Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:52 pm

My god, I love Chris Ayres as Freeza. That “Hello, monkeys” put such a huge smile on my face.

Looks like this will be a limited release in NA. Trailer said at the end “In select theatres.” At the very least, they should significantly increase the theatre count and length of time it’ll be in theatres compared to ‘F’s run in theatres.
Last edited by Super Saiyan Swagger on Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LimitbreakerKrillin
Not-So-Newbie

Post by LimitbreakerKrillin » Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:06 pm

Kataphrut wrote:
Also, like...those flashback scenes could be taking place at different times?

Seriously, the trailer begins with Freeza conquering Planet Vegeta and ends with him blowing it up. There has to have been at least a few years of the Saiyans actually working for him between those events. So Vegeta could have easily been born around the time Freeza first showed up, while Goku and Broly are born closer to the end.
Yeah thats my guess aswell. Hope we right about this.

Still, I think all the infomation from the Daizenshuu that never been mentioned in the mangas has been retcon out. There's is like the whole Shinjin tree and the Makaioshin that was never touched upon in any media.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:14 pm

Dragono wrote:Hey, guys what if the rebellion in the movie takes place on planet vegeta instead of above it?
that is possible. I know I've said this a million times but I'm going to be so mad if they get rid of Bardock's rebellion. Sure, maybe it wont be in space but it needs to happen in some capacity. Maybe Freeza kills King Vegeta and THEN blows it up like he did in the bardock special but this time he also kills Bardock who confronts him first.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:37 pm

PFM18 wrote:
Dragono wrote:Hey, guys what if the rebellion in the movie takes place on planet vegeta instead of above it?
that is possible. I know I've said this a million times but I'm going to be so mad if they get rid of Bardock's rebellion. Sure, maybe it wont be in space but it needs to happen in some capacity. Maybe Freeza kills King Vegeta and THEN blows it up like he did in the bardock special but this time he also kills Bardock who confronts him first.
I don’t see why the rebellion thing is even important. Sure, not featuring it would be a retcon, but Toriyama has already retconned a number of things, and Bardock’s rebellion amounted to nothing more than two panels in the manga.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:44 pm

I think they are playing with fire.
Yeah Broly is incredibly popular and Toriyama already said he's being careful to not disappoint Broly's fans, but Bardock is arguably as popular as Broly, if not more, and his fans may be disappointed with how he's treated in this movie. Rightfully so.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

NovaSayajinGoku
Beyond Newbie

Post by NovaSayajinGoku » Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:51 pm

Hope we get some Nappa in that movie

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:12 pm

WittyUsername wrote:I don’t see why the rebellion thing is even important.
Oh you don't see? Then take away all of Goku's defining moments, all the ones that you can point and say "see? This is Goku/this is a brief of Goku's character". Take away what makes Goku different, take away what makes him special... Once you do that, you won't like the results.

Yeah, that is pretty much what happens if you take Bardock's stand away from the character. And what's worse, since Toriyama is a competent man, Badock's stand is the only thing he did on-screen and in the manga, so even if you take one or two defining moments of Goku, it's fine (that's why I said "take all" above), but when you take away the only thing the character has done, you are simply taking away everything, leaving the character empty, with nothing going on for him.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Dragono
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dragono » Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:27 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote:I think they are playing with fire.
Yeah Broly is incredibly popular and Toriyama already said he's being careful to not disappoint Broly's fans, but Bardock is arguably as popular as Broly, if not more, and his fans may be disappointed with how he's treated in this movie. Rightfully so.
It took 11 years to bring bardock back, it took broly 1 and then that same year he got another movie.

Dragono
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dragono » Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:42 pm

Grimlock wrote:
WittyUsername wrote:I don’t see why the rebellion thing is even important.
Oh you don't see? Then take away all of Goku's defining moments, all the ones that you can point and say "see? This is Goku/this is a brief of Goku's character". Take away what makes Goku different, take away what makes him special... Once you do that, you won't like the results.

Yeah, that is pretty much what happens if you take Bardock's stand away from the character. And what's worse, since Toriyama is a competent man, Badock's stand is the only thing he did on-screen and in the manga, so even if you take one or two defining moments of Goku, it's fine (that's why I said "take all" above), but when you take away the only thing the character has done, you are simply taking away everything, leaving the character empty, with nothing going on for him.
Taking away Goku's defining moments wouldn't change who Goku is because he is more than just those moments.

Bardock was not define by that rebellion anyway, what made Bardock special was that he wasn't a good person but he wanted revenge for his friends and he never got it. You already had that with him losing to dodoria. He could have died right there and it still have the same impact

Basically, he was a tragic antihero who failed but succeeded through his son and minus did take away from that but the 2011 special did it first by making him a super saiyan and defeating Freeza's ancestor and that was a direct sequel.

