Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Zelvin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by Zelvin » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:48 pm

ironfist2020 wrote: To remind you goku went toe to toe with beerus in his ssj god form
And to remind you, Beerus saying he was using 70% of his strength was an outright lie that Whis pokes fun at Beerus for, making it clear that Beerus is actually far more powerful and that, as the Movie made much clearer, that Beerus was just training Goku. He wasn't fighting seriously.
mute_proxy wrote:"In Japanese Cabba says "legendary Saiyan", but the Viz translation changes this to "legendary Super Saiyan". Sounds minor, but it was a whole plot point earlier that Cabba and the other U6 Saiyans had never heard the term "Super Saiyan" before meeting Goku and co." By Herms.
Since Kale is officially the Legendary Saiyan in U6, Broly is most likely The Legendary Saiyan in U7.
Kale isn't really officially anything. We tend to ignore Toyotaro's manga because...he's literally just doing whatever he wants with it and it doesn't line up with the Anime.
PS3 Xenoverse Player
PS4 Xenoverse 2 Player
PSN ID: ReiKai_Onimusha
Main Character: Zelvin
Race: Frost Demon
"In space, no one can hear you scream. But you still make one ugly face."

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:36 am

Zelvin wrote:
mute_proxy wrote:"In Japanese Cabba says "legendary Saiyan", but the Viz translation changes this to "legendary Super Saiyan". Sounds minor, but it was a whole plot point earlier that Cabba and the other U6 Saiyans had never heard the term "Super Saiyan" before meeting Goku and co." By Herms.
Since Kale is officially the Legendary Saiyan in U6, Broly is most likely The Legendary Saiyan in U7.
Kale isn't really officially anything. We tend to ignore Toyotaro's manga because...he's literally just doing whatever he wants with it and it doesn't line up with the Anime.
Huh? I don't remember saying that, I think you quoted the wrong person

Melkaniator
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Melkaniator » Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:54 am

mute_proxy wrote:
Melkaniator wrote: Well, it's not like Goku was the 1st super Saiya-jin, the 1st one was before Broly's time, Yamoshi, and they were still talking about it after.
Yes, it was Yamoshi, and during those hundreds of years after him, there was nothing, that's how Super Saiyan became a legend, but after Goku, everyone got it so it stopped being anything legendary :problem: though Yamoshi's legend still remains. We need a Yamoshi movie (preferably not involving time travel or the current cast)
The thing is, Akira/Toei still imply the Legendary Super Saiya-jin as an specific transformation is a thing.

Vegeta says Kēru's "berserk" form might the the Saiya-jin's true form, Cabba says she might be the Saiya-jin from legend, Kēru is the only one to get it in U6, Broly is the only one to get it in U7.

Of course you can also claim those are different forms, apparently those already got different official names (which makes me eyeroll due to similarities).

Anyway, Akira would never make a movie without Goku, so a Yamoshi movie without current cast is but a dream...

...a good dream though.

Bardock's crew idea from Toyotaro adds to my conviction that Bardock's special could be fused with Akira's DBM to make it better.

Akira's logic, Toei's awesomeness, why can't Bardock's story have both in the same version?

IMHO, Broly's story should've been on the episodes, ToP should've been a movie, that would've gave Bardock's and Broly's story more time to develop, and ToP wouldn't have been so unfocused, plus it fits completely with the 40 minutes limit that never made sense from the beginning.
DBS anime is a fan service series that delivers irrelevant dialogue, inconsistent writing, and lazy designs.

The DB manga never had so many mistakes, nor those were this constant.

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Post by Lord Frieza » Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:19 pm

Today’s the day. I’ll be seeing the film in just a few hours.

