Will the order of eliminations in the tournament be the final straw that breaks the camels back?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

precita
Banned

Will the order of eliminations in the tournament be the final straw that breaks the camels back?

Post by precita » Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:00 pm

In the west we have a saying, "The last straw that breaks the camels back."

For those unfamiliar with the phrase here is some info:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_tha ... l%27s_back

https://www.merriam-webster.com/diction ... l's%20back

After all the recruitment episodes foreshadowing and build-up of teamwork and tactics seem to be amounting to nothing in the tournament, and the order of popular characters we wanted to see fight again be eliminated quickly, is this going to be the last straw that breaks the camels back for people?

This tournament HAD to be good. The build-up to it was insane and they were bringing back the entire older cast so it wasn't just the Goku/Vegeta show. Is the order of your favored characters being eliminated going to be the final straw that breaks the camels back?

TheOne
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Will the order of eliminations in the tournament be the final straw that breaks the camels back?

Post by TheOne » Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:14 pm

I feel like you're jumping to conclusions..

Goku didn't seek out U9, They came to him. Their plan was to get revenge on him. Bergamo even told us that during the exhibition match that he will be targeted. Vegeta will most likely provide Goku some backup. Which is still teamwork.

Krillin gets annihilated boo hoo. Based off of what we saw, he was essentially sacrificing himself to save his spouse who ran off on her own. Krillin, Gohan, Roshi, Tien and Piccolo were all relying on team work for their fights as you saw last episode.

There is teamwork happening here. It's just that you're not getting all these combination attacks you thought you'd get. Also, we don't know what's going to happen these next couple episodes before Krillin is disqualified. They might have some pretty epic moments approaching. Literally only one minute has passed since the tournament started and now you're complaining about no teamwork is happening.
How i predict the tournament will end:

precita
Banned

Re: Will the order of eliminations in the tournament be the final straw that breaks the camels back?

Post by precita » Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:16 pm

They gave Krillin a lot of build-up entering this tournament, moreso than people like Tenshinhan or even Vegeta, that it feels odd as hell they're kicking Krillin out so fast. There's no reason he couldn't have lasted a little longer even if the way he's disqualified happened the same way. We haven't seen Krillin fight in Super since taking out Freeza's henchmen. It's disappointing.

Boo Machine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Boo Machine » Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:17 pm

precita wrote:In the west we have a saying, "The last straw that breaks the camels back."
Yes, we know, it gets used every time there is a new plot point.

I don't see why the order matters. Hypothetically...

If Krillin gets an amazing showing, puts all his tactics and tricks to the test, really hands it to some opponents, even manages to take out a couple of fighters, but gets eliminated first, while, say, piccolo hangs back ,gets one punch in, takes out no one, then gets thrown out of the ring but is the 2nd to last, Which one was the better?

It's not the order they get eliminated that should matter it's how they perform before they get eliminated. There is no real value in being one of the last ones out if they did nothing. Not unless you just want to be the person who uses the order to validate your hate or love for a certain character.
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:19 pm

The only thing which will trigger me is Caulifla turning Blue, which I don't see happening anyway. She's just jelly about Goku's form, doesn't mean she can turn into that immediately.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:24 pm

Xeogran wrote:The only thing which will trigger me is Caulifla turning Blue, which I don't see happening anyway. She's just jelly about Goku's form, doesn't mean she can turn into that immediately.
After Caulifa went Super Saiyan and Super Saiyan 2 in a matter of minutes, her getting Blue seems more likely than not.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:25 pm

precita wrote:
Xeogran wrote:The only thing which will trigger me is Caulifla turning Blue, which I don't see happening anyway. She's just jelly about Goku's form, doesn't mean she can turn into that immediately.
After Caulifa went Super Saiyan and Super Saiyan 2 in a matter of minutes, her getting Blue seems more likely than not.
These were atleast achievable without the Gods/Angels guidance.

Big Black Sayian
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Big Black Sayian » Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:45 pm

I'm expecting Goku, Vegeta, and Gohan to be the latest remaining fighters. Guess we'll see

Krillin1994
Regular

Post by Krillin1994 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:31 pm

Just wait until Roshi is the one to defeat Jiren then the camel's back will be broken....

it could actually happen, Seeing that krillin got DQ'ed for killing an opponent Roshi jumps in front of a blast from Jiren to make him DQ himself.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:46 pm

I've got two big straws; but they're kind of detailed.

1) The straw is an entire cast reboot; everyone is gone, entirely new cast set whenever in the future.

2) Is what I hesitantly (because I've never actually watched the spin-off) call the Boruto straw. The straw where Vegeta gets regulated to retired, unmotivated, uninteresting family figure (with or without "moostache") and Gokû gets regulated to being the teacher of the "new" main character, be it Uub, or Pan, or Caulifla and a bunch of Uni 6 saiyans.

So I guess no, the order of eliminations won't be my final straw. I'm most invested on seeing how much permanence the repercussions of this tournament will have. Is this going to be an ending with no repercussions like the Resurrection F arc? Is this going to be an ending with major repercussions like the Zamasu arc? Somewhere in-between? That's the plot-related driving force that's keeping me watching.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:54 pm

I've survived the inundation of Saiyan paramountcy throughout Super and the relatively brief performance of Piccolo in the U6 tournament. Order of eliminations in this one won't break the camel's back, for me. Someone else phrased it in a meaningfully sensible way -- it's not the duration a fighter stays in the ring but the consequences their actions bring for the outcome. So if Krillin is able to contribute a good amount then I will be satisfied. I can't lie that I would have been very pleasantly surprised to watch the writers pull an unexpected development in someone like Vegeta being knocked out, but I can still hope that some other non-Saiyan like Freeza will prevail longer than he does.

