DBS is awful

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SaiyanGod117
Advanced Regular

DBS is awful

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:41 pm

It won’t be getting better anytime soon, it’s been over 100 episodes now and there has still yet to be a good arc. And I doubt anything will change for the next 100 episodes unless Toei gets their shit together. Because as of right now, the only thing this show has going for it are the fights (which aren’t that good), the characters ( because of the allure they hold because of the past series; not Super since there written like shit majority of the time), and that’s it. The writing is shit, the plot is fan-fic garbage, which is embarrassing since the story aims low most of the time yet still fails. While the show's music score quality is wildly erratic it can sound good for one week and bad the next. In addition, to the animation and art being mediocre most of the time which in-turn the fights will be too and this is especially a big flaw. Since half of the Dragon Ball viewing pleasure and experience is the fights, it’s like watching Pacific Rim with cheap CGI. More ever all those problems are just the tip of the iceberg. All in all, DBS isn’t good or great by any stretch of imagination it’s downright repellent to a casual fan or hardcore Dragon Ball fan. At most you can the say this show is average or ok, there’s nothing stellar about it like some people of have saying, because objectively it’s not. Furthermore, I have to say the show is designed for two types of people. The first, Dragon Ball fans who will accept anything with the DB name and Akira Toriyama’s name on it, second nostalgic DB fans who long for more Dragon Ball.
Last edited by SaiyanGod117 on Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sintzu
Banned

Re: DBS is awful

Post by sintzu » Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:50 pm

I think awful is a bit of a strong word as it implies there's nothing good about it which isn't true but overall it's been very mixed which is something I hoped would've changed by this point.

If you've watched this long in hopes of it improving then you should just give up cause it won't, things have been the same since day 1 and will most likely continue to be this way till it ends. I think from a story standpoint things are worse now cause all we've gotten for the past 30+ episodes are recrutments and random fighters fighting each other.
Last edited by sintzu on Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:53 pm

SaiyanGod117 wrote:It won’t be getting better anytime soon, it’s been over 100 episodes now and there has still yet to be a good arc. And I doubt anything will change for the next 100 episodes unless Toei gets their shit together. Because as of right now, the only thing this show has going for it are the fights (which aren’t that good), the characters ( because of the allure they hold because of the past series; not Super since there written like shit majority of the time), and that’s it. The writing is shit, the plot is fan-fic garbage, which is embarrassing since the story aims low most of the time yet still fails. While the show's music score quality is wildly erratic it can sound good for one week and bad the next. In addition, to the animation and art being mediocre most of the time which in-turn the fights will be too and this is especially a big flaw. Since half of the Dragon Ball viewing pleasure and experience is the fights, it’s like watching Pacific Rim with cheap CGI. More ever all those problems are just the tip of the iceberg. All in all, DBS isn’t good or great by any stretch of imagination it’s downright repellent to a casual fan or hardcore Dragon Ball fan. At most you can the say this show is average or ok, there’s nothing stellar about it like some people of have saying, because objectively it’s not. Furthermore, I have to say the show is designed for two types of people. The first, Dragon Ball fans who will accept anything with the DB name and Akira Toriyama’s name on it, second nostalgic DB fans who long for more Dragon Ball.
I think your post is way to subjective and you don't give concrete examples of what is so bad. Everything in your post are your opinions.

I've been enjoying a lot of the show. Granted, I've been disappointed in this last arc but I totally digged the Goku black arc.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:56 pm

Dragon Ball Super obviously isn't the best thing the Dragon Ball franchise has, but I don't think "awful" fits here. Like you said, it can perfectly be an average/mediocre show.