GTx10
Regular

Post by GTx10 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:49 pm

Grimlock wrote:
SSJgogeto wrote:But if there's no canon then Bardock with headband in the manga means nothing.
In the greater scheme of things, it really doesn't when you put it that way. I told why I would prefer for Bardock to keep his headband, others would tell you their preferences as to why Bardock should remain with his headband and others will tell you that it doesn't matter if he wears it or not. It's all opinion, it has nothing to do with canonicity.
GTx10 wrote:Says who?
Says the lack of an official establishment.
GTx10 wrote:If I were to say "Goku and Bulma hunt for the Dragon Balls (Pilaf Saga) then later Goku fights in a Tournament. That would indicate continuity, thus a canon. A set of rules or steps in which Goku gets from point A to point B. You can't say "Goku fights in a Tournament then looks for the Dragon Balls with Bulma" (Pilaf Saga) because that isn't what happened. So DB does have a Canon of events.
You blatantly don't know the clear difference that exists between "canonicity" and "continuity". I would highly suggest you to meticulously look up for the difference and learn what they mean.
I will do no such thing. The two are intertwined terms and can branch into each other. Using the Judeo-Christian Bible for example: The Book of Esther is within the Bible's Canon while the book of Enoch is not. (For the most part...)
So the DB Manga is within Toriyama's Canon (and canon of events) while the Cooler's Revenge Movie is not. So yes DB has a Canon. Goku's training at God's palace taught him energy feeling, something that series goes nuts with later. Facts and details that only a Canon would care to indulge. Modern DB does re-write it's established lore but that doesn't mean DB doesn't have a set of rules or events that predated this modern take.
"Good luck, Kakarrot... You are the Champion!!" Vegeta DBZ ShonenJump Manga Volume 26 p.113

I'm reviewing Dragon Ball! Both the Jap ver. and Uncut Funi Dub! Check out the thread: http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=31208

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:38 pm

I figured this would be the best place to put this: Movie pundits quite impressed with Broly's showing in the box office:

https://youtu.be/6_R2t9IbM0c?t=574

https://youtu.be/e71JIXofieQ?t=380

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:47 pm

Right so wow where do I even begin?

Freeza and Cheelai stole the show for me, I know the twi big guns were Broly & Gogeta and they were awesome but I didn't expect Freeza to be well himself, the 5cm gag had me in so many stitches I just wasn't expecting that :lol: Cheelai was pretty damn awesome and made me pissed that they decided to merch Raditz and Nappa who appeared for like 3 seconds!

Disappointed in Bulma's role felt like she was there just 'cuz at least would have liked her to have been looking for the final ball while the fighting was going on.

Loved the way they cycled through the forms. Vegeta SS to God was a my favourite that was the definition of divinity. I didn't like how Broly went FP and Gogeta went Blue felt like it wasn't a big deal just happened and also didn't like how the battle damage was depicted one moment they have their clothes on next they are gone.

Broly Anger being controlled Great Ape aka SS4 was a massive surprise! I never expected any explanation for it much less on that made sense and a better more logical SS4. Never doubt Toriyama.

Also never expected that story about the pelt, thought Broly killed the monster and kept it as a trophy! So that was a welcomed surprise too.

Paragus' death was fantastic!! Freeza man!

On the minus stuff, this is honestly where I felt most the cuts came in and omg imagine my shock when "Bardock's last stand" the thing fans were crying about since trailer 2 was in the film. People just never learn do they? Anyway loved all the flashback stuff.

Gogeta. Was pretty damn awesome. Favourite fusion now? Most definitely! This basically fixed all the problems I had with fusions so yeah very happy.

The ending, I had an inkling that Broly would survive but didn't expect Cheelai to save him via DBs also never expected Goku to show up on Vampa, and "call me Kakarot" at the end was perfect way to wrap up!

Movie deserves all the plaudits and success it is getting!

Also Bandai f**king spoiled me on Veku and SkinnyKu for showing of a set that doesn't come out until July. It's like they want me to keep hating on them or something :roll:

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:16 pm

Gonna be honest, Cheelai was kind of the worst part about this movie for me. 90% of her dialogue was screeching about Paragus being a dick. He partner, on the other hand, was pretty cool, especially at the end where he's like "Stay back, Goku. I'VE GOT A HAMMER AND I'M NOT AFRAID TO USE IT!"
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:18 pm

superfan2024 wrote:
Broli Broly wrote:
mute_proxy wrote:
It's implied by the doctors that he might become the legendary Super Saiyan (A.K.A. Super Saiyan of legend. Not a separate form), because he had so much power as a baby. Though he never became one. Goku became the legendary Super Saiyan after which it stopped being a legendary.
The Legendary Super Saiyan Form no longer exists. However, the concept of "The Legendary Saiyan" exists officially:
"In Japanese Cabba says "legendary Saiyan", but the Viz translation changes this to "legendary Super Saiyan". Sounds minor, but it was a whole plot point earlier that Cabba and the other U6 Saiyans had never heard the term "Super Saiyan" before meeting Goku and co." By Herms.
It’s still weird, because even with the dufferences in the spelling, Cabba and Caulifa still talk about the Saiyan that appears every 1000 years, and that just confuses everything even further.
Except that’s in the manga. In the anime which is the primary base of the movie, no such comment is made. That and Cabba’s own statement seems odd since he didn’t know what a Super Saiyan was, but identify something as Legendary Saiyan.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