Shaddy

Post by Shaddy » Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:59 pm

In fairness, I don't think anyone ever considered Episode of Bardock a real part of the story. But either way this movie doesn't diminish Bardock in any way Minus didn't already, I don't think it deserves to be judged on what it's adapting rather than how well it adapts it, or what it does to improve upon or recontextualize it. It's always, always going to be about the execution.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:07 pm

Bullza wrote:I'm sure it's been answered somewhere but I'll ask again.

Are they doing a retcon so that Goku and Vegeta are now the same age?
Is everybody just ignoring the shot of smirking Kid Vegeta or something? Or the Minus chapter?
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Kaiza_Toshiyuki
Temporarily Banned

Post by Kaiza_Toshiyuki » Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:42 pm

For those of you dont understand how a misleading trailer works, let me give you an example.

This Image is from the trailer for Thor Ragnarok
This Image is from the actual movie
You see how they kept thor's lost eye hidden so it was still a surprise when the movie came out. I wouldn't put it past them to pull this kind of thing on the fandom. Not to mention this scene could be un-finished. It might have Bardock's Rebellion still happen.

Super Saiyan Swagger

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:21 am

So we know that we'll be seeing the next trailer at Jump Anime Festa in late November, but what about the English dub version? Presumably it's going to be revealed during a panel at another con for the final location in the Dragon Ball Tour, but it hasn't been announced yet. The official website hasn't listed the last location yet and only has it in question marks. Any ideas as to where we might see it?

Bergamo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bergamo » Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:22 am

FortuneSSJ wrote:I think they are playing with fire.
People need to stop talking about how characters are, "treated." A character could do nothing spectacular yet sufficiently accomplish their purpose, or they could have a undeserved moment that devalues their worth.
My explanations for the events of my favorite current manga.

DBS Manga Explained: Goku Black's Transformations

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:34 am

Bergamo wrote: People need to stop talking about how characters are, "treated." A character could do nothing spectacular yet sufficiently accomplish their purpose, or they could have a undeserved moment that devalues their worth.
That's not how things work.
People have favorite characters and they like to see them do something cool, especially when there's another version of the same story where their favorite character shone.

Bergamo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bergamo » Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:40 am

FortuneSSJ wrote:
Bergamo wrote: People need to stop talking about how characters are, "treated." A character could do nothing spectacular yet sufficiently accomplish their purpose, or they could have a undeserved moment that devalues their worth.
That's not how things work.
People have favorite characters and they like to see them do something cool, especially when there's another version of the same story where their favorite character shone.
I like Krillin, but it's not like I complained when he was the first one knocked out for u7. I can look past "cool" things, and see the larger narrative.
My explanations for the events of my favorite current manga.

DBS Manga Explained: Goku Black's Transformations

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:43 am

Bergamo wrote: I like Krillin, but it's not like I complained when he was the first one knocked out for u7. I can look past "cool" things, and see the larger narrative.
Is Krillin your favourite character?

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:01 am

jjgp1112 wrote:
Bullza wrote:I'm sure it's been answered somewhere but I'll ask again.

Are they doing a retcon so that Goku and Vegeta are now the same age?
Is everybody just ignoring the shot of smirking Kid Vegeta or something? Or the Minus chapter?
it is still called into question because the tagline is "3 Saiyans born around the same time."

Rakurai
Advanced Regular

Post by Rakurai » Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:57 am

So if we don't see Bardock's last stand with a whole bunch of Frieza's soldiers behind him, can we finally acknowledge that DB Minus contradicts the original manga, as it always was indicated to? As if the Bardock flashback by Frieza wasn't enough as an obvious reference to the events of the TV special.
mahakaishin1991 wrote: Someone on the wiki site pointed out you can see Borgos, or at least, somone who looks a lot like him, in one of the crowds
https://twitter.com/kaka0317mako/status ... 9216531461

Yep, the physique, the baldness, and the scar. That's def him.

I have a feeling that the woman to the far left is Seripa, and hidden elsewhere could be Toma.
Super Dragon Ball Heroes Universe Mission translation compilation here. All translations are done and owned by me.

SDBH 9th anniversary the secret development interview here. Learn how original SDBH characters such as SS3 Raditz, SS4 Bardock, Robel, & more were conceived!

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:08 am

So this movie will retcon the Bardock Special, Broly's character and backstory, Bardock's character and backstory, Goku's backstory, Vegeta's age, AND Frieza's first form appearance? :crazy:

My childhood basically never happened.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super