Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

LightBing
I Live Here

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by LightBing » Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:01 am

There's a lot of good stuff in there, glad the new secondary characters will have a role. Also didn't the producer just spoil that Freeza is trying to recruit Broly, not that was hard to guess. Glad Freeza's return is apparently being put to good use this time.

Goku almost being a God..., what does that exactly mean? It's such an open ended statement that it's annoying, it will only serve to rile up people. Waiting for the full translation.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:02 am

Man, what's with randomly shitting on Vegeta there? Struggling to catch up? The anime and manga have them both roughly even going into the end of the ToP. The deciding factor is Ultra Instinct which Goku can't use at will anyway. :eh:
Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:I don't think there's anything to worry about. It's a directors job to adapt a script to screen to the best of his ability. Nagamine was being true to Toriyama's script while creating the storyboard, then he and several others cut out the fluff to create a more cohesive story. Toriyama and the editorial staff even said that the script was too long, so they left it up to Toei to cut it down.

If the Battle of Gods extended cut is anything to go by, then cutting the script down is a good idea. I've always preferred the theatrical version to the extended one since it keeps the pace going and doesn't spend too much time on gags that overstay their welcome.
Right, and personally I think the theatrical version still could have used some more editing.
Last edited by BlueBasilisk on Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dragono
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dragono » Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:14 am

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:I don't think there's anything to worry about. It's a directors job to adapt a script to screen to the best of his ability. Nagamine was being true to Toriyama's script while creating the storyboard, then he and several others cut out the fluff to create a more cohesive story. Toriyama and the editorial staff even said that the script was too long, so they left it up to Toei to cut it down.

If the Battle of Gods extended cut is anything to go by, then cutting the script down is a good idea. I've always preferred the theatrical version to the extended one since it keeps the pace going and doesn't spend too much time on gags that overstay their welcome.
But that only added 15 minutes, not an hour and a half.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:23 am

LightBing wrote:Goku almost being a God..., what does that exactly mean?
Vegeta took down a candidate with a strengthened Blue form so he himself is above at least some of them but Goku is just almost being on their level ? With UI he should be on an angle's level.

In terms of Vegeta struggling to catch up, we saw that exact thing during the TOP so him still trying to reach UI isn't surprising at all.
Last edited by sintzu on Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Kaiosama
Beyond Newbie

Post by Kaiosama » Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:24 am

Toei has always shitted on Vegeta. But it's also the purpose of his character. He will always struggle to keep up and will never be able to surpass. Apparently Goku is even stronger in SSB now, unless they are implying that Goku can use MUI at will, which would explain the huge gap in power between that form and SSBE.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:26 am

sintzu wrote:
LightBing wrote:Goku almost being a God..., what does that exactly mean?
Vegeta took down a candidate with a strengthened Blue form so he himself is above at least some of them but Goku is just almost being on their level ? With UI he should be on an angle's level.
UI Goku is not on an angel’s level
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:30 am

Kaiosama wrote:Toei has always shitted on Vegeta. But it's also the purpose of his character. He will always struggle to keep up and will never be able to surpass. Apparently Goku is even stronger in SSB now, unless they are implying that Goku can use MUI at will, which would explain the huge gap in power between that form and SSBE.
What? Have you even watched DBS? Vegeta has surpassed Goku multiple times.

Vegeta surpassed Goku when he rage boosted in SSJ2. Vegeta surpassed Goku for like 6 months when he trained with Whis and until the U6 vs U6 they were equal. Vegeta surpassed surpassed Goku by the end of the Black arc if we AREN’T counting kaioken blue. Vegeta technically surpassed Goku by getting SSBE since Goku can’t tap into UI at will.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:33 am

Kaiosama wrote:Toei has always shitted on Vegeta.

Apparently Goku is even stronger in SSB now, unless they are implying that Goku can use MUI at will, which would explain the huge gap in power between that form and SSBE.
They've shitted on him so much he ended up being the 3rd strongest fighter in the TOP and is the franchise's 2nd main character. I'm sure Gohan and Piccolo fans wish those 2 would get shit on like that.

He doesn't have to be able to use it at will to be stronger, just the fact that he can use it at all puts him above Vegeta.
AnimeNation101 wrote:UI Goku is not on an angel’s level
I know, I just think that based on what we've seen he should be stronger then at least the destroyers.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:35 am

Kenneth La Torre wrote:
Miracles wrote:
Kenneth La Torre wrote:
Without UI, i wonder if vegeta will ever catch up. I doubt he will reach a level above official gods of destruction like goku with his ssbe state. And just like you, i really dont like ssbe, and would want to see it as least as possible.
Why would the statement not factor in UI when the story showed Goku in MUI? Even IF he can't access the form, still doesn't change the fact that they seen him with that power.
It's obvious the statement is speaking in overall power of Goku, hence why it's mentioned Vegeta is trying to catch Goku.
nothing that you wrote corrects my statement.
When i said without UI, i was directing it to vegeta. As in
"Without vegeta having UI, i wonder if he will ever reach said level". Its a simple reading mistake I've also made, so its cool.
My bad.
Last edited by Miracles on Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:45 am, edited 2 times in total.

