Why I love the Future Trunks arc

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Lujin_16
Regular

Why I love the Future Trunks arc

Post by Lujin_16 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:57 am

This Arc added something new in the Dragonball Franchise

1. The Motiv of Zamasu/Black Goku
2. Complex Story(It was not a typical simple story of Dragonball)
3. The Fighting Scenes Quality (Black Goku & Zamasu vs Goku & Trunks/Vegeta & Goku vs Zamasu & Black Goku/Vegetto vs Merge Zamasu
4. Dark Ending
5. The Soundtrack(It feels different than a Dragonball soundtrack much darker in my opinion)
6. No Dragonball's to revive back the people who died
7. Ki Blade /Sword fights( it was not just hand to hand combat all the time)

Maybe i forget something let me know :D

Bansho64
I Live Here

Re: why i love The Future Trunks Arc

Post by Bansho64 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:56 am

The voice acting was good.
Last edited by Bansho64 on Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Why I love the Future Trunks arc

Post by Grimlock » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:03 am

I could love even more this saga if it had a better ending. So many things to happen but they decided to make Trunks living with himself... Worst ending I've ever seen of all sagas.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:54 am

The biggest problem I have with the Future Trunks arc is the fact it wasn't longer, and I also disliked the amount of Pilaf Gang scenes. Some things could also have been a lot better with very little additions to the story. I also wonder how good it would have been with a better schedule. I actually liked the ending even though I would have preferred if they expanded upon it.

It still is one of the best story arcs we got in the franchise, and I really hope Toei will fix the bad art in the remaining episodes they still haven't released in Blu-Ray discs.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Basaku
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Basaku » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:57 am

It definitely should've been longer and more developed, clearly it's where adapting a serialized manga would benefit the whole thing versus making up stuff from vague outline sent by Toriyama on a napkin, but it's still a nice arc with some great ideas and much needed darker tone returning to the series

MyNiggaGoku
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by MyNiggaGoku » Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:03 pm

I loved the whole Goku Black mystery,Zamasu's gradual development & the fights were pretty well animated.Up until episode 64,this arc was one of the best in the franchise.The only thing I despised inside these episodes was Super Saiyan Rage,a completely forced & stupid form imo.64 onwards we had:Goku Black making a dimension ripping scythe (what?),STrunks learning the Mafuba through very stupid means and performing a Genki Dama out of nowhere,Vegetto being brought up for about 7 minutes or so(I liked the Potarra retcon though,it was necessary) & a pretty dark ending,which Trunks didn't deserve at all.These problems didn't ruin the arc for me,but thinking how much potential was wasted makes me very sad.
My Dragon Ball Super 'Canon'

Rubens
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Rubens » Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:05 pm

I agree, since it was the first Super arc I was actually looking forward to next week's episode, it just didn't come fast enough! However, that feeling started to wane as the arc reached its climax and the ending - too messy, too rushed (the handling of the Mafuba was disastrous, the forgotten stuff, the retreats...), unexplained stuff and honestly, a really, really depressing ending. But it was great arc nonetheless.
I'm back!

Lurking around here since 2014. Just an old fan who regained his passion for Dragon Ball since then.

z_cherub
Beyond Newbie

Post by z_cherub » Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:16 pm

Agreed. It was a fantastic arc until the wheels came off at the end and it wasn't. Toei have the finger to my suspension of disbelief for several episodes with the "just kidding SSJ Blue" and Genki Dama Sword Trunks moves out of nowhere.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:19 pm

The Future Trunks arc rules. Yes, it had some issues such a not explaining what the hell Future Trunks Raging SSJ transformation was, the constant time hopping, the time paradox nonsense and the whole Genki Dama sword shenanigans. But the good vastly outweigh the bad, in my opinion. I was dismissive about the idea of "Evil Goku", but Goku Black delivered in spades. Zamasu was a fantastically written character as a whole and the best main villain Dragon Ball has ever created. The ending was a total shocker but was also heartbreaking and surprisingly heartwarming and made me go through emotions that I had never gone through before when watching Dragon Ball. It's Dragon Ball's most mature arc by leaps and bounds and the apex of storytelling in the franchise.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:23 pm

It was without question a fantastic arc for the most part, I'm a bit conflicted about Zeno cleaning up everyone's mess, but if Super expands on the theme of mortals relying on Gods too much I may forgive it as it would be a good way to tie everything from Goku befriending Beerus, Whis' involvement in the Resurrection F arc and perhaps whatever twist in the current arc will either save or revive 11 of the 12 universes.

