Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

supersaiyanZero
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by supersaiyanZero » Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:43 pm

GTx10 wrote:Also Hero playing during Son's battle with Beerus was amazing and we all know it. (Just saying)
I actually hated that. But to be fair, Super's soundtrack is largely uninspired garbage anyway.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:48 pm

You think it's sarcasm because I dislike the Super series? I'm not really a fan of DBS but this movie is infinitely superior to the DBS series in every way possible.

This feels Dragon Ball done right. Even Sumitomo is finally composing good DB music.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:15 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote:You think it's sarcasm because I dislike the Super series? I'm not really a fan of DBS but this movie is infinitely superior to the DBS series in every way possible.

This feels Dragon Ball done right. Even Sumitomo is finally composing good DB music.
You might want to quote the person you're responding to.

But yes, I immediately thought it was sarcasm because you're evaluation of DBS is so negative so another DBS product like this would presumably follow suit. Of course, this could very well be better, but still. I don't know if we can say "every way possible" quite yet considering that we don't know much about the actual plot of the movie.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:25 pm

Just heard the theme and gotta say, if there is something Dragon Ball almost never disappoints... It's the soundtracks. Loved the theme. :clap: I would prefer to say that Dragon Ball never disappoints, but then I remember Movie 14 and its version of the Cha-La Head Cha-La... Not so cool.

Also, I'm not digging the new Super Saiyan God aura. I prefer a more flame-like, exactly the way it was seen in Movie 14.

Still wanting a reason to get hyped for this movie and to go to the theater though, where is Bardock facing Freeza? Where is some Yamoshi lore? Where is some Tsufurujin lore? Where are some Bardock and King Vegeta in action? :|
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:37 pm

Grimlock wrote:Just heard the theme and gotta say, if there is something Dragon Ball almost never disappoints... It's the soundtracks. Loved the theme. :clap: I would prefer to say that Dragon Ball never disappoints, but then I remember Movie 14 and its version of the Cha-La Head Cha-La... Not so cool.

Also, I'm not digging the new Super Saiyan God aura. I prefer a more flame-like, exactly the way it was seen in Movie 14.

Still wanting a reason to get hyped for this movie and to go to the theater though, where is Bardock facing Freeza? Where is some Yamoshi lore? Where is some Tsufurujin lore? Where are some Bardock and King Vegeta in action? :|
Its not about Bardock, King Vegeta, the Tuffles, or Yamoshi (sadly). This is about the origins of the 3 saiyans Goku, Vegeta, and Broly and how their lives have lead up to this moment (the events in the present of the movie).
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:35 pm

Tsufurians were never really a part of the manga continuity, Tori just drew them for the anime like he did with a lot of Toei original stuff. Otherwise he obviously doesn't remember or care at all about them. Considering that nothing about them is interesting or unique in the slightest, it's not any big loss that they're not in this movie.

The same goes for Yamoshi. The only reason he exists is to provide context or reasoning in favor of Goku and Vegeta getting the God forms. That's why his name wasn't even stated in the film, he's not a character, he's a plot device. Needlessly delving into characters that aren't worth caring about in the slightest is how you create a boring slog of a film.

The fact is, this film is adapting Minus, which means it needs to put every single goddamn spare moment or resource it has into making that failed attempt at a Dragon Ball story into something presentable. Wasting time on anything other than the personality, motivation and emotions of the saiyans and Freeza force involved with the story is guaranteed to bring down the narrative.

Anyways, Blizzard is a very unconventional theme for Dragon Ball, but it slaps. It sounds much more "modern" for the series without being too generic, and suits this film's very updated and fresh-feeling production. It kind of feels like the song is punching you in the face...in a good way.
Last edited by Shaddy on Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:54 pm

I'm glad the trailer was legit. However, I still have to get use to seeing CGI in Dragonball.
Glad the story is being told through combat!

