Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MegaBossMan
Not-So-Newbie

Re: Official "DB Super 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by MegaBossMan » Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:05 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote:
JulieYBM wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Incredibles 2 is a little over 2hrs long, no reason this film shouldn't be I remember back in BoG they were concerned that kids won't last that long in theatres... I just don't want anymore of this kids BS. DBS merchandise is aimed at 15 years olds! The are not kids meanwhile DBH merch is aimed for 6 years olds! They are kids. So I don't want any of the "writing a fun simple story for kids" crap, if they're not aiming the merchandise at kids then stop aiming the story at kids. No blood etc fair enough they can't control that but the story they can. I doubt a parent or guardian is not gonna take their kid to the film because it is over 2hrs or kids will be bored because there isn't a poop joke in there somewhere.

(I swear to god if there is a poop joke in this film...)
The Incredibles 2 is A) made with more staff over a longer period of time and B) made with less talented staff who aren't used to having to maximize every moment of screen time. This movie could easily be good at only the length of four or five standard episodes if overseen by strong staff. Hosoda Mamoru and Yama'uchi Shigeyasu's Digimon films are absolute masterpieces despite only being 20, 40, and 60 minutes each. The shorter the film the higher the quality will be.

Why are you so insecure over this children's franchise appealing to what you think is meant specifically to appeal to kids, rather than also the staff making it?

Fuck, we'd be lucky to get some poop jokes in there. Pooping is good.
Please no.

I think what most people want is a 2 hour long Plot heavy story with beautiful action. Poop jokes aren’t really that funny if you ask me personally. Heck, in the west at least, poop and fart jokes are one of the most hated types of jokes in modern day cartoons.
In that case, what you're looking for will essentially never be found in Toriyama's Dragon Ball. The whole appeal of the series is found in its simplicity, not in any profound nostalgic feeling that you'd find in the orthodox Pixar film. That being said though, it's worth asking; would Dragon Ball truly work in a 2-hour long format? Battle of Gods and Resurrection F typically tend to stretch it pretty thin, and while the Dragon Ball series is a shoe-in for my favorite media franchise, I'd think that 2 hours would only serve even the greatest action setpieces that this movie could produce pretty tiring by the end of it. Dragon Ball films have always worked well in bite-sized pieces, not in grandiose magnum opus-esque pieces of cinema that goes on for 2 hours. It's Dragon Ball, it's supposed to be fun, and fun has to know when to end before it gets drawn out.
By jove, I've got nothing important to say!

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by majinwarman » Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:40 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Incredibles 2 is a little over 2hrs long, no reason this film shouldn't be I remember back in BoG they were concerned that kids won't last that long in theatres... I just don't want anymore of this kids BS. DBS merchandise is aimed at 15 years olds! The are not kids meanwhile DBH merch is aimed for 6 years olds! They are kids. So I don't want any of the "writing a fun simple story for kids" crap, if they're not aiming the merchandise at kids then stop aiming the story at kids. No blood etc fair enough they can't control that but the story they can. I doubt a parent or guardian is not gonna take their kid to the film because it is over 2hrs or kids will be bored because there isn't a poop joke in there somewhere.

I think that you are sounding too paranoid. I'm sure that the movie will not entirely be too child-like and will be reasonably long enough to tell the story it needs to tell.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:32 pm

MegaBossMan wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote:
JulieYBM wrote:
The Incredibles 2 is A) made with more staff over a longer period of time and B) made with less talented staff who aren't used to having to maximize every moment of screen time. This movie could easily be good at only the length of four or five standard episodes if overseen by strong staff. Hosoda Mamoru and Yama'uchi Shigeyasu's Digimon films are absolute masterpieces despite only being 20, 40, and 60 minutes each. The shorter the film the higher the quality will be.

Why are you so insecure over this children's franchise appealing to what you think is meant specifically to appeal to kids, rather than also the staff making it?

Fuck, we'd be lucky to get some poop jokes in there. Pooping is good.
Please no.

