What's everyone's thoughts on *SPOILER* ​coming back?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Spolier*** What's everyone thought on this character​coming back?

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Mon May 08, 2017 1:21 am

The_Destroyer wrote:I wish they put Yamcha or maybe even Pikkon if they planned to replace someone on the team, else they should have just left it. I'm sick of Frieza. It's annoying when American comics bring back characters from the dead constantly, and it's the same here.
Let's be fair here - they introduced a plot device for letting characters come back from the dead in the first few chapters of the manga, and it's been used for that very purpose countless times since then. It's not exactly something you can complain about now.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Re: What's everyone's thoughts on *SPOILER* ​coming back?

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Mon May 08, 2017 1:33 am

Kchlu wrote:Conflicted. On one hand, I'm kinda glad that Freeza's back since this kinda makes the RoF arc not as unimportant as I thought. On the other, Buu got shafted again (sigh).

Oh well, just hope that they play this straight and I look forward to the multiple interactions that the tyrant will bring!
I agree, while bringing Freeza back is undoubtedly lazy storytelling it is ironically at best one of the few ways I can think of for Resurrection F to matter, and Buu falling asleep is beyond stupid at this point. It could be worse, Freeza could turn good, although I'm putting my fate in the writers to never let this happen.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Mon May 08, 2017 1:37 am

Majin Buu put on the sidelines yet again? Why did they even put him in the fucking intro looking cool as fuck then? No one gives a shit about Freeza...And there has to be somebody in the age demographic who agrees with me right? Because I'm holding back a rant, and the only reason I'm holding is because I just turned 29 and there are more important things to be mad about COUGHNETNEUTRALITYCOUGH then this cartoon where you can't pay Toei enough to leave things be and let the fat genie fight. This had to have been their idea.

MainJPW
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by MainJPW » Mon May 08, 2017 1:56 am

I actually don't mind, I wish it were Cell though.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Mon May 08, 2017 2:10 am

It literally sounds like bad fanfiction. After the tournament ends, what happens to Freeza? He's not going to willingly go back to his cocoon in Hell.

So either they have to kill him again or he escapes and comes back for a later arc. Either way it opens too many plotholes of Goku working with someone who killed his best friend before his eyes.

SansrivaaL
I Live Here

Post by SansrivaaL » Mon May 08, 2017 2:11 am

Loved it! the character interactions it would bring and potential threat inside their team.... its all too good to be true, tho I hope it wasnt Boo that got replaced, Tien would have been better.

kidhero1000
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by kidhero1000 » Mon May 08, 2017 2:24 am

I never asked for this, nor do I want this at all. What I do want to know is which one of the three Ts is responsible for this idea so they can get a boot up their ass? :think:
He devolved into saying only one word. Time to hit the ol' cosmic trail.

EXBadguy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by EXBadguy » Mon May 08, 2017 2:26 am

:x Man, fuck Frieza! What about Cell, Tao, or better...Master Shen? There are so many other characters to revive and they had to choose the most redundant villain? If this is true, then this show's dead to me!

Guess Super and Z got one thing in common is that the last saga is always the dumbest (Z being the Buu saga). Of course we don't know if ToP will be the last one, but it sure as hell sounds like it.
Akira Toriyama wrote:If anyone. ANYONE AT TOEI! Makes a movie about old and weak major villains returning, or making recolored versions of Super Saiyan, I'ma come to yo company and evict you from doing Dragon Ball ever again! Only I do those things, because people love me, and they despise you....derp!
Marco Polo wrote:Goku Black is a fan of DBZ who hates Super and has taken the form of a younger Goku (thinner shape, softer hair) to avenge the original series by destroying the new.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Mon May 08, 2017 2:34 am

Watch, they're going to have Goku cheer Freeza on and laugh and try to joke with him.

If you thought Goku was out of character in Super before, you ain't seen nothing yet.

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Post by Lord Frieza » Mon May 08, 2017 2:36 am

You know I just realized Cell and Yamcha have been brought together a lot lately.

Dose that mean that people are subconsciously coming to terms with the fact that, since virtually every other relevant dragon ball antagonist (Piccolo, Vegeta, Buu, Frieza and even #17) is now way stronger then him, Cell is now the Yamcha of the cannon villains?