All that said the best thing to come of this arc was Nozawa's Goku Black, winning over dub fans (as a huge fan of the later dubs I do not say this pejoratively) after almost two decades is an accomplishment in itself, even for her.

And I must say Episode 66 is one of my favourite episodes in the franchise.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

RehBeh
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by RehBeh » Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:24 pm

Eh, it was entertaining. Excluding all the ass-pulls F. Trunks received and that stupid ending I would say it was a good one at least.
GT wasn't that bad
DBZ Macky wrote:
RehBeh wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote: He is, its just that no one holds him in high esteem, even in-universe.
He must feel awful. Being a God and no one respects him. Just sad.
And Zamasu thought he had it bad. Fuckin' edgy Kaios thinking about "Justice" and shit just because they got strong by chance.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:27 pm

It's one good fanedit away from being truly fantastic, as of right now, it's good for two-thirds but collapses on the way to the finish line.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

gohan_black
Beyond Newbie

Post by gohan_black » Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:23 pm

It felt like dragon ball z was finally back. It had that special darkness and misery theme to it like the cell sega. Great and badass fight scenes. Solid animation troughout the entire arc. Yes it was huge and drastical improvement to the show

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:27 pm

The ending is great and the protracted mystery of its villain was enjoyable to follow in a weekly format.

In general, the arc is full of decisions I admire.

When I think of having to sit through most of its episodes for a potential rewatch in the future though, my enthusiasm drops drastically. Super's scripts render most of the arc such a slog. I don't know if it's worth bearing with just for the ending and how good its ideas are imagining different execution for them.

Yes, I know this is how most fans talk about GT. I guess the Future Trunks arc is my GT.

Or, moving away from Dragon Ball, it's a book I'm glad I read once because it absolutely nails its payoff, but I would never want to go through the experience of reading it again.
Last edited by Cipher on Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:31 pm

Well so far it IS the best arc of anything post Buu saga. Unless we get something else truly great, it will be the only really good arc we got after the introduction of Beerus.

MozillaVulpix
Regular

Post by MozillaVulpix » Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:28 pm

It really was one of the most unique things Super (and honestly, Dragon Ball in general) has done.

It started with an incredibly slow and actually kind of emotional build-up with mystery and intrigue. There was actual on-screen romantic subplots. We had episodes dedicated to the characters and their emotions and their situations. Fight scenes started looking like modern animation and when it worked, it was exhilarating. Zamasu was essentially 'Baby's First Villain with a God Complex' and I really appreciate how they used him. And for the first time, Super took itself out of the "Goku and Vegeta show" - perhaps almost a bit too much for other people's liking, in that they wanted Future Trunks to actually contribute to the fights without any sort of complex strategies or hoops to jump through to justify giving him something important to do.

The Genkidama Sword is one of the first times I can understand why people say "yeah, this makes no sense, but it's so cool! Why can't you just accept how cool it is?" In that I don't care how contrived people say it is, it is one of those moments I think I'm going to love for years. It is just that awesome to me.

The only things that gripe me are the few moments where they could have gone further. Vegeta and Kid Trunks definitely felt like they could have done more in the story. Gohan as well, if only because they decided to pretty much end the arc on him. I honestly would have liked to see more from the Future Mai given her importance in the promotional material. And Episode 66 was rushed and we can leave it at that.

