"Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

uncutpokemon
Not-So-Newbie

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by uncutpokemon » Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:19 pm

I was wondering how they would handle Kale yelling "Son Goku" in the dub, and I gotta say that having her calling Goku those harsh names was an interesting choice for them.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:40 pm

Whatever they did here #100 was really enjoyable here!

Looking forward to Roshi ep next!

nato25
Advanced Regular

Post by nato25 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:24 pm

The name thing was a bit wierd and wasn't happy with the Legendary saiyan name drope, especially after the Broly movie as some other poster said. Apart from that, dub is still flying high.

Yalos
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Yalos » Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:35 pm

I'm quite outdated with dub news...

How many episodes are dubbed in English currently? Also, I've heard that toei has problems with dubbing songs to English.. is this true? How many songs are dubbed?

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:54 pm

Yalos wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:35 pm I'm quite outdated with dub news...

How many episodes are dubbed in English currently? Also, I've heard that toei has problems with dubbing songs to English.. is this true? How many songs are dubbed?
100 dubbed episodes are out.

All EDs and the 2nd OP are dubbed. The only issue arises when the Japanese artisit does the English verison themselves then FUNi can't dub it themselves and have to use those hence why they didn't dub OP1 or any Movie songs.

Yalos
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Yalos » Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:00 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:54 pm

All EDs and the 2nd OP are dubbed. The only issue arises when the Japanese artisit does the English verison themselves then FUNi can't dub it themselves and have to use those hence why they didn't dub OP1 or any Movie songs.
Thanks!
The engrish version sounds horrible as a non-native speakers I can't understand a word

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:31 pm

How many episodes are dubbed in English currently? Also, I've heard that Toei has problems with dubbing songs to English.. is this true? How many songs are dubbed?

All EDs and the 2nd OP are dubbed. The only issue arises when the Japanese artist does the English version themselves then FUNi can't dub it themselves and have to use those hence why they didn't dub OP1 or any Movie songs.
Someone on TV Tropes said they used a cover by Mark de Groot after a bit of using the official Engrish version. That's not true, right? Otherwise people here would've noted it.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Simere
Advanced Regular

Post by Simere » Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:39 pm

Scsigs wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:31 pm

How many episodes are dubbed in English currently? Also, I've heard that Toei has problems with dubbing songs to English.. is this true? How many songs are dubbed?

All EDs and the 2nd OP are dubbed. The only issue arises when the Japanese artist does the English version themselves then FUNi can't dub it themselves and have to use those hence why they didn't dub OP1 or any Movie songs.
Someone on TV Tropes said they used a cover by Mark de Groot after a bit of using the official Engrish version. That's not true, right? Otherwise people here would've noted it.
Apparently some pirated uploads replaced it with his version.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:51 pm

Simere wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:39 pm
Scsigs wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:31 pm
Baggie_Saiyan wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:54 pm 100 dubbed episodes are out.

Apparently some pirated uploads replaced it with his version.
Ah. Well, good to clear that up. Time to delete that part of that entry on TV Tropes finally.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:56 pm

At least Funi didn't namedrop Broly like the Brazilian Portuguese dub did...
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:19 am

Danfun64 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:56 pm At least Funi didn't namedrop Broly like the Brazilian Portuguese dub did...
The Portuguese dub is also a self parody gag dub, whereas the English dub is taking itself mostly seriously.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:50 am

Scsigs wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:19 am
Danfun64 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:56 pm At least Funi didn't namedrop Broly like the Brazilian Portuguese dub did...
The Portuguese dub is also a self parody gag dub
Yes, the Portuguese dub from Portugal is a self parody gag dub, though I don't know if it was more or less so when compared to their Z dub.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:51 pm

Danfun64 wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:50 am
Yes, the Portuguese dub from Portugal is a self parody gag dub, though I don't know if it was more or less so when compared to their Z dub.
I don't see the reason for cutting out the rest of what I typed. Seems like you put more effort into that than you needed to. Anyways, are there 2 different Portuguese dubs? I only thought there was the one.

Gafonso6
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Gafonso6 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:55 pm

Scsigs wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:51 pm
I don't see the reason for cutting out the rest of what I typed. Seems like you put more effort into that than you needed to. Anyways, are there 2 different Portuguese dubs? I only thought there was the one.
Yes, there's one for Portugal (the one known to be a self parody) and one for Brazil (the one that mentioned Broly)
I'm just a DB fan that's in the grey area that exists between an Hardcore Fanboy and a Casual :P

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:59 pm

Gafonso6 wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:55 pm
Scsigs wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:51 pm
Yes, there's one for Portugal (the one known to be a self parody) and one for Brazil (the one that mentioned Broly)
Hmm... :think:

CJStriker_CBR
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by CJStriker_CBR » Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:53 am

Episode 101 was Nice as the Rest, only got to see 2/3rds of it being late cause of a party tonight, but what I got to see kepted up with the quality voice acting that I was expecting.

