What's everyone's thoughts on *SPOILER* ​coming back?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheMikado
I Live Here

Re: What's everyone's thoughts on *SPOILER* ​coming back?

Post by TheMikado » Mon May 08, 2017 9:10 am

Totamo wrote:Freeza is the most popular villain in all of dragon Ball, his movie is the best selling in the franchise and it was specifically because of him.

He is also the third most powerful nongod character.

it makes sense from a merch perspective for bandai and a power perspective for the power fans.

it's the fans who care about the story that will be upset, but unfortunately those fans don't bring the dough

I say this, if you stuck around for evil goku and female broly, you are in way too deep to back out now
People were hoping for a more art first, money second approach. We are aware the original run did look at what was "cool" and would sell well in regards to the editors. However you would be hard pressed to same the story was driven to maximize the most dollar signs, which is what and why people are complaining now.

jplaya2023
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by jplaya2023 » Mon May 08, 2017 9:10 am

i don't understand why they keep teasing buu only to remove him again. This is a joke to me. I don't like this. get rid of roshi or something

pacz360
I Live Here

Post by pacz360 » Mon May 08, 2017 9:13 am

Is it wrong that I hope that this whole freeza is toei trolling the shut outta of us.

Totamo
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Totamo » Mon May 08, 2017 9:16 am

TheMikado wrote:
Totamo wrote:Freeza is the most popular villain in all of dragon Ball, his movie is the best selling in the franchise and it was specifically because of him.

it makes sense from a merch perspective for bandai and a power perspective for the power fans.

it's the fans who care about the story that will be upset, but unfortunately those fans don't bring the dough

I say this, if you stuck around for evil goku and female broly, you are in way too deep to back out now
People were hoping for a more art first, money second approach. We are aware the original run did look at what was "cool" and would sell well in regards to the editors. However you would be hard pressed to same the story was driven to maximize the most dollar signs, which is what and why people are complaining now.
I understand but that's what modern dragon ball is.

it's about the money, if you don't like this, I heavily advise you to get out now, because if this idea works money wise, rating wise, they will go even deeper.

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Mon May 08, 2017 9:22 am

Totamo wrote:
TheMikado wrote:

it's about the money, if you don't like this, I heavily advise you to get out now, because if this idea works money wise, rating wise, they will go even deeper.
Doesn't seem to be working in America. Looks like they are taking your advice.

pacz360
I Live Here

Post by pacz360 » Mon May 08, 2017 9:28 am

TheMikado wrote:
Totamo wrote:
TheMikado wrote:

How super doing in America?

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Mon May 08, 2017 9:28 am

jplaya2023 wrote:i don't understand why they keep teasing buu only to remove him again. This is a joke to me. I don't like this. get rid of roshi or something
Again this is my only issue. Someone like Roshi should have been dropped. Hell almost anyone but Buu.
Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon May 08, 2017 9:33 am

pacz360 wrote:
TheMikado wrote:
Totamo wrote: I understand but that's what modern dragon ball is.

How super doing in America?
Really well, Part One Blu-ray pre orders seem to be outpacing Kai sets by a large margin, heck it is second on Amazon best selling anime at the moment and it isn't out until July! Ratings have been good, Merchandise and Toys are yet to roll out so it remains be seen how those go. Simulcast numbers are also pretty good too I think.

Overall better than expected really, especially since they are still in the retellings phase.
Last edited by Baggie_Saiyan on Mon May 08, 2017 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Mon May 08, 2017 9:35 am

If it's a one-off gag episode based around Boo sleeping, then it's another case of Super reusing comedy that was never particularly funny in the first place.

If it's serious and we're really getting Freeza back yet again, and this time at the cost of Boo, then Super has totally lost the plot, and this already uninteresting arc just hit rock-bottom.

Considering Toyotaro's comments, I feel like it's going to be the latter.

Perhaps the interactions with Freeza as a teammate might be funny, maybe he'll pull something that puts the universe in jeopardy - I don't know. Either way, I don't see it being anything but predictable old hat. I hope I'm wrong!
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

pacz360
I Live Here

Post by pacz360 » Mon May 08, 2017 9:39 am

[quote="Ajay"]If it's a one-off gag episode based around Boo sleeping, then it's another case of Super reusing comedy that was never particularly funny in the first place.

If it's serious and we're really getting Freeza back yet again, and this time at the cost of Boo, then Super has totally lost the plot, and this already uninteresting arc just hit rock-bottom.

Perhaps the interactions with Freeza as a teammate might be funny, maybe he'll pull something that puts the universe in jeopardy - I don't know. Either way, I don't see it being anything but predictable old hat. I hope I'm wrong![/quote]
I really hope this is the case.

Totamo

Post by Totamo » Mon May 08, 2017 9:48 am

Ajay wrote:If it's a one-off gag episode based around Boo sleeping, then it's another case of Super reusing comedy that was never particularly funny in the first place.

Perhaps the interactions with Freeza as a teammate might be funny, maybe he'll pull something that puts the universe in jeopardy - I don't know. Either way, I don't see it being anything but predictable old hat. I hope I'm wrong!
Well you what they say when you hit rock buttom, either smash through the roofs of hell or bounce back up.

Totamo

Post by Totamo » Mon May 08, 2017 9:49 am

pacz360 wrote:Is it wrong that I hope that this whole freeza is toei trolling the shut outta of us.
hope but don't expect.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon May 08, 2017 9:50 am

Ajay wrote:If it's a one-off gag episode based around Boo sleeping, then it's another case of Super reusing comedy that was never particularly funny in the first place.

