Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

RedRibbonSoldier#42
Regular

Re: Official "DB Super 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by RedRibbonSoldier#42 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:45 pm

I'm out. I'm ghost. Let me know when they have a real movie.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:45 pm

Hugely disappointing, I thought Toriyama was better than this. To bring back Broly for the fourth time despite being a non canon just because he's a cash cow...

It's just the same thing they did with the last movie and Frieza except at least there it was a good idea and Frieza is actually a good character.

Broly was never a good character and never warranted his popularity. Such a shame that that is all Toriyama could come up with. Of the three sagas he did in Super, two were just Tournaments, transformations that are recolours and then having Frieza, Goku Black, Trunks and now Broly.

He really has run out of ideas hasn't he?

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:45 pm

In commemoration:

jeffbr92
Advanced Regular

Post by jeffbr92 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:46 pm

Also with Broly being add to the series, we can finally realize there's no canon in this franchise, who knows... Tomorrow we might found out that Toriyama will add SSJ4 as a exclusive U6 transformation lol
RedRibbonSoldier#42 wrote:I'm out. I'm ghost. Let me know when they have a real movie.
You won't convince anybody with that, I'm already seeing your movie feedback at the end of year.
Power levels are not just big numbers:

by Doctor.

Zen Yabuki
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Zen Yabuki » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:48 pm

miguelnuva1 wrote:
kemuri07 wrote:Chiming in to say—

Another Broly movie (technically a canon-remake if the first Broly film...maybe?) is so, so fucking disappointing.

I highly doubt that Broly is going to be any different than what he’s been. He’ll go berserk, trounce Goku and co for 40 min, then Goku will go ultra instinct, commence 5 minutes of expensive spectacle, Goku wins the day.

See? Just spoiled the movie for everyone.

That’s what you get for expecting anything from Super.
That's basically every Dragonball movie ever.
This. Not sure why this is exclusive to Super when DB has been doing this for a long time now.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:49 pm

TheShadowEmperor8055 wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote:
TheShadowEmperor8055 wrote: Yup, as I said here, everything Toei is doing thus far is for a reason:

Could Ultra Instinct or SSGSSE appear in this film? Find out next time on Dragon Ball Super!

Jokes aside, DB has been reusing content and storylines since GT, perhaps earlier than that. If I've learned anything from Dragon Ball Super, it's that we'll initially be underwhelmed with a lot of things, and then get over it.
Not gonna lie. I had your theory way before this was announced. Everyone said i was wrong. Then, today Terez pinned me. So many folks were salty: https://www.reddit.com/r/dbz/comments/8 ... ts_of_the/

Bottom line, i think Gogeta and Bardock as HIGHELY LIKELY
It's not my theory, per se, nor was I trying to present it as such. It's just something I noticed after the movie's title was confirmed. If you came up with it earlier and Terez pinged you, then props to you mate.
Oh no. I’m sure other people though the same as me even without seeing my post
precita wrote:Only Goku and Vegeta on the poster also makes it obvious we're going back to the same two characters for the boring route.

I guess all the other main characters won't do any fighting again. So much for Gohan, Piccolo, etc.
Well, Gohan said he wanted to be a Scholar. And seems to only fight when Earth is at stake. It seems like the main battle is taking place on another Planet so Gohan might not even know. And Piccolo might still be relevant since he was one of the first characters revealed.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:49 pm

Vic Mignogna is probably crying right now.

perucho1990
I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:50 pm

Part of me would want Broly to turn good, and join Goku and Vegeta, and like that we got our Monster Trio.

Broly is a huge merchandise seller, and putting him in the same main group as Goku and Vegeta would be a good decision for all reasons, and besides we could get them help the U6 saiyans with their training, after all they are their counterparts.

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:50 pm

Basaku wrote:Like where? Where are those quotes by Broly in the movie how lonely he is and how he just needs somene to protect etc? Anything like that even attempted to be shown by animators? Nowhere to be seen. WHat's left? Rage and "I'll kill u all" ain't personality traits, they're just race characteristics for Saiyans in angry state.

Kale is a living example of a character who has SOME personality outside "rah rah" angry SSJ form. Broly does not.
I have never even mentioned the staff's comment about Broly so don't act like this was the statement I made. The derivation of "Broly has a personality" completely comes from everything displayed in the movie itself. And just because you want to reduce him to a caricature or purposely disregarding what he is by saying "he is a Saiyan so he shows these traits because of that" does not actually invalidate that in any form. You are one of these people who says "you have no counter-argument because you are not allowed to use x and y and z" even though there is no actual and acceptable reason for that. Broly's psychopathic, cruel, sadistic, merciless, maybe even vengeful towards Paragus, arrogant, etc. being is all a part of him. Whether he shows that "because he is a Saiyajin" or not plays no role. Especially as he is not like the other Saiyajin that we mainly know. This is his main persona - in the old movie(s). He is the Legendary Super Saiyajin. So he lives like that.
Last edited by Cetra on Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:56 pm, edited 6 times in total.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

Brettjr25
Beyond Newbie

Post by Brettjr25 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:51 pm

jeffbr92 wrote:Also with Broly being add to the series, we can finally realize there's no canon in this franchise, who knows... Tomorrow we might found out that Toriyama will add SSJ4 as a exclusive U6 transformation lol
RedRibbonSoldier#42 wrote:I'm out. I'm ghost. Let me know when they have a real movie.
You won't convince anybody with that, I'm already seeing your movie feedback at the end of year.

I think Toriyama deciding to contradict everything in the Bardock special with a short poorly written story kind of established canon is whatever he feels like it is at the moment. Or else we can all just assume there are mutliuniverses now that somehow comingle.

IndieBooToo
Temporarily Banned

Post by IndieBooToo » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:51 pm

Cetra wrote:I hope Broly is using Freeza as a sleigh in this movie.
Nah Broly will use Jobgeta as the sleigh instead. Like he used him for clothesline practice in the original film.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:51 pm

kemuri07 wrote:Chiming in to say—

Another Broly movie (technically a canon-remake if the first Broly film...maybe?) is so, so fucking disappointing.

I highly doubt that Broly is going to be any different than what he’s been. He’ll go berserk, trounce Goku and co for 40 min, then Goku will go ultra instinct, commence 5 minutes of expensive spectacle, Goku wins the day.

See? Just spoiled the movie for everyone.

That’s what you get for expecting anything from Super.
Bet you’re still gonna see the movie though. LOL, in fact all this hate over something that you haven’t even seen is stupid. And this movie is still gonna end up being the greatest, most successful Dragon Ball movie of all time. This little thing is just a phase. It will die out and then will come back in 10 days when the trailer releases but the hate will be smaller and by the time movie, everyone will go see it.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:53 pm

IndieBooToo wrote:
Cetra wrote:I hope Broly is using Freeza as a sleigh in this movie.
Nah Broly will use Jobgeta as the sleigh instead. Like he used him for clothesline practice in the original film.
Nah. Freeza’s lookin like the new jobber. They make a huge emphasis on the fate of Goku, Vegeta, and Broly. That makes Freeza less important and more likely to get beat down. Plus, alien-looking characters getting beat down just looks more satisfying.

DasMuse
Beyond Newbie

Post by DasMuse » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:53 pm

Everyone losing their sh!t about this is hilarious to me. :lol:

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:54 pm

BrolyKale wrote:
Basaku wrote:
BrolyKale wrote:But Toriyama accepted to make a new movie about Broly, so deal with it man. Another character, another character blablabla... this new Broly is also a new character so try to enjoy it.

Broly does have a personality in the first movie, watch it again when he tranforms into the LSSJ.
I'm dealing with it just fine, thanks. It's easy for me when I don't gotta make up excuses. There's nothing wrong being a fan of power/design, but why bother pretending it was deeper than that these past years? Broly never had a character or personality and represented solely 'style over substance' side of the franchise. Hopefully Toriyama improves upon it considerably and everyone can enjoy him.
He actually had, even the creator of the movie says that in his recent interview

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=42231&p=1509840&hil ... w#p1509840
"In France and in the world, we recognize you for the 8th DBZ movie, the one that revolve around the mythical Broly. How did you had the idea for this change, the movie going in other directions than usual ?

