Do you guys think Goku will beat Jiren?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

BlueVegerot
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Do you guys think Goku will beat Jiren?

Post by BlueVegerot » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:44 am

This is winning a one on one fight at the end to save u7. Goku has mastered UI and Jiren is fresh

I don't. Throughout super against THE main antagonist, Goku has been taking losses or only coming out ahead because of outside intervention.

Beerus spared him
Whis rewinding time vs Freeza
Hit jumped off the stage vs Monaka
Zeno erased zamasu

Personally I think same will happen vs Jiren who has yet to come close to getting full power. As we saw with kefla fight, UI can be hit and Jiren is in another league than her power wise

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Re: Do you guys think Goku will beat Jiren?

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:50 am

Didn't Jiren crush Ultra Instinct Goku as soon as he started taking the fight seriously? I don't see how Goku, even if he somehow masters Ultra Instinct in less than 15 minutes, would be able to beat Jiren?
I don't. Throughout super against THE main antagonist, Goku has been taking losses or only coming out ahead because of outside intervention.

Beerus spared him
Zeno erased zamasu
You bring up a very good point. For example, in the Future Trunks arc, Infinite Zamasu defeated Goku and friends, and they only emerged victorious thanks to Future Zeno's intervention (though Zamasu still had the last laugh).

However, i don't think Jiren will be the main antagonist of the arc. I think the main antagonist has yet to reveal themself and will interrupt the Tournament mid-way, similiar to what happened in the Buu arc.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:29 am

I think the tournament's gonna end with Goku and Frieza tag-teaming Jiren for the oddity factor.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:38 am

I'm unsure and can see it either way. Super likes to make Goku win without actually winning. It's how the first 4 arcs have turned out. On the one hand I expect that to happen again but on the other it may be time to go another route.

I could see it taking the remaining team plus UI Goku to win.
Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"

Khandom101
Beyond Newbie

Post by Khandom101 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:02 am

BlueVegerot wrote:This is winning a one on one fight at the end to save u7. Goku has mastered UI and Jiren is fresh

Beerus spared him
Zeno erased zamasu

Personally I think same will happen vs Jiren who has yet to come close to getting full power. As we saw with kefla fight, UI can be hit and Jiren is in another league than her power wise
Nah Goku ain't winning. It's like universe 7 will win the war but lose the battle (if it makes any sense)

buutenks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by buutenks » Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:17 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote:Didn't Jiren crush Ultra Instinct Goku as soon as he started taking the fight seriously? I don't see how Goku, even if he somehow masters Ultra Instinct in less than 15 minutes, would be able to beat Jiren?
Nope, Goku's UI ran out before Jiren blocked his punch. He crushed a depleted base Goku. I doubt Jiren can overpower UI Goku, but he can outlast him. Hence why i doubt Goku will beat Jiren, but u7 will win in the end.

BlueVegerot
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by BlueVegerot » Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:21 pm

buutenks wrote:
SupremeKai25 wrote:Didn't Jiren crush Ultra Instinct Goku as soon as he started taking the fight seriously? I don't see how Goku, even if he somehow masters Ultra Instinct in less than 15 minutes, would be able to beat Jiren?
Nope, Goku's UI ran out before Jiren blocked his punch. He crushed a depleted base Goku. I doubt Jiren can overpower UI Goku, but he can outlast him. Hence why i doubt Goku will beat Jiren, but u7 will win in the end.
Goku was still in UI when jiren blocked his planet, THEN he ran out of UI. In terms of raw power i don't think UI goku can really compete with jiren but the ability to dodge will give him a punchers chance

buutenks

Post by buutenks » Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:24 pm

BlueVegerot wrote:
buutenks wrote:
Goku was still in UI when jiren blocked his planet, THEN he ran out of UI. In terms of raw power i don't think UI goku can really compete with jiren but the ability to dodge will give him a punchers chance
Nope he wasnt, check the episode again, it shows Goku's UI disappearing right before the moment of contact.

And planet? ROFL.

BlueVegerot
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by BlueVegerot » Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:26 pm

buutenks wrote:
BlueVegerot wrote:
buutenks wrote:
Nope he wasnt, check the episode again, it shows Goku's UI disappearing right before the moment of contact.

And planet? ROFL.
He was in UI when jiren stopped his punch and THEN he slowly lost the aura. Watch closely. He didn't tank base goku punches, he tanked a UI goku punch without much issue.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:30 pm

BlueVegerot wrote:
buutenks wrote:
BlueVegerot wrote:

And planet? ROFL.
He was in UI when jiren stopped his punch and THEN he slowly lost the aura. Watch closely. He didn't tank base goku punches, he tanked a UI goku punch without much issue.
Goku's eyes went back to black just seconds before his final punch connected. It was in a blink and you miss scene, but it was there. Go to 20:18 on 110.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

buutenks

Post by buutenks » Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:34 pm

HeroR wrote:
BlueVegerot wrote:
buutenks wrote:

And planet? ROFL.
Goku's eyes went back to black just seconds before his final punch connected. It was in a blink and you miss scene, but it was there. Go to 20:18 on 110.
This, right before the punch connects, Goku's silver eyes turn to their usual black color.

