Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:28 pm

Bardock's "last stand" can't happen anyway, he doesn't have plot convenient physic powers, he's suspicious of something but doesn't know what.

Bardock dies either way so I don't understand the big deal of him having to confront Freeza anyway.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:31 pm

Bergamo wrote:The series does have a continuity. The dragon ball manga is the story of Goku, and Dragon Ball super is the continuation of that story. You can't disregard the new movie, because it is factually part of the story started in Dragon Ball chapter 1.
It doesn't as neither the author or Toei had stated on anywhere the official continuity of this franchise, what it should be considered and what's not.

Remember: this movie, past movies, TV specials, Minus or Super/GT are not attached with the original work. People can ignore pretty much what they want out of the original 42 volumes.
ssj3kakarot wrote:The ONLY thing that is undeniable changed for the worse, without question or retort, is the character design change for King Vegeta! I mean, is his name King Hector or something? He looks like a choad compared to the anime King Vegeta. :lol:
My thoughts exactly, I mean compare this to this:

Look to this beard, it imposes much more respect than this new trash design, gosh I wish the anime staff were consistent with old character designs.
Bebi Hatchiyack wrote:See you in the Third Trailer that will erase all your worrieness 8)
What? Will we get a third trailer? :wtf:
Shaddy wrote:Why is this silly misconception still a topic of discussion?
Retcon or not, it doesn't change that Toriyama artstyle in both pics is the worst this series ever had, I think even Toyotaro would be able to draw a better kid Vegeta without looking like a funny chibi version of his adult self.
Last edited by Noah on Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:43 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Bardock's "last stand" can't happen anyway, he doesn't have plot convenient physic powers, he's suspicious of something but doesn't know what.

Bardock dies either way so I don't understand the big deal of him having to confront Freeza anyway.
Well, everyone's still on about the quality of the original TV special.

While some of the events and concepts do mirror what's happened with DB Minus and now the movie, the execution is a classic case of Toei infusing some amazing emotion and action to tell a story better to audiences than is generally seen with the franchise's manga installments.

It's an almost mirror case like DBS's manga vs. anime; the former is cited for being "closer to the original story" and more consistent within itself, while the latter is cited for having more impactful character interaction and movement. As someone who personally falls on the anime side of the debate, you'll see me defending folks who believe that the movie taking the bonus chapter route over the TV special route is a mistake because, well, I understand exactly where they're coming from; it's a subjectively inferior version of the same origin story being chosen as part of the main story instead of the more resonant work.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:45 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Bardock dies either way so I don't understand the big deal of him having to confront Freeza anyway.
Because it was implied he did so in the original work? And people wouldn't take serious a story that contradicts it's own source? Is that a serious question, mate?
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Bergamo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bergamo » Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:04 pm

Noah wrote:
Bergamo wrote:The series does have a continuity. The dragon ball manga is the story of Goku, and Dragon Ball super is the continuation of that story. You can't disregard the new movie, because it is factually part of the story started in Dragon Ball chapter 1.
It doesn't as neither the author or Toei had stated on anywhere the official continuity of this franchise, what it should be considered and what's not.

Remember: this movie, past movies, TV specials, Minus or Super/GT are not attached with the original work. People can ignore pretty much what they want out of the original 42 volumes.
ssj3kakarot wrote:The ONLY thing that is undeniable changed for the worse, without question or retort, is the character design change for King Vegeta! I mean, is his name King Hector or something? He looks like a choad compared to the anime King Vegeta. :lol:
My thoughts exactly, I mean compare this to this:

Look to this beard, it imposes much more respect than this new trash design, gosh I wish the anime staff were consistent with old character designs.
Bebi Hatchiyack wrote:See you in the Third Trailer that will erase all your worrieness 8)
Shaddy wrote:Why is this silly misconception still a topic of discussion?
Retcon or not, it doesn't change that Toriyama artstyle in both pics is the worst this series ever had, I think even Toyotaro would be able to draw a better kid Vegeta without looking like a funny chibi version of his adult self.
You can deny obvious truths, but don't expect me to take someone seriously when they say android 21 is canon. There have been so many Toriyama, Toei, and Shueisha statements calling DBS an official continuation of Dragon Ball.
My explanations for the events of my favorite current manga.

