Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Doctor.
Banned

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by Doctor. » Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:13 pm

Sean's voice really overwhelms Sabat's when they're doing Gogeta.

nato25
Advanced Regular

Post by nato25 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:19 pm

The Time Traveller wrote:Well I've seen the sub and the dub now...

The dub ain't that stinky but pretty much everyone here would be against it anyway, right? Though one line change I kinda liked was "HELLO, MONKEYS!" instead of "Greetings." but that's because of how well it was read, worst line change is probably "What in the Multiverse is going on?!" because it sounds so forced and cringy, especially from Piccolo. They REALLY should have shown sub and dub everywhere, let the people choose which version they want to see!
So theatres showing the sub could sit empty? No offence but thats just not how a release like this would go. People that want to see the sub will seek out the limited locations. How many non english movies get wide releases in predominantly English speaking countries? I can't think of any.

ironfist2020
Banned

Post by ironfist2020 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:52 pm

know the phrase ''karma is a bitch''

paragus killed the guy who was with him on vampa exectly the way like how frieza killed him. so dont feel sorry for paragus. he was an S.O.B despite the fact that controlling his sun with that necklace was a smart move

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:09 pm

nato25 wrote:
The Time Traveller wrote:Well I've seen the sub and the dub now...

The dub ain't that stinky but pretty much everyone here would be against it anyway, right? Though one line change I kinda liked was "HELLO, MONKEYS!" instead of "Greetings." but that's because of how well it was read, worst line change is probably "What in the Multiverse is going on?!" because it sounds so forced and cringy, especially from Piccolo. They REALLY should have shown sub and dub everywhere, let the people choose which version they want to see!
So theatres showing the sub could sit empty? No offence but thats just not how a release like this would go. People that want to see the sub will seek out the limited locations. How many non english movies get wide releases in predominantly English speaking countries? I can't think of any.
Well the UK subbed screenings did well not only did my local give us one of their bigger screens for some subbed showings but we also got double showings for the sub too. Manga UK also reported that 1/4 of people that requested a screen asked for subbed. We still got majority dubbed screenings but no reason they couldn't have had limited sub runs in other countries too.

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:15 pm

nato25 wrote:So theatres showing the sub could sit empty? No offence but thats just not how a release like this would go. People that want to see the sub will seek out the limited locations. How many non english movies get wide releases in predominantly English speaking countries? I can't think of any.
"Empty"?

My Hero Academia only had two showings, the first day dubbed, the second day subbed and it sold out both times, this movie showed over 6 times and was sold out every time, it would have been sold out too. Customers complained about there being no subbed screenings nearby, they didn't want to go to London or further for it I guess.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:53 pm

Probably would have made even more money in the US if they showed it subbed too. Yes it did remarkably well but it could have done even better. I am sure many people would have went to see in both languages

I still don’t understand why Funi or Toei or whoever refused to show it subbed in the US. An idiotic decision.

Of course since it did so well so they aren’t going to care!

Rakurai
Advanced Regular

Post by Rakurai » Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:28 pm

nato25 wrote:
Fate/stay night Heaven's Feel.

The first of the trilogy was first released in English sub across movie theaters, they didn't even wait for it to get dubbed.

You severely underestimate the number of fans who would prefer the original Japanese cast to English cast in any animated media.
Super Dragon Ball Heroes Universe Mission translation compilation here. All translations are done and owned by me.

SDBH 9th anniversary the secret development interview here. Learn how original SDBH characters such as SS3 Raditz, SS4 Bardock, Robel, & more were conceived!

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:12 pm

Kinokima wrote:Probably would have made even more money in the US if they showed it subbed too. Yes it did remarkably well but it could have done even better. I am sure many people would have went to see in both languages

I still don’t understand why Funi or Toei or whoever refused to show it subbed in the US. An idiotic decision.

Of course since it did so well so they aren’t going to care!
Given how the history of communication between Toei companies have been I guess the success of subbed screenings in countries like the UK won't be relayed to the U.S, unfortunately.

What's even crazy is given how small the UK market is compared to the U.S yet Toei Europe and MangaUK decided to take the risk of subbed screenings. Meanwhile Toei USA & FUNi chickened out.

I definitely sympathise, getting to hear the Japanese cast in theatre sound would have been a dream for many folks! Like I said I am not too attached to the Japanese actors so part of me felt bad when I went to watch it subbed, when their are others far more attached that don't have the opportunity.

