How does rank Zamasu amongst the main villains?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Bullza
Banned

How does rank Zamasu amongst the main villains?

Post by Bullza » Sun Nov 20, 2016 3:39 pm

As his story is over now and he's effectively been dealt with when compared to the other main villains from the series and we'll include the main villains in GT as well where do you rank him?

Consider Zamasu and Black to be one character aswell as they are both Zamasu. Taking into account things like character design, voice acting, motives, personality, abilities and any specific scenes too.

I'd order them like this myself.

1. Frieza
2. Zamasu
3. Cell
4. Buu
5. King Piccolo
6. Baby
7. Syn Shenron

There were a lot of people saying he was the best villain, I don't know if recent episodes have changed anyone's mind. I definitely think he's one of the best villains but Frieza is still the best to me and Zamasu is about on par with Cell.

I wasn't particularly a fan of him coming back after death as he did in the last episode. It was a more memorable death with what Trunks did to him in my opinion.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Re: How does rank Zamasu amongst the main villains?

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Nov 20, 2016 5:14 pm

He's the best. He edges out Freeza for me. His slip into darkness as well as his pragmatic and show stealing performance as Goku Black, before coming full circle and becoming this deluded and narcissistic monster with an insane God-complex was simply wonderful to watch. And seeing his enternal soul literally consure the Earth and then spread throuought the multiverse and even through different timeline was just freightning. Even in death, he cast an almighty shadow, in a literal sense.

Here's how I would rank the major villains:

1. Zamasu
2. Freeza
3. King Piccolo
4. Majin/Super/Kid Boo
5. Cell

I personally never understood the hype for Cell. He was more entertaining in his pursuit for the androids and became a generic doomsday villain after he achieved his perfect form.

DragonHermit
Regular

Post by DragonHermit » Sun Nov 20, 2016 5:27 pm

Zamasu I don't rank at all. He's just a whiny little bitch.

Black on the other hand, which ironically is 90% alike Zamasu, is #1 for me. His presence and mannerisms perfectly complement who he is as a character. I think Gokufying Zamasu really alters his characters.

1. Black
2. Vegeta
3. Frieza
4. Cell
5. Piccolo
6. Buu

Boo Machine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Boo Machine » Sun Nov 20, 2016 5:38 pm

Well If I had to count Black and Zamasu as the same character then I guess I would have to put them at the top. Black was just really cool and fun to watch and Zamasu himself was pretty entertaining in his own way and it was interesting to actually watch him go from "I kind of hate mortals" to " I WANT MURDER!". Doubly fun when it was Goku that pushed him over the edge when in previous arcs they like to drive in the "Anyone who Goku meets becomes friends" thing.

My list would be.

1. Black/Zamasu
2. Majin Buu (More specifically the fat and Kid version as they were more entertaining than the other versions)
3. Freeza
4. Vegeta (When he was a bady of course
5. Baby
6.Tao
7. Piccolo Dimao
8. Janemba
9. Various others I'm too lazy to list

If I count Zamasu and Black as their own character then Black would still be number 1 and Zamasu would be number 4 under Freeza
Last edited by Boo Machine on Sun Nov 20, 2016 5:46 pm, edited 4 times in total.
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sun Nov 20, 2016 5:40 pm

I think he's the best. He doesn't have the same kind of connection to the characters or on-screen presence like Freeza for instance, but he's easily the smartest and most complex of the DB villains, also the only one who came even remotely close to achieving his goal (you could even say he did, for 3 minutes). Arguably the most threatening as well. Definitely the most entertaining for me.

1 - Black/Zamasu
2 - Freeza (let's ignore F)
3 - Vegeta (both his Saiyan arc and Boo arc roles)
4 - Paragus
5 - Majin Boo
6 - Cell
7 - Babidi
8 - Baby
9 - Raichi
10 - Others, they aren't worth mentioning

Kinda fuzzy towards the middle and end, I'm only sure on the top 3.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sun Nov 20, 2016 5:44 pm

Which Zamasu?

Future, and by extension, Merged Zamasu is a terrible villain and character. Present Zamasu/Black is a great one.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:07 pm

Doctor. wrote:I think he's the best. He doesn't have the same kind of connection to the characters or on-screen presence like Freeza for instance, but he's easily the smartest and most complex of the DB villains, also the only one who came even remotely close to achieving his goal (you could even say he did, for 3 minutes). Arguably the most threatening as well. Definitely the most entertaining for me.

1 - Black/Zamasu
2 - Freeza (let's ignore F)
3 - Vegeta (both his Saiyan arc and Boo arc roles)
4 - Paragus
5 - Majin Boo
6 - Cell
7 - Babidi
8 - Baby
9 - Raichi
10 - Others, they aren't worth mentioning

Kinda fuzzy towards the middle and end, I'm only sure on the top 3.
Paragus? Really? Above Majin Boo? Above Cell? He was a one time movie villain. I mean, I respect you opinion and all, but I would love to hear explanation on why you rank Paragus so highly.

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:12 pm

(Broly)
1. Baby
2. Black, Zamasu & Neo Zamasu
3. Cell
(Cooler)
4. Piccolo Daimaou
5. Freeza
6. Boo
7. Yi Xing Long
8. Super 17
Last edited by Cetra on Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:14 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:Paragus? Really? Above Majin Boo? Above Cell? He was a one time movie villain. I mean, I respect you opinion and all, but I would love to hear explanation on why you rank Paragus so highly.
A combination of Paragus being underrated and all the other villains being either mediocre or bad. He has an actually relatable motivation and backstory, he's the closest (besides Zamasu, I guess) we'll ever get to a "good person turned bad" (I'm aware he was still a Saiyan, so basically a genocidal cunt, hence "closest"), he isn't even that bad of a father for Saiyan standards and he completely broke down Vegeta with his schemes in a way only Freeza had ever surpassed; no, it wasn't due to Broly, Broly was merely a pawn in Paragus' plan.

phattangent
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by phattangent » Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:14 pm

1. Staff Officer Black
2. Frieza
3. Zamasu
4. King Piccolo
5. Cell
6. Buu
ドラゴンボール超と言うアニメを見ています。あの、日本語が分かりますか?話しましょう!
ザマスに就いて、全王は合体ザマスより大なりです!

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:34 pm

Black was definitely a better villain than Zamasu even though he was still Zamasu there was just something much more sinister to him but I think he had more impact towards the beginning of the arc. They both had really good character designs too.

I still think Cell had the best character design though.

I know he's not a main villain or really that much of a villain at all but if you were to include Beerus I think he's a better character than the others. Not a better villain but just a better character in general.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Nov 20, 2016 7:00 pm

phattangent wrote:1. Staff Officer Black
2. Frieza
3. Zamasu
4. King Piccolo
5. Cell
6. Buu
Okay, now I am really interested in why you rank this guy so highly.

DragonHermit
Regular

Post by DragonHermit » Sun Nov 20, 2016 7:02 pm

I love how almost everyone likes Black over Zamasu, yet it's hard to point to why, because the differences are subtle. This shows Toei did a great job in characterisation.

Black was essentially birthed out of Zamasu's envy of Goku. Future Zamasu didn't encounter Goku. While still retaining that hatred for humans, Black (Present Zamasu) had a bit of respect for humans that Zamasu didn't. He appreciated the gains in power guys like Goku/Vegeta made a lot more than Future Zamasu, and recognised some of the motivations (rage) to be useful (unlike Future Zamasu who thought it was what made humans trash). Black reminds me of Blackbeard in One Piece. While still a scumbag, he has some respect towards the people's lives he ruins, if they've achieved remarkable things.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Nov 20, 2016 7:05 pm

Doctor. wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:Paragus? Really? Above Majin Boo? Above Cell? He was a one time movie villain. I mean, I respect you opinion and all, but I would love to hear explanation on why you rank Paragus so highly.
A combination of Paragus being underrated and all the other villains being either mediocre or bad. He has an actually relatable motivation and backstory, he's the closest (besides Zamasu, I guess) we'll ever get to a "good person turned bad" (I'm aware he was still a Saiyan, so basically a genocidal cunt, hence "closest"), he isn't even that bad of a father for Saiyan standards and he completely broke down Vegeta with his schemes in a way only Freeza had ever surpassed; no, it wasn't due to Broly, Broly was merely a pawn in Paragus' plan.
You bring a lot of good and fair points. I think they shouldn't have killed of Paragus as prematurely as they did and should have save him to be a villain for another day.

PsionicWarrior
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PsionicWarrior » Sun Nov 20, 2016 7:06 pm

I've always had trouble ranking chars, but I guess this would make sense to me lol

1. Majin Buu
2. Zamasu
3. Cell
4. Freeza
5. Piccolo Daimao

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Post by Lord Frieza » Sun Nov 20, 2016 7:36 pm

Ok not counting the treacherous turn coats who became "good" guys. These also going to be a lot of tied places.

1) Zamasu + Goku Black = Supreme God Zamasu
2) Frieza
3) Baby
4) King Piccolo/Lord Slug
5) Majin Buu
6) *cough*Diet Frieza*cough* I mean Cooler sorry
7) Cell/Tao Pai Pai (be fair this guys more of a big bad then the actual leaders of the RR army)
8] Yī Xīng Lóng
9) Dr Wheelo
10) Garlic Jr.
11) Turles/Lucifer
12) Mira/Towa
13) Android 13 (Funi dub)
14) Bojack
15) Hatchiyack
16) Demigra
17) Janemba
18) Hirudegarn
19) Bio-Broly
21) Broly
22) King Gourmeth/*cough*Frieza Light*cough* sorry Chilled
23) Super 17

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:16 pm

0. Fat Janemba <3333
1. Vegeta (Saiyan-Namek saga)
2. Cell
3. Present Zamasu/Black
4. Buu
5. Broly
6 (tie). Frieza (Minus and F completely ruined him; pre-modern DB, I'd have him at #1)
6 (tie). King Piccolo
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Freezerbaby
Beyond Newbie

Post by Freezerbaby » Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:19 pm

Mi ranking woud be like this :

-Freeza ( I have mixed feelings about taking rof into account, I liked his role till he defeats gohan quite a lot, but then he gets humiliated by goku and vegeta so I wouldn´t know what to say)
-Vegeta
-Baby
-Piccolo Daimaoh
-Cell
-Omega shenron
-Super boo (Gohan absorbed)
-Black( yes Black, not Zamasu, his talking about gods,mortals,justice sins and so on became so pathetic and repetitive for me that I don´t even consider him as a villain)
-Super 17

Marlowe89
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Marlowe89 » Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:54 pm

Top 5:

1. Black/Zamasu
2. Frieza
3. King Piccolo
4. Majin Vegeta
5. Cell

And that's pretty much it. Despite loving the Buu arc, I could barely stand Buu himself. Resurrection F (the film) was completely fine and didn't ruin Frieza's character at all for me. As a villain, Vegeta was at his most complex and interesting when he was under Babidi's spell; I realize that he wasn't necessarily a "main" villain at that point but I thought to include him anyway since it involves his past history of being one.

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:11 pm

1. Boo
2 Zamasu
3 Freeza
4 Cell
5 Piccolo/ Vegeta
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.