"Dragon Ball Super" Bang Zoom Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

LexVO

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Bang Zoom Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by LexVO » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:56 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Lex Lang's Goku is bland, boring, forgettable and lacks any sort charisma and sounds awkward and forced sometimes(this part is probably down the script). In other words awful. I don't know why I have to beat around the bush cuz he's a "member" here (don't even know if he's legit). Infact I would be doing a disservice to him (if he is legit) if I was sucking up and saying his Goku was good.
My final statement here... No one is asking anyone to beat around the bush. If you don't like the performance or what I am doing with the character, that's fine. I am not offended. I have been a voice actor for 21 plus years and played 500 plus characters in anime and other roles. Probably a whole bunch of parts you've heard throughout your childhood. (Sanosuke, Dr. Doom, Neo Cortex, Captain Harlock, Goemon, Batman, Wargreymon, Stormtroopers, and many many more) If I was offended every time I received any rejection or criticism, I would be too busy feeling bad to continue with new parts. There are ALWAYS people who like or dislike ANY part/actor. We all have differing opinions on actors in general. That's totally fine. In fact that's what freedom is about. My original post was simply saying that there is a more constructive way to share your opinions or dissatisfaction about the part. And that it may have been a bit premature with only viewing a promo and one or two episodes. The director is new to this project and getting her bearings, so we got a very slow start to dialing in these characters to what they will end up being. We are working on episode 10 now and we have come a long way since ep. 1 and 2 (where we were still unsure of the direction we were going in.) I am doing everything I can, within the directors instruction, to provide an acting choice that is true to the character and yet remains un"forced" and authentic. Hopefully as the show progresses, everyone will appreciate the efforts we are making to really make a great show, across the board, with all cast members. So continue liking or disliking, continue to share your thought, opinions, and feelings. Just be aware that there are ways to do it, that open up a space for creative ideas to flow, and other ways that just shut down the possibilities for something cool to come from it. Peace and blessings to you all!! Sincerely, Lex

TheUltimateNinja
I Live Here

Post by TheUltimateNinja » Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:02 pm

LexVO wrote: My final statement here... No one is asking anyone to beat around the bush. If you don't like the performance or what I am doing with the character, that's fine. I am not offended. I have been a voice actor for 21 plus years and played 500 plus characters in anime and other roles. Probably a whole bunch of parts you've heard throughout your childhood. (Sanosuke, Dr. Doom, Neo Cortex, Captain Harlock, Goemon, Batman, Wargreymon, Stormtroopers, and many many more) If I was offended every time I received any rejection or criticism, I would be too busy feeling bad to continue with new parts. There are ALWAYS people who like or dislike ANY part/actor. We all have differing opinions on actors in general. That's totally fine. In fact that's what freedom is about. My original post was simply saying that there is a more constructive way to share your opinions or dissatisfaction about the part. And that it may have been a bit premature with only viewing a promo and one or two episodes. The director is new to this project and getting her bearings, so we got a very slow start to dialing in these characters to what they will end up being. We are working on episode 10 now and we have come a long way since ep. 1 and 2 (where we were still unsure of the direction we were going in.) I am doing everything I can, within the directors instruction, to provide an acting choice that is true to the character and yet remains un"forced" and authentic. Hopefully as the show progresses, everyone will appreciate the efforts we are making to really make a great show, across the board, with all cast members. So continue liking or disliking, continue to share your thought, opinions, and feelings. Just be aware that there are ways to do it, that open up a space for creative ideas to flow, and other ways that just shut down the possibilities for something cool to come from it. Peace and blessings to you all!! Sincerely, Lex
It seems to me that you're focusing entirely on the overly negative posts, there's quite a few people here who've stated they like your version of Goku as well.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:19 pm

