Lets play a game, rewrite the tournament.

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Totamo
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Lets play a game, rewrite the tournament.

Post by Totamo » Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:04 pm

Since a lot of people have a ton of complaints about the tournament. I want to see how they would have handle it given these rules, which i formed from the most complaints on the site . Give a brief synopsis on how you would execute this.

You have no less than 30 episodes and each of universe 7 must have at least 4 of their own 1 on 1 fights enough to satisfy their thirsty fanbases.

You have to use the same roster of 80 fighters and each one must have their own ability

You have to use to same arena and cant shorten or enlarge it.

The 48 hour time limit still last.

No episode lasts more than 24 minutes and you have to give the illusion of a battle royal.

No more than 20% of the roster can be filler

Goku, Vegeta, Freeza, 17 and Gohan don't fight until the end

Most fights have to be won through teamwork and tactics.

Jiren and hit don't fight until the end.

Can you give an arc that can satisfy most of the fanbase?

Zagacious
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Lets play a game, rewrite the tournament.

Post by Zagacious » Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:32 pm

Totamo wrote:Since a lot of people have a ton of complaints about the tournament. I want to see how they would have handle it given these rules, which i formed from the most complaints on the site . Give a brief synopsis on how you would execute this.

You have no less than 30 episodes and each of universe 7 must have at least 4 of their own 1 on 1 fights enough to satisfy their thirsty fanbases.
No one ever asked for that. It'd be nice enough to have at least one significant fight per fighter in U7, but we're not even getting that.
Totamo wrote: You have to use the same roster of 80 fighters and each one must have their own ability
It'd be nice if even 20 of them had their own unique ability, but I doubt it's even that much.
Totamo wrote: No more than 20% of the roster can be filler
Almost 90% of the roster is filler/fodder
Totamo wrote: Most fights have to be won through teamwork and tactics.
It'd be nice if at least half of them were, but it's not even close to that.

Anything can sound like a baseless complaint when you exaggerate it.

Also remember this isn't an Earth tournament where it makes sense for most of them to be fodder/weak. This is a tournament spanning 8 out of 12 all universes, trying to compare this to older Earth tournaments with 99% humans doesn't make a lot sense either.

Totamo

Post by Totamo » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:05 pm

Zagacious wrote:
Totamo wrote:Since a lot of people have a ton of complaints about the tournament. I want to see how they would have handle it given these rules, which i formed from the most complaints on the site . Give a brief synopsis on how you would execute this.

No one ever asked for that. It'd be nice enough to have at least one significant fight per fighter in U7, but we're not even getting that.
Totamo wrote: You have to use the same roster of 80 fighters and each one must have their own ability
It'd be nice if even 20 of them had their own unique ability, but I doubt it's even that much.

Also remember this isn't an Earth tournament where it makes sense for most of them to be fodder/weak. This is a tournament spanning 8 out of 12 all universes, trying to compare this to older Earth tournaments with 99% humans doesn't make a lot sense either.
I said, YOU make a tournament using these rules. Not judge the current one based off them. This is tournament people want so can you make it.

If you can't, say so then move one. If you can, tell me how you will do so.

Its that simple.

Ziegander
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ziegander » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:28 pm

That's a lot of fights. You're basically asking for 28 episodes dedicated solely or mostly to U7 fighters getting 1 on 1 fights. That's borderline unreasonable right there, but to combine it with...
you have to give the illusion of a battle royal.
and
Makes your requirements directly contradictory and borderline impossible to satisfactorily balance the narrative, pacing, and action.
This is just canonically incorrect. The tournament lasts 48 minutes in the anime and manga.
I don't understand why you or anyone would want this, but it could be done by having U7s heavy-hitters eliminate a lot of the other universes' heavy-hitters before the end of the tournament, but that seems like a bad way to pace the narrative. After the most exciting fights are over, then you just have Piccolo, 18, and Roshi playing clean-up with the likes of butterfly girl and robot #6. How long are we supposed to drag that out before the end in order to satisfy the requirement that none among Goku, Vegeta, Freeza, 17, and Gohan are fighting in "the end" of the tournament?
Okay, seems very specific and tailored to a very niche subset of the fanbase, but, sure, YOU want U7 to lose the tournament, YOU want none of U7s heavy-hitters to have any importance, and YOU want Hit to be shown as a badass at a higher level of skill and power than Goku or Vegeta. It can be done, if only to satisfy YOUR desires.
I don't believe the requirements you've set forth in this thread could be adhered to and produce a solid arc or consistent and cohesive battle-royale tournament in general, let alone one that would satisfy more than a small niche subset of the fanbase. I'm not even sure if, adhering to your requirements, one could write a ToP arc that would satisfy just YOU, as your requirements are often inconsistent with and contradicting of each other. I could however write an arc using the above requirements that showcases a bunch of unique characters with interesting abilities, but it would be schizophrenic and I wouldn't enjoy writing it or the eventual outcome that I see it heading towards.
My Full Rewrite of the Moro Arc

I've begun a full-scale re-write of the Tournament of Power! Here's Ch. 1, here's Ch.
, and here's Ch.
3!

