Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

BrolySSJL
Not-So-Newbie

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by BrolySSJL » Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:38 pm

superfan2024 wrote:
dbzfan7 wrote:
superfan2024 wrote:
How is it sad? Broly was wrecking Goku and Vegeta's shits before they fused.
Because the form Broly is most famous for, amounts to just getting shit stomped when it finally appears. That kinda blows.
But in DBZ Movie 8, once Goku took the ki from each of the fighters, he killed Broly in one punch.
The most Deus ex machina of the entire DB universe :lol:

Jackalope89
Advanced Regular

Post by Jackalope89 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:35 pm

superfan2024 wrote:
dbzfan7 wrote:
superfan2024 wrote:
Because the form Broly is most famous for, amounts to just getting shit stomped when it finally appears. That kinda blows.
But in DBZ Movie 8, once Goku took the ki from each of the fighters, he killed Broly in one punch.
Goku is the REAL One Punch Man.

MKCSTEALTH
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MKCSTEALTH » Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:53 pm

dbzfan7 wrote:
superfan2024 wrote:
dbzfan7 wrote:
I'd say sad. I guess you could put it having a similar circumstance to Super Saiyan God. I mean Beerus didn't stomp Goku, even though he could have. But it sounds disappointing to have Gogeta win badly. I'm sure that's one of the reasons people preferred Vegetto vs Zamasu in the anime to the manga. In the anime it doesn't feel nearly as much as a stomp as it was in the Manga. It was kinda refreshing for a fusion at least in power to not be the end all be all like in most other showings. But hopefully Broly gets a good fight in before going down.

I mean, when he appears and begins to fight, the two of them are supposedly shattering dimensions. So I still expect it to be a spectacle to see on the big screen

Jmass97
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Jmass97 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:03 pm

Terez wrote:
Thanks!
dbzfan7 wrote:
superfan2024 wrote: How is it sad? Broly was wrecking Goku and Vegeta's shits before they fused.
Unless you are of the opinion that the focus on his FP form is a big part of what made him such a shit character in the first place. Then it's great. The focus in this movie is on Broly's human side, his abusive relationship with his father, and the contrast between his life and the lives of his fellow Saiyan survivors. The fact that his FP form forced Gogeta to skip straight from SS to SSB says quite enough about his obscene strength, but Gogeta was only ever there to put him out of his misery. In that sense, it's a great parallel to M12.
I agree! Having a post TOP fusion need to go from ssj to blue is a huge indicator of the gap between Broly’s normal ssj form to his full power form. Having to skip 2 3 and God is insane and although Broly lost he was still rising in power so we still don’t know how strong he really is tbh. It proves his insane strength while also giving fusion a win! And I’m all for that.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:59 pm

superfan2024 wrote:
dbzfan7 wrote:
superfan2024 wrote:
Yeah but that's after Legendary Super Saiyan Broly lol'd stomped the Z Senshi.

YamiGoku
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by YamiGoku » Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:13 pm

New Music Video

For a second i thought they would show the whole movie.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:26 pm

All that new footage~! :mrgreen:
It's so pretty!
Also I'm happy there's more Takahashi ssjg Gokû to look forward to! Yay!
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:49 pm

God damn the shot composition in this movie is so amazing. The entire production team should give themselves a pat on the back.

IM21
Banned

Post by IM21 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:54 pm

I can already see some guys will start bitching about Takahashi vs Shintani and how art is not consistent in the movie. I pretty much don't really care about that. The CGI on another hand looks bad.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:35 pm

So, the AGES suddenly appears on-screen but... What? :crazy:

That AGE 737 refers to what? Goku's year of birth? Destruction of planet Vegeta? Goku arrival on Earth? What was the point showing it if it doesn't even make sense?
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

mahakaishin1991
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by mahakaishin1991 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:58 pm

So there's an image of Paragus floating around and I have to ask, is that...

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:59 pm

There's too much CGI for such unnecessary things.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

OverHeaven
Beyond Newbie

Post by OverHeaven » Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:00 pm

Is it possible for us to get tickets for the Los Angeles screening in Dec 13? Seems like I need some access code to get the ticket.

