In the end, Master Roshi outperformed both Krillin and Tenshinhan, by a lot...

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Roronoa-pt
Beyond Newbie

Re: In the end, Master Roshi outperformed both Krillin and Tenshinhan, by a lot...

Post by Roronoa-pt » Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:52 am

TOP didn't gave us any real indications of which one is stronger, Kuririn or Ten, just added Roshi to the dispute of which is the strongest human fighter.

Altough I still believe Roshi is weaker than both of them. He's just smarter and did prepare for the tournament better than anyone else ( Piccolo & Gohan included ).

Basako
Advanced Regular

Re: In the end, Master Roshi outperformed both Krillin and Tenshinhan, by a lot...

Post by Basako » Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:36 am

Well, yes, but not that simple. The ingredients were there for everyone, Roshi just got more love in the writing. The ingredients were 70 fighters of all the wide of strength in a battle royale.

Roshi is a great character, he is probably in my top five since DB and he is one of the icons of the early series. I'm not surprised he is given this much.

Now, Tenshinhan not getting as much as others was predictable too, but this has been ridiculous. Come one, in the Cell and Boo arc he was brave and did fine, but that was just an enemy so over him in the power scale. Now they had all this fodders or even not fodders of all the scale to play with and the writers didn't give him a real fight. The Preecho five seconds and Hermila not a real one on one fight in the end. Maybe in the manga, because the anime has treated Ten like garbage.

Krilin got a bit better. You know, I don't ask that much, one or two real fights was enough. He fought Majora alone and Sosha with his wife. It could have been better too, maybe a real fight against Frost instead of what we had, but he had something.

Anyway, there is no doubt Roshi is stronger than before, but the events in Z have not been erased. Krilin and Tenshinhan have a history where they surpassed Roshi by far, I don't have enough to think he surpassed them back. As far as I know, both of them could have handled Caway and Ganos. Ten could have used the Mafuba against the witch too.
Heno heno kappa!

The_Destroyer
Regular

Post by The_Destroyer » Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:04 pm

Basako wrote: Ten could have used the Mafuba against the witch too.
He didn't have a jar with him though

MKCSTEALTH
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MKCSTEALTH » Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:01 pm

I don't necessarily think Roshi is the strongest human. Yes he's out performed the other pure humans (and yes I know Tien has the supposed alien lineage) but he nearly killed himself doing so. So yes he can bring out that strength but at way too high a cost.

To me it's kind of like Vegito in the manga. When he powered up against Zamasu, Supreme Kai said he might be stronger than Beerus, but then immediately afterwards they defused. Just because he has that power doesn't mean he can actually maintain it.

I think had Krillin not let his guard down he would've held his own for longer than Roshi did.

TekTheNinja
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by TekTheNinja » Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:03 am

It's true, and I don't like it. I mean I loved Roshi's episode, but the fact that the other humans weren't deemed worthy of an equal or greater showing is terrible, and left me in a bad mood.

And before anyone says "Oh it's just a show, there's something wrong with you for letting that affect you emotionally", or whatever, since I hear that shit often, I want to specify I'm not saying it sent me into a depression or anything. I'm just saying it made me grumpy for a bit. It's no different than people getting in a bad mood when their favorite sports team loses. Sorry for that tangent, but I just assume someone would have said something like that otherwise.

supercat

Post by supercat » Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:59 pm

Tien is trash. Even though he wasted a lot of screen time, at least he didn't partner up with Piccolo or have any real interaction with him. That would have been even worse.

Zamasu55

Post by Zamasu55 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:11 pm

In the end he's going to last only one episode more.

MisteryOne
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MisteryOne » Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:47 pm

The_Destroyer wrote:
Basako wrote: Ten could have used the Mafuba against the witch too.
He didn't have a jar with him though
Piccolo could create it, and I hope he does in the manga for Roshi. Kinda remains me of the saiyans being dumb enough in the anime to just bring the jar itself instead of using a capsule. The capsules and the ability to literally create things are too useful to be ignored (even trough they are not a really huge deal)

I am quite indifferent to Tien, but I think he was wasted too much. I hope the manga gives him a better treatment (or maybe an even worse one like Piccolo in the Champa arc...)
English is not my first language. Please excuse my gramatical mistakes.

Generico Garbagio
Beyond Newbie

Post by Generico Garbagio » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:48 pm

In the end, Master Roshi outperformed both Krillin and Tenshinhan, by a lot...
Tienshinhan, both in Krillin a lot and outperformed by Master Roshi, the end...*

Fixed that for you.

If you did read it please tell me how.

