"Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:19 pm

"Hold your fire! This man isn’t Black!”

:lol:

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:38 pm

The Patrolman wrote:
Scsigs wrote:
The Patrolman wrote:Thats it

Thats the Rose voice

Thats what made twitter throw a hissy fit

Thats what made those cringe worthy artistic license memes

IT'S FUCKING HARMLESS
You...you really don't get the nuance, characterization, logic, or anything else for this character, do you?
Dude What are you talking about? I get it the whole thing. I'm just saying ever since it was announced that Black was going to have the accent. People I've seen were going nuts about it. Hearing it now I'm flabbergasted about how much backlash this was getting
The reasons people were freaking out are as follows...

1. The nuance. Goku Black has a bit of nuance to his characterization, since he's Zamasu influenced by Goku's body.

2. The logic. Sean Schemmel's logic of "artistic license" is just laughable at best, hence the memes. His logic that he voiced Goku Black with a British accent is both unnecessary ass a decision on his part & doesn't make any sense, since James Marsters isn't voicing Zamasu with a British accent, just an uppercrust American accent. Maybe he adopts it later on, maybe he switches to wit with Fused Zamasu, all we know NOW is that it's not there. Logically, it should be just an uppercrust American accent. The British accent is also wholly unnecessary, if we're being honest here.

The accent Sean uses as Goku Black Rose isn't terribly British, but the inflections are still there to an extent. If you don't get it, then I don't know how else to explain it.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:41 pm

Scsigs wrote:
The Patrolman wrote:
Scsigs wrote: You...you really don't get the nuance, characterization, logic, or anything else for this character, do you?
Dude What are you talking about? I get it the whole thing. I'm just saying ever since it was announced that Black was going to have the accent. People I've seen were going nuts about it. Hearing it now I'm flabbergasted about how much backlash this was getting

1. The nuance. Goku Black has a bit of nuance to his characterization, since he's Zamasu influenced by Goku's body.

2. The logic. Sean Schemmel's logic of "artistic license" is just laughable at best, hence the memes. His logic that he voiced Goku Black with a British accent is both unnecessary ass a decision on his part & doesn't make any sense, since James Marsters isn't voicing Zamasu with a British accent, just an uppercrust American accent. Maybe he adopts it later on, maybe he switches to wit with Fused Zamasu, all we know NOW is that it's not there. Logically, it should be just an uppercrust American accent. The British accent is also wholly unnecessary, if we're being honest here.

The accent Sean uses as Goku Black Rose isn't terribly British, but the inflections are still there to an extent. If you don't get it, then I don't know how else to explain it.
Zamasu does have a slight Brit accent. It's just subtile. Not isn't an 'uppercrust American accent'.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:41 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:"Hold your fire! This man isn’t Black!”

For me it was Vegeta's "I'm the star of this damn show!" before getting stab. That entire scene was already meta, and Sabat took it to a whole new level. I was literally crying.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

MagmonKai
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MagmonKai » Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:53 pm

I thought Sean Schemmel did an excellent job tonight. I enjoyed his Goku Black's rendition. I still don't like Zamas he's way to flat in the english dub.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:56 pm

MagmonKai wrote:I thought Sean Schemmel did an excellent job tonight. I enjoyed his Goku Black's rendition. I still don't like Zamasu he's way to flat in the english dub.
You have a very different definition of "flat" than some of the rest of us, sir.
HeroR wrote:[spoiler]
Scsigs wrote:
The Patrolman wrote: Dude What are you talking about? I get it the whole thing. I'm just saying ever since it was announced that Black was going to have the accent. People I've seen were going nuts about it. Hearing it now I'm flabbergasted about how much backlash this was getting

[/spoiler]

Zamasu does have a slight Brit accent. It's just subtile. Not isn't an 'uppercrust American accent'.
It's not British either.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

uncutpokemon
Not-So-Newbie

Post by uncutpokemon » Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:27 am

Am I the only one to notice Goku mentioning the fight that happened in that filler arc? I guess the dub decided to make it canon since everyone loved the choice they made for copy Vegeta.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:29 am

uncutpokemon wrote:Am I the only one to notice Goku mentioning the fight that happened in that filler arc? I guess the dub decided to make it canon since everyone loved the choice they made for copy Vegeta.
That was also the case in the original.

uncutpokemon
Not-So-Newbie

Post by uncutpokemon » Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:11 am

dbgtFO wrote:
uncutpokemon wrote:Am I the only one to notice Goku mentioning the fight that happened in that filler arc? I guess the dub decided to make it canon since everyone loved the choice they made for copy Vegeta.
That was also the case in the original.
It was? I don't remember them saying it in the sub, but I'll take your word for it. Now if you'll excuse me I need to go make the hold your fire this man isn't black line into a meme.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:15 am

uncutpokemon wrote: It was? I don't remember them saying it in the sub, but I'll take your word for it. Now if you'll excuse me I need to go make the hold your fire this man isn't black line into a meme.
here

Nevaeh
Beyond Newbie

Post by Nevaeh » Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:24 am

Lord Beerus wrote:"Hold your fire! This man isn’t Black!”

I can't wait for the "make me black" line :lol:

uncutpokemon
Not-So-Newbie

Post by uncutpokemon » Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:46 am

dbgtFO wrote:
uncutpokemon wrote: It was? I don't remember them saying it in the sub, but I'll take your word for it. Now if you'll excuse me I need to go make the hold your fire this man isn't black line into a meme.
here
Fair enough, not complaining either way. Not that it matters what he said, he isn't black after all :D

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:10 am

So glad the SSRosé voice didn't turn out how I thought it was going to be. I'm really happy with the dub for this arc so far.

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:51 am

Starscreacher wrote:"Hold your fire this man isnt black" :lol:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhCDMoQjwgs

It's utterly narmy and dub, and I love it. :lol: :P
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

EnergizerConvoy
Not-So-Newbie

Post by EnergizerConvoy » Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:36 am

Starscreacher wrote:"Hold your fire this man isnt black" :lol:
Well you do have the Goku Rose/Black Lady avatar.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:18 am

Everything that happens in DBS is "canon" there is no "filler" much less the fact we already had a flashback to the Copy Vegeta arc already in this arc to Bulma creating the blue energy.

Firebolt
Beyond Newbie

Post by Firebolt » Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:19 am

So the SS Rose accent is.....okay. In fact I think it's way better than the raspy emo base form voice. The actual delivery of the lines leaves a lot to be desired though.

I still don't quite understand why everyone's giving Masters' Zamasu voice tons of praise. His voice doesn't fit the character IMO.

mint0h
Not-So-Newbie

Post by mint0h » Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:45 am

I wasn't sure if this was mentioned in the Crunchyroll subs, but Yajirobe mentions that the Androids destroyed Korin's Tower, something that I didn't pick up in the subs.

OLKv3
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by OLKv3 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:22 pm

mint0h wrote:I wasn't sure if this was mentioned in the Crunchyroll subs, but Yajirobe mentions that the Androids destroyed Korin's Tower, something that I didn't pick up in the subs.
It was in the subs.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:29 pm

Commander Trunks? Was that in the sub?
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017