Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by BlueBasilisk » Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:37 pm

LightBing wrote:
Grimlock wrote:
LightBing wrote:PS: Give us a freaking timeline.
You mean the years of the events? We already have one.
We do? Where can I find this information? I really want to know how many years have passed since Boo.
According to Xenoverse, Battle of Gods is 778, Resurrection F, The Universe 6 tournament and the Future Trunks arc are 779, and the Tournament of Power is assumed to be 780 since that's when Bra was born according to Daizenshuu. There's a bit of an unexplained continuity error in there since the Dragon Balls were used twice in 779 but that only came up after the fact when the U6 tourney and RoF were placed into the same year.
Last edited by BlueBasilisk on Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:39 pm

There is no assumption in there. Not only there is Bra's birth year, Super Dragon Balls can only be used once per year, and they were used in AGE 779 (Universe 6 saga), that places Universe Survival saga in AGE 780.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:41 pm

BlueBasilisk wrote:http://www.newyorkcomiccon.com/en/Sessi ... uper-Broly
"Never-before-seen announcements," eh? :think:
That Ultra Instinct Goku will be in the movie? :lol:
More depth into Freeza's plan.
More info on the new characters.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:50 pm

Grimlock wrote:There is no assumption in there. Not only there is Bra's birth year, Super Dragon Balls can only be used once per year, and they were used in AGE 779 (Universe 6 saga), that places Universe Survival saga in AGE 780.
I said assumed because it possibly could have been a little later than that. A year passes between the U6 tournament and Goku fighting Hit again and then a few more months after that since Goku didn't know Bulma was pregnant. It seems like we're in very late 780 about to creep over into 781 at the end of Super.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:54 pm

Yes, we're at the end of AGE 780 (also because Universe 6 does take place later in AGE 779). Which is why I continuously complain about the height of Goten, Trunks and Marron, another year will be over and they're still portrayed inaccurately. And then there is Bulma's line by the of the manga, it is still valid as of now and us viewers can think Bulma just rounded it up, but that won't be useful anymore if they keep placing the events just after Universe Survival saga.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:37 pm

Someone posted this ad for a game of some sort on twitter today. If you look between Krillin and Roshi you can see Bardock in what looks like his Dragon Ball Minus design with no headband. Possible peek at his movie look?
Grimlock wrote:Yes, we're at the end of AGE 780 (also because Universe 6 does take place later in AGE 779). Which is why I continuously complain about the height of Goten, Trunks and Marron, another year will be over and they're still portrayed inaccurately. And then there is Bulma's line by the of the manga, it is still valid as of now and us viewers can think Bulma just rounded it up, but that won't be useful anymore if they keep placing the events just after Universe Survival saga.
There's Kid Mai too. Trunks and Goten I figured they'd cover with the "saiyans have a long childhood" thing and Marron is Krillin's daughter, but there's really no excuse for Mai still being so small.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:11 pm

Miracles wrote:

Still the biggest secret. :mrgreen:

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:15 pm

Thanks for the clarification everyone.

So there's still 4 years to go until the 28th TB? They shoved 5 arcs into 3 years so we might not be leaving this time period anytime soon...

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:53 pm

Mister_Popo wrote:
Miracles wrote:

Today it was confirmed the big secret aka you know who will indeed get revealed well before the movie opens in Japan. I think NYCC next week is a bit too soon but it will be a controlled reveal that way as opposed to it being leaked from V Jump etc so I'd be up for them to reveal him next week.

I've pre ordering every Gogeta merch except the Adverge so I really hope it isn't something I regret! Initially I wanted a re-design but now I am thinking maybe not, Gogeta's design is good a re-design might not be guaranteed good.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:17 pm

makaishin1991 wrote:Would it be inappropriate to use the Cell Jr bonus chapter to get an idea of his training?
For the manga? No, that is clearly what the story intends and in Toyotaro's world that is seen as a legitimate explanation.

For the anime? Yes, it would be inappropriate. That only applies to the manga continuity and the anime leaves it ambiguous
BlueBasilisk wrote:
LightBing wrote:
Grimlock wrote:
You mean the years of the events? We already have one.
We do? Where can I find this information? I really want to know how many years have passed since Boo.
According to Xenoverse, Battle of Gods is 778, Resurrection F, The Universe 6 tournament and the Future Trunks arc are 779, and the Tournament of Power is assumed to be 780 since that's when Bra was born according to Daizenshuu. There's a bit of an unexplained continuity error in there since the Dragon Balls were used twice in 779 but that only came up after the fact when the U6 tourney and RoF were placed into the same year.
Bra was born just as the ToP was starting and she was 3 during EoZ so this should be taking place 7 years after the Buu arc and 3 years before EoZ

I think Xenoverse is just wrong.

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:11 pm

PFM18 wrote:
BlueBasilisk wrote:
LightBing wrote: We do? Where can I find this information? I really want to know how many years have passed since Boo.
Bra was born just as the ToP was starting and she was 3 during EoZ so this should be taking place 7 years after the Buu arc and 3 years before EoZ

I think Xenoverse is just wrong.
Bulla is 3 during EoZ because her birthday is later in the year than May (it's at the end of the year, after all). Similarly, Pan is 4 during EoZ because her birthday is later in the year than May (it's probably in May, actually). No problem there.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:07 am

Mister_Popo wrote:
Miracles wrote:

Ok...Oook...BARDOCK... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Teclo
Beyond Newbie

Post by Teclo » Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:56 am

Man, I skipped Super apart from watching bits of the Goku Black stuff and some Future Trunks stuff. Now I feel like I should watch all of it to prepare for this movie, even though it's going to be 90% Broly smashing through mountains and buildings. I love the new character designs too, especially Chelye. If they have these side characters with their own backgrounds and stories, it gives me hope that maybe it won't be 90% Broly smashing through stuff...

Sora Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Sora Saiyan » Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:13 am

PFM18 wrote: Trunks trained for 14 years and got really strong. That's the exception not the rule as far as how potential is handled in this series. 17 and Freeza started off extremely strong so naturally had much larger gains because of all their untapped potential that was left dormant because they don't train. And all of these gains Gohan made were not in one day. He had been training since RoF and becoming stronger. You seem to think ALL of this power was gained in a day.
Freezas potential is special, but 17 was a freak because of the enhancements Gero made, he really shouldn’t be classed to be the same as Freeza who had no enhancements of the like, the guy was just a literal freak of nature. Unlike 17 who most likely was just a bog standard human, or maybe he had great potential, and just didn’t act on it. Toriyama stated in the full colour manga Q&A that 17 and 18 could become stronger since they’re human based. For me that means there power garnered through the mechanical enhancements really can’t be considered to fall in with their overall potential, as that’s the part of there power that’s fixed. How can fixed power have any bearing on potential?
I do believe they can make great gains because of the extra power they have from their enhancements allows their untrained human cells to go through a shit ton more than the others humans are capable of, but they still aren’t mutants like Freeza. If this was Cell, his potential would be self explanatory, but again it would fuck up the narrative in the original as Geros creation should’ve just trained instead of relying on absorption’s which he programmed him for.

Gohan may have been training for longer, but for me the implication was that he gained all that power in a day. Also I really wouldn’t put him above his Ultimate self in the Buu arc any earlier than when he regained that form, as that would change Piccolos potential. We’ve seen him train many times in the original series, and stop making ridiculous gains once nearing what seemed to be his limits. Going above SSJ2 Buu arc Gohan seems like a pretty huge jump for him, and that would probably just about make sense with his established potential. Piccolo either has entirely new potential, or Gohan was around his Buu arc self.

I do much prefer where the Super manga places him, as it means that when Buu killed all of the earthlings (his family included), 17 couldn’t have defeated him if he managed to find him. Maybe he didn’t get home to see them dead, who knows.
Also a character stronger than SSJG Goku donating Genki should’ve been enough to wipe Buu out super easily, but it took a long ass time before Goku had enough. The Genki Dama in the ToP a prime example of how freakish the power levels were at that stage just from a few characters. It clearly made the one used against Buu look like a heap of shit judging by all of the reactions, so 17s power would’ve definitely gave Goku the energy he required, but instead he only states that its not much more, and the energy donated by Gohan and co was big enough to be noted.
Goku clearly has a good enough awareness of the power in the Genki Dama as shown in the Buu fight, so the one in the ToP could’ve defeated Jiren at that point in Goku’s head.
Sora Saiyan wrote: I know you hate it, but the manga keeps the God forms at the prophecy standard, and even the former characters potential still seems to gel well enough with the original series. Gohan is a bit of an exception as he seems to have surpassed SSJG, but at least he had a while in the gravity chamber. Even so I’m still not happy with it, as it was handled in a fucking awful, awful way. Obviously Freeza gets a pass on the prophetic dream as he was dead.
You know I hate what? the manga?
Yeah.
It brings out all of his potential in the transformation. The only way that it is different because he needs to transform into this state in the first place and that is a direct result of the fact that Gohan was slacking on his training and didn't have his Ultimate state anymore. The narrative isn't 100% clear on where this power starts either because "that power you used against Buu" could be referring to the state itself the same way that other transformations are referred to as "a power." The ritual is the reason that he has access to this state in the first so it has EVERYTHING to do with the gains he made in that day. 17, Freeza can lay claim to their astronomical gains without help of a ritual. They started at very high level without training and they reached astronomical gains without anybody else's help. It doesn't suddenly change how potential works and it is clear that of the three of them, Gohan has the lowest potential.
If his Ultimate form works the same, why is his potential that is unlocked entirely by Elder Kaioshin constantly changing? If it unlocks all of your potential, and takes it way higher than it naturally should be how can it possibly be claimed to work the same as shown in Super? How can his potential change so drastically in a day, as that clearly contradicts what elder Kaioshin stated. Gohans ultimate form is basically allowing him to utilise all of his current power ala a users highest SSJ form. It’s definitely not displayed to be “all of his potential drawn out way beyond its limits” but instead whenever he increases his power by it is increased many times in his Ultimate form. Again, like a SSJ form.