Totamo

Post by Totamo » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:42 pm

Ziegander wrote:

That's a lot of fights. You're basically asking for 28 episodes dedicated solely or mostly to U7 fighters getting 1 on 1 fights. That's borderline unreasonable right there, but to combine it with...
you have to give the illusion of a battle royal.
and
Makes your requirements directly contradictory and borderline impossible to satisfactorily balance the narrative, pacing, and action.
This is just canonically incorrect. The tournament lasts 48 minutes in the anime and manga.
I don't understand why you or anyone would want this, but it could be done by having U7s heavy-hitters eliminate a lot of the other universes' heavy-hitters before the end of the tournament, but that seems like a bad way to pace the narrative. After the most exciting fights are over, then you just have Piccolo, 18, and Roshi playing clean-up with the likes of butterfly girl and robot #6. How long are we supposed to drag that out before the end in order to satisfy the requirement that none among Goku, Vegeta, Freeza, 17, and Gohan are fighting in "the end" of the tournament?
Okay, seems very specific and tailored to a very niche subset of the fanbase, but, sure, YOU want U7 to lose the tournament, YOU want none of U7s heavy-hitters to have any importance, and YOU want Hit to be shown as a badass at a higher level of skill and power than Goku or Vegeta. It can be done, if only to satisfy YOUR desires.
I don't believe the requirements you've set forth in this thread could be adhered to and produce a solid arc or consistent and cohesive battle-royale tournament in general, let alone one that would satisfy more than a small niche subset of the fanbase. I'm not even sure if, adhering to your requirements, one could write a ToP arc that would satisfy just YOU, as your requirements are often inconsistent with and contradicting of each other. I could however write an arc using the above requirements that showcases a bunch of unique characters with interesting abilities, but it would be schizophrenic and I wouldn't enjoy writing it or the eventual outcome that I see it heading towards.
Of course, it can't. There was no way this arc could do all this. But I want to see if someone can prove me wrong.

Ziegander
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ziegander » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:24 pm

Totamo wrote:Of course, it can't. [...] I want to see if someone can prove me wrong.
Oh.

In that case...

Give me a few days. I'll see if I can whip up a functional outline. :D
My Full Rewrite of the Moro Arc

I've begun a full-scale re-write of the Tournament of Power! Here's Ch. 1, here's Ch.
, and here's Ch.
3!

TekTheNinja

Post by TekTheNinja » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:57 am

Totamo wrote:
Zagacious wrote:

I said, YOU make a tournament using these rules. Not judge the current one based off them. This is tournament people want so can you make it.

If you can't, say so then move one. If you can, tell me how you will do so.

Its that simple.
No. Zagacious was explaining why your rules are unfair exaggerations of what people are actually asking for. The problem with the tournament isn't that it fails to do ALL of these things. It's that it fails to do ANY of these things. And doesn't even try to do most of them.

We honestly shouldn't have to write out our own version of the tournament just to show you that half-decent writing is possible, but I (probably) will... Eventually. A group of friends and I have had an idea based around Belated Media's "What if the Star Wars prequels were good?" series. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgICnbC2-_Y Basically though, we're kinda blocked from making it right now because we actually do plan on making semi-major changes while keeping the same basic concepts, plots, and characters of each arc, similar to what is done in those Star Wars videos. (So no, I won't necessarily be keeping the same type of arena and/or time limit because there's no real reason not to change that to make things more interesting) The problem with this is that we fear contradicting the core basis of a future arc with one of our changed plot-points. Because of this, doing this video series might be impossible until Super is actually over. I assure you if I ever do make this series then I'll show you the videos, but we've gotta go over the Universe 6 and Future Trunks arcs first before we even think of doing the Universe Survival arc. (along with some more minor changes made to Battle of Gods and Resurrection F)

But more to the point, this arc is garbage. It doesn't care about most of the U7 cast and even shafts most of the U6 cast. It says that skill and teamwork is important and then shows both those things being totally useless. The "strongest fighters" of each universe are mostly fodder with about 6 actually somewhat strong fighters in the entire multiverse. I don't have to write a version without these problems in order to prove that these problems exist and are bad and easily avoidable. I don't currently have the time to do that shit without shirking my other responsibilities. I've got a lot of things to do, but you know, it's not my JOB to write DBS.