Is this the apex of Super? (Future Trunks arc)

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Sin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Is this the apex of Super? (Future Trunks arc)

Post by Sin » Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:20 am

Watching the current arc in Super, I can't help but feel that it's not going to get any better. The story is great (if you can ignore random plot-holes), there are a wide range of characters being used, and the villains are about as evil as you can get them.

The question is where does Super go from here? This arc seems to be well received by a lot more people than previous arcs and with it looking like it might be coming to an end soon what would you like to see next? We sort've know we have another tournament arc coming up, but what enemy could possibly be conjured up that tops an evil God?

PsionicWarrior
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Is this the epitome of Super?

Post by PsionicWarrior » Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:21 am

I hope not, if Super really wants to get a better reputation everything needs to improve in every department from now on, not impossible lol

Sin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Sin » Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:27 am

PsionicWarrior wrote:I hope not, if Super really wants to get a better reputation everything needs to improve in every department from now on, not impossible lol
I can't see such a drastic change happening where Super improves itself to a higher standard of anime so to speak. I think we know what we can expect with Toei and if there was a drastic change in tone it might even be jarring.

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:47 am

Your last question can apply to every villain post-Freeza, that shouldn't be a problem. Super has the potential for so much more. The basis for it's existence is Beerus line in BoG, "you know there's twelve Universes, imagine how much stronger opponents are out there", was barely explored.

I think this won't be the best arc Super will offer us. If it is, Mr.Toriyama and/or Toei only have themselves to blame.

One thing that would greatly help, is to tell us if the end of the manga will happen and in what terms. We need to be informed, I can understand people's frustration to follow a story, which you already know everything is fine x years ahead and which offers very limited development to it's characters.

Dragon Ball has to come out of it's comfort zone.

Sin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Sin » Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:55 am

LightBing wrote:Dragon Ball has to come out of it's comfort zone.
I want this real bad, I'm sure a lot of others do too. A time-skip and/or retcon would be the only real way to do this, but I doubt that would happen, and even if it did it would have to be handled well.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:57 am

This arc is very very good. U6 arc was good too. I don't really expect Super to have a better arc than the current one soon, but I hope we will at least get arcs as good as Black's.
At least we now know that Super is actually a good serie when it doesn't retell movies, it's also obvious that an arc written to air weekly is going to turn out better than a retell of a short story meant to last 90 minutes. The art and animation are both improving too so let's cross our fingers.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Mazingerdestro
Regular

Post by Mazingerdestro » Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:14 am

Sin wrote:
PsionicWarrior wrote:I hope not, if Super really wants to get a better reputation everything needs to improve in every department from now on, not impossible lol
I can't see such a drastic change happening where Super improves itself to a higher standard of anime so to speak. I think we know what we can expect with Toei and if there was a drastic change in tone it might even be jarring.
Considering that they still haven't utilized many new ideas, I can't see how you came to that conclusion.
The only chance they had to introduced something new was Champa's tournament, which appeared to be quite a successful arc.
I am pretty sure that there are countless "Hit-like" characters or "world destroying monsters" that super can introduce.
Considering that heroes is around as well as Xenoverse and online, which implies countless characters and ideas that they can use, I fail to see how Trunks' arc would be the best. I can see it been like in the top 5 at the end of super but by no means first or second.

In general Trunks' arc is way better than most of the big arcs in Z. However, it has issues with the writing and meaningless delays. For example most of the fights in this arc with Black are meaningless. Especially the first one with Black vs Goku. I would prefer them to fight him once with Trunks going SsjSsjgod, fail and then fight him one more time and have Vegeta beating him and Goku beating Zamasu. All the other stuff don't help the arc much. In general the intelligence levels of the characters in Super keep going up and down. Sometimes everyone is extremely smart and other times they just do stupid things for no reason.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:52 am

I would say no Super, while the current arc is amazing can absolutely still improve because initially I thought this arc would be a little bit better than the Universe 6 tournament but in my opinion while the tournament was enjoyable there's no comparing it to Goku Black.