Anywayyy
The original series had some offenders in the gains department, but they were explained. New training methods, Zenkais, transformations, mastering a certain form. Super doesn’t even go through any effort at all, just ‘they’re stronger now, you decide why’.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:35 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
I've pre ordering every Gogeta merch except the Adverge so I really hope it isn't something I regret! Initially I wanted a re-design but now I am thinking maybe not, Gogeta's design is good a re-design might not be guaranteed good.
It's a Metamoru Fusion and SSG/SSB are recolors. There's not much they can re-design.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:46 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:I've pre ordering every Gogeta merch except the Adverge so I really hope it isn't something I regret!.
You pre-ordered without actually knowing if it's Gogeta ? :wtf: What if they're just new Mr. Satan figures ? :lol:
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:48 am

sintzu wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:I've pre ordering every Gogeta merch except the Adverge so I really hope it isn't something I regret!.
You pre-ordered without actually knowing if it's Gogeta ? :wtf: What if they're just new Mr. Satan figures ? :lol:
I guess he means he's not sure that Gogeta will be in the movie, but he's buying Gogeta merch anyway.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:29 am

sintzu wrote:
Most of the Gogeta's come in a set so that couldn't be helped and January's Ultimate Soliders Gogeta was only 1215yen so figured there was less risk on that...but my big worry is for the Ichiban Kuji Gogeta pre ordered the overseas Asian proxy version since it was the only one that had a December release date alongside Japan (naturally since figures are made in China) but all orders had to be placed by mid August so I panicked and decided to pre order lol.

I did exactly the same for UI Goku last year believed in my conviction that the final version of UI will be silver, pre ordered most of everything and then it got revealed in Feb to be exactly that silver!

Gogeta is pretty much happening each day it's more and more likely, today Bandai's January schedule started leaking and for UG #09 they're releasing four figures with two of them "movie character with 2 colour differences" so confirmation it's one character with two forms then.

Yesterday we found out the Ichiban Kuji starts 4th December in Japan therefore the two "new theatrical characters" will 100% be revealed before the film opens. So either next week at NYCC or the last V Jump before the movie opens (like UI in Feb).

Raphael_Z
Beyond Newbie

Post by Raphael_Z » Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:42 am

Grimlock wrote:Yes, we're at the end of AGE 780 (also because Universe 6 does take place later in AGE 779). Which is why I continuously complain about the height of Goten, Trunks and Marron, another year will be over and they're still portrayed inaccurately. And then there is Bulma's line by the of the manga, it is still valid as of now and us viewers can think Bulma just rounded it up, but that won't be useful anymore if they keep placing the events just after Universe Survival saga.
Goku is 13 at the start of DB and 17 when he kills Piccolo yet he retains his kid design, it is only during the Piccolo Jr. Saga that he gets an adult-looking design. By comparison, Gohan is 10-11 when he kills Cell yet he looks way older than 17 year old Goku.

Trunks and Goten are 18 and 17 years old at EoZ and they also look way older than 17 year old Goku, during the most recent Super saga they're 14 and 13 (the SAME age as Goku at the beginning of DB) and they also look older than Goku at the same age.

So yeah, Gohan aside, Saiyans look like kids for most of their teen years then go through a huge and sudden growth spur. Yes, it is frustrating to see Goten and Trunks having the same 'old designs but it's not something worth obsessing over when you take into account how slowly Goku aged in the original series.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:50 am

sintzu wrote:You pre-ordered without actually knowing if it's Gogeta ? :wtf: What if they're just new Mr. Satan figures ? :lol:
Are you implying there's a better investment than THE CHAMP? :thumbup: