Should one of Goku’s forms become his normal state?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Xeztin
I Live Here

Should one of Goku’s forms become his normal state?

Post by Xeztin » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:50 pm

At this point, Goku has more forms than he does normal clothes. I always wished he’d become stuck as an SSJ4 or SSG. What do you guys think? I thought SSG was the best shot at this happening since it’d made sense where he ascended to “God Hood”.

Asura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Should one of Goku’s forms become his normal state?

Post by Asura » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:56 pm

SSJ was pretty much Goku's normal state in the Cell saga thanks to fully mastering the form. Don't think he ever turned it off aside from when he died. I wouldn't mind seeing something like that again for most of an arc, just not permanently. Maybe not for Blue though, it's really not all that great to look at. I mean, when drawn and colored right it looks amazing with the white highlights but a lot of times it's just drawn a dark and dull dark blue or seafoam green without any highlights in it.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:02 am

It's no secret I really like ssjg; it's still my favorite Goku transformation (though Ultra Instinct comes incredibly close) would I want him in it all the time though? I don't know; I feel like I'd want to split the difference and just get to see ssjg Goku pop up a lot more often. I like base form Goku too.
GT aside, I like the ssj4 hair on Goku too. The arm fur not so much, but that 80's rocker hair ssj4 has yeah; it's what I imagine "If Goku could grow his hair out" would look like.

The only ones I don't care much for are the ones that give him Vegeta hair in the back (ssj1/2/blue) and I don't like ssj3.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Xeztin
I Live Here

Post by Xeztin » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:09 am

I think it’d be cool if he dropped the normal SSJ forms. Base-SSG-Blue-Ultra Instinct Omen would be good with me, especially since in Blue he has shown he can drop his power to almost nothing to fight weaker opponents.

TekTheNinja

Post by TekTheNinja » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:01 am

Remember the concept of super saiyan god basically becoming absorbed as Goku's new base? Toriyama doesn't.

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:51 am

I would personally like it if it ensured that the excess form supply were tossed out for the statuses created in Super. Ultra Instinct can be the topmost pinnacle of achievement where there hopefully isn't any more forms since the show is always encumbered with them.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:01 am

I hope Goku will only use Base and Ultra Instinct from now on. Realistically he won't so I hope that he will at least drop all the forms except for SSJ and Blue.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:27 am

Nah, base Goku is still unique and iconic, I mean it's base Goku hair, you can't do away with that!! One of the many reasons I didn't like the Cell arc was cuz the mastering of SS thing.
Asura wrote:SSJ was pretty much Goku's normal state in the Cell saga thanks to fully mastering the form. Don't think he ever turned it off aside from when he died. I wouldn't mind seeing something like that again for most of an arc, just not permanently. Maybe not for Blue though, it's really not all that great to look at. I mean, when drawn and colored right it looks amazing with the white highlights but a lot of times it's just drawn a dark and dull dark blue or seafoam green without any highlights in it.
Heresy man heresy!! :P Joking aside I actually made a post on the animation thread comparing all the different situation where the SSGSS hair is coloured different. I am not a huge fan of aura-less SSGSS in the dark, but thankfully more recently a lot of figures and such have been utilising the daytime SSGSS colouring.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:32 am

TekTheNinja wrote:Remember the concept of super saiyan god basically becoming absorbed as Goku's new base? Toriyama doesn't.
I mean, how fair is that really to say now in 2017?

Battle of Gods was developed in a bubble to be its own stand-alone project. Obviously they had hopes they could do more with with the franchise if the success warranted it, but with Resurrection 'F' being another movie after that, and then Super's haphazard production following that, it's no wonder that the stand-alone aspects of Battle of Gods -- specifically the "base" form incorporating the new power -- couldn't stay the way they were in such a heavily-merchandised/exploited children's franchise like this.

Black-haired Goku figures and cards and playable video game characters and manga chapters only get you so far.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:36 am

VegettoEX wrote:
TekTheNinja wrote:Remember the concept of super saiyan god basically becoming absorbed as Goku's new base? Toriyama doesn't.

Battle of Gods was developed in a bubble to be its own stand-alone project. Obviously they had hopes they could do more with with the franchise if the success warranted it, but with Resurrection 'F' being another movie after that, and then Super's haphazard production following that, it's no wonder that the stand-alone aspects of Battle of Gods -- specifically the "base" form incorporating the new power -- couldn't stay the way they were in such a heavily-merchandised/exploited children's franchise like this.