MKCSTEALTH
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MKCSTEALTH » Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:22 pm

I fear Kale and Broly's forms will fall into the category of "Things that exist that shall never be explained" along with Super Saiyan Rage, Trunk's Spirit Bomb, Goku gaining stamina from fighting, and Broly's Wrathful Form. It looks cool, but forget an explanation for it

In my headcanon, I feel it is due to a Saiyan having an excess of midicholorians S-Cells at birth, and due to this anomaly or, dare I say mutation, this causes the Saiyan to "Berserk" out and have green haired Super Saiyan forms

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:43 pm

Going through the thread and lmao @ everyone getting excited over that fake Cooler spoiler. :lol:

===
MKCSTEALTH wrote:I fear Kale and Broly's forms will fall into the category of "Things that exist that shall never be explained" along with Super Saiyan Rage, Trunk's Spirit Bomb, Goku gaining stamina from fighting, and Broly's Wrathful Form. It looks cool, but forget an explanation for it

In my headcanon, I feel it is due to a Saiyan having an excess of midicholorians S-Cells at birth, and due to this anomaly or, dare I say mutation, this causes the Saiyan to "Berserk" out and have green haired Super Saiyan forms
Broly Anger did get explained though. Unless you mean how he was able to do it?

foxfang4
Beyond Newbie

Post by foxfang4 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:04 pm

Isn't it kind of weird that in 41 years, Broly and Paragus basically didn't move from that 1 spot? Unless, maybe they did leave, and periodically came back to the ship because of a) safety, and b) the rescue beacon?

SX10
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SX10 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:47 pm

Just saw the movie and had to say, what a beautiful film inside and out. The animation was a highlight of everything I ever loved about the art style of this world and the story had some great depth.

I was sure we were getting an exciting movie but never thought it would be a moving experience too. Pretty much have always hated Broly as a character and concept, was very skeptical of how he'd be retooled but I love this character now. Never saw that coming. Toriyama not only folded him into the canon but deepened the entire mythos as well. Superb.
"Four eyes, ever had four black eyes?" -- Brian Drummond's Vegeta

https://youtu.be/5TW1njkk52Q -- Dragon Ball Sheep

RecolorSaiyan
Regular

Post by RecolorSaiyan » Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:03 pm

>Counterpart theory meme

Kale and Broly are not the same. "b b But muh green hair". They have totally different super saiyan forms seeing as how kale's is green hair with yellow aura and broly's is the opposite. #2 broly has oozaru power which kale doesn't. Secondly u6 has different myths. Their "legendary saiyan" as described by cabba was just an out of control saiyan with infinitely growing power who would die. He didn't think there was a transformation for that which is why it doesn't contradict him not knowing about super saiyan. As far as broly there is no "lssj" form. He's a super saiyan with the power of oozaru, notice how once he went "wrathful" his aura turned green which he kept throughout, in his base his aura was white like goku and vegeta's normally is.

TLDR. Broly isn't the lSSJ , he's just a mutant who is able to go ssj with the power of oozaru

KinguKurimuzon
Beyond Newbie

Post by KinguKurimuzon » Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:04 pm

I got to see it in a theater last night, and it was really good. I have a lot of respect for any film whose second half is non-stop action, especially when it looks as fantastic as this, my only real problems are the weak writing and the weird pacing. It's a bit ridiculous for a film's first 25 minutes to be stuck in flashbacks, especially when maybe 30 percent of it is actually relevant to the plot. I probably would've started the flashback at Paragus walking into the throne room, have him take off alone and find Broly on Vampa immediately, then jump right into present day. Hell, I probably would've moved that scene somewhere near the middle of the movie to give Broly and Paragus some mystery. I also don't get why they tried to build up Frieza so much when not only has he not been a credible threat since RoF, but he's not even that important to the movie. Minus had no bearing on the story, and it was infuriating to see them shoehorn in Bardock's last stand and death when there was zero buildup to it. Maybe all that stuff could've worked if the movie made a point of contrasting the circumstances of the three Saiyans' births, but I've heard that Toriyama actually wrote the script to be three hours long (which is crazy enough for a character driven movie like Amadeus or Caligula, and absolutely absurd for a DB movie), so maybe there was more to that in the script. I have a few other nitpicks, but none of that shit really harms the movie. I love what they did with Broly's character here, and it's great how brutal they made the fight look even without any blood. Even the transformations look violent, like god damn. I can't wait to watch it again when it comes out on Blu-Ray.
"Are you trying to impress me with your transformation sequence?" - Mashymre Cello

