Are the crunchyroll subs for super official?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

visser

Are the crunchyroll subs for super official?

Post by visser » Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:35 pm

Pretty much the title, are the subs done by professionals, hired by the company legally releasing the content?

Theophrastus
Regular

Re: Are the crunchyroll subs for super official?

Post by Theophrastus » Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:51 pm

They're legitimate, yes. Crunchyroll hasn't been a piracy site for years.

That being said, the translations are not done by Steve Simmons, Funimation's usual translator for Dragon Ball stuff. They appear to be done by some other person or group that Toei hired themselves.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:14 pm

Hard to believe because they mix dub names with japanese terms, but yeah they are official.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

visser

Post by visser » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:20 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote:Hard to believe because they mix dub names with japanese terms, but yeah they are official.
So that begs the question, even if they are official, are they accurate? are they good?

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:41 pm

visser wrote:So that begs the question, even if they are official, are they accurate? are they good?
Pretty good, yeah!

If you're interested in a full breakdown, you can hear our very own Herms break it down in this (relatively) recent podcast.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

visser

Post by visser » Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:06 pm

Ajay wrote:
visser wrote:So that begs the question, even if they are official, are they accurate? are they good?
Pretty good, yeah!

If you're interested in a full breakdown, you can hear our very own Herms break it down in this (relatively) recent podcast.
Thanks I'll listen to it. From watching it, it seems a little looser than the translations Simmons put out, though that can make it Sound more natural. I have also seen a few typing mistakes like they'fe instead of they're, which is why i questioned if they were official subs. It seems like translating the older episodes was done in a bit of a rush.

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Post by OmegaRockman » Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:46 pm

visser wrote:
Ajay wrote:
Pretty good, yeah!

Thanks I'll listen to it. From watching it, it seems a little looser than the translations Simmons put out, though that can make it Sound more natural. I have also seen a few typing mistakes like they'fe instead of they're, which is why i questioned if they were official subs. It seems like translating the older episodes was done in a bit of a rush.
Well, considering their release rate of 10 older episodes per week until they got caught up, the occasional mistake isn't surprising. The subs should be more refined for the home release at least. I just hope they get Simmons to tweak/retranslate them with the proper Japanese terms.
The self-proclaimed World's Biggest Dragon Ball Kai Fan™

My YouTube

Yomi
Regular

Post by Yomi » Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:04 pm

Ajay wrote:
Pretty good, yeah!

I sometimes wonder if herms is justified in his position as the authority on translation,in the dragon ball fandom.
Seems like everyone pitches it that way, but he seems pretty average, vague, and nebulous, a sizable minority of the time.
I guess he could be considered the most active.
:clap:

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:55 pm

Yomi wrote:I sometimes wonder if herms is justified in his position as the authority on translation,in the dragon ball fandom.
Seems like everyone pitches it that way, but he seems pretty average, vague, and nebulous, a sizable minority of the time.
I guess he could be considered the most active.
Herms has the highest possible qualification in the Japanese-Language Proficiency Test, he has translation credits on an official Toriyama-related release, and has been translating Dragon Ball content accurately for, what, over a decade now? Yeah, I'd say the reputation is pretty justified!

I think you're mistaking his pretty laid-back nature as an indicator that he's not all he's hyped up to be, but I assure you that's not the case. As someone who's had the pleasure of watching him translate in real-time, it's a sight to behold.

You only have to look at his work on and off-site to see what's what. He's good!
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

theoriginalbilis
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by theoriginalbilis » Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:37 pm

If using the English dub names are the only things that be considered "bad" about the subtitles, that's actually not too shabby.

We could've had it way worse:

1) The VHS-era fansub community, which had no consistency in translation quality due to various sources and distributors. Also, lots of them overused profanity in an attempt to hide the poor translations.

2) The current-era speed subbers who worked on Kai and Super before being officially licensed. A lot of them suffered from typos, inconsistent naming, and mis-translations so bad they actually affected the story.

3) Late-90's/early 2000's-era FUNimation dub; where the scripts were re-written so much that character personalities and the tone of many scenes were altered even if the main story beats remained intact.

These Crunchyroll subs are solid; all of that considered.
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

Yomi
Regular

Post by Yomi » Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:18 pm

Ajay wrote:
Herms has the highest possible qualification in the Japanese-Language Proficiency Test, he has translation credits on an official Toriyama-related release, and has been translating Dragon Ball content accurately for, what, over a decade now? Yeah, I'd say the reputation is pretty justified!

I think you're mistaking his pretty laid-back nature as an indicator that he's not all he's hyped up to be, but I assure you that's not the case. As someone who's had the pleasure of watching him translate in real-time, it's a sight to behold.

You only have to look at his work on and off-site to see what's what. He's good!
I'll take your word for it, but I still think there are better ones out there. :?
:clap: