pic from google, again as I already said I don't want it to be super gore but no blood AT ALL creeps me out, that may be personal lol
Sure well why don't you open you own complaint about it instead of hijacking mine saying "hey man, your complaint is dumb, mine is better" lol

Mazingerdestro
Regular

Post by Mazingerdestro » Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:20 am

PsionicWarrior wrote:Sure well why don't you open you own complaint about it instead of hijacking mine saying "hey man, your complaint is dumb, mine is better" lol
I didn't hijack anything or called your opinion dumb or I used an opinion to insult you....this is a forum not a personal blog and people talk and trade opinions......not every opinion is an insult...it is just a different opinion...if you can't handle communicating with other people then don't post in a forum.If you want to post and people ignore you then open a blog instead of going to every one of their posts (unrelated to yours of course) and writing nonsense while adding a lol hoping to troll them and start a flame war.....

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:56 am

If we were going for realism, then the Ki blast would most likely be cauterising the wounds.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

Anime Kitten
I Live Here

Post by Anime Kitten » Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:04 am

We got blood in a small number of places, this being one chief example:

But this is just sad.

So yes, please add more blood. It doesn't need to be overdone, but enough to be realistic.
MyAnimeList | AniList
Discord: suchmisfortune