As always Dawn Bennett as Kale and Elizabeth Maxwell as Caulifla stole the show with their great work at showing the bond they have. Dawn never misses the ablity to show how caring and sweet Kale is towards her caring to support Caulifla and Elizabeth does a great job at being the big sister type of voice!

This was a Nice send-off to the U6 Girls since we will not be seeing them again a great deal for a few episodes down the road.

Next Week is the Major Week I Have been Personally Looking Forward to with the Intro of Universe 2 Finally with Veronica Taylor at Lead as Brianne and Ribrianne!!! :D :mrgreen:

She already did an Amazing Job in Episode 91 and now we get a Full episode of her Glory with Morgan Berry as Sanka Ku & Kakunsa and Kristi Rothrock as Sous Roas & Rozie! This is Going to BE EPIC!!! :clap:

March 16, 2019 ~~ To Veronica Taylor, Morgan Berry, Kristi Rothrock and the Rest of the Universe 2 Cast, It is Time ~~~

Let it Bloom. Let it Ring. The Song of Love & Victory For the Funimation Dub of the Kamikaze Fireballs! :mrgreen: :D :clap: :thumbup:

--- ADMIN NOTE: THIS SIGNATURE IS FAR TOO LONG. PLEASE REDUCE IN SIZE. ---
Let it Bloom. Let it Ring. The Song of Love & Victory!”:clap:
Brianne De Chateau/Ribrianne!
My #1 in DB!
:thumbup:

I’m a Veteran Poster of Comic Book Resources since 2012! 8)
http://community.comicbookresources.com ... -CJStriker

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:33 am

Looks like Casserale lost the extra syllable in his name. And Master Roshi found it for his Thunder Surprise Atta-ack.

This dub continues to be solid. It was fun hearing the Androids do their thing again, I'm looking forward to hearing them ham it up in the upcoming Ribrianne episodes.

It's too soon to tell, but Dawn Bennett could be this season's no. 1 MVP. She's certainly impressing me the most so far. Her screams as Berserk Kale sound uncannily like Vicar Amelia's from Bloodborne.

CJStriker_CBR

Post by CJStriker_CBR » Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:58 pm

Just a Few Mins until Funimation's Super Episode 102 on Toonami! :D

Looking forward to Reviewing It! :thumbup: :clap:

My #1 in DB!

CJStriker_CBR

Post by CJStriker_CBR » Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:32 am

All I can Say is THANK YOU FUNIMATION, That Was Beautiful Voice-Work!!! Image :D Image

Veronica Taylor ~~ is a GODDESS, her Voice was Amazing, Mature, Sophisticated and Passionate, she was the Perfect Fit for Brianne and Ribrianne maker her into more of a Goddess then Every Before, Thank You Veronica Taylor! I Just Thank her on Twitter as well! :thumbup:

Morgan Berry ~~ She as Extraordinary as our Sweetheart Sank Ku and Kakunsa! Her Fury as Kankusa was Electrifying and she Brought SO MUCH Passion to Kakunsa!

I made me ever More Sad that she had to be Eliminated so Early, THAT is such a Crime for Such a Sweetheart and Amazing Lady, She should have been in the ToP Much longer, Such a Crime! :cry: :(

I Just Thanked Morgan on Twitter as well!

Kristi Rothrock ~~ The Energetic and Spunky Rozie was Done Also Justice as well Tonight, her Sweet Persona and Yacchaina Fist was Perfectly Voiced!

I Just Thank Kristi on Twitter!

Lauren Landa did Vikal's voice and she did an Very Impressive Job and Lovely Job as well and like Kakunsa it was always a crime she was sent out to early as well, but her time was well spent!

Funmation Has Hit it out of the Park for Me now, they are Officially the MCU Studios of the Voice Acting World, Thank You Funimation! :D :thumbup: :clap:
My #1 in DB!

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:28 am

If Super is coming back in July as rumoured, I wonder if Toei will let Funimation continue on their current schedule and time slot, and go straight into episode 132 the week after 131 airs?.
In a way, this could be the best possible outcome Funimation could have hoped for.

It would put the dub a little over one cour behind, with the tournament of power due to reach its climax on the 19th October, so exactly 16 weeks (assuming Fuji TV doesn't take any breaks) behind July 7th - if that is when it returns in Japan.

Toei would not let them Simuldub, they just arent likely to go for that, however, 4 months behind, that could be enough of a gap for them.