How would you guys feel if the tournament of power became annually?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Xeztin
I Live Here

How would you guys feel if the tournament of power became annually?

Post by Xeztin » Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:17 pm

Basically Goku and cast have out grown Earth's world tournaments. How would you feel if Zen-Oh loved the touney of power so much he had it every so many years? It'd make tournaments with our cast fun again thats for sure.

precita
Banned

Re: How would you guys feel if the tournament of power became annually?

Post by precita » Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:18 pm

Given they purposely held back 4 universes from competing this time, I say there's bound to be another tournament.

Also now Goku training Uub at the end of DBZ makes sense. Now it's obvious Goku is training Uub for the next tournament and to have another strong U7 fighter.

Xeztin
I Live Here

Post by Xeztin » Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:20 pm

precita wrote:Given they purposely held back 4 universes from competing this time, I say there's bound to be another tournament.

Also now Goku training Uub at the end of DBZ makes sense. Now it's obvious Goku is training Uub for the next tournament and to have another strong U7 fighter.
That'd be great, I mean Dragon Ball is known for having tourneys every so many arcs. Now that we've had this Tourney of Power a one on one universe or Earth Tournament would be stale. New fighters would come and i think this is how Goku will convince Zen-oh not to destroy any universes by saying there could be more. We have 4 universes left but all universes could bring different fighters to the mix every year or so. Plenty of time to recruit.
Last edited by Xeztin on Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

omaro34
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omaro34 » Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:21 pm

Nah, it would lose its flare and hype if that happens.
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

Slaythe
Beyond Newbie

Post by Slaythe » Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:26 pm

Please no.

Certainly not. Not with this level of production and pacing.

Or if anything, if they really want to, save that for a movie plot.

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:30 pm

The Tournament of Power and what it entails doesn't seem like an element that should be abused continuously. Battle royales that emphasise teamwork are fine and all, but if the recent episodes are anything to go by, we know the diligence in trying to reinforce the significance and quality of teamwork in an "every universe for themselves" setting will still retain the old familiar trappings of vanilla Dragon Ball.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:32 pm

Slaythe wrote:Please no.

We've had 1 episode for the actual tournament so far and you're acting like this is the worst thing ever.

Jigurashi
Advanced Regular

Post by Jigurashi » Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:32 am

precita wrote:
Slaythe wrote:Please no.

We've had 1 episode for the actual tournament so far and you're acting like this is the worst thing ever.
I don't think he's really saying that. I think it's more so that the level of effort needed to maintain a steady balance of the production, budget and pacing could very well make it fail hard as the animators already seem to have enough as is dealing with this one.

Not to mention I'll add on that I feel having more ToP's would definitely make it lose its luster. I feel like this tournament will end up being decent-ok at worst and amazing at best. I don't think another ToP will even be needed at this point, heck I don't think another tournament of this magnitude ever needs to take place in DB ever again. But that's just me.

Boo Machine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Boo Machine » Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:59 am

Wouldn't really be into it. Especially if it's going to be a battle royal everytime. Too much chaos.

MAYBE if they can make it like an average tournament with brackets and an interesting ring setting.
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:09 am

On the conceptual level, this type of competition can't work more than once without stooping to the territory of shameless redundancy. I'm sure more tournaments are possible, though I doubt they'll be able to carry a whole arc, but another like this can't work.
Retired.

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:27 am

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:On the conceptual level, this type of competition can't work more than once without stooping to the territory of shameless redundancy. I'm sure more tournaments are possible, though I doubt they'll be able to carry a whole arc, but another like this can't work.
Exactly. It would be like...been there done that. It would only work if Zeno did it very spaced out so the fighters were constantly different.
Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:28 am

I would hate that idea. This sort of tournament should be just a one-time thing, especially given how high the stakes are.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:12 am

We're more than likely going to get another one between u7 and the other 4 stronger ones to decide who's the strongest but after that I'm not sure there'll be a point to one. I guess there could be a hidden universe they could go up to.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:16 pm

I can't believe people seriously think there won't be at least one more tournament for the entire duration of Super. We had 4 universes purposely held back.

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:25 pm

Stuff having no permanent solution I am not fond of in shows, a recurring threat gets old, same will happen if TOP is done annually
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

Jigurashi
Advanced Regular

Post by Jigurashi » Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:26 pm

precita wrote:I can't believe people seriously think there won't be at least one more tournament for the entire duration of Super. We had 4 universes purposely held back.
It didn't really seem like people don't think it. People just feel (myself included) that the luster of a tournament of this magnitude would be gone if it was repeated.

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:34 pm

We've had enough tournaments already. It's cool to people from other Universes but I would much prefer to see them and their Universes. Besides the stakes wouldn't really be same, would they? If they did, why should we care if it's nothing more than a repeat.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:43 pm

precita wrote:I can't believe people seriously think there won't be at least one more tournament for the entire duration of Super. We had 4 universes purposely held back.
Why does that necessarily imply a tournament? It's more likely the case to keep character designs down, as well as to establish the higher-quality universes for possible future stories.
Retired.

Zagacious
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Zagacious » Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:40 pm

I have strong feeling it will become regular after the ToP is over, not annually necessarily but regularly. That doesn't mean they're going to show it in actual episodes, they're just going to announce that they will start holding them.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:40 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
Why does that necessarily imply a tournament? It's more likely the case to keep character designs down, as well as to establish the higher-quality universes for possible future stories.
And Goku will likely want to challenge them. The original Dragonball had 3 tournaments, I'm betting Super will as well.

And as I said before, now Goku training Uub at the end of DBZ makes sense. Uub being trained for another tournament as a U7 fight fits his role.