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:04 pm

Krillin1994 wrote:Just wait until Roshi is the one to defeat Jiren then the camel's back will be broken....

it could actually happen, Seeing that krillin got DQ'ed for killing an opponent Roshi jumps in front of a blast from Jiren to make him DQ himself.
I've actually been wondering if Gohan (my least favorite character) wont win this way. Goku goes down and knowing he cant beat Jiren he lowers his Ki all the way down to take a shot.

Roshi would just have to jump in front youre right lol
Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"

omaro34
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omaro34 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:05 pm

Lionel wrote:I've survived the inundation of Saiyan paramountcy throughout Super and the relatively brief performance of Piccolo in the U6 tournament. Order of eliminations in this one won't break the camel's back, for me. Someone else phrased it in a meaningfully sensible way -- it's not the duration a fighter stays in the ring but the consequences their actions bring for the outcome. So if Krillin is able to contribute a good amount then I will be satisfied. I can't lie that I would have been very pleasantly surprised to watch the writers pull an unexpected development in someone like Vegeta being knocked out, but I can still hope that some other non-Saiyan like Freeza will prevail longer than he does.
I respect what you have to say, I share many opinions that you have. Where does your dislike for the Saiyans stem from?
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:55 pm

The gravitational shift towards their power and presence alone being the determinant for the narrative. This constant overemphasis of their power meaning the difference between success and failure. Zamasu perfectly epitomised this notion -- he was galvanised into executing his genocidal agenda due to this power. He based the success of his operation on the very power he resented. Yes, the reasons provided exclusively in the anime concerning his sense of self-sacrifice and purification of the natural order are all very flowery, but fundamentally it's all the same with everyone, even the villains, needing to suckle on the teat of alien primatial might if they want a chance of legitimacy. No limits appear to exist for them either. It's transformation, after transformation, after transformation, after transformation. I lost whatever giddiness I may have initially felt sometime back during the Buu arc. When I see the promotion imagery of this new unknown form, I just feel hollow because it does nothing except add yet add another layer onto the already bloated pile of Saiyan transformations.

There's nothing about the Saiyans that begets to any admirable status of underdoghood that I, personally, might feel inclined to support -- not with the right tools and advantages afforded to them. The real rags to riches stories lie in those like Krillin and Yamcha who were created on a relatively backwater planet with substandard technology, fighting conditions, and prospects. They ended up becoming some of the most powerful fighters in their universe. Sure, Goku has toiled vigourously to get where he's at, but it can't be denied that he's had the luxury of being able to exploit physiologically unique traits like zenkais and a seemingly unending supply of transformations. I mean jeeze! Where's Zarbon's reptile monster form level 2 or reptile monster god form?

I wouldn't really mind it as much if the writers were more considerate and dutiful towards the other cast members. There's plenty of methods they could use to regain their viability and, as a result, break the endless monotony of everyone's favourite Saiyan duo monopolising the show. The tournament has a chance of breaking that cycle through the other characters, I'll grant, but they're presented as adversarially factionalised outsiders seeking to do in the Z-fighters. We're not holding the likes of Krillin or Tenshinhan or Piccolo to the same standards as any Saiyan or even Freeza because they just don't meet the same centralised characterisation that those three have had or are expected to retain. Plus, whatever contributions they do make will likely be eclipsed by the Saiyans (the Frost battle in the U6 tournament arc comes to mind). So because of that, I'm just going to appreciate what they do have while admittedly not having much satisfaction in what the Saiyans do. I take greater enjoyment in Goku harnessing the Kaioken because it's a generally learned technique that he acquired through regular talent and discipline instead of having the right genes. It also has some consequential drawbacks which make for more interesting fights.
Last edited by Lionel on Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:37 pm

GodKaio-Ken wrote:
Krillin1994 wrote:Just wait until Roshi is the one to defeat Jiren then the camel's back will be broken....

I've actually been wondering if Gohan (my least favorite character) wont win this way. Goku goes down and knowing he cant beat Jiren he lowers his Ki all the way down to take a shot.

What makes Gohan your least favorite character?

GreatSaiyaJeff
Regular

Post by GreatSaiyaJeff » Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:49 pm

If he does sacrifice his qualification to save 18, then that admirable. Krillin does fight to protect others, not just for enjoyment like Goku.
"I just realized something. Honestly... it kinda doesn't matter where I go... whether I'm alive or dead... I'm still pretty dandy." - Space Dandy

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:55 pm

precita wrote:Is the order of your favored characters being eliminated going to be the final straw that breaks the camels back?
In what regard? In the now comically proverbial "if X happens, then I'm really dropping Super this time!" sort of way?

Nah, not really.
Last edited by Zephyr on Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Simere
Advanced Regular

Post by Simere » Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:55 pm

Boo Machine wrote:
precita wrote:In the west we have a saying, "The last straw that breaks the camels back."
Yes, we know, it gets used every time there is a new plot point.
Used him by. I've seen him say it half a dozen times. He needs to make an exhausted camel his avatar.

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:00 pm

precita wrote:
GodKaio-Ken wrote:

What makes Gohan your least favorite character?
I've just always disliked him since he was a child. There is no real reason honestly....I just never liked his character from the start. Not to be too off topic.
Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"

MagmonKai
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MagmonKai » Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:54 pm

I honestly want Goku and Gohan to be the last two remaining. It would be good for the series.