Zelvin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Zelvin » Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:44 pm

mute_proxy wrote: Huh? I don't remember saying that, I think you quoted the wrong person
Yeah sorry, picking and editing on my phone at the time was crap. My fault there.
MKCSTEALTH wrote:I fear Kale and Broly's forms will fall into the category of "Things that exist that shall never be explained" along with Super Saiyan Rage, Trunk's Spirit Bomb, Goku gaining stamina from fighting, and Broly's Wrathful Form. It looks cool, but forget an explanation for it
Broly's Ikari state could easily be explained by Broly being a deviation from the norm. Hence his abnormal power. Further stimulated by the decades he spent on Vampa, where his body was constantly bombarded with blutz waves, what with that natural satellite almost constantly in orbit around Vampa (or the other way around seeing as Vampa is a planetoid and not an actual planet). He's so saturated with blutz waves that his body has adjusted to the point he can trigger the Ikari power on his own without any further outside sources.

As for Trunks' SSR, well it can be explained as him being a hybrid Saiyan and not full-blooded. Like, Gohan would've been capable of it had he not gone the route of Mystic/Ultimate. Instead of turning SS3 from the rage pushing him passed his limits, he acquired the SSR state since he lacks the ability to turn SS3. (at least in the Canon, since they toss SS3 onto him in Heroes).
PS3 Xenoverse Player
PS4 Xenoverse 2 Player
PSN ID: ReiKai_Onimusha
Main Character: Zelvin
Race: Frost Demon
"In space, no one can hear you scream. But you still make one ugly face."

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:41 pm

Okay, I've seen the movie in jolly old London and here are some scattered thoughts:

- I enjoyed the exploration of how the change in leadership with regards to the Saiyan race had small but significant shift to the personality of King Vegeta. He was already a man that was overflowing with pride and sense of superiority among his race, that seeing a nobody -- from his point of view -- could have a latent power far beyond his own son, despite his son being born from a royal bloodline. King Vegeta was a very insecure person, and Broly's high battle power at such a young age lead to that horrible green-eyed monster being born within him. Paragus calling him out on his decision to exile Broly because of his high battle power being fueled by resentment toward Paragus' son having more potential than King Vegeta served a good platform. Speaking of Paragus...

- I really enjoyed Paragus in the film. I liked that the more overt approach to his desire for revenge against King Vegeta for condemning his son to basically a fate worse than death. At the same time, he displayed a level of ruthlessness that as subtle reminder of innate Saiyan instinstic, as well as his desire to survive. No scene captures this better than when it was made clear that Paragus, Beets and Broly would be stranded on an isolated planet with limited supplies and Paragus kills Beets in cold blood to makes sure himself and his some have enough provisions to survive. It's cold hearted, but at the same time sympathetic and even justifiable, given the dire situation and how much effort Paragus had put into finding and saving his son. At the same time, he's fully aware of how his son can fly off the handle and lose himself in battle, so he makes sure the rule with an iron first -- with the aid of a shock collar -- to protect himself, domesticate Broly, and in the faint hope he has a chance for revenge, ensure Broly is a manageable vehicle for his vengeance.

-- With how Paragus was stranded on a remote planet for decades, with seemingly no hope for rescue or escape, his more jaded and authoritarian approach to parenting is made all the more tragic. Paragus is a man who was driven by vengeance based on the envy towards his son from those in a higher social standing. And when the opportunity for revenge -- even by proxy -- appeared, he had no issues with displaying a stricter and harsher hand in dealing with his son so that all the years he waited for this opportunity wouldn't be nothing. Yet when he realized that his son may be killed in combat against Vegeta, he wanted to save him. then following Broly's transformation into Super Saiyan, it became clear that King Vegeta had some justification in exling Broly. Paragus really is in that grey area of being a character who you can sympathise with, but at the same time question his decision making.