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:43 am

AnimeNation101 wrote:Its not about Bardock, King Vegeta, the Tuffles, or Yamoshi (sadly). This is about the origins of the 3 saiyans Goku, Vegeta, and Broly and how their lives have lead up to this moment (the events in the present of the movie).
I remember the first tagline for the movie being something more "general" during the announcement at Jump Festa last year ("the origin of Saiyans power" or something like that) rather than something focusing moe on main cast...

Like I've been always saying, it is a mistake putting the main cast/present part in this movie to begin with, it should focus on the past.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Son-Kakaroto
Temporarily Banned

Post by Son-Kakaroto » Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:20 am

JazzMazz wrote:
Son-Kakaroto wrote:
JazzMazz wrote: I mean, those movies, while having nice stuff, weren't really overtly animated, and I think, even just based on the trailers, that this movie has those movies covered in terms of animation(as expected) and them some.
The artstyle and movement of characters was much better asthetically for me.
I mean, the art in those films is great, but movement wise, its definitely not as well done. In this trailer alone, you could see a far greater attention to detail in little movements like clothes(Goku's jacket flying off) and secondary movement in how the complete an action that was not as apparent or well executed in prior Z films.
Yeah I think you are right, I just looked at some trailers comparison. I think I agree. The artstyle and the way they are presented back in Z made the product feel more "inspired" as if you are going to get a storyline, this movie seems more of it's just going to be "fun". The artstyle mix with the mood kinda deflates my excitment. I want an actual telling storyline, not just fan service. The artstyle in some scenes looks like video game graphics. It most be the movie is targeting younger audiences now, a shame. But yeah, the movement seems more lucid - but the artstyle, graphics and tone are a huge drop down. Plus the background scenery is very bland and unimaginative compared to the old days. The imagination of dragon ball has really dropped off then what it was in the old days.
this is by faaaar the best looking movie.
I don't think so.
What? How could you possibly watch this and conclude that movies 8,9,10 and 12 had better animation?
It's not imagination, I was wrong. The above post expalis the other factors.

Son-Kakaroto
Temporarily Banned

Post by Son-Kakaroto » Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:29 am

Doctor. wrote:
PFM18 wrote:
Son-Kakaroto wrote: I didn't really find the animation that captivating. I still think movie 12 had the best animation. Movie 8, 9 and 10 were good too.
What? How could you possibly watch this and conclude that movies 8,9,10 and 12 had better animation?
Doctor. wrote:The action scenes were fantastic and the CG didn't feel intrusive at all but I'm still worried about the story. I'm not a fan of the "Broly a good boy, he dindu nuffin" narrative they're pushing. I swear if they ruin Paragus and make him irredeemable.
Ruin Paragus? There isn't much to ruin. And I can't imagine he'll be THAT different from the movie either way. Broly's character and how it changed from the original is the focus here.
Paragus was a nuanced character. He was a parent who simultaneously loved and wanted the best for his son, and thought highly of him as the one who'd overthrow Freeza. After being betrayed by his king and years of being a victim to Broly's rampages, it's no wonder he lost what little humanity he had and came to see Broly as nothing more than a tool for his revenge. He was a well-realized character and this movie loses a dimension to him if he's just a dick who sees Broly as a tool from the start. Obviously though they could write Broly this way while keeping that dimension to Paragus, it wouldn't be hard and we'd have two good characters. Here's hoping.

Not to mention that Broly being a good boi who dindu nuffin and doesn't really like murdering goes against Saiyan nature. Saiyans love to fight, which this movie keeps reminding us, but Broly is actually a good person? Wait, what? Saiyans like to fight, and fighting gives a feeling of superiority over your opponent. That's why they're evil bastards who murder. Goku is the exception, not the rule. This recent Toriyama trend of whitewashing Saiyans doesn't sit well with me.