EXBadguy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by EXBadguy » Mon May 08, 2017 2:40 am

precita wrote:
If you thought Goku was out of character in Super before, you ain't seen nothing yet.
Yep, they gone fuck him up. I can't believe I'm saying this, but I miss the Toei Goku.
Akira Toriyama wrote:If anyone. ANYONE AT TOEI! Makes a movie about old and weak major villains returning, or making recolored versions of Super Saiyan, I'ma come to yo company and evict you from doing Dragon Ball ever again! Only I do those things, because people love me, and they despise you....derp!
Marco Polo wrote:Goku Black is a fan of DBZ who hates Super and has taken the form of a younger Goku (thinner shape, softer hair) to avenge the original series by destroying the new.

Kishido
Banned

Post by Kishido » Mon May 08, 2017 2:53 am

This is even worse as Future Trunks asspulls

Overlord78
Beyond Newbie

Post by Overlord78 » Mon May 08, 2017 2:54 am

precita wrote:Watch, they're going to have Goku cheer Freeza on and laugh and try to joke with him.

That makes me sick just thinking about it. Talk about character assassination if that ends up happening.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Mon May 08, 2017 2:57 am

It's like, really ? What's even the point ? This feels like bad fan-fiction, but hopefully they can pull it off.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Simere
Advanced Regular

Post by Simere » Mon May 08, 2017 3:15 am

Overlord78 wrote:
precita wrote:Watch, they're going to have Goku cheer Freeza on and laugh and try to joke with him.

That makes me sick just thinking about it. Talk about character assassination if that ends up happening.
I mean...would that really be OOC for Goku? If Freeza's willing to play ball and mellow out a little bit, it wouldn't sound like Goku to me to still be resentful.

SSJ YUSUKE
Beyond Newbie

Post by SSJ YUSUKE » Mon May 08, 2017 3:41 am

Freeza does not work well as a hero or ally best way to use him would be if he is a antagonist for the Universe 6 sayians to defeat

Arg
Beyond Newbie

Post by Arg » Mon May 08, 2017 4:17 am

Unfortunately it makes sense that one of the big guns would miss out on the tournament, that is why freeza, a powerhouse, is a last minute recruitment instead of yamcha. Unfortunately that shaf falls on buu yet again. It would be even more shocking if it was vegeta, piccolo, gohan, 17. The only solution would have been a 11 man rule from the start. Too bad for buu and the buu fans, as for freeza, a welcome return at any time as long as they don't domesticate him.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Mon May 08, 2017 4:40 am

Freeza VS at least one female Broly... one faction of the fandom just built a new sperm bank...

In all seriousness, I didn't like the idea of continuing Future Trunk's story, but the Zamasu Saga turned out pretty well.. asspulls aside. That being said, while Plan to Eradicate the Saiyans, the Afterworld Tournament filler saga, and DBGT stretched the idea of Freeza being a team player, at least those instances were with other villians. I can't see Freeza willingly working with Goku and company. In fact I second the whole "I'd rather be completely erased then go to that literally damned cocoon of diabetes!" motion that precita mentioned. The revival of Broly in Toyble's DBAF seemed utterly sane in comparison. At least then even Pan and Bra could contain him.

If Freeza had any chance of redemption...any at all, it was when Goku offered to spare him back on Namek after soundly defeating him. That time has long passed.

I just hope the fact that Freeza doesn't appear at all in the opening means this is just a bad rumor...but if its true, than at the very least I can't wait to see TFS mock the crap out of it.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Post by MajinMan » Mon May 08, 2017 5:36 am

Freeza coming back isn't the bad part. It's the way Buu was handled. I appreciate the fact that he got a great fight in the exhibition match and was contempt if that was all he was going to get, but the way they wrote him out the actual tournament is extremely lazy and annoying. "Buu fell asleep again." Wow. This is just like the "oops, Goku forget a very important item" plot device in the Future Trunks arc. I really want them to do something unpredictable with Freeza because if they decide to go the generic backstab route, it won't be nearly as interesting.
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Mon May 08, 2017 5:55 am

It makes practical sense to me but what in the tits is the Boo the one who has to go? Seriously, if we're suddenly gonna be about practicality, Freeza, Goten and Trunks should by default knock out Tien, Krillin and Roshi from the roster.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):