- I hate Dragon Ball Minus and the inclusion of that in the movie did nothing but pad out the run time. It really was out of place in a movie centred around Broly and Paragus' personal conflict with King Vegeta to have the origin story of Goku. I can only imagine that was thrown into movie to garner a nostalgia pop for Bardock and have that famous of his fight back against Freeza. But there's not build up to that moment, at least from Bardock's perspective. I mean, he assumes (correctly) that Freeza is planning something sinister against the Saiyan's.

-- But the movie doesn't do anything with that beyond having that memorable moment of him trying in vain to prevent Freeza's Death Ball killing all the Saiyans. To matters even more confusing, in the moment where Bardock attempts to stop Freeza from destroying Planet Vegeta, Bardock's armour is damaged quite badly, implying that some of the events of the 1990 Toei TV special happened. So it's like the movie wanted have its cake and eat it too with regards to Bardock's perspective in the story. I tried to two thing at once with the inclusion of elements of Minus and of the 1990 TV special, but the result was an uneven, undercooked subplot that adds nothing to the story.

- Broly is a wonderfully nuanced character. He exuberates n Tarzan like characteristic that makes him endearing. His transformations are still based upon intense emotion, but they're derived from more compassionate areas, while also not straying away from his carnal and innate instincts as a Saiyan. His love and respect for his father serving as a vehicle for most of Broly actions provides a nice dynamic between Paragus and Broly. Broly has some understanding that how his father has been treating him isn't appropriate, but still respects and care him greatly. Broly's anger leading into his transformation into a Super Saiyan following his Paragus' death serves as a palpable encapsulation of broly's feeling towards his father: genuine love and concern for his well-being.

- Broly in this movie serves a more of a parallel for how Goku may have turned out if he never met Bulma or any other person growing up and kept himself isolated in the areas of Mount Paozu. He's a child trapped in a man's body. Whose limited contact with life beyond his father and wild animals has led to him being socially inept. It's also led to him falling back on his immense strength as a defence mechanism and default response to situations that may appear hostile or are just so foreign to him that he's incapable of deciding how to react to it, so he instinctively fall back on his Saiyan nature of mindless fighting. Outside of combat, Broly, for the brief moments it's shown, is quite a docile and even friendly Saiyan who just needed a better environment to grow up in. I do find it quite disappointing that in the last 40 minutes of the film, Broly pretty much because this

- Cheelai and Lemo with work well as foils to Broly. It was rare to see a non-combatant character play such an instrumental role in the plot of Dragon Ball movies, but I enjoyed their scene time. Cheelai and Lemo provided so nice character analysis for Broly, as well as forming a bond with him that felt earnest. Lemo had a bit of "I'm getting too old for this" vibe to him that I dug a lot. Cheelai as well was very abrasive and somewhat confrontational, but it never got too over the top.

- Freeza was excellent in the movie... for the most part. He fit the role of magnificent bastard wonderfully in the movie. Him manipulating Broly -- to point of killing Paragus to hopefully get an emotional rise from Broly and have his power surge like Goku did when he killed Krillin -- and using him in general as a vehicle for his revenge serviced his cunning and diabolical traits excellently. He thankfully has some laser-guided karma dealt to him with Broly beating the shit out of him for an hour. Which I would have wanted to have seen more of in the movie. But just how Goku and Vegeta’s battle with Broly smoothly and hilariously transitions into Freeza having to fight Broly was enough to satisfy me, with regards to Freeza getting physical with Broly. That being said...

- Freeza’s wish was dumb. Very dumb. Even as a meta joke to whole "5 minutes" scenario back on Namek. The lampshade hanging provided in the movie about the circumstances of the wish save that wish from being a major negative against the movie. But given how this motivation is what spearheads Freeza’s involvement in the movie and ultimately serves as the indirect reason for Broly’s survival by the end of the movie, this is a blemish against Freeza’s character that can’t be ignored. It's bad character writing for the sake of a gag. Unfortunately, Dragon Ball Super has done this to a few character already in both the anime and manga under Toriyama's supervision, so it's sadly par for the course.

- There really wasn’t much to speak of about Goku and Vegeta in the movie. They were pretty vanilla in terms of characterisation. I did enjoy Goku and Vegeta’s keen observations of Broly abilities in combat, and Goku extra observation of Broly personality.