Dragono
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dragono » Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:36 am

AnimeNation101 wrote:
Kaiosama wrote:Toei has always shitted on Vegeta. But it's also the purpose of his character. He will always struggle to keep up and will never be able to surpass. Apparently Goku is even stronger in SSB now, unless they are implying that Goku can use MUI at will, which would explain the huge gap in power between that form and SSBE.
What? Have you even watched DBS? Vegeta has surpassed Goku multiple times.

Vegeta surpassed Goku when he rage boosted in SSJ2. Vegeta surpassed Goku for like 6 months when he trained with Whis and until the U6 vs U6 they were equal. Vegeta surpassed surpassed Goku by the end of the Black arc if we AREN’T counting kaioken blue. Vegeta technically surpassed Goku by getting SSBE since Goku can’t tap into UI at will.
Yeah, Goku has been surpassed numerous times in the franchise, honestly.. Like I'm positive that the humans surpassed him doing the same training he did for 3 years, in Vegeta did it numerous time son namek. Piccolo did it. Gohan has done it. Trunks.

I guess its kinda like the goku always wins meme. Its not true but you feel like it should be.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:39 am

Kenneth La Torre wrote:Without UI, I wonder if vegeta will ever catch up. I doubt he will reach a level above official gods of destruction like goku with his ssbe state.
Toppo was a destroyer candidate so we know he's surpassed some of them at least as I highly doubt Toppo was the weakest among the 13. Beerus in the manga told Vegeta after fighting him in chapter 27 that his current level is close to or surpasses some of them.

Vados_chan
Banned

Post by Vados_chan » Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:48 am

Makes me wonder if Broly will get a uncut version on DVD like BoG did, though F didn't get one and there was lost of stuff cut out for that.

Or the most obvious route is anime redo with added stuff.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:08 am

sintzu wrote:
Kaiosama wrote:Toei has always shitted on Vegeta.

Apparently Goku is even stronger in SSB now, unless they are implying that Goku can use MUI at will, which would explain the huge gap in power between that form and SSBE.
They've shitted on him so much he ended up being the 3rd strongest fighter in the TOP and is the franchise's 2nd main character. I'm sure Gohan and Piccolo fans wish those 2 would get shit on like that.

He doesn't have to be able to use it at will to be stronger, just the fact that he can use it at all puts him above Vegeta.
AnimeNation101 wrote:UI Goku is not on an angel’s level
I know, I just think that based on what we've seen he should be stronger then at least the destroyers.
What? Vegeta was never the 2nd strongest in the T.o.P though. It was always Jiren, Goku, and then Vegeta.

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:33 am

Toriyama's 3 hour script was cut to 90 mins with only the fighting staying as is, I realize not everything needs to be adapted but this development, won't this affect the story's flow in a drastic way? The author wrote everything assuming what he wrote the line before was valid, but now the line before dosen't exist..
This titbit of information is quite worrying
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:46 am

AnimeNation101 wrote:THE TINGLING BACKS WAS TORIYAMA’S IDEA
https://twitter.com/Herms98/status/1025909498999799808
That’s a nice confirmation, I started thinking that maybe it was Toei’s idea as the manga omitted it. Just further confirmation that Toriyama has been working a lot on Super’a anime behind the scene.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Dragono
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dragono » Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:51 am

But do I like the aspect of what they are trying to do with Freeza. he is aiming big but still playing it smart.

Well, freeza smart anyway. I'm just glad no redemption
Last edited by Dragono on Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:53 am

AnimeNation101 wrote:
sintzu wrote:The 3rd strongest fighter in the TOP and is the franchise's 2nd main character.
What? Vegeta was never the 2nd strongest in the T.o.P though. It was always Jiren, Goku, and then Vegeta.
That's what I said. 3rd strongest in the tournament and Super's overall 2nd main character.

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:54 am

Dragono wrote:But do I like the aspect of what they are trying to do with Freeza.
I don't know, that's probably something you will have to decide mate :P
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

Dragono
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dragono » Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:56 am

Ki Breaker wrote:
Dragono wrote:But do I like the aspect of what they are trying to do with Freeza.
I don't know, that's probably something you would have to decide mate :P
Misplacing 2 words back to back can really change a sentence

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:58 am

Dragono wrote:
Ki Breaker wrote:
I don't know, that's probably something you would have to decide mate :P
Misplacing 2 words back to back can really change a sentence
Can they
They can