Black-haired Goku figures and cards and playable video game characters and manga chapters only get you so far.
Actually, even in the movie where Goku absorbed the power Super Saiyan God, he still went Super Saiyan God at the end of the movie. So it's both. Goku took the power of Super Saiyan God into this base, but it was hinted that Goku kept the transformation. It was in interview that Toriyama called Super Saiyan God an unneeded form since Goku took in its power. Why he changed his mind, or even if he did since it's questionable if Toei is just following the manga in this, is another question.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Asura

Post by Asura » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:19 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Nah, base Goku is still unique and iconic, I mean it's base Goku hair, you can't do away with that!! One of the many reasons I didn't like the Cell arc was cuz the mastering of SS thing.
Asura wrote:SSJ was pretty much Goku's normal state in the Cell saga thanks to fully mastering the form. Don't think he ever turned it off aside from when he died. I wouldn't mind seeing something like that again for most of an arc, just not permanently. Maybe not for Blue though, it's really not all that great to look at. I mean, when drawn and colored right it looks amazing with the white highlights but a lot of times it's just drawn a dark and dull dark blue or seafoam green without any highlights in it.
Heresy man heresy!! :P Joking aside I actually made a post on the animation thread comparing all the different situation where the SSGSS hair is coloured different. I am not a huge fan of aura-less SSGSS in the dark, but thankfully more recently a lot of figures and such have been utilising the daytime SSGSS colouring.
Yeah the daylight ones and Shida look the best to me, rest are meh. Looks like FighterZ's SSB is a lot like Shida/daylight ones too so that makes me happy.

TekTheNinja

Post by TekTheNinja » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:12 am

VegettoEX wrote:

That's true, but not a good thing either. Super seems to care more about merchandising than telling a good and coherent story. Of course prior Dragon Ball material also cared about merchandising, but it focused on telling a decent tale first and foremost.

In fact, Super doesn't even care enough to explain how Goku's power per all the forms he has, how he can access red god still, why Kale has a broly form, why and how Caulifla goes both ssj1 and 2 within minutes or any of that shit because "fuck it! It's just to sell merchandise so it doesn't need to make sense!" That's not a practice I wanna defend.

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:21 am

I'm an "all or nothing" kind of guy.

Either i want him to continue using all forms: Base, SSJ1, 2, 3, God, Blue, Ultra Instinct.
Or... I want him to drop all forms, including his regular Base Form, and just use Ultra Instinct from now on as his new permanent "Base". Where he's finally become a fully fledged deity 24/7! Just like Beerus, Whis, and all the other Gods and Angels.

Remember, all or nothing.

Pluto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Pluto » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:20 am

I'll use the late Krillin reference about SSJ's effect on the Genki Dama and Whis's criticism on transformations.
SSG hinted a bit of "back to basics" material, i really liked the slimmed down Goku on it, but i still prefer him in his normal state.

My optimal criteria would be, SSG body, normal form colouring (hair, eyes), UI aura and RoF GI.
In the year 42 of our god calendar, Zarma acquired a special patent for his original design.

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:27 am

Pluto wrote:I'll use the late Krillin reference about SSJ's effect on the Genki Dama and Whis's criticism on transformations.
SSG hinted a bit of "back to basics" material, i really liked the slimmed down Goku on it, but i still prefer him in his normal state.

My optimal criteria would be, SSG body, normal form colouring (hair, eyes), UI aura and RoF GI.
Good choice. Mine is the same but Id choose SSG eyes and maybe an older Gi.
Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"

Pluto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Pluto » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:45 am

GodKaio-Ken wrote:
Pluto wrote:I'll use the late Krillin reference about SSJ's effect on the Genki Dama and Whis's criticism on transformations.

They're still good choices, GI's are easy to get used to (except when some animators make Goku look like Mc Hammer), and SSG's and UI's eyes are both good too.

SSJ4's one are straight down shit, they look like they just had a spliff and did some make up before showing up, and SSJ3 looked like they suffer from a sinus infection.
In the year 42 of our god calendar, Zarma acquired a special patent for his original design.

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:19 am

Pluto wrote:
GodKaio-Ken wrote:

They're still good choices, GI's are easy to get used to (except when some animators make Goku look like Mc Hammer), and SSG's and UI's eyes are both good too.

SSJ4's one are straight down shit, they look like they just had a spliff and did some make up before showing up, and SSJ3 looked like they suffer from a sinus infection.
SSJ4 looks like they are going to open for Guns N Roses or something LOL if it werent for the mascara looking eyes Id actually like it since I like that they used the great ape lore and power of Saiyans wed not seen in a long time.
Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"