It has potential but lacks daring, to get out of the comfort zone, in many occasions it brings more of the same instead of bringing something new. Still, Dragon Ball Super can be a good series to watch; even more if you don't worry about details or be too attached to the story.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:57 pm

sangofe wrote:I've been disappointed in this last arc but I totally digged the Goku black arc.
When that arc ended most agreed that it saved Super but 10 filler episodes, 20 build up episodes & 15 bare bones torunament episodes later and I think what good that arc did for Super has been completely overshadowed by the mediocrity in comparison we got after.

perucho1990
I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:02 pm

SaiyanGod117 wrote:It won’t be getting better anytime soon, it’s been over 100 episodes now and there has still yet to be a good arc. And I doubt anything will change for the next 100 episodes unless Toei gets their shit together. Because as of right now, the only thing this show has going for it are the fights (which aren’t that good), the characters ( because of the allure they hold because of the past series; not Super since there written like shit majority of the time), and that’s it. The writing is shit, the plot is fan-fic garbage, which is embarrassing since the story aims low most of the time yet still fails. While the show's music score quality is wildly erratic it can sound good for one week and bad the next. In addition, to the animation and art being mediocre most of the time which in-turn the fights will be too and this is especially a big flaw. Since half of the Dragon Ball viewing pleasure and experience is the fights, it’s like watching Pacific Rim with cheap CGI. More ever all those problems are just the tip of the iceberg. All in all, DBS isn’t good or great by any stretch of imagination it’s downright repellent to a casual fan or hardcore Dragon Ball fan. At most you can the say this show is average or ok, there’s nothing stellar about it like some people of have saying, because objectively it’s not. Furthermore, I have to say the show is designed for two types of people. The first, Dragon Ball fans who will accept anything with the DB name and Akira Toriyama’s name on it, second nostalgic DB fans who long for more Dragon Ball.
In other words, DBS isnt good because its not like Z(serious tone, SuperMan Goku, gore)?. Like most fans that hate DBS in YT, in the likes of King of Lighting, Hail Zeon, etc.

If you want the show to be like Z, just drop it for your own good tbh. Its never going to happen, their main demographic will always be kids.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:07 pm

I think the biggest issue with Super is Toriyama's involvment, when the original author who fans have wanted back for years decides to finally come back, there's going to be very high expectations and so far it seems like the BOG movie is the only thing that lived up to them. I'm not saying that everything he's done is bad as I love the manga and like RF but when there's high expectations then good products can be looked at the wrong way.
perucho1990 wrote:If you want the show to be like Z, just drop it for your own good tbh. Its never going to happen, their main demographic will always be kids.
Z was also for kids but unlike Super, Toriyama knew how to write for a wider audience which is something Super's staff fails at but thankfully the manga is living up to the original manga, both in tone and quality.

Yomi
Regular

Post by Yomi » Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:10 pm

Comments like these are so repetitive and over done; every youtube section for the past 2 years has the same people in the comments "listing" off everything that makes DBS bad/garbage and making assumptions about the type of people that enjoy it. I don't even know why people participate in the communities of shows they find awful.
Especially after so many episodes.
:clap:

perucho1990
I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:13 pm

sintzu wrote:I think the biggest issue with Super is Toriyama's involvment, when the original author who fans have wanted back for years decides to finally come back, there's going to be very high expectations and so far it seems like the BOG movie is the only thing that lived up to them. I'm not saying that everything he's done is bad as I love the manga and like RF but when there's high expectations then good products can be looked at the wrong way.

Z was also for kids but unlike Super, Toriyama knew how to write for a wider audience which is something Super's staff fails at but thankfully the manga is living up to the original manga, both in tone and quality.
Manga isnt that good, it tries to keep it simple but its kinda boring, like making Bermoud a generic antagonist. And fans hype the manga like its the 2nd coming of HxH :lol:

And Toyotaro mentioned countless of times that Toriyama supervises the anime, and even includes stuff from the manga, like bringing back SSJG to the ToP Arc, that was Toriyamas idea.

You could imply that Toriyama is out of touch.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:18 pm

That's nice so why are you still watching it if you hate it so much?

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:18 pm

perucho1990 wrote:
sintzu wrote:I think the biggest issue with Super is Toriyama's involvment, when the original author who fans have wanted back for years decides to finally come back, there's going to be very high expectations and so far it seems like the BOG movie is the only thing that lived up to them. I'm not saying that everything he's done is bad as I love the manga and like RF but when there's high expectations then good products can be looked at the wrong way.