GTx10
Regular

Post by GTx10 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:31 pm

Goku shifting into SSGod mode was cool as was a passed out eyes open SSGod Goku lying on the floor. But I'm still not a fan of Shintani's art, it just looks too cartoony. I heard he did art for Dragon Ball (original) and I LOVE DB (Original's ) look but yet here it looks so stretchy and blob like. By that logic, Takashi's detail is jarring and almost gaudy when pitted next to Shintani's work.
Freeza looks great in every shot as does Broly and I kind of like the CGI the most. It reminds me of Infinite World's opening. Also Gogeta my boy you just won't appear huh?
"Good luck, Kakarrot... You are the Champion!!" Vegeta DBZ ShonenJump Manga Volume 26 p.113

I'm reviewing Dragon Ball! Both the Jap ver. and Uncut Funi Dub! Check out the thread: http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=31208

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:42 pm

Shaddy wrote:God damn the shot composition in this movie is so amazing. The entire production team should give themselves a pat on the back.
I know. It is absolutely gorgeous.

Still stoked for this movie despite knowing everything about it lol.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:43 pm

YamiGoku wrote:New Music Video

For a second i thought they would show the whole movie.
Visuals look nice. I'm glad they are saving the fight choreography for the actual movie.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:38 pm

superfan2024 wrote:
dbzfan7 wrote:
superfan2024 wrote:
At the end. Goku didn't just dominate him til the end and then one punch.
Terez wrote:
Thanks!
dbzfan7 wrote:
superfan2024 wrote: How is it sad? Broly was wrecking Goku and Vegeta's shits before they fused.
Unless you are of the opinion that the focus on his FP form is a big part of what made him such a shit character in the first place. Then it's great. The focus in this movie is on Broly's human side, his abusive relationship with his father, and the contrast between his life and the lives of his fellow Saiyan survivors. The fact that his FP form forced Gogeta to skip straight from SS to SSB says quite enough about his obscene strength, but Gogeta was only ever there to put him out of his misery. In that sense, it's a great parallel to M12.
I'm not. I find it both the typical fusion battle as well as just throwing out the unique form people like I enjoyed from the past. I think we should have gotten a closer fight rather than a complete stomp. I do think though on one hand it is a contrast to Broly dominates til a deus ex finishes him off, but I ain't a fan of his iconic state being demolished.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

Artorias
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Artorias » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:53 pm

I agree with the sentiment that is being expressed by many that Full Power Broly getting stomped is weird and disappointing, but at the same time....does anyone else feel like this is really meta? 99% chance it's not actually self-aware Toei, but this is the only thing about Broly that was brought over from the old films. And this big, dumb, iconic form that defined the character and represented everything wrong with him for decades just getting pooped on immediately strikes me as hilariously self-aware and the ultimate meta commentary.

zarmack
Banned Alternate Account

Post by zarmack » Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:22 am

Artorias wrote:I agree with the sentiment that is being expressed by many that Full Power Broly getting stomped is weird and disappointing, but at the same time....does anyone else feel like this is really meta? 99% chance it's not actually self-aware Toei, but this is the only thing about Broly that was brought over from the old films. And this big, dumb, iconic form that defined the character and represented everything wrong with him for decades just getting pooped on immediately strikes me as hilariously self-aware and the ultimate meta commentary.
It doesn't work as intended meta commentary. Because if it was, they would have reused the personality traits and storyline of the old Z-Broly for the film to (in)directly call out and mock it, instead of just having him get beat up in is most famous form.

Artorias
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Artorias » Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:36 am

zarmack wrote:
Artorias wrote:I agree with the sentiment that is being expressed by many that Full Power Broly getting stomped is weird and disappointing, but at the same time....does anyone else feel like this is really meta? 99% chance it's not actually self-aware Toei, but this is the only thing about Broly that was brought over from the old films. And this big, dumb, iconic form that defined the character and represented everything wrong with him for decades just getting pooped on immediately strikes me as hilariously self-aware and the ultimate meta commentary.
It doesn't work as intended meta commentary. Because if it was, they would have reused the personality traits and storyline of the old Z-Broly for the film to (in)directly call out and mock it, instead of just having him get beat up in is most famous form.
I know its almost guaranteed not actually meta, I just found it poetically funny that the one major thing from the old films gets promptly stomped out.