LexVO wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Lex Lang's Goku is bland, boring, forgettable and lacks any sort charisma and sounds awkward and forced sometimes(this part is probably down the script). In other words awful. I don't know why I have to beat around the bush cuz he's a "member" here (don't even know if he's legit). Infact I would be doing a disservice to him (if he is legit) if I was sucking up and saying his Goku was good.
My final statement here... No one is asking anyone to beat around the bush. If you don't like the performance or what I am doing with the character, that's fine. I am not offended. I have been a voice actor for 21 plus years and played 500 plus characters in anime and other roles. Probably a whole bunch of parts you've heard throughout your childhood. (Sanosuke, Dr. Doom, Neo Cortex, Captain Harlock, Goemon, Batman, Wargreymon, Stormtroopers, and many many more) If I was offended every time I received any rejection or criticism, I would be too busy feeling bad to continue with new parts. There are ALWAYS people who like or dislike ANY part/actor. We all have differing opinions on actors in general. That's totally fine. In fact that's what freedom is about. My original post was simply saying that there is a more constructive way to share your opinions or dissatisfaction about the part. And that it may have been a bit premature with only viewing a promo and one or two episodes. The director is new to this project and getting her bearings, so we got a very slow start to dialing in these characters to what they will end up being. We are working on episode 10 now and we have come a long way since ep. 1 and 2 (where we were still unsure of the direction we were going in.) I am doing everything I can, within the directors instruction, to provide an acting choice that is true to the character and yet remains un"forced" and authentic. Hopefully as the show progresses, everyone will appreciate the efforts we are making to really make a great show, across the board, with all cast members. So continue liking or disliking, continue to share your thought, opinions, and feelings. Just be aware that there are ways to do it, that open up a space for creative ideas to flow, and other ways that just shut down the possibilities for something cool to come from it. Peace and blessings to you all!! Sincerely, Lex
I appreciate the response and if you're saying you've come a long away since episode 1 then that's great, personally I am not continue the dub because the retellings in Super are bad and don't fancy watching them three times, but I'll gladly check back once the U6 arc starts.
You're only just working on 10? I guess Asia are going to air repeats or something then.

LexVO

Post by LexVO » Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:56 pm

TheUltimateNinja wrote:
LexVO wrote: My final statement here... No one is asking anyone to beat around the bush. If you don't like the performance or what I am doing with the character, that's fine. I am not offended. I have been a voice actor for 21 plus years and played 500 plus characters in anime and other roles. Probably a whole bunch of parts you've heard throughout your childhood. (Sanosuke, Dr. Doom, Neo Cortex, Captain Harlock, Goemon, Batman, Wargreymon, Stormtroopers, and many many more) If I was offended every time I received any rejection or criticism, I would be too busy feeling bad to continue with new parts. There are ALWAYS people who like or dislike ANY part/actor. We all have differing opinions on actors in general. That's totally fine. In fact that's what freedom is about. My original post was simply saying that there is a more constructive way to share your opinions or dissatisfaction about the part. And that it may have been a bit premature with only viewing a promo and one or two episodes. The director is new to this project and getting her bearings, so we got a very slow start to dialing in these characters to what they will end up being. We are working on episode 10 now and we have come a long way since ep. 1 and 2 (where we were still unsure of the direction we were going in.) I am doing everything I can, within the directors instruction, to provide an acting choice that is true to the character and yet remains un"forced" and authentic. Hopefully as the show progresses, everyone will appreciate the efforts we are making to really make a great show, across the board, with all cast members. So continue liking or disliking, continue to share your thought, opinions, and feelings. Just be aware that there are ways to do it, that open up a space for creative ideas to flow, and other ways that just shut down the possibilities for something cool to come from it. Peace and blessings to you all!! Sincerely, Lex
It seems to me that you're focusing entirely on the overly negative posts, there's quite a few people here who've stated they like your version of Goku as well.
that's the point.

