"Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by HeroR » Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:37 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
HeroR wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote: I think I may have seen that panel on YT not sure but I do remember one where Nozawa was doing a line in Goku's voice and Schemmel was proper geeking out that was pretty hilarious :lol: Might have been the same panel you're talking about.
Yeah, that's the panel. Honestly, anyone who is a fan of Dragon Ball, sub or dub, should watched it.

There is also another panel with several voices from both the sub and dub. It was funny since the voices of Videl both loved the same scene and even voiced it in-character in their respective language. It was also touching since the Japanese actors were talking about how they had this giant family with the voices who play Dragon Ball across the globe. It really highlights how petty the dub vs sub debate is.
I also enjoyed the recent panel at AX with Schemmel, Sabat, Douglas and Horikawa. It's always nice two sides of the same coin when it comes to DB.
Haven’t watched that one. Is there a link.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:46 pm

HeroR wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
HeroR wrote:
Yeah, that's the panel. Honestly, anyone who is a fan of Dragon Ball, sub or dub, should watched it.

There is also another panel with several voices from both the sub and dub. It was funny since the voices of Videl both loved the same scene and even voiced it in-character in their respective language. It was also touching since the Japanese actors were talking about how they had this giant family with the voices who play Dragon Ball across the globe. It really highlights how petty the dub vs sub debate is.
I also enjoyed the recent panel at AX with Schemmel, Sabat, Douglas and Horikawa. It's always nice two sides of the same coin when it comes to DB.
Haven’t watched that one. Is there a link.
Part 1, Part 2 and Part 3

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:05 pm

I'm just gonna bring this up, which I already did a few pages ago, but I don't think anyone noticed.
Sean's point is based on a wrong interpretation due to a lack of facts, then him acting like their interpretation is fact, so other points don't matter. I skimmed that AMA thread where that question came up & read only the important things in it. At no point did I see Sean attempt to really justify the interpretation he stated with any conclusive facts other than, "well, he's Zamasu's soul in Goku's body, so he MUST turn into more of himself when his alternate timeline self joins the battle & he goes Super Saiyan Rose." Then again, I didn't really see anyone try to explain to him why his interpretation was lacking, other than that it was. Oh, it's a wrong interpretation of the character & the interpretation, but at no point did I see anyone explain why to him.
The interpretation's wrong because that's not how SSR works, nor Zamasu's characterization when he's in Goku's body. SSR is a form of SSGSS like SSB is, just adapted to the user's soul being a god's and the body reacting accordingly. Zamasu grows to really love having Goku's body after that, not that he didn't like it before, which is when he really turns on the "holier-than-thou" attitude even more.

I'm not defending Ajay either, since the whole "Mr. Hope of the Universe" was more up to the script writers than Schemmel, or even Sabat, since that was made at a time before they really knew their stuff with both localization of anime for dubbing & acting, as well as direction. They've since gotten a lot of experience in all 3 of those. However, I will quote The Dom here where he says, "don't try to take the author's story & turn it into your own story," meaning, don't always assume you can tell the story of something you're adapting better than the original writer(s). When it comes to anime dubbing, that goes double, especially when there's other sources to watch the anime through & can have a better translation of the story. The days of people being in the dark of the original versions of anime are long since passed, though that doesn't stop Saban & 4K Media from having bad dubs of anime they license.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:10 pm

Scsigs wrote:I'm just gonna bring this up, which I already did a few pages ago, but I don't think anyone noticed.
Sean's point is based on a wrong interpretation due to a lack of facts, then him acting like their interpretation is fact, so other points don't matter. I skimmed that AMA thread where that question came up & read only the important things in it. At no point did I see Sean attempt to really justify the interpretation he stated with any conclusive facts other than, "well, he's Zamasu's soul in Goku's body, so he MUST turn into more of himself when his alternate timeline self joins the battle & he goes Super Saiyan Rose." Then again, I didn't really see anyone try to explain to him why his interpretation was lacking, other than that it was. Oh, it's a wrong interpretation of the character & the interpretation, but at no point did I see anyone explain why to him.
The interpretation's wrong because that's not how SSR works, nor Zamasu's characterization when he's in Goku's body. SSR is a form of SSGSS like SSB is, just adapted to the user's soul being a god's and the body reacting accordingly. Zamasu grows to really love having Goku's body after that, not that he didn't like it before, which is when he really turns on the "holier-than-thou" attitude even more.