Manga isnt that good, it tries to keep it simple but its kinda boring, like making Bermoud a generic antagonist. And fans hype the manga like its the 2nd coming of HxH :lol:

Toriyama is the problem, if he’s not fully involved or fully out of it, tends to turn into an awful mess.
And Toyotaro mentioned countless of times that Toriyama supervises the anime, and even includes stuff from the manga, like bringing back SSJG to the ToP Arc, that was Toriyamas idea.

Not sure why this didn’t appear but Toriyama is the problem, he needs to either be fully committed or completely out. Partial commitments to his stories do not turn out well.
Last edited by TheMikado on Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:21 pm

perucho1990 wrote: like bringing back SSJG to the ToP Arc, that was Toriyamas idea.
Whoa, whoa, whoa. When was it ever stated that Toriyama was the one who brought SSG back for that arc?
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:22 pm

perucho1990 wrote:Fans hype the manga like its the 2nd coming of HxH :lol:

Bringing back SSJG to the ToP Arc was Toriyamas idea.

We wouldn't have to do that if the real HXH came back. :cry:

Where was this ever said ? please, please don't spread rumors like this. You'd be surprised at how a simple comment like this could turn into a wide spread rumor. I can't wait to see the youtube videos, breaking!!!! Toriyama was the one who brought back SsjG in the anime!!!!!.

Some fans make it seem like Super from top to bottom is Toriyama's product like the original manga but that couldn't be further from the truth. All Toriyama does is provide very vague outlines based on what's required of him and even then the outline is changed when going into production for both the anime and manga.

SaiyanGod117
Advanced Regular

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:24 pm

perucho1990 wrote:
In other words, DBS isnt good because its not like Z(serious tone, SuperMan Goku, gore)?. Like most fans that hate DBS in YT, in the likes of King of Lighting, Hail Zeon, etc.
You mean people who aren’t DBS apologist, people who admit the fault of this haphazard produced show, people who want it to get better and aren’t nostalgic fiends.
If you want the show to be like Z, just drop it for your own good tbh. Its never going to happen, their main demographic will always be kids.
I don’t know even know how the hell you made that assessment, the reason DBS is shit because it’s written like shit, it looks like shit. And actually yes a serious tone would actually help inert show, when Dragon Ball was at its best, there were always stakes, the status quo was in constant fluctuation. Even though death itself, was quite meaningless in DB the story still took itself quite seriously and treated the audience with respect. The heroes were oftem struggle with the villains for the dragon's wish, or there was some other variables at play to spice things up. In addition, your point about DBS demographic is still utterly stupid since shit many kids show like Samurai Jack, Avatar, and even some Transformers shows are even aimed at kids stil are able to maintain a serious tone throughout the show, while also keeping a coherent plot. Though now it’s beceome increasingly apparent to me that show’s visual style, constant focus on twist, action, and melodrama make it clear to trying to invoke a cool flashiness factor instead of something of actual substance.
Last edited by SaiyanGod117 on Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:27 pm

SaiyanGod117 wrote:Your point about DBS demographic is still utterly stupid since shit many kids show like Samurai Jack, Avatar, and even some Transformers shows are even aimed at kids stil are able to maintain a serious tone throughout the show, while also keeping a coherent plot.
You don't have to look at other shows, the original story (DB&Z) was made for kids. I think the reason Super turned out this way is because of a lack of understanding for the source material on Toei's side.

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:28 pm

sintzu wrote:I think awful is a bit of a strong word as it implies there's nothing good about it which isn't true but overall it's been very mixed which is something I hoped would've changed by this point.

If you've watched this long in hopes of it improving then you should just give up cause it won't, things have been the same since day 1 and will most likely continue to be this way till it ends. I think from a story standpoint things are worse now cause all we've gotten for the past 30+ episodes are recrutments and random fighters fighting each other.
Super is one of those rare shows where the sum of its mediocre parts actually makes the entire product overall worse. I’ll give a good example, the reinclusion of of SSG in the ToP after spamming SSB is awfully executed.