Even if it won't be looked upon that fondly within a few years, it definitely was an experience. I can't say that much for other parts of Super.
I could have gotten into anything...and yet I chose the story aimed at young Japanese boys about martial arts, and later about super-powerful aliens punching each other really hard.

https://www.youtube.com/c/MozillaVulpix

ChaosLordBrandon
Regular

Post by ChaosLordBrandon » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:18 pm

MozillaVulpix wrote:It really was one of the most unique things Super (and honestly, Dragon Ball in general) has done.

It started with an incredibly slow and actually kind of emotional build-up with mystery and intrigue. There was actual on-screen romantic subplots. We had episodes dedicated to the characters and their emotions and their situations. Fight scenes started looking like modern animation and when it worked, it was exhilarating. Zamasu was essentially 'Baby's First Villain with a God Complex' and I really appreciate how they used him. And for the first time, Super took itself out of the "Goku and Vegeta show" - perhaps almost a bit too much for other people's liking, in that they wanted Future Trunks to actually contribute to the fights without any sort of complex strategies or hoops to jump through to justify giving him something important to do.

The Genkidama Sword is one of the first times I can understand why people say "yeah, this makes no sense, but it's so cool! Why can't you just accept how cool it is?" In that I don't care how contrived people say it is, it is one of those moments I think I'm going to love for years. It is just that awesome to me.

The only things that gripe me are the few moments where they could have gone further. Vegeta and Kid Trunks definitely felt like they could have done more in the story. Gohan as well, if only because they decided to pretty much end the arc on him. I honestly would have liked to see more from the Future Mai given her importance in the promotional material. And Episode 66 was rushed and we can leave it at that.

Even if it won't be looked upon that fondly within a few years, it definitely was an experience. I can't say that much for other parts of Super.
Zamasu will be tho. Have you seen all of the fan art of him with the Gowasa, Elephant god and the u10 Angel?

Zamasu entire fanbase has become their fans.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:48 pm

I wish Zamasu had survived. I very much prefer seeing villains have a chance to reform instead of killing them off like Omni King did. Zamasu would've debated Gohan for hours about the nature of justice. A trip to New Namek would've done him good being shown an example of an entire race of people living in harmony with nature and each other. His conflicted crush on Gokû's body would've continued until maybe instead of stealing it he'd have tried to get his own body into shape.

And then there's the entire ending that I thought was going to happen which never did - the one where Omni King punishes Zamasu and Gokû Black by forcing them to be his friends.

Or if they wanted to go the comedic route, forced-community-service!Zamasu could've held potential in the same vein as Freeza in Earth's hell does. If you strip away most of Zamasu's megalomaniac power he's pretty close to being DBS's Squidward. (And now I want to see an episode of Zamasu and Gokû delivering a pizza, but that's besides the point).

Closer to the OT though....

I thoroughly enjoyed the first 2/3rds of the Future Trunks arc. The ending was too messy and did it a disservice (Omni King button, really? Having two Future Trunkses and two Future Mais, really? That's the best solution they could come to? :| ).

-The Mystery of Gokû Black was phenomenally fun to theorize about. I had so many theories and even though none of them came true I had a wonderful time guessing with everyone.
-Future Mai is so cool.
-Gowasu and Zamasu having unofficial catchphrases in the form of "Zamasu!" and "Ningen!" The YouTube compilations of both of those I saw were wonderful.
-Rosé's color scheme; that pale pink hair on top of the dark grey dougi with the red sash was very appealing.
-Ki swords. Ki scythes. Yes please.
-Zamasu would be the first one to kabe-don Gokû.
-Zamasu's intimate knowledge of tropes in general.
-I'd wanted to see Future Trunks return to see what became of everyone after he left ever since I originally saw the Cell arc. Even though he didn't meet everyone I wanted him to meet, he still hit most of the major ones I wanted him to.
-Gowasu is such a nice old guy; even if he did poorly as a teacher. His thing with KamiTube was fun.
-I almost died this past summer only one episode into this arc (47 was the last one I saw before the accident); it along with many other things and people helped me get through the bizarre adventure that was the 2nd half of last June, all of July, and most of August.