- This has been mentioned a million times, but the animation, direction and storyboarding are exceptional. The best animated scene in the movie was without a doubt Goku fighting Broly in and ice mountain area. It’s a shame that the CGI stuck out. It’s not as out of place as it was in Battle Of Gods or Resurrection F, but it’s still quite noticeable.

- This movie treated Super Saiyan God and Super Saiyan Blue with more weight in battle than in any other occasion the forms have been featured in since their introductions in Battle Of Gods and Resurrection F. I mean, Goku’s transformation into Super Saiyan Blue in this movie was better than his transformation into the form in the movie that Super Saiyan Blue debuted in.

- Bulma, Whis and Beerus really felt extended cameos in the films as opposed to being actual parts of the supporting cast. They really brought nothing to the story of any interest.

- Sumitomo provided his best work by leaps and bounds. His score for the movie was fantastic.

- Thematically speaking, the movie is quite undeveloped and conflicted with itself. Ultimately, the movie wants to have the audience feel pity for Broly having to fight in circumstances where it's clear he doesn't want to. But at the same time, the movie wants the audience to relish in Goku and Vegeta fusing to fight back against Broly, and having Gogeta beat the shit out of Broly. The movie wants to have it both ways, but it simply can't. Or, in actuality, it doesn't spend enough time providing a real grey and gray morality to make the opposing sides involvement in the conflict ambiguous enough. This leads to a real lack of any catharsis or satisfaction in the climactic battle with Goku, Vegeta and Broly that doesn't feel superficial. I don't get any personal gratification from Gogeta smacking around Broly despite the film building up to that moment.

- I'm happy that Broly didn't bite the dust as it gives him more room for development. I just hope that future stories utilize him well and this isn't a one-and-done kind of deal with Broly. They've got a good going with him right now that it would be a huge waste to not do anything with him beyond this movie.

9/10

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:52 am

Was Gogeta calling himself a fusion of Kakarrot and Vegeta in the Japanese version? If so, it's an error that makes no sense, because he's Gogeta because he addresses Goku by his Earthling name. He also seemed straight up exactly like Vegetto, which kind of makes sense since they're both fusions of the same character, but robs Gogeta of some of his individuality,. Plus, I was hoping to have a Gogeta that was voiced mostly like Goku, with Sabat dropping his accent for Vegeta, instead of having Schemmel imitate Sabat like he did for Vegetto in Kai.

Still, his fight was incredible, and it's awesome to have him back in the franchise, hopefully for keeps this time.

Also, I really loved this Broly, and I'm glad that he seems to be sticking around, and his character earned him a place in the series. I do still like the original as a villain, and I still really enjoy movie 8, but this blew it out of the water in most regards (except for the Minus stuff), so keeping this more sympathetic character around feels way more justified than the original, which was nothing more than blatant fan-service due to the character's popularity.

The original Broly should have only been in movie 8 (and he would have been perfectly fine then as he was, just not super exceptional), and it will be great to see this one grow and develop as a person.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Melkaniator
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Melkaniator » Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:58 am

Zelvin wrote:
We tend to ignore Toyotaro's manga because...he's literally just doing whatever he wants with it and it doesn't line up with the Anime.
It doesn't need to line with the anime at all, the anime has way more contradictions than the manga because the manga is closely supervised by Akira, unlike the anime.

Which is why many of us knew SSBKK & SSBE wouldn't be a thing in the new Broly movie, because that movie's story is directly from Akira, not like the DBS anime, where Toei does whatever they want with it and it doesn't line up with the story Akira is trying to tell.

Things like Trunks' new SSBS form and his BS-Dama are not a thing in the manga, nor SSB way inconsistent stamina draining issue, or Goku & Vegeta exhausting themselves and recovering in just a few minutes over and over again in the ToP arc.

I'll admit the manga have issues as well (it's not like DB is known as a storytelling masterpiece after all) but it's not even close to the anime's constant unexplained events, contradictions, and irrelevant dialogue.

Credit where credit's due though, the fights in the ToP where better handled in the anime.
DBS anime is a fan service series that delivers irrelevant dialogue, inconsistent writing, and lazy designs.

The DB manga never had so many mistakes, nor those were this constant.

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:47 am

Lord Beerus wrote:So it's like the movie wanted have its cake and eat it too with regards to Bardock's perspective in the story.
DB Minus and Bardock's last stand are not mutually exclusive events to begin with, so it's not a case of having its cake and eating it too. There is indeed a gap in the narrative, but there's no continuity problem.