I'm kinda hoping we'll get a more humorous and light-hearted arc next if Super is following a pattern alternating between fun arcs and more serious ones. Maybe not an Omniversal Tournament but I'd like to see something with Planet Sadal happening next.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

PsionicWarrior

Post by PsionicWarrior » Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:06 am

Mazingerdestro wrote: In general Trunks' arc is way better than most of the big arcs in Z.
No lol
For example most of the fights in this arc with Black are meaningless.
No lol
Especially the first one with Black vs Goku.
No lol
I would prefer them to fight him once with Trunks going SsjSsjgod, fail and then fight him one more time and have Vegeta beating him and Goku beating Zamasu.
No lol
All the other stuff don't help the arc much.
Did you just say the lore, the new chars or the atmosphere in example don't help the arc, because that's so wrong lol
In general the intelligence levels of the characters in Super keep going up and down.
I'd say it's going mainly down, sometimes I feel like Whis, Beerus and Zamasu are the only ones using their brains lol
Sometimes everyone is extremely smart and other times they just do stupid things for no reason.
Would you care to provide an example where everyone was "extremely smart" lol

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:09 am

I´ll say no, the series can still improve further in every department.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Post by MajinMan » Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:14 am

Honestly, it probably is. Other than overall improvements on the production side of things, I don't see it getting much better. The only way would be to get the hell out of this 10 year time period and go past the end of Z. That would allow them to write any story they want.
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:38 pm

The only way it can get much better is if Gohan and the others get active again and the other Gods of destruction go beserk.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:41 pm

I'd like to see Vegeta go to U6's Saiyan planet and after that an arc focused on Hit and why he wanted to be able to go from one universe to another.

I think the universal tournament should be Super and Toriyama's very last arc.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

SansrivaaL
I Live Here

Post by SansrivaaL » Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:51 pm

I would be ok with the series ending after this arc, imo this is by far the best DB can get, Zamasu/Black has proved to be the most terrifying antagonist in the series thus far. I cant imagine Toei and Toriyama pulling a better arc than this.

dbs fanboy
Advanced Regular

Post by dbs fanboy » Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:34 pm

Do you know what would be better than this arc?

MULTIVERSAL WAR, it really needs to happen, in fact it would be cool if it happened during the tournament.The only other thing that i could see surpassing this arc, would be like an opposite story, where after the events that are happening currently, a human full of vengeance decides to kill the gods, because he lost his family or something like that (something like Kratos) and the Z fighters have to protect the gods because well, at least Beerus, Gowasu and Kaioshin are their friends.
I really miss ma boy, Black :( :cry:

dbgtFO wrote:

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:42 pm

PsionicWarrior wrote: ...
Is this some kind of neurotic disorder that you have to write every sentence in a mocking tone that ends with "lol"?
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

ChronoTwigger
Advanced Regular

Post by ChronoTwigger » Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:14 pm

Cetra wrote:
Is this some kind of neurotic disorder that you have to write every sentence in a mocking tone that ends with "lol"?
LOL increase by 32% the mocking factor.
I learned english listening to songs. So I don't know anything about. The day you had to learn play piano by just listening .mp3, you'll understand.

PsionicWarrior

Post by PsionicWarrior » Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:21 pm

Cetra wrote:
Kinda, I'm not mocking though lol

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:25 pm

This is not an acceptable way to hold a conversation. This has already been addressed in another thread with similar folks, and strikes are / will be issued.

I would encourage everyone to please review the community guidelines (which you agreed to twice prior to registration). Account strikes add up to temporary/permanent bans, which revoke access to the entirety of the Kanzenshuu website. You've clearly come here because you find some sort of value in us/here/conversing/reading/listening, so it may be best to reevaluate all of that.

In a blunt nutshell, no-one wants to read bullshit. Don't post bullshit. Be a cool person that posts cool things that other people would actually want to read. Don't be Zamasu from episode 63 talking to himself.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

PsionicWarrior

Post by PsionicWarrior » Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:34 pm

VegettoEX wrote:Don't be Zamasu from episode 63 talking to himself.
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Although that's not really accurate mate, I had some really nice conversations in here, and I did take the time to give you a lengthy reply in the other thread but you ignored or haven't seen it, I beg you not to make me censorship myself, in return I promise to put more thoughts and develop more argumentation in my future posts when I encounter strong disagreements lol

If that's really not possible from your side to accept my way of posting, I guess you can directly ban me :(