It shows a total lack of planning and direction from where ever the direction is coming from.
When an idea is brought in it shows a poor execution of the idea or concept.
This concept feels awkward and after the thought.
Further the flanderization of the character further makes this feel off as you don’t feel the character isn’t even smart enough to retroactively realize all the times he should have been using it.
Further the fight it’s sequenced in, while average and not terrible by any means lacks the payoff for the absurd plot point of suddenly being back the poorly planned and executed form.

To in the end, you have something that conceptually falls flat and worse than the individual parts.

Other examples are the two female characters. Independently they have mediocre concepts.
Terrible one dimensional personalities, designs that some may find unattractive, unjustified power ups.
Any one of these issues would be annoying but passable as long as he others fail into place. The problem is that so much about them is mediocre that it makes the total presented package even worse than the individual parts.

So no, on a technical level Supers individual parts are not back, however when taken into totality it breaks down concepts and executions across the board which is the number one issue. It excels at nothing while simultaneously interweaving the broken and mediocre parts to weave and increasingly ugly tapestry that is of worse quality then the individual threads which compose it.

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Post by Lord Frieza » Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:30 pm

If thats what you think, your entitld to it.

I dont think so but then I'm likewise entitled to my opinion.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:33 pm

TheMikado wrote:The reinclusion of of SSG in the ToP after spamming SSB is awfully executed.

Other examples are the two female characters. Independently they have mediocre concepts.
This had no business happening, it came back for one episode and will most likely never be shown again. It's like someone saw what the manga was doing and decided to do it without thinking twice about it. This is a major issue with Super as a whole, it feels like no one thinks before putting things into it.

Worst characters in all of DB, simple as that. They have 0 going for them and to make things worse, it seems like they're going to be here for awhile.

perucho1990
I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:37 pm

SaiyanGod117 wrote:
perucho1990 wrote:

You mean people who aren’t DBS apologist, people who admit the fault of this haphazard produced show, people who want it to get better and aren’t nostalgic fiends.

I don’t know even know how the hell you made that assessment, the reason DBS is shit because it’s written like shit, it looks like shit. And actually yes a serious tone would actually help inert show, when Dragon Ball was at its best, there were always stakes, the status quo was in constant fluctuation. Even though death itself, was quite meaningless in DB the story still took itself quite seriously and treated the audience with respect. The heroes were oftem struggle with the villains for the dragon's wish, or there was some other variables at play to spice things up. In addition, your point about DBS demographic is still utterly stupid since shit many kids show like Samurai Jack, Avatar, and even some Transformers shows are even aimed at kids stil are able to maintain a serious tone throughout the show, while also keeping a coherent plot. Though now it’s beceome increasingly apparent to me that show’s visual style, constant focus on twist, action, and melodrama make it clear to trying to invoke a cool flashiness factor instead of something of actual substance.
The last season of Samurai Jack wasnt targereted for kids, it was always aimed to the old audience, unlike DBS, in which they want to create a new audience, meaning they dont care about old fans, its clear .

They treat the show as half gag series, half serious series. Never treat DBS as a 100% serious series.

If you and other people here want DBS to be like Z, just go to twitter, and spam Toei twitter account, begging to hire Shingo Natsume, the man behind OPM anime.

Boo Machine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Boo Machine » Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:47 pm

This thread just kind of feel like a rant. Which I don't find a huge issue with but your argument doesn't have much going for it. It basically boils down to "It's shit, it's garbage and only nostalgia blind people would like it" and then you throw in the word "objectively" like it's some ultimate magic spell that supposed to make what you say fact. Which I notice you do quite often.

It doesn't help that you group anyone who likes it as either being Toriyama fan boys or Nostalgia blind. This has the mentality of "The problem isn't me, it's everyone else who is wrong." Personally I've met quite a few people over the time of DBS who's first exposure to Dragonball is Super and they think it's, in one buddies words, Hype AF. I don't think he falls into the category of Toriayama fan or Nostalgia blind. Though I understand that the people I know are not representative of the whole casual fan base, I wouldn't doubt that there are plenty more in this position.

I kind of have to ask what the point of this thread is? Is it to have a discussion over the quality of Super or is it just to rant at us in the hopes that you may wake us from our delusions of the worst show to ever exist?
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.