Then again, conjecture. I'll wait for the film.
Yeah, unfortunatly, I think I agree. If universe 6 sayains had that nature where they loved to fight but were always good hearted people, but it does not work sayains of bardocks/goku/broly/king vegetas generation. They were evil.
I specify the generation because universe 7 sayains weren't always evil. Way back they used to be good, but got overthrown by evil sayains which lead to the generation of mostly evil sayains.
Mercenary wrote:
PFM18 wrote:
That CGI shot of Goku/Vegeta side by side is getting me worried. I thought it looked pretty bad. Also, maybe it is yellow in the colored manga, but the Galick Gun not being purple doesnt sit right with me.

I'm still frightened that SSBE won't make an appearance and that would really disappoint me.

And I really don't want Whis to get involved in the fighting.

SSBE obviously won't make an appearance. It's just a Toei thing. Isn't that obvious at this point?

The manga continuity will get it's own version of the events, shouldn't it be obvious that this will be in the anime continuity of events? If Vegeta achieves a new form, and doesn't use it with no explanation, that causes continuity issues. It certainly appears at this point that he won't use it, but that pisses me off and I hope my intuition is wrong.
I know, it makes like no sense. And it just keeps these continiuty and "canon" arguments on-going. Because I've seen people say since ssj god vegeta is in it, and no kaioken and evolution. Therefore the manga is canon even though like all evidence points in a differnt direction. It just causes these continiuty issues and more infighting with fans when the fact is anime is main continuty and manga is secondary/alternative. I wish toei would be more dilligent on things like this. It's just going to cause confusion and infighting among at least us internet western fans. :lol:

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:14 am

Son-Kakaroto wrote:
JazzMazz wrote:
Son-Kakaroto wrote: The artstyle and movement of characters was much better asthetically for me.
I mean, the art in those films is great, but movement wise, its definitely not as well done. In this trailer alone, you could see a far greater attention to detail in little movements like clothes(Goku's jacket flying off) and secondary movement in how the complete an action that was not as apparent or well executed in prior Z films.
Yeah I think you are right, I just looked at some trailers comparison. I think I agree. The artstyle and the way they are presented back in Z made the product feel more "inspired" as if you are going to get a storyline, this movie seems more of it's just going to be "fun". The artstyle mix with the mood kinda deflates my excitment. I want an actual telling storyline, not just fan service. The artstyle in some scenes looks like video game graphics. It most be the movie is targeting younger audiences now, a shame. But yeah, the movement seems more lucid - but the artstyle, graphics and tone are a huge drop down. Plus the background scenery is very bland and unimaginative compared to the old days. The imagination of dragon ball has really dropped off then what it was in the old days.
I don't think so.
I wouldn't say they're a huge drop down artistically, I would just think its less detailed and more modern and lively than DB typically is, or hell, even in those movies. The "video-game" scenes are just CGI. As for the action, I don't think its going to be toned down in the slightest, so I would fully expect easily the most dramatic and dynamic action sequences in the series from this film. I keep on hearing the "the art style is more childish", but at the same time, we're getting expressions that are FAR more intense than anything we'd ever really gotten from those aforementioned movies.

I would argue this is an upgrade for DB, funnily enough achieved through streamlining the designs to not only make them more accessible and animatable, but also far more expressive, and allowing for far more intensity if necessary.
Doctor. wrote:The action scenes were fantastic and the CG didn't feel intrusive at all but I'm still worried about the story. I'm not a fan of the "Broly a good boy, he dindu nuffin" narrative they're pushing. I swear if they ruin Paragus and make him irredeemable.
I mean, he was described as a tragic character, so I presume his very much like his earlier counter-part(except a bit less control freakish and a bit more bitter) if they desire for his tragedy to have a real effect...

Paragus doesn't need to be evil, for Broly to have natural unrequited and destructive urges beyond his control...

Son-Kakaroto
Temporarily Banned

Post by Son-Kakaroto » Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:06 am

JazzMazz wrote:
Son-Kakaroto wrote:
JazzMazz wrote: I mean, the art in those films is great, but movement wise, its definitely not as well done. In this trailer alone, you could see a far greater attention to detail in little movements like clothes(Goku's jacket flying off) and secondary movement in how the complete an action that was not as apparent or well executed in prior Z films.
I don't think so.
I wouldn't say they're a huge drop down artistically, I would just think its less detailed and more modern and lively than DB typically is, or hell, even in those movies. The "video-game" scenes are just CGI. As for the action, I don't think its going to be toned down in the slightest, so I would fully expect easily the most dramatic and dynamic action sequences in the series from this film. I keep on hearing the "the art style is more childish", but at the same time, we're getting expressions that are FAR more intense than anything we'd ever really gotten from those aforementioned movies.