BlueVegerot
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by BlueVegerot » Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:39 pm

buutenks wrote:
HeroR wrote:
BlueVegerot wrote:
This, right before the punch connects, Goku's silver eyes turn to their usual black color.
He still had the aura and his eyes went black for a moment right before he kicked jiren in the gut. seemed like he realized time was running out and put everything into blast and was blocked by jiren who flared up his ki. if you go by episode 116 lssj2 kefla had more raw power than goku so jiren tanking ui goku isn't some big deal

buutenks

Post by buutenks » Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:42 pm

BlueVegerot wrote:
buutenks wrote:
HeroR wrote:
He still had the aura and his eyes went black for a moment right before he kicked jiren in the gut. seemed like he realized time was running out and put everything into blast and was blocked by jiren who flared up his ki. if you go by episode 116 lssj2 kefla had more raw power than goku so jiren tanking ui goku isn't some big deal
buutenks wrote:
i already said Jiren will outlast UI GOku, since Goku hasnt mastered the offense part of UI. However, Goku;s UI did ran out before he hit Jiren, that doesnt mean if it hadnt Jiren would have been Koed or something. He would have blocked it either way.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:44 pm

BlueVegerot wrote: He still had the aura and his eyes went black for a moment right before he kicked jiren in the gut. seemed like he realized time was running out and put everything into blast and was blocked by jiren who flared up his ki. if you go by episode 116 lssj2 kefla had more raw power than goku so jiren tanking ui goku isn't some big deal
Goku's eyes flashed black, but he didn't lose the form. He was losing it. In the case of the final punch, Goku clearly lost it completely. It wasn't just a flash. And that blast wasn't Goku putting everything into it since it was just a generic ki blast. It was also never said that Kefla had more raw power than Goku, only that his hits weren't as powerful as it should have been. Meaning for that power he was putting out, his hits weren't matching. Finally, Kefla didn't have Legendary Super Saiyan 2, it was just Super Saiyan 2. There is no 'Legendary Super Saiyan' in Super.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:18 pm

I'd almost rather he didn't, but on the other hand if Goku is going to win any major fight in super it should be this one.

Jigurashi
Advanced Regular

Post by Jigurashi » Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:42 pm

This is DBS, so the chances of Goku winning against Jiren in the end is slim to none based on how Super's been running. Personally, I'd prefer Jiren remained undefeated in this saga, but I have no problem with Goku (or Goku/Freeza or Goku/Gohan) beating Jiren either. Just have it make sense, and satisfying and I'm good. But no, I don't see Goku winning. At this point in Super, Goku winning against Jiren would be a twist.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:13 pm

I could see the fight ending in a stalemate once the time runs out.

Kanious
Beyond Newbie

Post by Kanious » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:18 pm

i don't think that Jiren will be beaten. I suspect that u11 will win the tournament, and Jiren himself will be the one who wishes all universes back.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:42 pm

Goku won't beat Jiren.

Frieza will sneak attack a weakened Jiren.

Mark my words.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Zagacious
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Zagacious » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:56 pm

There are 4 main possibilities that I believe will happen.

1. I don't think Goku will beat him 1v1, but with the assistance of Vegeta and Frieza he might. Frieza has barely done anything this entire arc, and same with Vegeta. It seems like they're saving the big 3 for the final 3v1 against Jiren. I saw a spoiler that Vegeta may fight Toppo in episode 120. Since I believe Vegeta will defeat Toppo fairly easily, I think this may be the time Jiren starts acting and tries to go for Vegeta, at that point Goku and Frieza will be force to act.

2. I also think it's possible Frieza's going to come in at the last second when they are fighting Jiren for an 'assisting' elimination or at least to prevent Jiren from knocking them out. This may satisfy Zeno (which is one of Frieza's main goals so he can get the Dragon Balls) because he is playing smart by saving all his energy for when they will need it most.

3. Jiren or the others will purposely cause a stalemate so that U7 and U11 have an equal number of fighters, at which point Zeno and Grand priest may have some objections to this, or let them both exist, it's hard to say.

4. (I don't want this to happen, but it's very likely as well) Jiren will win after a long series of fights with Goku, Vegeta, and possibly Frieza, but U11 will still end up winning and wishing people back.

If Zenos aren't actually erasing the universes at the end, then this will change things a bit.
Last edited by Zagacious on Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.