DBS Manga Explained: Goku Black's Transformations

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:12 pm

Noah wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Bardock dies either way so I don't understand the big deal of him having to confront Freeza anyway.
Because it was implied he did so in the original work? And people wouldn't take serious a story that contradicts it's own source? Is that a serious question, mate?
It was barely a page in the manga, that had no bearing on the entire arc and was more of Toriyama giving a nod to Toei. And it doesn't contradict anything since it came from Freeza's mouth an unreliable narrator who also explained why Vegeta couldn't get SS and then he does next arc out of nowhere.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:21 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:It was barely a page in the manga, that had no bearing on the entire arc and was more of Toriyama giving a nod to Toei.
Please don't miss the point: The problem with the omission of Bardock's stand doesn't have anything to do with Freeza saga as a whole. And no one complaining about it is taking into consideration the entire saga. The problem with the omission of Bardock's stand affects his character. It doesn't matter if it was barely a page or not. It was all that it took for us to know that Toriyama acknowledged that moment from the TV Special into the manga continuity.

Also, this goes for everyone here: whatever happens there will be people happy about it and there will be people sad about it. But please, don't make your stance on the matter as if it was the most valuable stance. If you don't care, others may do. What may not be a big deal for you, may be for others. Understand this so we can move on.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:25 pm

Excuse me. Is the Dragonball community that small and insignificant that it has to try and split hairs over Bardock's unspectacular death being shown or not?
Dude literally put up NO fight and just went up to space to eat a sun. I just don't understand the obsession over the minute.

Bergamo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bergamo » Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:27 pm

The movie isn't about Bardock so why care if he gets his special moment or not?

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:30 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Noah wrote:
It was barely a page in the manga, that had no bearing on the entire arc and was more of Toriyama giving a nod to Toei. And it doesn't contradict anything since it came from Freeza's mouth an unreliable narrator who also explained why Vegeta couldn't get SS and then he does next arc out of nowhere.
Yeah it does. The manga showed us Freeza’s memory which showed the Bardock from the Bardock special during his rebellion. That means Freeza confirms that the rebellion did in fact happen. So if it doesn’t happen in the movie, its an obvious outright contradiction. No way around it. As for it’s importance, for fans of Bardock, its about as important to them as Gohan’s father-son kamehameha was to Gohan fans or as important as Majin Vegeta’s explosion is to Vegeta fans. Its the moment Bardock is known for and tbh, the rebellion was kinda the last piece of badass Bardock we had left once DBMinus came out. Its more than fair that people would complain about them retconning the rebellion.

Now, complaining about the other events in the Bardock special is anther story since those events were never validated by Toriyama’s manga. Just the rebellion.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

kudo6000
Beyond Newbie

Post by kudo6000 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:31 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Noah wrote:
Why shouldn’t we take Freeza’s word for it? I don’t see what purpose there’d be in him not telling the truth. He seemed 100% genuine to me.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:34 pm

Bergamo wrote:The movie isn't about Bardock so why care if he gets his special moment or not?
Because a major part of the movie is talking about the origins of the 3 saiyans and the history of the saiyans with Freeza and Bardock is a HUGE part of both of these topics.

Plus, why would it matter whether or not a character you love isn’t the center of attention in a movie? Whether he is or not, if they change him and fans think they ruined part of his character and/or are making horrible retcons, than either way they have a right to complain about it.

So your point isn’t really valid in this discussion
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

Bergamo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bergamo » Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:44 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote:
Bergamo wrote:The movie isn't about Bardock so why care if he gets his special moment or not?
Because a major part of the movie is talking about the origins of the 3 saiyans and the history of the saiyans with Freeza and Bardock is a HUGE part of both of these topics.

