Muten Roshi great performance connected to Akira's feelings

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ssbgoku
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Muten Roshi great performance connected to Akira's feelings

Post by ssbgoku » Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:06 pm

Since the announcement of Muten Roshi particpating in Tournament of power I have been wondering why Mr. Toryiama decided to bring him back after so long having him pushed aside or haing not use of him anymore. Well It seems, Mr. Toryiama is really getting older and forcing theme senility can be superrior or beat youth... that is the only reason Roshi is back, because Toryiama is feeling more connections to Roshi then any other characters I guess...

Yeah actually it does make sense based on how back then he didn't care about old man whi was martial artist master. However reason for Muten Roshi being back may be deeper then it seems. I mean a lot of shounen type of manga/anime have been following different aproach to fighting then dragon ball did in past. What I mean is strategy, techniques and expierience playing important role in fighting, instead of overpowering your enemy with sheer strength and speed.

I admit that I didn't want Old man to replace any more powerfull character from u7 since the very begining of tournament. However Episode 105 really was greatly done and gave Muten Roshi's respect back showing how can be be usefull. However while I enjoyed greatly his episode for once, Now I am not happy seeing him keeping up in tournament even although he has little stamina left. I am afraid that if even Frost doesn't eliminate him then it will become ridiculous for him to stay when heavy hitters will go out. He would be fast dead or pretty badly beaten which is not good way. It would be better if writers focused more on human characters from the very begining of tournament slowly switching to stronger one for brief moments...

Lastly, Dragon ball super is going strong under label of "Z", however it seems author really wanted to bring back his begining of dragon ball into super, probably by nostalgia feelings while also having hope People will have also same nostalgia moments when Roshi is back and none will analyse it how did it happen(Roshi get much more powerfull), or why he is staying so long in tournament. Lastly mangaka retconning Roshi's power in 2015 year in one of interview, saying Roshi was always so strong(in Raditz arc too) makes me thing it really has important connection of age of mangaka.

Let's be honest Roshi shouldn't get into last 30, he is too weak and out of stamina, Discuss and tell me your thoughts
Last edited by ssbgoku on Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Boo Machine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Muten Roshi great performance connected to Akira's feelings

Post by Boo Machine » Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:28 pm

Why does Toriyama have to be senile for this to make sense in your head? No, that isn't the only reason he could possibly want Roshi in. Toriyama probably just likes Roshi and felt like writing a story where Roshi is involved. End of thought process.

What you or I think would make more sense doesn't matter. It's what whoever is writing the story thinks is the most interesting or coolest route to take. I wasn't expecting anything from Roshi either, but then we got episode 105 and now I'm glad I was wrong to worry. They could have made it so the "weak and frail old man" is one of the first to go, but I feel that would have gone down the path of "predictability" that some folk often complain about with Super. We actually got a surprise. Anyone remember being surprised and not everything having to fit into a tiny box?

If you don't like this path that they take, then that's all fine and dandy, friend, but that doesn't mean Toriyama's mental state is going to hell. You can just dislike something and nothing has to be wrong with anyone mentally. Because the claim of "Weak old man fighting again, must mean Toriyama is senile" is a HUGE leap to make and is down right insulting.
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:38 pm

I opened this thread hoping to get an opportunity to say that I really wish I could have heard Muten-Roshi's original Seiyuu perform in that episode a couple weeks back.

Instead, I guess the only thing I can really point out is that Toriyama may have had nothing to do with that episode, and just put Roshi in the tournament so he could make a few perverted quips at space ladies from other universes. 62 isn't exactly that old.

ssbgoku
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ssbgoku » Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:47 pm

Boo Machine wrote:Why does Toriyama have to be senile for this to make sense in your head? No, that isn't the only reason he could possibly want Roshi in. Toriyama probably just likes Roshi and felt like writing a story where Roshi is involved. End of thought process.

What you or I think would make more sense doesn't matter. It's what whoever is writing the story thinks is the most interesting or coolest route to take. I wasn't expecting anything from Roshi either, but then we got episode 105 and now I'm glad I was wrong to worry. They could have made it so the "weak and frail old man" is one of the first to go, but I feel that would have gone down the path of "predictability" that some folk often complain about with Super. We actually got a surprise. Anyone remember being surprised and not everything having to fit into a tiny box?

If you don't like this path that they take, then that's all fine and dandy, friend, but that doesn't mean Toriyama's mental state is going to hell. You can just dislike something and nothing has to be wrong with anyone mentally. Because the claim of "Weak old man fighting again, must mean Toriyama is senile" is a HUGE leap to make and is down right insulting.
Ok, I admit I have overacted in that case and took it to far with mu judgement. However I will stick to "being in different age influence how you are seeing World around you", which in that case means mangaka's age influences route story is taking, that how I see it at least. Thanks for contribution although.

Boo Machine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Boo Machine » Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:59 pm

ssbgoku wrote:
However I will stick to "being in different age influence how you are seeing World around you".
That I can agree with. It's not out of the ordinary for people to change their minds about certain things as they get older. And Toriyama is no stranger when it comes to changing things up on the fly. In the case of Roshi, he changed his mind about leaving him out of big story events. Though I suppose it's still up in the air about much he wanted from Roshi. Like Duo said, it might be that Roshi was brought back purely for comedic reasons.

It's possible the emotional stuff from 105 could just be from Toei.
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:07 pm

I just tell myself that its because he never really got to have one last moment through Z and wont won't have chances going forwards.

Same with Tien and Krillin though Roshi has gotten better treatment
Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:47 pm

It does make it look bizarre in retrospect that Roshi didn't bother training for the Saiyans like all the other humans did. At the time we didn't think of it because Roshi was retired and so weak, but it would have been interesting to see even if he just died against Nappa like everyone else.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:14 am

My retrospect of Roshi's performance and insertion back into the main fold of the plot, in arguably the highest stakes arc in-universe in Dragon Ball's main story, is similar to that of Duo... he was brought back for old man shenanigans and pervert humor because Toriyama at heart is a gag artist and still gets a major kick out of that shit.

Whatever
Regular

Post by Whatever » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:00 am

Once again you don't seem to know what senility is,not all old people are senile.

Just because someone is old that does not mean he is senile,senility is a disease,so you pretty much insult whoever you call senile if he does not have it.
So not only your point falls apart but your are pretty much insulting Toriyama just because he used a character you don't like.

JazzHands

Post by JazzHands » Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:38 am

I agree with TC. Its a shamed he was attacked. This is clearly a favoritism write in. No logic. How is Roshi going to [spoiler]almost die twice. still survive and by the special still in the ring?[/spoiler]

Ranmaru Rei
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ranmaru Rei » Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:23 am

Muten Roshi perfomance was really great. I like it. Nostalgia and fan service for fans of original DB. All was done right.