Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

emperior
I Live Here

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by emperior » Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:39 am

JulieYBM wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:55 pm Dragon Ball is for all intents and purposes not some sort of short art piece. Dragon Ball is a infinite cour series, one meant to continue into perpetuity ala Shin-chan, Doraemon or Sazae-san. The issue is that criticism is still being lobbied at it under the false notion that Dragon Ball is somehow a one-and-done that ran for six months in 1984-1985 and then ended. That's not true. Dragon Ball is now the series where main characters constantly shift through plot while otherwise maintaining their core, marketable traits, with story mined from those traits as well as based in a metacontext as being against the traits of a character. This is why I've been throwing out ideas like "Freeza becomes Blooma's friend" because why not, the series is going to continue and we might as well see these characters interact in contexts that would be interesting, wild and varied.
This is so wrong.

You can’t compare Dragon Ball to episodic shows.
In fact, for all intents and purposes, Dragon Ball ended with Toriyama’s manga.

And Dragon Ball, nowadays, is not any different than it ever was. Just because it’s being milked a bit it doesn’t suddenly make it Doraemon nor does it mean it’s going to go on indefinitely.

Going by your idea then One Piece should be an infinite cour series too considering how it’s been going on for more than 20 years.
JulieYBM wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:55 pm Scholars greater than me have made this point a thousand times and I will now repeat it myself here: Japanese characters are meant to be placed in any kind of scene with recognizable reactions and dialogue extrapolated from their general personality and history quirks. This is why Shin Seiki Evangelion has so many different official works that place the characters in different contexts or why we see self-published fan comics at events like the Comic Market not only explode in numbers but in general, unofficial approval and nods. 'The character' as a concept belongs to endless parody and remixing through doujinshi, illustrations, fan film, goods and more.
That’s an over generalization. You are assuming all the Japanese characters are meant to fit this criteria. They are not. The fact people make Doujinshis doesn’t mean the characters are their properties nor that they are meant to be used in those ways.
In fact those are unofficial products made by fans who have their own idea and concept of the characters which is most of the times completely wrong.
What you said can be done with every character from every single piece of media that exists. It’s not just something for Japanese works.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:34 am

emperior wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:39 amGoing by your idea then One Piece should be an infinite cour series too considering how it’s been going on for more than 20 years.
The difference is that One Piece despite being long, still has an ending in mind it plans to reach (which, according to some people, might be sooner than later). DB however is currently being written with the intention of lasting as long as possible, going as far as to establish an entire division dedicated to it so that it can continue past Toriyama's (lack of) involvement.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:42 am

Matches Malone wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:34 am
emperior wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:39 amGoing by your idea then One Piece should be an infinite cour series too considering how it’s been going on for more than 20 years.
The difference is that One Piece despite being long, still has an ending in mind it plans to reach (which, according to some people, might be sooner than later). DB however is currently being written with the intention of lasting as long as possible, going as far as to establish an entire division dedicated to it so that it can continue past Toriyama's (lack of) involvement.
The fact that right now they won’t do anything at all without Toriyama’s involvement is telling that once he wants Super to end, then it’s over.

An infinite cour series doesn’t suddenly end with no announcement regarding its future after a movie.
Which confirms that Toriyama is still the one who has full control over the story, or else the DB room would have written new unimportant stories for Toei to bring the anime back as soon as possible.
It’s even more telling because after Broly it was the BEST time to milk Super new stories, while waiting for Toriyama to write new ones, yet they didn’t do anything except for Toyotaro who is directly supervised by Toriyama.

All of this even makes me doubt they will ever even continue DB once Toriyama ends it.