Plus, why would it matter whether or not a character you love isn’t the center of attention in a movie? Whether he is or not, if they change him and fans think they ruined part of his character and/or are making horrible retcons, than either way they have a right to complain about it.

By that same logic, shouldn't King Vegeta get a cool moment. Bardock occupies the "father to the main saiyans" role which he shares with King Vegeta and Paragus. Paragus also appears in the present making him inherently more important than KV and Bardock. Frieza appears in the present and is a much more developed character. He is also a powerful fighter, which makes him a very important character. Bardock has nothing going for him other than a completely unrelated TV special.

alakazam^
I Live Here

Post by alakazam^ » Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:54 pm

kudo6000 wrote:Why shouldn’t we take Freeza’s word for it? I don’t see what purpose there’d be in him not telling the truth. He seemed 100% genuine to me.
He probably misremembered, Burdock was just another monkey.
AnimeNation101 wrote:[Plus, why would it matter whether or not a character you love isn’t the center of attention in a movie? Whether he is or not, if they change him and fans think they ruined part of his character and/or are making horrible retcons, than either way they have a right to complain about it.
Complaining isn't a right, especially when it boils down to "I thought it was badass and now I think it isn't and can't deal with that fact". His fans need to understand that there are two different Burdocks now and Toriyama is going with the one he created.

RecolorSaiyan
Regular

Post by RecolorSaiyan » Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:16 pm

Anyone think Vegeta and Freeza will fight while Goku battles Broly?

CTAkuma
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by CTAkuma » Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:23 pm

RecolorSaiyan wrote:Anyone think Vegeta and Freeza will fight while Goku battles Broly?
Depends if the last fight "in a different dimension" is post Gogeta

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:37 pm

Bergamo wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote:

By that same logic, shouldn't King Vegeta get a cool moment. Bardock occupies the "father to the main saiyans" role which he shares with King Vegeta and Paragus. Paragus also appears in the present making him inherently more important than KV and Bardock. Frieza appears in the present and is a much more developed character. He is also a powerful fighter, which makes him a very important character. Bardock has nothing going for him other than a completely unrelated TV special.
Still doesn’t change the fact that Bardock’s importance in the movie is a piss poor argument against why people care about how they’re changing him.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:39 pm

alakazam^ wrote:
kudo6000 wrote:Why shouldn’t we take Freeza’s word for it? I don’t see what purpose there’d be in him not telling the truth. He seemed 100% genuine to me.
He probably misremembered, Burdock was just another monkey.
AnimeNation101 wrote:[Plus, why would it matter whether or not a character you love isn’t the center of attention in a movie? Whether he is or not, if they change him and fans think they ruined part of his character and/or are making horrible retcons, than either way they have a right to complain about it.
Complaining isn't a right, especially when it boils down to "I thought it was badass and now I think it isn't and can't deal with that fact". His fans need to understand that there are two different Burdocks now and Toriyama is going with the one he created.
??? Yeah, it is. Freedom of speech. What you’re basically saying is fans dont have a right to openly disagree with the decisions and changes made in a product they love and that they should just be quiet and take what they get silently.

No. Fans have a right to be mad at the retcon. Thats how its always been. Thats how it will always be.

Bebi Hatchiyack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bebi Hatchiyack » Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:01 pm

Noah wrote:
Consider this :D
Saiya-jin me, watashi ha kisama wo koroshimasu

Bergamo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bergamo » Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:03 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote:
Bergamo wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote: Because a major part of the movie is talking about the origins of the 3 saiyans and the history of the saiyans with Freeza and Bardock is a HUGE part of both of these topics.

Still doesn’t change the fact that Bardock’s importance in the movie is a piss poor argument against why people care about how they’re changing him.
The fact that Bardock isn't that important in DBS: Broly is a perfectly good reason for why people shouldn't be so upset at the movie for not making him "cool".