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:57 pm

LexVO wrote:
TheUltimateNinja wrote:
that's the point.
Are you allowed to reveal who the ADR director is?
"You think you can defeat me? Using the power of those MOSQUITOS?! I am the legendary WARRIOR!" - Broly (Big Green Dub)

SuperKirillin
Not-So-Newbie

Post by SuperKirillin » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:13 pm

Hey guys, I've uploaded Episode 2 dub complete audio. Sorry for the delay...

The quality may not be that great but this is all I've got

DB_Fan1991
Advanced Regular

Post by DB_Fan1991 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:29 pm

SuperKirillin wrote:Hey guys, I've uploaded Episode 2 dub complete audio. Sorry for the delay...

Thanks so much
[url=http://www.facebook.com/Son.Goku.Densetsu]Facebook[/url]

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:31 pm

Wow, it sure is nice to have a Kaio that's not a near-incomprehensible caricature that totally misses the point of the character.

Props to Bang Zoom on that one. Very nice!
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Nightmare Wheel
Beyond Newbie

Post by Nightmare Wheel » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:43 pm

SuperKirillin wrote:Hey guys, I've uploaded Episode 2 dub complete audio. Sorry for the delay...

The quality is decent to my ears.

Do you mind doing more of these? Your quality is better than the India recordings and they might miss part of an episode again.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:48 pm

That King Kai is fantastic, although the bar wasn't exactly set all that high with whatever the hell Schemmel was doing. I mean, I don't hate Schemmel's King Kai, but as Ajay wonderfully summed up, it's a "near-incomprehensible caricature that totally misses the point of the character".

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:14 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:

That King Kai is fantastic, although the bar wasn't exactly set all that high with whatever the hell Schemmel was doing. I mean, I don't hate Schemmel's King Kai, but as Ajay wonderfully summed up, it's a "near-incomprehensible caricature that totally misses the point of the character".
Really don't why they didn't recast. Is it cuz Sean barely has any anime roles compared to some of his co stars? Was totally a missed opportunity to not have Doc Morgan voice King Kai similarly seems a missed opportunity to not have BZ King Kai be the BZ Narrator.

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:06 pm

Bulma: Great! A slightly less bubbly Monica Rial.
Kaio: Anything is better than a Cartman impression, but I don't really like this take either. Sounds a bit like Rick from Rick and Morty.
Vegeta: Wish it didn't have the gruff...sounds too much like a Sabat impression. I think Sabat's a great actor, but I've always wanted to hear a normal sounding English Vegeta. Alas...

Oh boy.

jelleline89
Beyond Newbie

Post by jelleline89 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:57 pm

Lex keeps saying he's going to leave but still responds to only the negative feedback. Make up your mind already. The more he does this, the less genuine hia statements become, which in my opinion is the worst thing anyone can do on a forum.

ProjectAlpha22
Not-So-Newbie

Post by ProjectAlpha22 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:59 pm

batistabus wrote:Bulma: Great! A slightly less bubbly Monica Rial.
Kaio: Anything is better than a Cartman impression, but I don't really like this take either. Sounds a bit like Rick from Rick and Morty.
Vegeta: Wish it didn't have the gruff...sounds too much like a Sabat impression. I think Sabat's a great actor, but I've always wanted to hear a normal sounding English Vegeta. Alas...

Oh boy.
Dude I just went back to that episode. King Kai sounds like Justin Roiland got drunk and crashed a recording session, and I love it.
-Insert Something Creative-

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:11 pm

ProjectAlpha22 wrote:
batistabus wrote:Bulma: Great! A slightly less bubbly Monica Rial.