BrolyKale
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by BrolyKale » Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:44 pm

So here's my opinion about the movie :

-Visually it's pretty good.
-The story is interesting for the most part, at the end its just full fight for no reason.
-New Broly is good but could be better because once he starts fighting he keeps screaming and yelling, there are no dialogues so we don't even know what his motivation is or what he really wants...
-The Broly vs Vegeta fight could be interesting but that wasn't the case. I didn't feel that Broly wanted to get his revenge, he just started to get angry because his dad was getting mad.
-Some parts seem to be rushed, Bardock vs Freezer, but since its a movie I can understand they can't show everything... pretty unfortunate.
-DBminus Bardock is ok, his relation with Gine and Kakarotto is touching and all, but that's it. I didn't feel anything when he died vs Freezer because we have already seen it in the old movie...
-The osts were ok, not too bad.
-I didn't feel any tension because Broly is not even a villain... I still haven't figured out why they fighted, what did they accomplish?
-Gogeta's appearance is way too simple... "no kaioshin around, ok lets do the fusion dance"
-Fat Gogeta and the other Gogeta are useless, its not even funny. It's just there for the sake of being there.
-Now Broly's bulky form (full power?) and Gogeta SSJB were just trash. I dunno what was the point of that fight...
-The fights have no PAUSE. It's fighting, fighting, fighting, fighting with no reason...... at the end it was way too much and it was annoying.
-CGI is... :sick: (but it's not so important)
-Paragu's death sucks... it was just a funny scene with Freezer. wasn't tragic at all... Broly's reaction is just "... RAAAAAAWR!" still no dialogues...
So at the end what did the movie accomplish? did Goku or Vegeta learn something new? did Broly learned something new? nothing, Broly just got two friends and that's it.

and I think that's about it. It's still a good movie, it could have been a lot better. But it's certainly not my favorite movie.
Zamasu, Broly, Mira & Fu

saiyanhajime
Not-So-Newbie

Post by saiyanhajime » Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:34 pm

-New Broly is good but could be better because once he starts fighting he keeps screaming and yelling, there are no dialogues so we don't even know what his motivation is or what he really wants...
I feel like we glean more from Broly's mania than we've ever learnt from a character exposition dumping in true DBZ battle style! So much was said with movement and vocalisations.
-The Broly vs Vegeta fight could be interesting but that wasn't the case. I didn't feel that Broly wanted to get his revenge, he just started to get angry because his dad was getting mad.
Yeah... Ya know, Vegeta is very on edge from the start and it really affects his fight. As soon as the playful battle scene with Goku ends, even the way he's animated and his expression as he turns to listen to Goku and Whis, he's on edge. He makes it very clear how angry he is at Goku for resurrecting Freeza, too. When it comes to meeting Broly, you'd think he'd be a little more interested to hear what Paragus has to say and in Broly's power and then he tries to kill Broly very early on. He's not taking any chances. I thought that scene was kinda weird, actually? Goku is legit concerned Vegeta has ended it prematurely. Vegeta isn't playing. He isn't having much fun with that fight. He very quickly realises Broly is dangerous and needs to be put down, now.

To me, it feels like here's a real fleshing out of Vegeta's character growth. The personality is still very much there and the same, but it comes loaded with deep concern and worry for his family. A lot of super I feel gets this kinda wrong and goes with a overall jollier Vegeta. Goku, too, feels more "in character" in this movie to me than he has through all of Super. Character growth or change is fine, but it has to make some sort of sense.

supersaiyandoctor
Beyond Newbie

Post by supersaiyandoctor » Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:42 pm

Have many people commented on how Bardocks crew still exist in this movie? For anyone who has missed it, you can seem them all there when King Cold introduces Frieza. Fasha is even wearing the same outfit from the Bardock special.

Also, wasn't Guldo new to the Ginyu force when Vegeta was an adult?

It was also a bit strange how Zarbon and Dodoria were not around when Frieza blows up Namek but instead the new characters who happen to still be around all this time later. Which then raises the question as to why did Frieza says in resurrection F that the 'Frieza force now only consists of Sorbet' if there are all these other characters still around.

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:16 pm

It seems a "HD" version of the English dub of the film had been leaked. I say "HD" because it is the original video file that cinemas use to project it.

Apparently Toei hasn't found out about this yet but when they do, there may be a possibility that it might sever the ties between Toei and FUNimation.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:19 pm

Tian wrote:It seems a "HD" version of the English dub of the film had been leaked. I say "HD" because it is the original video file that cinemas use to project it.