I think what most people want is a 2 hour long Plot heavy story with beautiful action. Poop jokes aren’t really that funny if you ask me personally. Heck, in the west at least, poop and fart jokes are one of the most hated types of jokes in modern day cartoons.
In that case, what you're looking for will essentially never be found in Toriyama's Dragon Ball. The whole appeal of the series is found in its simplicity, not in any profound nostalgic feeling that you'd find in the orthodox Pixar film. That being said though, it's worth asking; would Dragon Ball truly work in a 2-hour long format? Battle of Gods and Resurrection F typically tend to stretch it pretty thin, and while the Dragon Ball series is a shoe-in for my favorite media franchise, I'd think that 2 hours would only serve even the greatest action setpieces that this movie could produce pretty tiring by the end of it. Dragon Ball films have always worked well in bite-sized pieces, not in grandiose magnum opus-esque pieces of cinema that goes on for 2 hours. It's Dragon Ball, it's supposed to be fun, and fun has to know when to end before it gets drawn out.
Nothing i asked for in the db movie had anything to do with nostalgic feeling. I never even mention nostalgia. I asked for 3 things. Heavy plot, good action, and no poop jokes. How are any of these things you’d find in a Pixar film of all films?

As for 2 hours, thats not long at all. Even in a recent interview the Chief of the Dragon Ball Room said this:
Compared to the continuous, long story of the television series, if you have a two-hour movie, it’s easy to come up with a story that’s set up and resolved in two hours, so it might have been easy from Toriyama-sensei‘s standpoint as well
Even after finishing the story, Toriyama thought it was “too short” so him and Toei added plot points which then made the story unexpectedly long. And as of now, they’re finding a middle ground. If One Piece can a 2 hour movie thats keeps its high quality throughout the film, so can Dragon Ball. And with all the history, flashbacks, lore, world-building, and character introductions we’ll be getting, filling 2 hours with quality content should be easy.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:44 pm

Well since this isn't a one off sort of movie where it is kind of stand alone, and it is meant as a continuation of the DBS series, it should have an entire plot to it not just a short exposition and then some fighting like most of these movies. It should serve as almost the next arc in the series with a pretty full plot given it is a continuation and will take place in several timelines apparently. It sounds like the plot of the movie could be fairly complex especially for Dragon Ball standards. So for that to be case It should be atleast 2 hours long. To me it would be perfect if it was like around the same length as the new Jurassic World which was 2 hrs and 10 minutes.

Marlowe89
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Marlowe89 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:10 pm

BlueBasilisk wrote:Toei's website doesn't mention Zarbuto's race. I remember that one of the magazine scans said that Universe 2's team had a Tuffle but it didn't indicate which one it was.
Yep; Herms touches on it here. I guess most people assume that the scan was referring to Zarbuto because of his design, but like you said, there's no confirmation on that front.

Strangely enough, this is far from the only time a magazine scan brought up something that's never actually mentioned in the show.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:18 pm

Marlowe89 wrote:
BlueBasilisk wrote:Toei's website doesn't mention Zarbuto's race. I remember that one of the magazine scans said that Universe 2's team had a Tuffle but it didn't indicate which one it was.
Yep; Herms touches on it here. I guess most people assume that the scan was referring to Zarbuto because of his design, but like you said, there's no confirmation on that front.

Strangely enough, this is far from the only time a magazine scan brought up something that's never actually mentioned in the show.
The question is, if the scan wasn’t referring to Zarbuto, who could it have been referring to? The only members of Universe 2 who resemble past depictions of the Tuffle race are the normal forms of the three magic girls, and that only applies to the anime, as their manga counterparts don’t seem to have base forms.

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:07 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote:
MegaBossMan wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote: Please no.

Nothing i asked for in the db movie had anything to do with nostalgic feeling. I never even mention nostalgia. I asked for 3 things. Heavy plot, good action, and no poop jokes. How are any of these things you’d find in a Pixar film of all films?

As for 2 hours, thats not long at all. Even in a recent interview the Chief of the Dragon Ball Room said this:
Compared to the continuous, long story of the television series, if you have a two-hour movie, it’s easy to come up with a story that’s set up and resolved in two hours, so it might have been easy from Toriyama-sensei‘s standpoint as well
Even after finishing the story, Toriyama thought it was “too short” so him and Toei added plot points which then made the story unexpectedly long. And as of now, they’re finding a middle ground. If One Piece can a 2 hour movie thats keeps its high quality throughout the film, so can Dragon Ball. And with all the history, flashbacks, lore, world-building, and character introductions we’ll be getting, filling 2 hours with quality content should be easy.
I think that they would probably need 2 hours in general if they want to give the plot the depth it needs in order to be good.
Majinwarman

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:02 pm

Length shouldn’t be a big concern. My personal favorite Dragon Ball movie is movie 13, and that was less than an hour long. On the other hand, RF was an an hour and a half, and that whole movie was basically a bunch of fight scenes and more of the same gags about how much Beerus and Whis love food. Oh, and I guess there was also a lot of exposition, some of which was about things that most Dragon Ball fans already knew.

Vados_chan
Banned

Post by Vados_chan » Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:33 pm

Dragon Ball is for kids get over it.

Super Saiyan Swagger

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:45 pm

Since we're talking about the length of the film, I'm expecting around 1 hour and 45 minutes to 2 hours. This film's production is similar to the One Piece Film series and they are all over 1 hour and 45 minutes long. The ambitious multilayered story that they're going for sounds like it'll need a lot of screen time to flesh things out.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:25 pm

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:Since we're talking about the length of the film, I'm expecting around 1 hour and 45 minutes to 2 hours. This film's production is similar to the One Piece Film series and they are all over 1 hour and 45 minutes long. The ambitious multilayered story that they're going for sounds like it'll need a lot of screen time to flesh things out.
I take it those films do pretty well financially?

Super Saiyan Swagger

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:31 pm

WittyUsername wrote:
Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:Since we're talking about the length of the film, I'm expecting around 1 hour and 45 minutes to 2 hours. This film's production is similar to the One Piece Film series and they are all over 1 hour and 45 minutes long. The ambitious multilayered story that they're going for sounds like it'll need a lot of screen time to flesh things out.
Very well. One Piece Film Z is the 11th highest grossing anime film of all time. I get the feeling that this new Dragon Ball film might beat it.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:54 pm

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:
WittyUsername wrote:
Very well. One Piece Film Z is the 11th highest grossing anime film of all time. I get the feeling that this new Dragon Ball film might beat it.
Yup. It will get at least Top 10 in my opinion.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:56 pm

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:
WittyUsername wrote:
One Piece as a franchise seems to rival Dragon Ball in Japan. I wish I understood why, since I can’t really get into it. Then again, the only other anime besides Dragon Ball that I genuinely love is Cowboy Bebop, with something like Fist of the North Star being something of a guilty pleasure, so I guess this stuff generally isn’t for me.

MegaBossMan
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MegaBossMan » Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:08 am

AnimeNation101 wrote:
MegaBossMan wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote: Please no.

Thank you for ignoring most of my points in order to harp on the odd Pixar Nostalgia comment; as you are absolutely correct in ascertaining, nostalgia has absolutely nothing to do with Dragon Ball in this instance. However, that was not my intention; the nostalgia comment was designated towards the story structure of the Pixar films, which whether we see it in instances such as "Ratouille", "Inside-Out", "The Incredibles" and etc, often use the vehicle of nostalgia in either its founding themes or its foundation of the world itself. However, I digress; it's an off-hand comment I threw in because The Incredibles was specifically pointed out for comparison's sake, and I was raising that The Incredibles has a lot more substance as a whole. Regardless, I failed to express it properly, so I'll admit that was entirely my fault.

However, I am rather dubious of the Dragon Ball movie being a complete two hours long; I don't recall a situation in the past where a Dragon Ball film has ran on for that long, and specifically, I don't truly know if Dragon Ball would be able to uphold that imposed time without things feeling a little tiring. Let it be known that I'm no stranger for marathonning the show for well past two hours, but Toriyama's never been one for entirely captivating movie plots; Resurrection F already feels like it runs through the paces at 94 minutes with plenty of fighting filler, and while Battle of Gods is certainly captivating, the theatrical version isn't really that long. Hence to say, I just don't know if the new Super movie being overly-long is truly a good thing. However, as many have pointed out, this film does feature a dual-layered plot, and while I don't believe we're really going to get as much development on the past side of the plot as many think, the comments on most One Piece films being over an hour and 45 minutes has somewhat shifted my thoughts. I'm not well-versed in One Piece, but from what I understand the general appeal and atmosphere appears to reflect Dragon Ball, so I suppose the new Super movie could pull off being a long film and not feel grating after a while? Obviously, I do hope that's the case we'll be getting come December.
By jove, I've got nothing important to say!