Oh boy.
Dude I just went back to that episode. King Kai sounds like Justin Roiland got drunk and crashed a recording session, and I love it.
While I respectfully disagree with that description (it sounds more elderly to me and I really like it), I do find this last post funny only because some episodes of Rick and Morty actually have been recorded at Bang-Zoom's studios...so Justin Roiland theoretically could get drunk and crash a recording session. :lol:
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

NintendoBlaze53
Regular

Post by NintendoBlaze53 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:10 pm

Glad to know I was 100% correct on Lex's limitations being on the ADR director and script writer. I really hate judging some dubs by a few episodes, hell it's why most of the non-Kanzenshuu Dragon Ball community hate Kai, they watched one episode and gave up cause it's not what they were used too. It's also why the Attack On Titan dub is so hated despite being one of Funimation's most ambitions and well constructed and acted dubs, people didn't give it a chance enough to really see what made it so great. I look forward to seeing how the Bang Zoom cast grow and evolve into these characters, I love Dragon Ball so I can't see a reason to completely ignore a dub that stars some of my favourite voice actors in the business.
"You should enjoy the little detours. To the fullest. Because that's where you'll find the things more important than what you want." -Ging Freecss

If you care about opinionated/critical analysis and reviews of anime, manga and gaming products, feel free to check out my website. https://otakustance.wordpress.com/

hulkedoutdude
Beyond Newbie

Post by hulkedoutdude » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:33 pm

NintendoBlaze53 wrote:Glad to know I was 100% correct on Lex's limitations being on the ADR director and script writer. I really hate judging some dubs by a few episodes, hell it's why most of the non-Kanzenshuu Dragon Ball community hate Kai, they watched one episode and gave up cause it's not what they were used too. It's also why the Attack On Titan dub is so hated despite being one of Funimation's most ambitions and well constructed and acted dubs, people didn't give it a chance enough to really see what made it so great. I look forward to seeing how the Bang Zoom cast grow and evolve into these characters, I love Dragon Ball so I can't see a reason to completely ignore a dub that stars some of my favourite voice actors in the business.
Ditto!!!

Vados_chan
Banned

Post by Vados_chan » Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:06 am

My god Funi fanboys are obnoxious twats. Sorry not sorry but reading through this thread against my better judgement has pissed me right off.

Newsflash they fucking suck. They are the most overrated dubbing group of all time. On top of that they have pretty much monopolized the industry and most of the VAs are complete dickheads who walk around acting like their shit doesn't stink. I hope one these days they go under or some other group steps up to challenge them, cause they are cancer.

Rant over.

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:16 am

Vados_chan wrote:My god Funi fanboys are obnoxious twats. Sorry not sorry but reading through this thread against my better judgement has pissed me right off.

Newsflash they fucking suck. They are the most overrated dubbing group of all time. On top of that they have pretty much monopolized the industry and most of the VAs are complete dickheads who walk around acting like their shit doesn't stink. I hope one these days they go under or some other group steps up to challenge them, cause they are cancer.

Rant over.
Wow, I guess you didn't read what Mike said
"You think you can defeat me? Using the power of those MOSQUITOS?! I am the legendary WARRIOR!" - Broly (Big Green Dub)

LexVO

Post by LexVO » Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:12 am

jelleline89 wrote:Lex keeps saying he's going to leave but still responds to only the negative feedback. Make up your mind already. The more he does this, the less genuine hia statements become, which in my opinion is the worst thing anyone can do on a forum.
Please read my posts before making broad statements that are incorrect. I did say I think I'm gonna bail, but I was engaged by the varied replies, so I stayed on a bit longer.

And, BTW, it's you who attach, "the less genuine" to my statements. I am as authentic as you can get.

And PS: who are YOU to tell me to make up my mind already? Seriously...you got some NADS, my friend. As a member of this forum I can post that I am wavering between spending anymore of my time debating with nuckleheads, or not, as many times as I want. I suppose it should only "really" concern you if I am quoting you in my thread.

Seriously, this group could use a chill pill or two. You guys want to create an environment where the people behind the scenes on the show/shows that you claim to love can feel welcome and have intelligent conversations? Well, news flash, you're missing the mark. Not all of you,of course, but the "haters" "cynics", "judge-ers", and "critics", are really mucking up the territory here. And that's why I have considered/am considering, "bailing" on this forum.