Akyon
Regular

Post by Akyon » Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:10 am

Generico Garbagio wrote: Fixed that for you.
I'm not sure you did. Grammatically I'm confused by what you're saying now.
Favourite User quote:
Vice wrote:"Look at all these characters getting some shine in the buildup for the tournament of power, maybe we'll get to see some other characters do some stuff instead of the same old shit."
1. Goku (Universe 7) has eliminated 6 competitor & Vegeta (Universe 7) has eliminated 6 competitors

"Fuck."

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:59 am

Master Roshi could probably beat Perfect Cell with 4 more months of training.

Generico Garbagio
Beyond Newbie

Post by Generico Garbagio » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:37 am

Akyon wrote:
Generico Garbagio wrote: Fixed that for you.
I'm not sure you did. Grammatically I'm confused by what you're saying now.
It's an anagram to make it sound sexual. I was feeling like doing anagrams yesterday. Oh well, you can just call it generic garbage, too. :)

If you did read it please tell me how.

saiyanprimalforce
Beyond Newbie

Post by saiyanprimalforce » Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:43 pm

Honestly, I don't put too much stock in either episode 105-106 because they feel like nothing but dreadful Z-style filler designed to pad out the core story unnecessarily.

Sure, Tenshinhan got eliminated, but you could literally whittle the entire episode down to Tien getting eliminated by a dirty trick and move on. Little need for the silly sniper concept, or Piccolo getting multiple arms blown off (doubt it will even be mentioned in terms of affecting his stamina)

Roshi in 105 was just too melodramatic for my taste, since again, it was basically a cop-out which will most likely be rendered redundant with the next episode with the confrontation with Frost (hitting his Ki limit with the Mafabu)
Official Discord Server: https://discord.gg/auNXDruqEb
Dragon Ball Z Kai: Ultimate International Edtion + Super: Ultra Instinct Cut http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... 07#p491107

Basako
Advanced Regular

Post by Basako » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:05 pm

saiyanprimalforce wrote: Roshi in 105 was just too melodramatic for my taste, since again, it was basically a cop-out which will most likely be rendered redundant with the next episode with the confrontation with Frost (hitting his Ki limit with the Mafabu)
I feel the exact same about this. Roshi's revival felt quite over dramatic for me too, with all that crying. I could have done with him being exhausted and that's it, but it was his episode, so whatever. But now that he is going to have the real deal with the second Mafuba, it feels redundant and unnecessary.
Heno heno kappa!

Animelover5487
Beyond Newbie

Post by Animelover5487 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:43 pm

Roshi's life risking Kamehameha was done beautifully. If anything this arc has been too humorous, I mean this is a tournament to decide the fate of most of the multiverse. There should be a lot more tears and none of this "derp derp I let my guard down", "derp derp DON'T ATTACK ME WHILE I AM TRANSFORMING magic girl powa", "derp derp you wunna hur why they call mai Doctor". The only problem I had with it is that Roshi should have actually died, it would have made this arc so much darker and it's not like they can't wish him back anyway at the end.

saiyanprimalforce
Beyond Newbie

Post by saiyanprimalforce » Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:20 pm

Basako wrote:
saiyanprimalforce wrote: Roshi in 105 was just too melodramatic for my taste, since again, it was basically a cop-out which will most likely be rendered redundant with the next episode with the confrontation with Frost (hitting his Ki limit with the Mafabu)
I feel the exact same about this. Roshi's revival felt quite over dramatic for me too, with all that crying. I could have done with him being exhausted and that's it, but it was his episode, so whatever. But now that he is going to have the real deal with the second Mafuba, it feels redundant and unnecessary.
The werid thing about it is how out-of-character it felt for Goku to suddenly get all sappy like that (just so cornball) even though it's really not out of character given their relationship. I guess it's just because the setup for the premise doesn't really work. The idea that Roshi is going to bite the dust to some no-name character with less than an episode of build-up is hardly dramatic flair from a storytelling standpoint because it winds up feeling so unearned, hence becoming melodrama.

The situation for the next episode concerning Frost and the Mafabu is interesting though. It seems clear that it fails, but we don't exactly know why yet. Though outside Frost being powerful enough to overthrow it (or so you would think), could the preview be hinting it has no effect on Frost because Frost isn't really evil to begin with? He's kind of a fraud not above doing underhanded things to benefit himself--but he's no Damiao, Zamasu, or Freeza, but it'd make sense for Roshi to assume it would work given he's U6's doppelgänger for Freeza, and I doubt Goku would have brushed him up on that matter.
Official Discord Server: https://discord.gg/auNXDruqEb
Dragon Ball Z Kai: Ultimate International Edtion + Super: Ultra Instinct Cut http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... 07#p491107

Animelover5487
Beyond Newbie

Post by Animelover5487 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:06 pm

saiyanprimalforce wrote:
Basako wrote:
The werid thing about it is how out-of-character it felt for Goku to suddenly get all sappy like that (just so cornball) even though it's really not out of character given their relationship. I guess it's just because the setup for the premise doesn't really work. The idea that Roshi is going to bite the dust to some no-name character with less than an episode of build-up is hardly dramatic flair from a storytelling standpoint because it winds up feeling so unearned, hence becoming melodrama.