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:38 am

With this multi-layered story they can do some great stuff, if they play it right. Flashbacks can give an epic grandeur to a story, making the scale of the movie expand so it looks like a space-opera.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:44 am

MegaBossMan wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote:
MegaBossMan wrote:

Thank you for ignoring most of my points in order to harp on the odd Pixar Nostalgia comment; as you are absolutely correct in ascertaining, nostalgia has absolutely nothing to do with Dragon Ball in this instance. However, that was not my intention; the nostalgia comment was designated towards the story structure of the Pixar films, which whether we see it in instances such as "Ratouille", "Inside-Out", "The Incredibles" and etc, often use the vehicle of nostalgia in either its founding themes or its foundation of the world itself. However, I digress; it's an off-hand comment I threw in because The Incredibles was specifically pointed out for comparison's sake, and I was raising that The Incredibles has a lot more substance as a whole. Regardless, I failed to express it properly, so I'll admit that was entirely my fault.

However, I am rather dubious of the Dragon Ball movie being a complete two hours long; I don't recall a situation in the past where a Dragon Ball film has ran on for that long, and specifically, I don't truly know if Dragon Ball would be able to uphold that imposed time without things feeling a little tiring. Let it be known that I'm no stranger for marathonning the show for well past two hours, but Toriyama's never been one for entirely captivating movie plots; Resurrection F already feels like it runs through the paces at 94 minutes with plenty of fighting filler, and while Battle of Gods is certainly captivating, the theatrical version isn't really that long. Hence to say, I just don't know if the new Super movie being overly-long is truly a good thing. However, as many have pointed out, this film does feature a dual-layered plot, and while I don't believe we're really going to get as much development on the past side of the plot as many think, the comments on most One Piece films being over an hour and 45 minutes has somewhat shifted my thoughts. I'm not well-versed in One Piece, but from what I understand the general appeal and atmosphere appears to reflect Dragon Ball, so I suppose the new Super movie could pull off being a long film and not feel grating after a while? Obviously, I do hope that's the case we'll be getting come December.
Well, i wouldn’t say One Piece reflects modern Dragon Ball. It has way more of an adventure aspect to it. And while i haven’t seen any of its movies, in the show, they’re always travelling, never staying too long in one place, and sometimes have the crew split up in different places so that in case we get tired of watching one character in one place, we can just switch. With this DB Movie, its lore heavy nature and multiple “parties” also brings some kind of adventure to it.

Like One Piece, it seems like with the fact that we’ll have Freeza, the antagonist saiyans, the Goku and co, each on their own at the beginning so we’ll be switch back and forth between the 3 parties until they converge into one for the main battle at presumably the ice planet. At the same time, we’ll be switching back and forth between the present and past. With all this switching between different places, characters, stories, and fights in this movie, 2 hours seems like a good time for all that content to be fit in.

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:58 am

AnimeNation101 wrote:
MegaBossMan wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote: Nothing i asked for in the db movie had anything to do with nostalgic feeling. I never even mention nostalgia. I asked for 3 things. Heavy plot, good action, and no poop jokes. How are any of these things you’d find in a Pixar film of all films?

Well, i wouldn’t say One Piece reflects modern Dragon Ball. It has way more of an adventure aspect to it. And while i haven’t seen any of its movies, in the show, they’re always travelling, never staying too long in one place, and sometimes have the crew split up in different places so that in case we get tired of watching one character in one place, we can just switch. With this DB Movie, its lore heavy nature and multiple “parties” also brings some kind of adventure to it.

Like One Piece, it seems like with the fact that we’ll have Freeza, the antagonist saiyans, the Goku and co, each on their own at the beginning so we’ll be switch back and forth between the 3 parties until they converge into one for the main battle at presumably the ice planet. At the same time, we’ll be switching back and forth between the present and past. With all this switching between different places, characters, stories, and fights in this movie, 2 hours seems like a good time for all that content to be fit in.
Has a V-Jump scan come out yet about a possible trailer date?
Majinwarman

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:14 am

majinwarman wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote:
MegaBossMan wrote:

No, but you should expect one around July 20-something

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:17 am

AnimeNation101 wrote:
majinwarman wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote: Well, i wouldn’t say One Piece reflects modern Dragon Ball. It has way more of an adventure aspect to it. And while i haven’t seen any of its movies, in the show, they’re always travelling, never staying too long in one place, and sometimes have the crew split up in different places so that in case we get tired of watching one character in one place, we can just switch. With this DB Movie, its lore heavy nature and multiple “parties” also brings some kind of adventure to it.

No, but you should expect one around July 20-something
So, I have to wait for three weeks or so? Great, I'm so happy to hear that.
Majinwarman