People are getting tired of Goku and here is why

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TekTheNinja
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: People are getting tired of Goku and here is why

Post by TekTheNinja » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:56 pm

ABED wrote:
It's about fighting seriously so yourself and your loved ones can survive. That's something Goku ALWAYS fought for.
He also would draw things out to get a better fight regardless. Hell, he wouldn't accept help in the fight against Piccolo Jr. because the title was more important to him.
All that was at stake at the time was Goku's own life, which he could get back with the dragon balls. If Goku loses the tournament of power then poof. Everything he's ever known vanishes in an instant. Remember how pissed he was when he learned Black killed an ALTERNATE version of Chi-Chi and Goten? Right now his own versions of them are at stakes and he doesn't give a shit.
When Goku actually gives at least half a shit
He does care, but more about the fight than the world. That's who he is.[/quote] Goku cares about both the fight AND the world, and he does in Battle of Gods. He's gleefully enjoying himself fighting a god of destruction, yet he's also yelling at him to stop carelessly destroying innocent people. THIS IS GOKU.
They weren't so simple that there was literally no need for anyone besides the strongest fighters to be there.
That's basically the case in the Buu and Cell arc.[/quote]
Well for Cell arc, lots of characters have interesting and fan-favorite moments there, so: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEZgJyTzqPg
And for Buu arc, meh. It's my least favorite DBZ arc, and definitely does have that problem, but it still has a few neat things that aren't just Goku time or Gohan time. There's a lot of length to it, which lends to more time to actually flesh out other characters for one. This is why Super needs either longer arcs or better time management with the current length. Instead of adding pointless padding fight scenes before the actually good fights, do something to characterize and such.

Besides, even if a past arc has a problem, you're supposed to learn from your mistakes, not bring them back, but ten times worse.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:01 pm

yet he's also yelling at him to stop carelessly destroying innocent people. THIS IS GOKU.
Goku's a ball of contradictions. He cares about innocents, but that doesn't stop him from constantly putting them in danger, like when he let Dr. Gero complete the cyborgs, let Piccolo and Vegeta go, and try to let Freeza go.
There's a lot of length to it, which lends to more time to actually flesh out other characters for one.
You don't need 80 episodes to flesh out characters. DB did a great job of it with far shorter story arcs.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

TekTheNinja
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by TekTheNinja » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:30 am

ABED wrote:
There's a lot of length to it, which lends to more time to actually flesh out other characters for one.
You don't need 80 episodes to flesh out characters. DB did a great job of it with far shorter story arcs.
I don't disagree at all. You left out the part where I said Super could do with either longer arcs, OR better time management to flesh out characters. :thumbup:

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:59 am

TekTheNinja wrote:
ABED wrote:
I don't disagree at all. You left out the part where I said Super could do with either longer arcs, OR better time management to flesh out characters. :thumbup:
The answer is the latter.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

King-K9
Not-So-Newbie

Post by King-K9 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:32 pm

This is the only series that I know where the main character gets bashed for simply being the main character.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:41 pm

King-K9 wrote:This is the only series that I know where the main character gets bashed for simply being the main character.
This is the second time someone makes this kind of comment and even before the first one multiple people explained why they are "tired of" Goku, myself included. Please drop the sarcasm or whatever was your intention with this comment. There are reasonable explanations for this matter.

Again, being the main character doesn't mean he has to appear everywhere at any time, so Goku being "bashed" is understandable.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:56 pm

Except I don't think their reasons are up to snuff. DBZ didn't focus more on its supporting cast. The main character getting the lion's share of the focus is not a rarity. K9's comment wasn't sarcasm. It was a comment I share. I don't get it, either. It's like complaining that Batman is in nearly every scene of his own series.

LowRyder2005
Advanced Regular

Post by LowRyder2005 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:09 pm

ABED wrote:Except I don't think their reasons are up to snuff. DBZ didn't focus more on its supporting cast. The main character getting the lion's share of the focus is not a rarity. K9's comment wasn't sarcasm. It was a comment I share. I don't get it, either. It's like complaining that Batman is in nearly every scene of his own series.
This is quite the bold claim. I personally believe this part to be completely false; still, it's absolutely debatable to say the least.

Even if we wanted to limit ourselves to actual screen time and not relevance to advancements of the plot, I think that if someone bothered to create a graph of everyone's screen time, I'm fairly sure you'd get the "Goku" value overshadowing everyone in Super by a much more drastic value than what it did in Z.

Regarding the comment, this is not a matter of agreeing with it or not; similar responses simply do not add anything meaningful to the discussion regardless of how candid they may be and at worst they can (and will) be seen as snarky, ad ridiculum remarks. At best, it could only be justified since the same goes for the equally snarky incipit of the entire thread.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:17 pm

LowRyder2005 wrote:
ABED wrote:Except I don't think their reasons are up to snuff. DBZ didn't focus more on its supporting cast. The main character getting the lion's share of the focus is not a rarity. K9's comment wasn't sarcasm. It was a comment I share. I don't get it, either. It's like complaining that Batman is in nearly every scene of his own series.
This is quite the bold claim. I personally believe this part to be completely false; still, it's absolutely debatable to say the least.

Even if we wanted to limit ourselves to actual screen time and not relevance to advancements of the plot, I think that if someone bothered to create a graph of everyone's screen time, I'm fairly sure you'd get the "Goku" value overshadowing everyone in Super by a much more drastic value than what it did in Z.