And even the original Dragon Ball manga never had an ending planned from the beginning: it doesn’t mean it was written with the idea of being neverending.
The writing of Super STILL keeps the passing of time in mind. So it’s not even comparable to shows such as Pokemon.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:30 am

I'm not going to repeat myself. Dragon Ball and One Piece both effectively now run as infinite cour series where major change and conclusion are not reached. Dragon Ball doesn't end, it pauses. This is why Super occurs as a midquel.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:59 am

emperior wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:42 amThe fact that right now they won’t do anything at all without Toriyama’s involvement is telling that once he wants Super to end, then it’s over.
He himself said he wants them to go on without him, which is why Toyotaro is now getting a bigger role in the story and why the DB room was established.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:54 pm

Matches Malone wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:59 am
emperior wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:42 amThe fact that right now they won’t do anything at all without Toriyama’s involvement is telling that once he wants Super to end, then it’s over.
He himself said he wants them to go on without him, which is why Toyotaro is now getting a bigger role in the story and why the DB room was established.
Yeah, so Toriyama is stepping back in terms of his overall role and letting these other people like Toytaro take the story wherever they want it moving toward with the more recent stuff including Super. Compared to when the original manga was running it's serialization in Shonen Jump where it was basically himself and the multiple succession of editors (Torishima.etc) he had over the course of that just over a decade.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:33 pm

I really doubt that Super itself, the main canonical timeline of Toriyama's Dragonball will continue without him. Iyo even said if Toriyama didn't want to write this Broly movie then it wasn't going to happen.

Remember, Toriyama only got back in because he didn't realize how much he cared for it when America messed DB up with that evolution movie. DBS as a story definitely will have an end. It just most likely depends on how long Toriyama wants it to continue.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:54 pm

The fact we have no idea if the Moro arc will even ever be animated speaks volumes of how they see non-Toriyama written stuff.

It is not Toriyama’s arc therefore it’s unimportant, or not as important as what comes directly from Toriyama, even though it’s Dragon Ball, it’s selling well and it’s seemingly been received well by the majority of the fans. Moro and Merus haven’t even gotten any merchandise yet and there’s not a single mention of Moro in any other piece of DB media besides the manga.
Not in Heroes, not in Dokkan Battle.
Sure, someone could argue they may be “hiding” him from the more casual general fanbase so that he will feel much newer once they animate the arc, but that’s quite of a stretch and I doubt it is the case.

Honestly if Super was such a cash grab meant to go on forever as people say it is then why isn’t it already back on TV?
It’s clear as day that they are too afraid to do stuff without Toriyama, thus he still has all the control over the story and it means DB will probably really end forever once he decides to end it for good.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Fri May 01, 2020 6:50 pm

emperior wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:54 pm The fact we have no idea if the Moro arc will even ever be animated speaks volumes of how they see non-Toriyama written stuff.

It is not Toriyama’s arc therefore it’s unimportant.
I'll never understand why fans think this arc won't be animated.

Toyotaro said Toriyama wrote the arc with him.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sat May 02, 2020 2:05 pm

Moro arc screams like filler to me, hope they keep it as manga-only and after the Broly retold arc, we get a new one
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sat May 02, 2020 3:09 pm

Matches Malone wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 6:50 pm
emperior wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:54 pm The fact we have no idea if the Moro arc will even ever be animated speaks volumes of how they see non-Toriyama written stuff.

It is not Toriyama’s arc therefore it’s unimportant.
I'll never understand why fans think this arc won't be animated.

Toyotaro said Toriyama wrote the arc with him.
I want it animated, but I am still not sure they will animate it.

The main problem is: what if the next movie, which is the only thing we are getting for certain regarding animated Super, happens before they ever animate Moro’s arc?
Then it will most likely written by Toriyama who most likely will write it once again with only his outlines in mind. Therefore he won’t consider any recent developments from the manga, such as Vegeta being much stronger and Goku being able to use UI Omen at will.

And if the next movie really comes out before a TV show, then I will bet that they have decided to go Movies-only with the manga filling in the gaps with filler-ish stories.

Of course I would expect that eventually, be it in a year or 10 years, Moro’s arc will be animated.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Sat May 02, 2020 4:29 pm

emperior wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 3:09 pmWhat if the next movie happens before they ever animate Moro’s arc? Then it will most likely written by Toriyama who most likely will write it once again with only his outlines in mind. Therefore he won’t consider any recent developments from the manga, such as Vegeta being much stronger and Goku being able to use UI Omen at will.
Everything going on in the manga is getting approved and even co-written by Toriyama. I just can't see him approving and even contributing to such developments, only to ignore them in his next story. If this was meant as a filler arc, he wouldn't allow these developments to take place in it, nor would he bother working on it.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue May 05, 2020 6:48 am

It is not Toriyama’s arc therefore it’s unimportant, or not as important as what comes directly from Toriyama, even though it’s Dragon Ball, it’s selling well and it’s seemingly been received well by the majority of the fans. Moro and Merus haven’t even gotten any merchandise yet and there’s not a single mention of Moro in any other piece of DB media besides the manga.
Not in Heroes, not in Dokkan Battle.
Sure, someone could argue they may be “hiding” him from the more casual general fanbase so that he will feel much newer once they animate the arc, but that’s quite of a stretch and I doubt it is the case.

Honestly if Super was such a cash grab meant to go on forever as people say it is then why isn’t it already back on TV?
It’s clear as day that they are too afraid to do stuff without Toriyama, thus he still has all the control over the story and it means DB will probably really end forever once he decides to end it for good.
That's precisely why I say manga is just a side thing it doesn't affect the franchise in anyway. Bandai basically admitted it with Broly saying SSG Vegeta took marketing preference over SSG Goku because it was SSG Vegeta's first appearance despite the form being in the manga a while ago.

Toyotaro's manga has no weight so that's why he is allowed to do whatever and ruin the likes of UI.
Matches Malone wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 4:29 pm
emperior wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 3:09 pmWhat if the next movie happens before they ever animate Moro’s arc? Then it will most likely written by Toriyama who most likely will write it once again with only his outlines in mind. Therefore he won’t consider any recent developments from the manga, such as Vegeta being much stronger and Goku being able to use UI Omen at will.
Everything going on in the manga is getting approved and even co-written by Toriyama. I just can't see him approving and even contributing to such developments, only to ignore them in his next story. If this was meant as a filler arc, he wouldn't allow these developments to take place in it, nor would he bother working on it.
Toriyama stamps his approval on everything, it means jack. Of course he can ignore just look at the ToP stuff.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Wed May 06, 2020 12:08 am

I myself certainly have no interest in seeing the current manga arc in animated form. In fact, I’d actually prefer that it doesn’t get animated. If we’re going to get more animated Dragon Ball content, I’d rather they just stick with movies.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Wed May 06, 2020 5:58 am

WittyUsername wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 12:08 am If we’re going to get more animated Dragon Ball content, I’d rather they just stick with movies.
As much as I like the movies, I think an animated show allows for more opportunities with the stories due to it not being limited to a 2 hour run time.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Wed May 06, 2020 6:31 am

Honestly they should make both a TV show and movies every once and then like One Piece.

A great weekly TV show is better than yearly movies by the way.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Wed May 06, 2020 6:50 am

Matches Malone wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 5:58 am
WittyUsername wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 12:08 am If we’re going to get more animated Dragon Ball content, I’d rather they just stick with movies.
As much as I like the movies, I think an animated show allows for more opportunities with the stories due to it not being limited to a 2 hour run time.
I don’t think I can find it in me to keep up with another 20+ episode story arc. It doesn’t help that any television series will inevitably not be as well animated as a movie. Plus, I don’t know how much longer Masako Nozawa can keep things up. She’s getting up there.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Wed May 06, 2020 7:41 am

WittyUsername wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 6:50 amIt doesn’t help that any television series will inevitably not be as well animated as a movie.

I don’t know how much longer Masako Nozawa can keep things up. She’s getting up there.
If a movie is a 10, a well planned series can easily be an 8.

I think her replacement has long been decided, so her stepping down isn't going to stop the franchise.

Psajdak
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Psajdak » Wed May 06, 2020 9:01 am

Not that I am all that much interested in current Moro arc, except for seeing results of Vegeta's training on Yardrat, but I do kinda wish to hear Moro talking.

One of the best things about Dragon Ball franchise is that its characters always had amazing voice actors; even Jiren, who barely talks had incredibly fitting voice for him.

IMO, Moro would sound really good with Akio Otsuka's voice.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu May 07, 2020 8:58 am

WittyUsername wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 12:08 am I myself certainly have no interest in seeing the current manga arc in animated form. In fact, I’d actually prefer that it doesn’t get animated. If we’re going to get more animated Dragon Ball content, I’d rather they just stick with movies.
There is nothing unique about this arc 100% better left un animated, retread after another ffs he gave us ResF 2.0.

Thank god we never got to see his Broly... just thinking how awful that would've been...yikes.