Dragon Ball Super VS Dragon Ball GT: which is better?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dragonball Black
Not-So-Newbie

Dragon Ball Super VS Dragon Ball GT: which is better?

Post by Dragonball Black » Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:43 am

I know this seems like an easy answer, especially with how poorly everything was executed in GT. But lets think long and hard about this. Think about the worst animation we have seen in any dragonball series at the start of super, think about character designs and story elements. Pound for pound witch of these is better. Character designs, vs character designs, transformations vs transformations, villains vs villains, story lines vs story lines. And of course there is the glaring problem that super had retelling battle of gods and ressurection of f. So think to yourself, tallying each of these categories, which of these anime's has done it better. Super is at a disadvantage with not being finished, but GT's tarnished legacy should even this out. This should explain these positions well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjwXHCqMGrs&t=2s
We are the Villains of Dragonball, and we focus on news, leaks, reviews and most importantly discussion videos.
Lets look into the Darker Side of Dragonball, Dragonball Z, Dragonball GT and Dragonball Super.
Subscribe and Share this Channel and Become a Villain yourself!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdYBVZ ... JmNcGdQJuQ
Dont Forget to Follow me on Twitter at https://twitter.com/AnimeFeuds
And Like my Dragonball Xenoverse 3 Page
https://www.facebook.com/Dragonball-Xen ... 441039984/

Akyon
Regular

Re: Dragon Ball Super VS Dragon Ball GT: which is better?

Post by Akyon » Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:09 am

Since I feel the two series are only subjectively viewed as 'good' by many DB/Z fans, I'm going to list my subjective preference; personally I prefer Super.

Jaco, Beerus and Zamasu are better than any new characters GT ever gave us for me personally. Baby Pan is amusing, GT Pan is...less so.

As much as people suggest that Super is the Goku and Vegeta show, Piccolo, Krillin and Tenshinhan have gotten to do a lot more than they ever did in GT...not that this is saying much; Tenshinhan was a still shot and Krillin and Piccolo really only died again apart from their goodbyes to Goku at the end.

Now GT isn't AWFUL by any means; the Dragons were a great idea IMO, but as someone who really enjoys watching the cast interact with one another in the down time and as a fan of the original Z fighter squad, I'm getting a little more for my buck with Super.
Favourite User quote:
Vice wrote:"Look at all these characters getting some shine in the buildup for the tournament of power, maybe we'll get to see some other characters do some stuff instead of the same old shit."
1. Goku (Universe 7) has eliminated 6 competitor & Vegeta (Universe 7) has eliminated 6 competitors

"Fuck."

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:18 pm

I don't think it's appropriate yet to compare the two, for a couple specific reasons:

(1) Dragon Ball Super began with retreads
The first two arcs of Dragon Ball Super don't fully belong to it; their broad strokes and underlying story were already developed and told in full before the series ever began (in the form of Battle of Gods and Resurrection 'F'). They are of course now a PART OF the Super TV series, but a full "season" worth of material wasn't its to begin with, which leads into...

(2) Dragon Ball Super is still on-going
Whereas Dragon Ball GT can be dissected and reviewed as a complete whole, we can't do that yet with Dragon Ball Super. It wouldn't be fair to analyze plot points and unknown future developments against something that is fully known and realized inside and out. Who knows what will happen? For example, why criticize the Namekian Book of Legends NOW if something ends up happening with it? Once the series is over, if they don't revisit that, cool; that will then be the appropriate time to call them out on it. I worry that too many doors are open for the series to arbitrarily choose right now to close them all off and start reviewing it as a cohesive whole, when it's anything but.

Too much these days we're put in a position where we feel like we need to pick everything apart immediately, such as individual episode reviews. Dragon Ball has never been about the minutia; it's about the long tail, the journey, the experience. This is why I prefer to review arcs rather than episodes, and why I don't think it's responsible yet to compare GT with Super. There are certainly PARTS that you can compare, because those aren't going to change (the character designs and composer's musical score, for example), but the products as a whole? Not yet! We'll have plenty of time in the future to reflect and do all that; I don't see the need to rush there.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

omaro34
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omaro34 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:24 pm

VegettoEX wrote:I don't think it's appropriate yet to compare the two, for a couple specific reasons:

(1) Dragon Ball Super began with retreads
The first two arcs of Dragon Ball Super don't fully belong to it; their broad strokes and underlying story were already developed and told in full before the series ever began (in the form of Battle of Gods and Resurrection 'F'). They are of course now a PART OF the Super TV series, but a full "season" worth of material wasn't its to begin with, which leads into...

(2) Dragon Ball Super is still on-going
Whereas Dragon Ball GT can be dissected and reviewed as a complete whole, we can't do that yet with Dragon Ball Super. It wouldn't be fair to analyze plot points and unknown future developments against something that is fully known and realized inside and out. Who knows what will happen? For example, why criticize the Namekian Book of Legends NOW if something ends up happening with it? Once the series is over, if they don't revisit that, cool; that will then be the appropriate time to call them out on it. I worry that too many doors are open for the series to arbitrarily choose right now to close them all off and start reviewing it as a cohesive whole, when it's anything but.

Too much these days we're put in a position where we feel like we need to pick everything apart immediately, such as individual episode reviews. Dragon Ball has never been about the minutia; it's about the long tail, the journey, the experience. This is why I prefer to review arcs rather than episodes, and why I don't think it's responsible yet to compare GT with Super. There are certainly PARTS that you can compare, because those aren't going to change (the character designs and composer's musical score, for example), but the products as a whole? Not yet! We'll have plenty of time in the future to reflect and do all that; I don't see the need to rush there.

Well good sir, I'm certainly looking forward to your podcast where you discuss your thoughts on the Future Trunks Arc that just recently finished.
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

successoroffate
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by successoroffate » Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:13 pm

Like Vegetto said, I think it's Apples and Oranges.
I like both of them, GT has a special place in my heart so there's maybe some Bias. The Future Trunks arc did an amazing job in story telling if you ask me.
Big Green: Do whateveryoulike, Ghos
Broly: haha He calls me a goohst, but IMMMD DA DEVVVVAAALLL! RAHAHAHAHA!
-----
Trunks: "Dhe computer selffishy intesnafiy dosuementos."
Android 13: Yum Boy
-----
Vegeta: The Legendary Warrior of SpaZe.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:19 pm

Super is better. But they still have the same problem of not focusing on the extended cast outside of Goku.

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:46 pm

Dragonball Black wrote:I know this seems like an easy answer, especially with how poorly everything was executed in GT. But lets think long and hard about this. Think about the worst animation we have seen in any dragonball series at the start of super, think about character designs and story elements. Pound for pound witch of these is better. Character designs, vs character designs, transformations vs transformations, villains vs villains, story lines vs story lines. And of course there is the glaring problem that super had retelling battle of gods and ressurection of f. So think to yourself, tallying each of these categories, which of these anime's has done it better. Super is at a disadvantage with not being finished, but GT's tarnished legacy should even this out. This should explain these positions well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjwXHCqMGrs&t=2s
Is your name Dragonball Baby ? End of thread. :P
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

Smilodon
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Smilodon » Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:48 pm

I can see DBGT better in these items:

- Better animation in fights (In Super we had horrible fights);
- Better idea of evil from dragon balls;
- MUCH better sound tracks;
- Better evolution to SSJ4 instead of SSJ Blue (they just become SSJB and that's all. Even in Z when Goku showed up the SSJ3 transformation, we had a good explanation and almost 10 minutes of transformation, and AMAZING style)....In Super we had SSJ with colored hair (Red, Blue...And the next is possibly White, but in GT we had a very different and unexpected transformation)

And I see Super better in these items:

- More episodes :D
- Better god's hierarchy. Gods of destructions, Angels, God of everything (But I don't like this friendship with Zen'o, Whis, Beerus...). Now it's opened to much many possibilities;
- Great characters like Vados (my favorite), Whis, Hitto, Beerus, Black, Zamasu...I didn't like anyone new in GT;
- Super Dragon Balls...We saw somebody else (Zamasu) collecting them to have his wishes;
- Another tournaments (one of the best things in dragon ball in my opinion). I'm really excited to see the next one with 12 universes.
Vados Sama!

Lujin_16
Regular

Post by Lujin_16 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:07 pm

Smilodon wrote:I can see DBGT better in these items:

- Better animation in fights (In Super we had horrible fights);
- Better idea of evil from dragon balls;
- MUCH better sound tracks;
- Better evolution to SSJ4 instead of SSJ Blue (they just become SSJB and that's all. Even in Z when Goku showed up the SSJ3 transformation, we had a good explanation and almost 10 minutes of transformation, and AMAZING style)....In Super we had SSJ with colored hair (Red, Blue...And the next is possibly White, but in GT we had a very different and unexpected transformation)

And I see Super better in these items:

- More episodes :D
- Better god's hierarchy. Gods of destructions, Angels, God of everything (But I don't like this friendship with Zen'o, Whis, Beerus...). Now it's opened to much many possibilities;
- Great characters like Vados (my favorite), Whis, Hitto, Beerus, Black, Zamasu...I didn't like anyone new in GT;
- Super Dragon Balls...We saw somebody else (Zamasu) collecting them to have his wishes;
- Another tournaments (one of the best things in dragon ball in my opinion). I'm really excited to see the next one with 12 universes.
Gt soundtrack better than the trunks arc soundtrack??

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:17 pm

Lujin_16 wrote: Gt soundtrack better than the trunks arc soundtrack??
What's with the question marks? Is it really so hard to believe that someone prefers the former over the latter? Heck, I prefer the GT soundtrack over the Trunks arc's soundtrack any day. Most of the pieces in the Trunks arc were unmemorable in my eyes and none really stuck out as beautiful to me.

To answer the topic question, yes, I've been preferring GT over Super so far in every aspect.

Lujin_16
Regular

Post by Lujin_16 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:34 pm

Bansho64 wrote:
Lujin_16 wrote: Gt soundtrack better than the trunks arc soundtrack??
What's with the question marks? Is it really so hard to believe that someone prefers the former over the latter? Heck, I prefer the GT soundtrack over the Trunks arc's soundtrack any day. Most of the pieces in the Trunks arc were unmemorable in my eyes and none really stuck out as beautiful to me.

To answer the topic question, yes, I've been preferring GT over Super so far in every aspect.

unmemorable??? are you sure about that??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQgVLjBa-rs&t=7s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkEQCLFWhyE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajiG_cQERPg

ailema88
Not-So-Newbie

Post by ailema88 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:12 pm

For me kid Goku and annoying Pan ruined GT.. maybe it has better animation than Super but the villians didn't impress me as Black and Zamasu did it now. We can compare some aspects between the 2 series but not as a whole cause Super hasn't finished yet..

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:14 pm

Does Super have the Black Star Dragon Ball Saga? That will answer your question.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:16 pm

Pretty much. I've probably watched scenes with those in them, and I never find myself humming or remembering them at all after watching. That's not to state how good I think some of those tracks are, but of my memory of them. Well, I guess Goku Black's introduction track might be the exception but even that is a little iffy in my memory of it. I will admit that those are pretty good tracks, especially when compared to what we've gotten previously in Super.

Heck, I remember more and think more fondly of the Buu arc Kai tracks moreso than nearly all of the tracks that have been newly introduced in Super. I was glad when I heard them included in the last couple of episodes in the Trunks arc.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:39 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote:Does Super have the Black Star Dragon Ball Saga? That will answer your question.
Is the proper way to judge by lows, highs, or overall experience independent from any particular half-hour episode or arc?

Re: Soundtracks: I think I've always had more love for Sumitomo than most; some of his better Kai tracks were used with excellent placement near the end of the previous arc. But he isn't in the running with the atmosphere Tokunaga's created, and the placement for Sumitomo's tracks is often, unfortunately, subpar.
Last edited by Cipher on Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:03 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Black_Liger
Advanced Regular

Post by Black_Liger » Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:45 pm

I like SSJ4, And GT had it's share of good stuff, like Ledgic, 4 Star Dragon, and of course the music is real good.

But I'd pick Super any day, especially when it comes to FT Arc, it's better than anything on GT, regarding the music, I think both are equal in terms of good music. But I don't see Goku Black's theme on GT... soo... hehehe.
There's room for only one snake, and one big boss.

Hit!!
Regular

Post by Hit!! » Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:46 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote:Does Super have the Black Star Dragon Ball Saga? That will answer your question.
Then that makes Super better because that arc was shit..

GT may be better than Super in many aspects, but to me GT is boring as hell.. Like extremely boring. Super is much more entertaining than GT, and the lore expansion of Super is much much better than GT. I'd say Super is better by a landslide, in my opinion.

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:05 pm

On a more serious note, DB super is much better than Gt. I find Gt boring in many aspects. Ssj4 and Gohan are the only thing Gt did that was better. Yes, it had more consistent animation but the choreography was pretty bad compared to supers a lot of the time. I hate the abuse of ki blasts (which super does sometimes too).
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

Black_Liger
Advanced Regular

Post by Black_Liger » Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:37 pm

kinisking wrote:the choreography was pretty bad compared to supers a lot of the time. I hate the abuse of ki blasts (which super does sometimes too).
^^^^^^ This, people often give shit to Supers choreography, but GT's was pretty bland most of the time, just plain boring, ever since U6 Tournament arc Super had a jump in quality for choreography, and in FT Arc it pretty much blows anything about GT out of the water.
There's room for only one snake, and one big boss.

Boo Machine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Boo Machine » Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:44 pm

I give it to Super mostly because Super is just more fun.

GT has it's great moments, but I'm never really bored with Super. But with GT there are too many parts where I'm just struggling not to doze off.
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.