Regarding the comment, this is not a matter of agreeing with it or not; similar responses simply do not add anything meaningful to the discussion regardless of how candid they may be and at worst they can (and will) be seen as snarky, ad ridiculum remarks. At best, it could only be justified since the same goes for the equally snarky incipit of the entire thread.
I'm not talking about sheer screen time because it's true that Goku was sidelined much of that time. It's also an unfair comparison because DBZ is much longer. Even when he wasn't on screen, people were often either talking about him or waiting for him. I don't think it's bold at all. It's more than fair to say so. Up for debate? Sure, but still a fair statement. I would say the big difference between DB and DBZ is that in DBZ, Toriyama begins taking Goku out early to create more drama. He overuses the trope of taking out the big gun early. I would still argue that he's the main character and it doesn't become an ensemble story.

That comment wasn't snarky. It's a fair comment. What other show can you think of where people complain this much about the main character getting so much screen time in their own show? The way they word it makes it sound like it's unusual or that Goku takes away screen time from their characters because he's a diva.

LowRyder2005
Advanced Regular

Post by LowRyder2005 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:47 pm

ABED wrote:
LowRyder2005 wrote:

I'm not talking about sheer screen time because it's true that Goku was sidelined much of that time. It's also an unfair comparison because DBZ is much longer. Even when he wasn't on screen, people were often either talking about him or waiting for him. I don't think it's bold at all. It's more than fair to say so. Up for debate? Sure, but still a fair statement. I would say the big difference between DB and DBZ is that in DBZ, Toriyama begins taking Goku out early to create more drama. He overuses the trope of taking out the big gun early. I would still argue that he's the main character and it doesn't become an ensemble story.

That comment wasn't snarky. It's a fair comment. What other show can you think of where people complain this much about the main character getting so much screen time in their own show? The way they word it makes it sound like it's unusual or that Goku takes away screen time from their characters because he's a diva.
... It's an unfair comparison because Dragon Ball Z is longer? I'm sorry, but I do not see how it's supposed to be related. Did you mean to say that Super is unfinished?

"Dragon Ball" is definitely Goku's story, where Goku is always present and relevant, and much closer to Super's own way of handling things; "Z" *is* pretty much the closest thing to an ensemble cast, for the exact reason Goku is sidelined a lot of the time and if not for the supporting cast things would have immediately gone downhill -- regardless of them ultimately waiting for Goku hoping he would turn things in their favor. Goku isn't even the strongest for the sheer majority of the time, since at least half of the cast keeps one-upping each other every chapter or so, which is a pretty strong statement of how the original manga made at least some sort of effort at keeping some "variety" and pass the momentary "our only hope" baton to this or that character.

If not for Gohan & Co. vs. goons, the Saiyaman mini-arc and for the subversion of the current tournament, the supporting cast is pretty much irrelevant both formally (power-wise) and in contributing to the plot, all the moreso as there's nothing that usually keeps the powerhouses, Goku or Vegeta, away from whichever battle is taking place (be it Beerus, Freeza, Goku Black or Zamas; but even most of the lesser villains followed this rule).

And the comment wasn't snarky to you; to others it may very reasonably be (and in fact it was interpreted as such), and I'm pretty sure the moderators would normally invite the individual to substantiate the claim more constructively. If I added a "I think you're the only one in here who isn't realizing this", you'd probably think I'm being snide. There's simply a better way to express yourself while adding something meaningful of the discussion, instead of what most would take as a little provocation.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:19 pm

It's ALL Dragon Ball. Z gets close to an ensemble, but it's still the same story. Toriyama made no distinction. ANd it doesn't matter if Goku is the strongest most of the time. He's the protagonist of the story. Toriyama tried to shift the focus to Gohan but realized pretty soon that it wasn't working and brought it back to Goku.

I got that the comment might be seen as snarky to some, but I agreed with it, and don't think that's how he meant it. It might be a tad terse, but still true.

LowRyder2005
Advanced Regular

Post by LowRyder2005 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:35 pm

ABED wrote:It's ALL Dragon Ball. Z gets close to an ensemble, but it's still the same story. Toriyama made no distinction. ANd it doesn't matter if Goku is the strongest most of the time. He's the protagonist of the story. Toriyama tried to shift the focus to Gohan but realized pretty soon that it wasn't working and brought it back to Goku.

I got that the comment might be seen as snarky to some, but I agreed with it, and don't think that's how he meant it. It might be a tad terse, but still true.
I agree with all of this. It wasn't my intention to argue Goku shouldn't be the protagonist or that he shouldn't ultimately be "the focus" of the series in general terms, of course.

Jigurashi
Advanced Regular

Post by Jigurashi » Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:43 pm

I can perfectly see why people are having an issue with Goku being in every episode. He really doesn't need to be, at the same time, this just adds to the hate he gets this saga in general. It's a fair critique to not like having Goku around every episode, though I'd argue most of the hate he gets this saga is pretty unjustified or exaggerated to justify the hate.

Arugela
Beyond Newbie

Post by Arugela » Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:17 pm

They could lighten up by letting him get beat up more for the rest of the arc. Lets say he gets hit in the head a few times and starts having a hard time saying things straight. They are in a tough spot and tells Gohan and piccolo to use the Kamekapotomus*(Or is it makakapotomus?!). And piccolo just goes with it and says: Sure, I've been working out a new version of the technique where I use two hands...." And then both him and Gohan use the new attack, demonstrating they have been training the technique the whole time, and use it calling it the Kamakapotomus! They could make a quick scene out of it to be funny. Goku not purely winning more and struggling would lighten the whole mood up! >< Basically, they need to introduce way more struggle.

*Maybe it's a combination of the kamehamahe with his other attack and it speeds it up more or adds more power.
My fan art:
Brolly Gohan Fusion!: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=38826
Uubeerus fusion: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=39923
Dende theme: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=39750

Zenoh might be waygu/kobe Beef!?: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=40055
GT theory: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=40001