I really enjoyed the Future Trunks arc overall. It was a breath of fresh air after yet-another-tournament and the two TV versions of the movies (and part of why I'm so sad we're transitioning back into yet-another-tournament-Part-2). I want to hope it did well enough for Super to consider doing another arc full of mysteries to solve--or even one big mystery.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Freeza9000
Advanced Regular

Post by Freeza9000 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:43 am

Chuquita wrote:I wish Zamasu had survived. I very much prefer seeing villains have a chance to reform instead of killing them off like Omni King did. Zamasu would've debated Gohan for hours about the nature of justice. A trip to New Namek would've done him good being shown an example of an entire race of people living in harmony with nature and each other. His conflicted crush on Gokû's body would've continued until maybe instead of stealing it he'd have tried to get his own body into shape.

And then there's the entire ending that I thought was going to happen which never did - the one where Omni King punishes Zamasu and Gokû Black by forcing them to be his friends.

Or if they wanted to go the comedic route, forced-community-service!Zamasu could've held potential in the same vein as Freeza in Earth's hell does. If you strip away most of Zamasu's megalomaniac power he's pretty close to being DBS's Squidward. (And now I want to see an episode of Zamasu and Gokû delivering a pizza, but that's besides the point).

Closer to the OT though....

I thoroughly enjoyed the first 2/3rds of the Future Trunks arc. The ending was too messy and did it a disservice (Omni King button, really? Having two Future Trunkses and two Future Mais, really? That's the best solution they could come to? :| ).

-The Mystery of Gokû Black was phenomenally fun to theorize about. I had so many theories and even though none of them came true I had a wonderful time guessing with everyone.
-Future Mai is so cool.
-Gowasu and Zamasu having unofficial catchphrases in the form of "Zamasu!" and "Ningen!" The YouTube compilations of both of those I saw were wonderful.
-Rosé's color scheme; that pale pink hair on top of the dark grey dougi with the red sash was very appealing.
-Ki swords. Ki scythes. Yes please.
-Zamasu would be the first one to kabe-don Gokû.
-Zamasu's intimate knowledge of tropes in general.
-I'd wanted to see Future Trunks return to see what became of everyone after he left ever since I originally saw the Cell arc. Even though he didn't meet everyone I wanted him to meet, he still hit most of the major ones I wanted him to.
-Gowasu is such a nice old guy; even if he did poorly as a teacher. His thing with KamiTube was fun.
-I almost died this past summer only one episode into this arc (47 was the last one I saw before the accident); it along with many other things and people helped me get through the bizarre adventure that was the 2nd half of last June, all of July, and most of August.

I really enjoyed the Future Trunks arc overall. It was a breath of fresh air after yet-another-tournament and the two TV versions of the movies (and part of why I'm so sad we're transitioning back into yet-another-tournament-Part-2). I want to hope it did well enough for Super to consider doing another arc full of mysteries to solve--or even one big mystery.
I doubt Zamasu seeing New Namek would even change him considering how he destroyed what was left of Trunks's future that was rebuilding after destruction of the Artificial Humans. If anything, he would most likely think of them as sinners for daring to create similar wishing objects to gods' original wishing orbs which lead evil like Freeza or Vegeta to almost obtaining their immoral selfish wishes.

dbs fanboy
Advanced Regular

Post by dbs fanboy » Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:57 pm

Yep, truly in my top 5 of best arcs in db. I still need to write all my thoughts about it someday once all the hype has died off.

It was truly good, the villain was interesting, the symbolism, the mistery, the development, the animation, the interactions, the score..........etc
It has almost everything i want in a db arc (minus power consistence), and it's ending, was bittersweet, unexpected and it change this story into a tragic and darker one in the franchise; this is the kind of conclusion that ( and this in the case dbs aired when i was younger) i would have liked thinking that it was a happy ending (the villain is dead and Trunks is going to live with happily in another timeline) only to end up loving it to death once i grew up and realized how deep it truly was
I really miss ma boy, Black :( :cry:

dbgtFO wrote: