Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by Chuquita » Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:04 am

Soundtrack preview thoughts:

-I like the instrumentation. There's a cohesiveness about the soundtrack that makes it feel like a complete package without feeling repetitive. There are definitely tracks I look forward to the full versions of ("Friendship with Brolli" and "I'm Kakarrotto" especially looking forward to.)

-That said, the chants are silly. Did someone think chanting names is a thing international audiences wanted? Is that a wrestling thing? I have no clue. It takes me out of the moment during the tracks they're inserted in.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:32 am

Dragon Ball Gus wrote:So, a lot of people think that this movie doesn't take place in the anime continuity of Super, but rather the manga continuity. You know, because of the facts that they included elements from Dragon Ball Minus, Vegeta can go Super Saiyan God, and he and Goku didn't use SSB Evolution or Blue Kaioken. And if that's the case, why didn't they use their Mastered SSB states? Considering how super crazy strong Broly is in just Super Saiyan Gold, you think they enter into their mastered states, the manga equivalent of Kaioken/Evolution, just to try to compete with him, you know before Gogeta and all that, before no, they just stick to regular SSB. How do you guys feel about this?
I always assumed Toriyama just intended to make Blue alone that powerful. For example, It was revealed in an interview that Toriyama sees Blue strong enough to handle a merged Zamas. Also, why some think this movie takes place in the manga continuity is because "MSSB" is just Blue in the Super manga. Marlowe89 hipped me to this; I didn't realize the Super manga labels what the fans call "Mastered Super Saiyan Blue" just Super Saiyan Blue. In chapter 29 Whis states Goku only has five modes, SSJ1, SSJ2, SSJ3, god and Blue! This was after Goku fought merged Zamas with the supposed "MSSB" form too. Lets not forget that Shueisha labeled the Super manga official canon to Toriyama's original manga and the key point is...The DBS Broly movie was right after the Super manga's Tournament of Power arc in the timeline too. So there are a few good reasons to see this movie being Super manga's continuity.

zarmack
Banned Alternate Account

Post by zarmack » Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:16 am

Miracles wrote:
Dragon Ball Gus wrote:So, a lot of people think that this movie doesn't take place in the anime continuity of Super, but rather the manga continuity. You know, because of the facts that they included elements from Dragon Ball Minus, Vegeta can go Super Saiyan God, and he and Goku didn't use SSB Evolution or Blue Kaioken. And if that's the case, why didn't they use their Mastered SSB states? Considering how super crazy strong Broly is in just Super Saiyan Gold, you think they enter into their mastered states, the manga equivalent of Kaioken/Evolution, just to try to compete with him, you know before Gogeta and all that, before no, they just stick to regular SSB. How do you guys feel about this?
I always assumed Toriyama just intended to make Blue alone that powerful. For example, It was revealed in an interview that Toriyama sees Blue strong enough to handle a merged Zamas. Also, why some think this movie takes place in the manga continuity is because "MSSB" is just Blue in the Super manga. Marlowe89 hipped me to this; I didn't realize the Super manga labels what the fans call "Mastered Super Saiyan Blue" just Super Saiyan Blue. In chapter 29 Whis states Goku only has five modes, SSJ1, SSJ2, SSJ3, god and Blue! This was after Goku fought merged Zamas with the supposed "MSSB" form too. Lets not forget that Shueisha labeled the Super manga official canon to Toriyama's original manga and the key point is...The DBS Broly movie was right after the Super manga's Tournament of Power arc in the timeline too. So there are a few good reasons to see this movie being Super manga's continuity.
But it doesn't explain why Vegeta's evolved Blue form from the manga isn't in the movie, or the fact that Toriyama outright said that the film follows the Super anime back in January 2018.

PsionicWarrior
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PsionicWarrior » Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:15 am

The trailers were doing so good I don't understand why they spoiled us Gogeta lately I mean what surprise is there left now? I'm still hyped as it seems the animation will be fantastic but I have no high expectations about the story anymore. Everything just seems like a side product which is sad. Anyway the animation will be great lol

vashter
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by vashter » Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:35 am

PsionicWarrior wrote:The trailers were doing so good I don't understand why they spoiled us Gogeta lately I mean what surprise is there left now? I'm still hyped as it seems the animation will be fantastic but I have no high expectations about the story anymore. Everything just seems like a side product which is sad. Anyway the animation will be great lol
it wasn't ment to keep it as a secret at all, they selling merch, selling dlc pack with gogeta + broly in it, selling dragon ball legend with broly card in it since 5th trailer land, i knew at one point they would bring it out, they probably have a lot money off merch but there manga aren't top10 on selling so far in 2018.

Sora Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Sora Saiyan » Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:44 am

zarmack wrote:
Miracles wrote: I always assumed Toriyama just intended to make Blue alone that powerful. For example, It was revealed in an interview that Toriyama sees Blue strong enough to handle a merged Zamas. Also, why some think this movie takes place in the manga continuity is because "MSSB" is just Blue in the Super manga. Marlowe89 hipped me to this; I didn't realize the Super manga labels what the fans call "Mastered Super Saiyan Blue" just Super Saiyan Blue. In chapter 29 Whis states Goku only has five modes, SSJ1, SSJ2, SSJ3, god and Blue! This was after Goku fought merged Zamas with the supposed "MSSB" form too. Lets not forget that Shueisha labeled the Super manga official canon to Toriyama's original manga and the key point is...The DBS Broly movie was right after the Super manga's Tournament of Power arc in the timeline too. So there are a few good reasons to see this movie being Super manga's continuity.
But it doesn't explain why Vegeta's evolved Blue form from the manga isn't in the movie, or the fact that Toriyama outright said that the film follows the Super anime back in January 2018.
IMO it doesn’t truly take place in either continuity. It’s Toriyamas, that’s all. It’s not the anime’s because of the forms that are missing. Luckily the manga leaves a few things ambiguous enough that it can still fit. Again it wasn’t intended to fit either truly, otherwise they would have done something that allowed people to have no argument surrounding the matter. SSJG Vegeta being mentioned to be something he achieved in the Black arc for this being directly linked to the manga, or SSJBE, and/or SSJBKK appearing for the anime. The manga gets a better pass on this, as long as SSJG Vegeta isn’t confirmed to have been achieved at a different point than what was shown in the manga.

Vegetas new form seems to throw a spanner in this, but Vegetas form could be temporary, or a great bit of thinking from Toyo knowing that SSJB had an aura in this film, thus he found a way of giving SSJB the aura back, and making it resemble the aura shown in this film at that, without contradicting his own work. If Goku and Vegetas SSJB looks like that from now on, I would say it was a great idea by Toyo.

PsionicWarrior

Post by PsionicWarrior » Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:54 am

vashter wrote:
PsionicWarrior wrote:The trailers were doing so good I don't understand why they spoiled us Gogeta lately I mean what surprise is there left now? I'm still hyped as it seems the animation will be fantastic but I have no high expectations about the story anymore. Everything just seems like a side product which is sad. Anyway the animation will be great lol
it wasn't ment to keep it as a secret at all, they selling merch, selling dlc pack with gogeta + broly in it, selling dragon ball legend with broly card in it since 5th trailer land, i knew at one point they would bring it out, they probably have a lot money off merch but there manga aren't top10 on selling so far in 2018.
You are right it's always for pa$$ion lol
I mean they had the whole planet hyped af for a whole year they didn't need to do that the hype was already high enough everybody is going to go and see it anyway IMHO lol

zarmack
Banned Alternate Account

Post by zarmack » Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:29 pm

Sora Saiyan wrote:
zarmack wrote:
Miracles wrote: I always assumed Toriyama just intended to make Blue alone that powerful. For example, It was revealed in an interview that Toriyama sees Blue strong enough to handle a merged Zamas. Also, why some think this movie takes place in the manga continuity is because "MSSB" is just Blue in the Super manga. Marlowe89 hipped me to this; I didn't realize the Super manga labels what the fans call "Mastered Super Saiyan Blue" just Super Saiyan Blue. In chapter 29 Whis states Goku only has five modes, SSJ1, SSJ2, SSJ3, god and Blue! This was after Goku fought merged Zamas with the supposed "MSSB" form too. Lets not forget that Shueisha labeled the Super manga official canon to Toriyama's original manga and the key point is...The DBS Broly movie was right after the Super manga's Tournament of Power arc in the timeline too. So there are a few good reasons to see this movie being Super manga's continuity.
IMO it doesn’t truly take place in either continuity. It’s Toriyamas, that’s all. It’s not the anime’s because of the forms that are missing. Luckily the manga leaves a few things ambiguous enough that it can still fit. Again it wasn’t intended to fit either truly, otherwise they would have done something that allowed people to have no argument surrounding the matter. SSJG Vegeta being mentioned to be something he achieved in the Black arc for this being directly linked to the manga, or SSJBE, and/or SSJBKK appearing for the anime. The manga gets a better pass on this, as long as SSJG Vegeta isn’t confirmed to have been achieved at a different point than what was shown in the manga.

Vegetas new form seems to throw a spanner in this, but Vegetas form could be temporary, or a great bit of thinking from Toyo knowing that SSJB had an aura in this film, thus he found a way of giving SSJB the aura back, and making it resemble the aura shown in this film at that, without contradicting his own work. If Goku and Vegetas SSJB looks like that from now on, I would say it was a great idea by Toyo.
That sounds like headcanon, considering that MSSB is supposed to be auraless distinguish it from regular SSB, meaning that it is separate transformation unlike what Miracles thinks (and Vegeta's new form was never said to be temporary in the manga).

Also, it was stated in RoF that you need SSG in order to become a SSB (since SSB is just a SSG stacking SSJ1 on top of it), that's why SSB was originally called SSGSS. So the idea that Vegeta just earned SSG in the Black arc or the Broly film is stupid, because lore wise he always had it since training with Whis after BoG.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:17 pm

Is anyone else noticing this? Broly tickets are finally going up for sale in America, but all of the showtimes are said to be sold out. I've checked online for 2 different theaters near me and it's this way. I highly doubt that's actually the case, right? I mean, there are like 4 showtimes a day and they're sold out even a week after release.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:50 pm

zarmack wrote:
Miracles wrote:
Well Toriyama didn't say the movie follows the anime's continuity. Just that it continues from the TOP from a story standpoint in general. Also yeah, Vegeta's powered up Blue from the manga's TOP has a slightly different aura design. That's a reason to point out that it doesn't strictly follow the manga. I just gave you reasons as to why people think it may follow the manga. It has some validity. I have said, from Toriyama interviews, his version of Super is different from the anime and manga. He just straight up uses red and blue as overly powered forms. The manga has different variations of Blue but it is Blue nonetheless and is why some feel it's closer to Toriyama's views.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:27 pm

Forte224 wrote:Is anyone else noticing this? Broly tickets are finally going up for sale in America, but all of the showtimes are said to be sold out. I've checked online for 2 different theaters near me and it's this way. I highly doubt that's actually the case, right? I mean, there are like 4 showtimes a day and they're sold out even a week after release.
That sounds about right. I had to buy tickets for BoG months in advance and the theater was packed to the brim. In terms of hype that movie was nothing compared to this. So it’s not surprising it’s sold out a little over a month before dub release

Terez
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Terez » Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:13 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:
Forte224 wrote:Is anyone else noticing this? Broly tickets are finally going up for sale in America, but all of the showtimes are said to be sold out. I've checked online for 2 different theaters near me and it's this way. I highly doubt that's actually the case, right? I mean, there are like 4 showtimes a day and they're sold out even a week after release.
That sounds about right. I had to buy tickets for BoG months in advance and the theater was packed to the brim. In terms of hype that movie was nothing compared to this. So it’s not surprising it’s sold out a little over a month before dub release
It really depends on your location. I bought a ticket as soon as I got my alert last week, but I just checked it again this morning and no more seats have sold since then.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:51 pm

I don’t think tickets have officially gone on sale yet but maybe some theaters put up tickets prematurely.

Anyways I did see tickets at a theater close to me but when I tried to buy the tickets I couldn’t. However all seats are still available so I don’t think they sold out.

Hopefully there will be some type of an announcement soon.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:21 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:
I highly doubt it. I've been checking for tickets like 3-4 times a day every day. I'm sure they didn't sell out 10+ days of tickets in like 4 hours.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:32 am

Those chants sounds like something straight out of Sonic CD. I forsee it being annoying in something like this.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Sora Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Sora Saiyan » Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:30 am

zarmack wrote:
Sora Saiyan wrote: IMO it doesn’t truly take place in either continuity. It’s Toriyamas, that’s all. It’s not the anime’s because of the forms that are missing. Luckily the manga leaves a few things ambiguous enough that it can still fit. Again it wasn’t intended to fit either truly, otherwise they would have done something that allowed people to have no argument surrounding the matter. SSJG Vegeta being mentioned to be something he achieved in the Black arc for this being directly linked to the manga, or SSJBE, and/or SSJBKK appearing for the anime. The manga gets a better pass on this, as long as SSJG Vegeta isn’t confirmed to have been achieved at a different point than what was shown in the manga.

That sounds like headcanon, considering that MSSB is supposed to be auraless distinguish it from regular SSB, meaning that it is separate transformation unlike what Miracles thinks (and Vegeta's new form was never said to be temporary in the manga).

Also, it was stated in RoF that you need SSG in order to become a SSB (since SSB is just a SSG stacking SSJ1 on top of it), that's why SSB was originally called SSGSS. So the idea that Vegeta just earned SSG in the Black arc or the Broly film is stupid, because lore wise he always had it since training with Whis after BoG.
It’s a separate transformation in the sense that FPSSJ is an improvement to regular SSJ in the original manga. Its SSJB at 100% of its power. Honestly it’s the same form but completed, it’s actually stated in the manga to just be SSJB at 100%. Truly the concept is the same thing as FPSSJ, both elimate the strain to make it a much more battle suited form. Ofcourse SSJB just couldn’t be mastered to the degree that SSJ was in the original series, as the method to mastering the form was different. Then there’s the fact that it’s never referred to as anything different than just SSJB.

I wouldn't call this part headcanon because I’m thinking out of universe. It’s if Toyo planned ahead and decided to bring the auras back to match this movie without contradicting his work. It’s a good idea because he didn’t change Vegetas physical appearance, he gave him a power up, and made the aura look awfully similar to SSJB in the Broly movie. Honestly it all depends on what Toyo decides to do. He could make the form temporary, we only managed to see it used once, so honestly we don’t know if it’s permanent. If it was used multiple times, then yeah sure it would seem permanent, but the battle using the form was very brief. Genuinely we have no clue. If he decides to give Goku and Vegeta this new evolution of SSJB then I would say it was great thinking on his side, as the form has no physical differences, and again the aura matches the movie.

The SSJG thing is terrible, you’re supposed to need the ritual, as even the lore explains it as a ritual form with all the stuff surrounding Yamoshi. SSJB was stated to be a Saiyan with the power of SSJG becoming SSJ, not exclusively a SSJG becoming a SSJ.
This explanation is shown and works with Black, he didn’t have SSJG but he had a base form with power around SSJG. Ofcourse lore wise it doesn’t make sense how Vegeta achieved the form, but that’s in both mediums (if the anime decides to pretend that he achieved it when it returns). The anime didn’t even give him SSJG through the entire run of the show, and he did have a chance to use it against Aniraza. The anime does work well with Vegeta achieveing SSJB though, as he does get around SSJG level after his training with Whis. I don’t quite know how this works in the manga, maybe that freaky powered SSJ2 was his precursor to achieving SSJB, but honestly that’s just headcanon.
Something to add is the we know that Toriyama never actually intended for Goku to be able to transform into SSJG again, as he stated in an interview post BoG (movie) that he absorbed it and made it his own... basically the anime found a way of Vegeta achieving SSJG like power from training with Whis.

We do know that Toriyama supervised Vegeta achieving SSJG in the manga, so it’s possible there’s multiple ways of achieving it in Toriyamas head, but the way of achieving the form should be left to the ritual with Yamoshis wandering soul IMO.

zarmack
Banned Alternate Account

Post by zarmack » Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:06 am

Sora Saiyan wrote:
zarmack wrote:
Sora Saiyan wrote: IMO it doesn’t truly take place in either continuity. It’s Toriyamas, that’s all. It’s not the anime’s because of the forms that are missing. Luckily the manga leaves a few things ambiguous enough that it can still fit. Again it wasn’t intended to fit either truly, otherwise they would have done something that allowed people to have no argument surrounding the matter. SSJG Vegeta being mentioned to be something he achieved in the Black arc for this being directly linked to the manga, or SSJBE, and/or SSJBKK appearing for the anime. The manga gets a better pass on this, as long as SSJG Vegeta isn’t confirmed to have been achieved at a different point than what was shown in the manga.

It’s a separate transformation in the sense that FPSSJ is an improvement to regular SSJ in the original manga. Its SSJB at 100% of its power. Honestly it’s the same form but completed, it’s actually stated in the manga to just be SSJB at 100%. Truly the concept is the same thing as FPSSJ, both elimate the strain to make it a much more battle suited form. Ofcourse SSJB just couldn’t be mastered to the degree that SSJ was in the original series, as the method to mastering the form was different. Then there’s the fact that it’s never referred to as anything different than just SSJB.

I wouldn't call this part headcanon because I’m thinking out of universe. It’s if Toyo planned ahead and decided to bring the auras back to match this movie without contradicting his work. It’s a good idea because he didn’t change Vegetas physical appearance, he gave him a power up, and made the aura look awfully similar to SSJB in the Broly movie. Honestly it all depends on what Toyo decides to do. He could make the form temporary, we only managed to see it used once, so honestly we don’t know if it’s permanent. If it was used multiple times, then yeah sure it would seem permanent, but the battle using the form was very brief. Genuinely we have no clue. If he decides to give Goku and Vegeta this new evolution of SSJB then I would say it was great thinking on his side, as the form has no physical differences, and again the aura matches the movie.

The SSJG thing is terrible, you’re supposed to need the ritual, as even the lore explains it as a ritual form with all the stuff surrounding Yamoshi. SSJB was stated to be a Saiyan with the power of SSJG becoming SSJ, not exclusively a SSJG becoming a SSJ.
This explanation is shown and works with Black, he didn’t have SSJG but he had a base form with power around SSJG. Ofcourse lore wise it doesn’t make sense how Vegeta achieved the form, but that’s in both mediums (if the anime decides to pretend that he achieved it when it returns). The anime didn’t even give him SSJG through the entire run of the show, and he did have a chance to use it against Aniraza. The anime does work well with Vegeta achieveing SSJB though, as he does get around SSJG level after his training with Whis. I don’t quite know how this works in the manga, maybe that freaky powered SSJ2 was his precursor to achieving SSJB, but honestly that’s just headcanon.
Something to add is the we know that Toriyama never actually intended for Goku to be able to transform into SSJG again, as he stated in an interview post BoG (movie) that he absorbed it and made it his own... basically the anime found a way of Vegeta achieving SSJG like power from training with Whis.

We do know that Toriyama supervised Vegeta achieving SSJG in the manga, so it’s possible there’s multiple ways of achieving it in Toriyamas head, but the way of achieving the form should be left to the ritual with Yamoshis wandering soul IMO.
Goku outright said that you didn't necessarily need the ritual to reach SSG in Rof, where he outright praises Vegeta for doing it with 6 months training.

mahakaishin1991

Post by mahakaishin1991 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:19 am

zarmack wrote:
Sora Saiyan wrote:
zarmack wrote:

Goku outright said that you didn't necessarily need the ritual to reach SSG in Rof, where he outright praises Vegeta for doing it with 6 months training.
where's this quote from?

Amir
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Amir » Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:54 am

mahakaishin1991 wrote:
zarmack wrote:
Sora Saiyan wrote: It’s a separate transformation in the sense that FPSSJ is an improvement to regular SSJ in the original manga. Its SSJB at 100% of its power. Honestly it’s the same form but completed, it’s actually stated in the manga to just be SSJB at 100%. Truly the concept is the same thing as FPSSJ, both elimate the strain to make it a much more battle suited form. Ofcourse SSJB just couldn’t be mastered to the degree that SSJ was in the original series, as the method to mastering the form was different. Then there’s the fact that it’s never referred to as anything different than just SSJB.

where's this quote from?
When Vegeta transforms into Blue against Golden Frieza, Goku says: "unlike me, Vegeta didn't need the ritual to reach the god form, it's purely his own power" or something along the lines.

mahakaishin1991

Post by mahakaishin1991 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:05 am

Amir wrote:
mahakaishin1991 wrote:
zarmack wrote:
where's this quote from?
When Vegeta transforms into Blue against Golden Frieza, Goku says: "unlike me, Vegeta didn't need the ritual to reach the god form, it's purely his own power" or something along the lines.
In the anime? Because he said nothing in the movie. It was just Vegeta beating on him till Frieza went all sore loser. Do you have the episode number and timecode?