I'm not defending Ajay either, since the whole "Mr. Hope of the Universe" was more up to the script writers than Schemmel, or even Sabat, since that was made at a time before they really knew their stuff with both localization of anime for dubbing & acting, as well as direction. They've since gotten a lot of experience in all 3 of those. However, I will quote The Dom here where he says, "don't try to take the author's story & turn it into your own story," meaning, don't always assume you can tell the story of something you're adapting better than the original writer(s). When it comes to anime dubbing, that goes double, especially when there's other sources to watch the anime through & can have a better translation of the story. The days of people being in the dark of the original versions of anime are long since passed, though that doesn't stop Saban & 4K Media from having bad dubs of anime they license.
Except even the original anime isn’t true the original version as Toriyama pointed out with Goku being more heroic in Z and Goku’s Japanese VA having a different interpretation of Goku than Toriyama and had used creative license like given Goku a hick accent.

So not pretend the anime doesn’t used creative license. Especially Super where Toriyama encouraged it by looking at his QAs with Toyo.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

mfwlegend3
Regular

Post by mfwlegend3 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:15 pm

I never really minded the British accent. I thought it was fine when I heard it in XenoVerse. I just wasn’t a fan of the cringey jokes and his base form voice, and I’m glad it was improved in the current episodes of the dub.

What gets me is his explanation for the accent though. Sounds like a bunch of headcanon that was never established in the anime or the manga.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:21 pm

I brought this up in another thread but it seems relevant here too people say having an accent for SSR is dumb or whatever yet plainly accept Black getting pink hair and grey eyes but no! His voice changing that is massive problem! If someone can psychically change their appearance then their voice changing is minor in comparison.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:50 pm

I don't get why Sean Schemmel acts so rude online. His Goku voice has been hated for 15+ years by sub fans, obviously interacting with them is not the best of ideas.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:51 pm

precita wrote:I don't get why Sean Schemmel acts so rude online. His Goku voice has been hated for 15+ years by sub fans, obviously interacting with them is not the best of ideas.
He's a nice guy, but he's had some questionable moments.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:57 pm

HeroR wrote:Except even the original anime isn’t true the original version as Toriyama pointed out with Goku being more heroic in Z and Goku’s Japanese VA having a different interpretation of Goku than Toriyama and had used creative license like given Goku a hick accent.

So not pretend the anime doesn’t used creative license. Especially Super where Toriyama encouraged it by looking at his QAs with Toyo.
Oh, I know the original anime did take some creative liberties. I'd say it's mostly with filler & a lot of the movies, since Kai is what seems like a more true adaptation of the manga than the original Z. It definitely gets better at representing Goku's character as it goes, but I understand that criticism. Goku also having a hick accent, I thought, was something that made sense, since he grew up in the mountains for a long time alone, so, while his way of speaking wouldn't be devolved to just grunts, he wouldn't sound like a normal person either when speaking normally. I mean, I get him also speaking normally if that's how an actor wanted to go with it as well. I mean, there's nothing really contradicting that from being a viable choice to go with as far as I know, other than Toriyama's original vision.
It's the opposite with Goku Black, though, where the available evidence contradicts the choices, & the reasons for the choices, made. Even then, the interpretation of Goku being a dumb manchild isn't even the right interpretation of the character, but it's what the anime staff go with for some reason, so it feels like they're deliberately self-parodying with him on the level of TFS' series. They both contradict previous material, or the material itself to some degree. That's the real problem I have with it. When it's an interpretation that has no actual basis, that's when I have a problem with it.

mfwlegend3
Regular

Post by mfwlegend3 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:02 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:
precita wrote:I don't get why Sean Schemmel acts so rude online. His Goku voice has been hated for 15+ years by sub fans, obviously interacting with them is not the best of ideas.
He's a nice guy, but he's had some questionable moments.
So he's just like any other guy, that's a relief.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:12 pm

Yeah. I really hope Funimation does see how badly received the British Goku Black Super Saiyan Rose is and change it.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:46 pm

Have you read anything others have said?
Getting blasted for so long would make anyone lose their patience easily. You keep talking like he’s some complete asshole which is clearly not the case.

puar
Beyond Newbie

Post by puar » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:02 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:Yeah. I really hope Funimation does see how badly received the British Goku Black Super Saiyan Rose is and change it.
No plz no.i wish they wont listen to people like you.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:52 pm

I thought you hated the british accent on Rose... Also dont be rude. You've been warned already.