Shigeyasu Yamauchi : When I had to work on the Broly movie, I realized that he lacked something, although he is the most powerful Saiyan. It's this solitude of the powerful warrior that I wanted to retranscribe. He can destroy galaxies but is alone compared to Goku, whom he despises but has a family, just like Vegeta. When he loses at the end, he realizes that strength is not just physical, he would have been able to unlock another kind of power if he had something to protect for example."

Broly does have a personality and also has an interesting background. He is not only a brainless monster.
Holy shit

Broly is the original Jiren
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

MKCSTEALTH
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MKCSTEALTH » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:55 pm

*hears poster and villain reveal for the movie was released*

Oh boy!!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

*sees the title and reveal*

I'm truly at a loss for words. Did Kale backfire so badly that they had to go and make another Broly movie!? I'm absolutely speechless

If they continue Super, will they do so with Broly? What are the implications of this news?

I'm a fan of Broly, but I like my Broly in his little movie 10 universe. Not in my mainstream Dragonball. I like Kale. I love Kefla. I don't wanna a canonized Broly

I hope this turns out to be the biggest troll in the history of this series.

Basaku
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Basaku » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:57 pm

Cetra wrote:
Basaku wrote:Like where? Where are those quotes by Broly in the movie how lonely he is and how he just needs somene to protect etc? Anything like that even attempted to be shown by animators? Nowhere to be seen. WHat's left? Rage and "I'll kill u all" ain't personality traits, they're just race characteristics for Saiyans in angry state.

Kale is a living example of a character who has SOME personality outside "rah rah" angry SSJ form. Broly does not.
I have never even mentioned the staff's comment about Broly so don't act like this was the statement I made. The derivation of "Broly has a personality" completely comes from everything displayed in the movie itself. And just because you want to reduce him to a caricature or purposely disregarding what he is by saying "he is a Saiyan so he shows these traits because of that" does not actually invalidate that in any form. You are one of these people who says "you have no counter-argument because you are not allowed to use x and y and z" even though there is no actual and acceptable reason for that. Broly's psychopathic, cruel, sadistic, merciless, maybe even vengeful towards Paragus, arrogant, etc. being is all a part of him. Whether he shows that "because he is a Saiyajin" or not plays no role. Especially as he is not like the other Saiyajin. This is his main persona.
You quoted my conversation with another user and accented how they already proved me Broly has personality. And that user was using post-fact creator interview for that so yeah.

Also, didn't you have Kale avatar? Then you can surely you can tell the difference between character with some personality and one with nothing but rah rah rage. And yes, context does matters, especially one of Saiyan rage that was covered endlessly already years prior

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:58 pm

What's genuinely sad about this is that some editor went to him and said "Hey Broly is really popular, use him so that the movie can make money!" and Toriyama actually went along with it.

He couldn't even come up with something on his own, someone else had to give him the idea. Probably even worse still is that Toriyama clearly knows he must be a shit character if he's going to rework him at which point he won't be much like Broly anyway but rather than just make him an original character they're just going to use the Broly name for money.

BrolyKale
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by BrolyKale » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:59 pm

Bullza wrote:What's genuinely sad about this is that some editor went to him and said "Hey Broly is really popular, use him so that the movie can make money!" and Toriyama actually went along with it.

He couldn't even come up with something on his own, someone else had to give him the idea. Probably even worse still is that Toriyama clearly knows he must be a shit character if he's going to rework him at which point he won't be much like Broly anyway but rather than just make him an original character they're just going to use the Broly name for money.
He also accepted Kale so yeah... I think Broly will be very interesting, people need to give him a chance.
Zamasu, Broly, Mira & Fu

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:00 pm

Bullza wrote:What's genuinely sad about this is that some editor went to him and said "Hey Broly is really popular, use him so that the movie can make money!" and Toriyama actually went along with it.

Didn't Toei provide him with the Goku Black arc concept as well? This isn't new.