The situation for the next episode concerning Frost and the Mafabu is interesting though. It seems clear that it fails, but we don't exactly know why yet. Though outside Frost being powerful enough to overthrow it (or so you would think), could the preview be hinting it has no effect on Frost because Frost isn't really evil to begin with? He's kind of a fraud not above doing underhanded things to benefit himself--but he's no Damiao, Zamasu, or Freeza, but it'd make sense for Roshi to assume it would work given he's U6's doppelgänger for Freeza, and I doubt Goku would have brushed him up on that matter.
It's never directly stated that the opponent has to be evil for the Mafuba to work. Decori for one didn't appear to be evil but it still worked on her. Regardless though, Frost is clearly evil so that wouldn't be that explanation. My guess is that Roshi doesn't have the stamina to pull off a successful Mafuba on an opponent as powerful as Frost or alternatively Frost may be able to turn it around on Roshi like Piccolo did to Kami at the 23rd Budokai.

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:51 pm

Animelover5487 wrote:
saiyanprimalforce wrote:
Basako wrote: I feel the exact same about this. Roshi's revival felt quite over dramatic for me too, with all that crying. I could have done with him being exhausted and that's it, but it was his episode, so whatever. But now that he is going to have the real deal with the second Mafuba, it feels redundant and unnecessary.

It's never directly stated that the opponent has to be evil for the Mafuba to work. Decori for one didn't appear to be evil but it still worked on her. Regardless though, Frost is clearly evil so that wouldn't be that explanation. My guess is that Roshi doesn't have the stamina to pull off a successful Mafuba on an opponent as powerful as Frost or alternatively Frost may be able to turn it around on Roshi like Piccolo did to Kami at the 23rd Budokai.
I'm guessing it's a classic case of technique mimicking. You know, how Tenshinhan was able to replicate the Kamehameha against Chun or Freeza replicating and improving upon Krillin's Kienzan after seeing it once. Frost may have observed the technique from the shadows and worked out how to replicate it.

larzooma
Beyond Newbie

Post by larzooma » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:03 pm

I think they gave Master Roshi a significant boost in power prior to the tournament, which helped him compete on his current level. In addition, he's a master martial artist, and possess a number of unique and useful techniques. He'a also one of the most experienced tournament fighters in the group.

In regards to Tien and Krillin, the former received a major helping of the Yamcha treatment, while the latter pretty much performed as expected. Prior to the pre-tournament and tournament episodes, I held a lot of respect for Tien, and considered him one of the best martial artists of the group. His limitations were a result of his species' limitations. In this arc, they made him seem like a moron. He consistently made rookie mistakes, and never really showcased his ability as a fighter. Krillin, on the other hand, entered the tournament with a new level of confidence, which helped him overcome his number one weakness of self doubt. Performing in the tournament without that weakness allowed him to take out some of the weaker fighters. His only issues came from over-focusing on his wife and letting his guard down.

I still think the order for humans goes Tien, Krillin, Master Roshi. Hopefully, Tien's gets a chance to redeem himself before the series ends.

Jigurashi
Advanced Regular

Post by Jigurashi » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:05 pm

larzooma wrote:I think they gave Master Roshi a significant boost in power prior to the tournament, which helped him compete on his current level. In addition, he's a master martial artist, and possess a number of unique and useful techniques. He'a also one of the most experienced tournament fighters in the group.

In regards to Tien and Krillin, the former received a major helping of the Yamcha treatment, while the latter pretty much performed as expected. Prior to the pre-tournament and tournament episodes, I held a lot of respect for Tien, and considered him one of the best martial artists of the group. His limitations were a result of his species' limitations. In this arc, they made him seem like a moron. He consistently made rookie mistakes, and never really showcased his ability as a fighter. Krillin, on the other hand, entered the tournament with a new level of confidence, which helped him overcome his number one weakness of self doubt. Performing in the tournament without that weakness allowed him to take out some of the weaker fighters. His only issues came from over-focusing on his wife and letting his guard down.

I still think the order for humans goes Tien, Krillin, Master Roshi.
Hopefully, Tien's gets a chance to redeem himself before the series ends.
But Kuririn has already been stated to be > Ten.