I would argue this is an upgrade for DB, funnily enough achieved through streamlining the designs to not only make them more accessible and animatable, but also far more expressive, and allowing for far more intensity if necessary.
I mean, he was described as a tragic character, so I presume his very much like his earlier counter-part(except a bit less control freakish and a bit more bitter) if they desire for his tragedy to have a real effect...

Paragus doesn't need to be evil, for Broly to have natural unrequited and destructive urges beyond his control...
Yeah I don't agree with that very much, but whatever. Super is still good

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:13 am

Does anyone else like the sound of Broly’s voice when he screams in this trailer aswell? I really digged it!

CTAkuma
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by CTAkuma » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:03 am

GodVegetto91 wrote:Does anyone else like the sound of Broly’s voice when he screams in this trailer aswell? I really digged it!
Bin Shimada is a great VA and he nails Broly decades later from his last animated appearence, sad that he doesn't get more roles outside of Dragonball or One Piece

Big Black Sayian
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Big Black Sayian » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:41 am

So I like the Blizzard song after listening to it a few times on Spotify. Although I can see why some folks don't thing it.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:01 pm

I think the reason Goku stands out as CGI in that one shot is the mouth. There aren't enough mouth flaps for what he's saying and the way he's rendered means the teeth are fixed his mouth. Vegeta looks a lot better in that shot and I think it's because his mouth is turned from the camera.

I'm not too worried about it myself. The models are very close to the character sheets and overall look very good. Nothing like those shitty RoF models. They even squash and stretch! What we see in this trailer also isn't necessarily the finall render. This trailer had to be cut together from existing footage and we don't know when they put this together. Last minute touch ups and good compositing make a world of difference.

miguelnuva1
I Live Here

Post by miguelnuva1 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:28 pm

This might change after the film but if Broly does go good I hope he temporary loses his legendary form till Goku, Vegeta and the villians level up again.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:31 pm

miguelnuva1 wrote:This might change after the film but if Broly does go good I hope he temporary loses his legendary form till Goku, Vegeta and the villians level up again.
Yeah it would be really hard to have Broly part of the main cast while still somehow keeping him as the second fiddle behind Goku. Broly would have to be nerfed somehow.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:43 pm

PFM18 wrote:
miguelnuva1 wrote:This might change after the film but if Broly does go good I hope he temporary loses his legendary form till Goku, Vegeta and the villians level up again.
Yeah it would be really hard to have Broly part of the main cast while still somehow keeping him as the second fiddle behind Goku. Broly would have to be nerfed somehow.
I'm guessing he'd just be a loose canon while he can't control the form, like the Hulk. So while he may be a powerhouse, it probably wouldn't be advantageous to have him transform since you never know who he'll attack.

This, of course, assuming that if he stays alive, he'll even join the main cast. It's possible he'll just stay alive doing his own thing like Hit, Jiren, Freeza and others.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:54 pm

Doctor. wrote:
PFM18 wrote:
I'm guessing he'd just be a loose canon while he can't control the form, like the Hulk. So while he may be a powerhouse, it probably wouldn't be advantageous to have him transform since you never know who he'll attack.

This, of course, assuming that if he stays alive, he'll even join the main cast. It's possible he'll just stay alive doing his own thing like Hit, Jiren, Freeza and others.
That makes sense. Make Broly a double-edged sword, or a "use at your own risk" kind of thing.

See Hit and Jiren are different are because they are in different Universes. In Freeza's case he's "doing his own thing" by plotting off in space and shit so he still ends up apparently playing an integral role in the story.