Apparently Toei hasn't found out about this yet but when they do, there may be a possibility that it might sever the ties between Toei and FUNimation.
Thats a huge reach. Especially considering its already taken down.

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:27 pm

Tian wrote:It seems a "HD" version of the English dub of the film had been leaked. I say "HD" because it is the original video file that cinemas use to project it.
How the hell does something like that even happen? I don't think I've ever seen a movie get leaked online in HD while it's still in theatres.

prince212
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by prince212 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:01 pm

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:
How the hell does something like that even happen? I don't think I've ever seen a movie get leaked online in HD while it's still in theatres.
This movie is being a leak months before it was released in Japan . And looks like leak strategy is awesome , people talk and build hype , meaning $$$$
It was as if a whole lot of people ...were screaming in pain....

TysonWine
Beyond Newbie

Post by TysonWine » Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:29 pm

Doctor. wrote:Sean's voice really overwhelms Sabat's when they're doing Gogeta.
It sounded like only Sean was voicing Gogeta, which is different from the usual. Whenever they voiced Vegito, Sabat sounded like a strong echo to Sean's voice. Maybe they wanted a better blend, but it almost drowned Sabat out completely.

nato25
Advanced Regular

Post by nato25 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:37 pm

The Time Traveller wrote:
nato25 wrote:So theatres showing the sub could sit empty? No offence but thats just not how a release like this would go. People that want to see the sub will seek out the limited locations. How many non english movies get wide releases in predominantly English speaking countries? I can't think of any.
"Empty"?

My Hero Academia only had two showings, the first day dubbed, the second day subbed and it sold out both times, this movie showed over 6 times and was sold out every time, it would have been sold out too. Customers complained about there being no subbed screenings nearby, they didn't want to go to London or further for it I guess.
I probably shouldn't have spoken without facts. I live in Australia, typically only about 10% of locations showing the film will show the sub in addition to the dub. It's very easy to see your preferred version. I guess I translated that into a similar demand for each type in an international audience.

Kokonoe
Not Banned

Post by Kokonoe » Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:04 am

This movie was tailor made for fans of the original Broly movie and it's truly fantastic. What a love letter to all us Broly fans. This is not only my favorite Dragon Ball movie in a very long time, but my favorite movie period in the past 10 years or so.

Bless Toriyama and Toei for giving Broly fans such a amazing film.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:12 am

Kokonoe wrote:This movie was tailor made for fans of the original Broly movie and it's truly fantastic. What a love letter to all us Broly fans. This is not only my favorite Dragon Ball movie in a very long time, but my favorite movie period in the past 10 years or so.

Well, I don't think it is really targeted towards Broly fans specifically. Broly as a character and as a story, has an insane amount of potential and they capitalized on that. I absolutely hated the original Broly, and was so pissed when I found out this was a Broly movie. To me, he may possibly be the worst character in this franchise. And yet, I found this film with the new and improved d Broly to be phenomenal.

Broly fan or not, this movie appeals to Dragon Ball fans period.
BrolyKale wrote: -New Broly is good but could be better because once he starts fighting he keeps screaming and yelling, there are no dialogues so we don't even know what his motivation is or what he really wants...
If he DID have dialogue, then it would have completely defeated the purpose of what they were trying to portray. It was very much intended that he wouldn't have dialogue, and kind of the point is that by midway point of the movie, he had no "motivation" in the conventional sense. He was just a total berserker that had lost control entirely, and was just rampaging indiscriminately. IHe was just attacking everybody in sight, that's why they were easily able to hand him off to Freeza.

If he did have dialogue and motivated to do what he did, then him being peaceful and calm after the fight is over, would make absolutely no sense, because that motivation and "want" wouldn't suddenly go away because he lost.

Kokonoe
Not Banned

Post by Kokonoe » Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:19 am

PFM18 wrote:
Kokonoe wrote:This movie was tailor made for fans of the original Broly movie and it's truly fantastic. What a love letter to all us Broly fans. This is not only my favorite Dragon Ball movie in a very long time, but my favorite movie period in the past 10 years or so.

Well, I don't think it is really targeted towards Broly fans specifically. Broly as a character and as a story, has an insane amount of potential and they capitalized on that. I absolutely hated the original Broly, and was so pissed when I found out this was a Broly movie. To me, he may possibly be the worst character in this franchise. And yet, I found this film with the new and improved d Broly to be phenomenal.

Broly fan or not, this movie appeals to Dragon Ball fans period.
Broly fans are Dragon Ball fans.

There was def a ton of fan-service for fans of the first movie.