I meant to change the DUB voice not the SUB voice jeez.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

NintendoBlaze53
Regular

Post by NintendoBlaze53 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:26 pm

Sean has grown, it took him time but he finally understands Goku and has made some great decisions with the character for Kai, him using "Son Goku" being one of them. What I can't respect is his response to criticism, making creative decisions which go against the source material is sure to get fans rattled, and when some fans offer responses explaining that Sean may be misunderstanding the character he resorts to insults and always brings up how because he voices the characters he must know more then the fans. Long time Kanzenshuu users will remember from his experience on these forums he's always been extremely dismissing of fans who criticize him and lumps us in together. Sean really only sees two types of Dragon Ball fans, ones that love him and everyone else.

As for the view "sub fans shouldn't care about the dub because they're not going to watch it anyway", in reality sub fans want people who watch the dub to have a similar experience, we want people to enjoy characters and moments as much as we did. If the dub makes changes to characters, they risk creating a disconnect.
"You should enjoy the little detours. To the fullest. Because that's where you'll find the things more important than what you want." -Ging Freecss

If you care about opinionated/critical analysis and reviews of anime, manga and gaming products, feel free to check out my website. https://otakustance.wordpress.com/

rs_chaosmaster
Regular

Post by rs_chaosmaster » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:12 pm

I have listened to Nozawa's performance multiple times as Goku Black and i can say that yes rose does change in a way but it isn't a voice change so to say. It is the tone and inflection she uses to make her Rose form sound much more elegant and superior to the Ningen. It really does come out more in her Rose form performance. Since this does not equate in English i don't think giving Sean's voice a proper more elegant sounding accent is a horrible idea. However i hope it is a lot less subtle than Xenoverse 2. The way Sean was saying more of Zamasu shows through goku didn't make sense but, it is clear in Rose form Black sounds way more elegant than base form.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:26 pm

puar wrote:
Cure Dragon 255 wrote:Yeah. I really hope Funimation does see how badly received the British Goku Black Super Saiyan Rose is and change it.
No plz no.i wish they wont listen to people like you.
You know Cure Dragon meant they should change it for the better, right? I really don't get how you couldn't have gleamed that from the context around his post.
NintendoBlaze53 wrote:Sean has grown, it took him time but he finally understands Goku and has made some great decisions with the character for Kai, him using "Son Goku" being one of them. What I can't respect is his response to criticism, making creative decisions which go against the source material is sure to get fans rattled, and when some fans offer responses explaining that Sean may be misunderstanding the character he resorts to insults and always brings up how because he voices the characters he must know more then the fans. Long time Kanzenshuu users will remember from his experience on these forums he's always been extremely dismissing of fans who criticize him and lumps us in together. Sean really only sees two types of Dragon Ball fans; the ones that love him and everyone else.

As for the view "sub fans shouldn't care about the dub because they're not going to watch it anyway", in reality sub fans want people who watch the dub to have a similar experience, we want people to enjoy characters and moments as much as we did. If the dub makes changes to characters, they risk creating a disconnect.
Sean browses this site? Huh. And, yeah, I agree. Sometimes you need a second opinion through feedback from others who've come to an understanding of the material before you. His casual dismissing of fans who do this is especially problematic, since they're only trying to help him reach what Nozawa did to some extent.
rs_chaosmaster wrote:I have listened to Nozawa's performance multiple times as Goku Black and i can say that yes rose does change in a way but it isn't a voice change so to say. It is the tone and inflection she uses to make her Rose form sound much more elegant and superior to the Ningen. It really does come out more in her Rose form performance. Since this does not equate in English i don't think giving Sean's voice a proper more elegant sounding accent is a horrible idea. However i hope it is a lot less subtle than Xenoverse 2. The way Sean was saying more of Zamasu shows through goku didn't make sense but, it is clear in Rose form Black sounds way more elegant than base form.
Well, I mean, the way they see Black at that point is that his energy is influenced, or directly comes from, him being Zamasu. If any other god being switched bodies with Goku, the result would've been the same. Zamasu gets more over-the-top about his elitism, but it doesn't influence his look. His look influences his mood, since he grows to love being Goku even more.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:15 pm

Thanks for defending me, you are nice.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:49 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:Thanks for defending me, you are nice.
I defend when I feel things are too harsh. Considering I've seen this guy's disrespect a lot on here, I kind of feel obligated.

rs_chaosmaster
Regular

Post by rs_chaosmaster » Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:10 am

I hope you were not saying i was being disrespectful because i definitely was not. I was just stating that although their explanation for Black is incorrect the idea of doing something slightly different with rose to make Sean sound more sophisticated and elegant is not a bad idea.