If this Freeza thing is actually gonna happen then I hope that is the case and Freeza plans to sabotage U7 and plans to get revenge on Goku and Vegeta so it adds another dynamic to the ToP as they have to deal with Freeza and it keeps his character in tact.

Master Xar
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Master Xar » Mon May 08, 2017 10:10 am

Like Boo Machine I'm cautiously optimistic, if they play this straight and keep it serious along with some well executed development on both sides then I could imagine myself even forgiving the Buu sideline, hell we could even get some iconic scenes.

Draconic
I Live Here

Post by Draconic » Mon May 08, 2017 10:15 am

It's stupid. Really really stupid. Not because it's "fanservice" or what other term people repeat over and over until it loses all meaning, but because it goes against EVERYTHING they've been feeding us since the beginning of the arc. They put emphasis on teamwork, showed weaker characters can be relevant in fights, repeated countless times "power is not everything", but when an emergency situation arose what is the default choice? The strongest remaining guy in U7 who, not only doesn't have experience working alongside others, but actually has to fight together with his mortal enemies. Kills the whole point of the tournament.

I was expecting this arc to finally be the death of the stupid fighting "rules" introduced in Dragon Ball after the Cell arc that pretty much sucked all the fun out of combat. Now I'm disappointed.

Not to mention, all of this is at the cost of Majin Buu, the most interesting fighter and a fun character in his own right. And the cause of it is the same gag they've done twice already, with unfunny results.

On the other hand, having Freeza team up with the good guys does have potential to be fun. It can also give Vegeta something more character wise to team up with the person he hates most, rather than be a grumpy dad trough the whole thing. Not to mention him winning and getting the wish with the Super Dragon Balls could lead directly to the next arc. Freeza rebelling against the GoDs, creating a new Empire trough the whole multiverse? Sounds like fun!

It also makes RoF actually feel important, rather than a one-day ordeal that had no place in the show, especially after the Black arc, where Goku and Vegeta proved to have learned their lesson.

I'd rather it be a gag episode, since I hate the idea, but I'm not going to jump the gun and declare the arc ruined. It's a poor decision trough and trough, but if the Tournament is fun, with the stuff prior to it being great, it really is nothing but a grievance.

If they at least had Freeza there from the start, it would barely be a problem. Getting the strongest guys possible, THEN choosing based on teamwork and tactics makes sense. Leave the middle guys out, in order for someone to have your back, playing support so to speak? Great idea.
Or, you know, replace Roshi or Tenshinhan, who bring little to the team in both power and strategy, not fucking Buu.
Check out the videos below, made by yours truly!

Goku vs Beerus BOG/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/kKKnMe

Vegeta vs Freeza ROF/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/MKPepW

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Mon May 08, 2017 10:24 am

Laughable, but practical. However Roshi or Tenshinhan should have made way, not Buu(are his abilities too overpowered or what?).
If it is not a joke episode, then it's just further corroboration that Toriyama really loves Freeza like really.

I wanted Freeza to remain alive after RoF, so I suppose I should be happy he's brought back.. Maybe he'll get rewarded with getting his life back or maybe he really will only get a day's worth in the living world, before going back again, who knows.
But since we are already dealing in absurdities here, why not have him come back, reform himself and make it tie in to Neko Majin?
That's what I wanted as a joke scenario back with RoF, so getting it now would be good, then Super can turn into a full on gag series, as the shark has been well and truly jumped anyways!

Esfír Dedragón
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Esfír Dedragón » Mon May 08, 2017 10:43 am

Metaphorically speaking, if Toei was a person, I would have to control my biggest urge in beating him up to a pulp, until I realize that it was probably Toriyama's idea all along. :cry:

Ever since I saw the new ending featuring Buu sleeping on a cloud, I wondered if that was a foreshadowing of how he would be treated in the story.
DRAGON BALL IS THE KING OF (Fighting) ANIME!!!!!!! In my opinion, at least... :think:

My reaction to anything about Dragon Ball post-2013 that I don't like and/or is stupid. :P
https://coub.com/view/6osx6

kidhero1000
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by kidhero1000 » Mon May 08, 2017 10:51 am

Esfír Dedragón wrote:Metaphorically speaking, if Toei was a person, I would have to control my biggest urge in beating him up to a pulp, until I realize that it was probably Toriyama's idea all along. :cry:

Ever since I saw the new ending featuring Buu sleeping on a cloud, I wondered if that was a foreshadowing of how he would be treated in the story.

Nah, man. No controlling any urges. Either everyone at Toei, Toriyama, or Toyotaro would definitely have to take an ass whupping for the culture for rehashing this bullshit again.

A well deserved one too.
He devolved into saying only one word. Time to hit the ol' cosmic trail.

HybridSaiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by HybridSaiyan » Mon May 08, 2017 11:06 am

Why Frieza though? This was such a great opportunity to bring back Raditz or Nappa. Something new to the mix. Frieza is sooooooo boring now.

Low Tone G

Post by Low Tone G » Mon May 08, 2017 11:10 am

Diggz92 wrote:Like the title states what your thoughts on this topic? I for one like frieza but as a villain and it doesn't make since for him to be the 10th fighter. Yamcha isn't strong but the hyperbolic time chamber would help him somewhat.
My first thought: "F*ck you, Buu!"

Really he let Satan down for the 3rd time!

Does this joke work for this time? I mustn't work!

But, hey... Freeza will witness the Legendary Super Saiyan.... Both of his biggest fears will come true.
English is not my first language!
I'm still waiting for Dragon Ball in Super...