Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by ekrolo2 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:50 pm

RandomGuy96 wrote:
The simple truth is there just aren't many good DB fancomics.

Hell, once you cut out "Broly IV: The Quest for Broly", "old enemies return" and "superpowered relative of old enemy", there's practically no DB fancomics at all.

Interestingly his descriptions of stock shitty DB fanfics were all came back in official media recently (Super Broly, Freeza coming back three times, and Frost; if you count supplemental stuff there's also Golden Cooler).
Luckily, "Who Wants To Be a Superhero?" exists as a the single beacon of light in the turd mountain of DB fan comics.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:53 pm

RandomGuy96 wrote:Interestingly his descriptions of stock shitty DB fanfics were all came back in official media recently (Super Broly, Freeza coming back three times, and Frost; if you count supplemental stuff there's also Golden Cooler).
There's also Towa who is Dabura's sister. If he said "superpowered relative of old character" and not old enemy specifically then Zamasu may also count assuming all Kaioshin are somewhat related :P.

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:58 pm

Skar wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:Interestingly his descriptions of stock shitty DB fanfics were all came back in official media recently (Super Broly, Freeza coming back three times, and Frost; if you count supplemental stuff there's also Golden Cooler).
There's also Towa who is Dabura's sister. If he said "superpowered relative of old character" and not old enemy specifically then Zamasu may also count assuming all Kaioshin are somewhat related :P.
Can't believe I missed Towa. He missed "Evil Goku" for stock DB fanfics too.
ekrolo2 wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
The simple truth is there just aren't many good DB fancomics.

Hell, once you cut out "Broly IV: The Quest for Broly", "old enemies return" and "superpowered relative of old enemy", there's practically no DB fancomics at all.

Interestingly his descriptions of stock shitty DB fanfics were all came back in official media recently (Super Broly, Freeza coming back three times, and Frost; if you count supplemental stuff there's also Golden Cooler).
Luckily, "Who Wants To Be a Superhero?" exists as a the single beacon of light in the turd mountain of DB fan comics.
We all know that there's only one real good DB fanfic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6WYxD17Wn0
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

Amir
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Amir » Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:02 pm

Miracles wrote:
Amir wrote:But my point about limit breaker Jiren is factual.
It isn't. First of all Jiren didn't break his limits but released dormant power he already had.
Secondly that dormant power was not defined or compared to Beerus at all.
Especially when you got an anime magazine only QUESTIONING if UI Goku, who beat that Jiren is stronger than Beerus.
You even have the Shounen magazine QUESTIONING if Broly himself is stronger than a god of destruction too.
Your point about Jiren's power being dormant or not is irrelevant.

What do you mean? Whis suggest Jirem might have been beyond GoD state way while being suppressed, so with his new power up he is definitely much stronger.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:06 pm

RandomGuy96 wrote:
Skar wrote:
They took it a step further with an evil Goku that has pink hair and black clothes like that 2009 Deviantart picture. Merged Zamasu may have been inspired by Xicor since they're both white-haired Saiyan/Kaioshin hybrids. This could all just be coincidental...or is it???

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:25 pm

BlueBasilisk wrote:https://twitter.com/TOYOTARO_Vjump/stat ... 2972778497 Here's that poster I mentioned before. I'm not sure what the text says but it might be helpful if you'd like to get a physical copy for yourself.
Thanks. Looks good.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:53 pm

prince212 wrote:I’d like a seasonal format that elevates anime quality to the next level, DBS was just some chapters here and there. Dragon Ball deserves that, and no movie adaptations... That’s pathetic.
While I agree with your thoughts, first you have to question if a seasonal anime would give the same profit to the franchise as a weekly did it. That's basically what Dragon Ball is now, not saying that Z and it's old movies weren't before, but it's more apparent now. So I don't think Toei cares much about investing in maximum quality if they are not profiting enough.
HeroR wrote:How is cutting to Pilaf new when the Cell Saga had a bunch of cuts to Mr. Satan given pointless commentary? Or cuts on Namek where we get the misadventures of Bulma even when Freeza was torturing the heroes? This isn’t something new to Super or ‘modern’ anime.
Also, I don't see how that's a problem at all, sure it can get annoying, but remember that Universe Survival arc was just mindless fighting without any cuts, so it got tiresome pretty fast.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

prince212
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by prince212 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:51 pm

Noah wrote:
prince212 wrote:I’d like a seasonal format that elevates anime quality to the next level, DBS was just some chapters here and there. Dragon Ball deserves that, and no movie adaptations... That’s pathetic.
While I agree with your thoughts, first you have to question if a seasonal anime would give the same profit to the franchise as a weekly did it. That's basically what Dragon Ball is now, not saying that Z and it's old movies weren't before, but it's more apparent now. So I don't think Toei cares much about investing in maximum quality if they are not profiting enough.
i have my hopes that their marketing studies for the future of the franchise will point out that in order to milk de cow for the years to come the previous model is just gonna burn out soon , won’t attract new audience and they’re start to lose them ... do they stop the weekly anime because of the broly movie , audience not enough?
It was as if a whole lot of people ...were screaming in pain....

theTUN
Not-So-Newbie

Post by theTUN » Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:51 pm

Skar wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
Skar wrote: There's also Towa who is Dabura's sister. If he said "superpowered relative of old character" and not old enemy specifically then Zamasu may also count assuming all Kaioshin are somewhat related :P.
They took it a step further with an evil Goku that has pink hair and black clothes like that 2009 Deviantart picture. Merged Zamasu may have been inspired by Xicor since they're both white-haired Saiyan/Kaioshin hybrids. This could all just be coincidental...or is it???
Yeah it's coincidental.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:17 pm

theTUN wrote:
Skar wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote: Can't believe I missed Towa. He missed "Evil Goku" for stock DB fanfics too.
Yeah it's coincidental.
Well I was only joking but who knows to be honest. I mean all you have to do is type "Dragonball fan comic/manga" into Google so I wouldn't be surprised if someone at Toei or Shueisha did that in order to get some inspiration or were at least curious to see what's out there.

theTUN
Not-So-Newbie

Post by theTUN » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:26 pm

Skar wrote:
theTUN wrote:
Skar wrote: They took it a step further with an evil Goku that has pink hair and black clothes like that 2009 Deviantart picture. Merged Zamasu may have been inspired by Xicor since they're both white-haired Saiyan/Kaioshin hybrids. This could all just be coincidental...or is it???
Yeah it's coincidental.
Well I was only joking but who knows to be honest. I mean all you have to do is type "Dragonball fan comic/manga" into Google so I wouldn't be surprised if someone at Toei or Shueisha did that in order to get some inspiration or were at least curious to see what's out there.
The idea for Zamasu came from Toriyama, who I'm pretty sure doesn't even know what the internet is. Apparently he hadn't seen the first Broly movie until a few months ago.

theTUN
Not-So-Newbie

Post by theTUN » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:27 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote:
PFM18 wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote: Yeah. That was just a troll. The person tweeted that out as a joke yesterday and some people caught on in the comments bt others didn’t i guess. He tweeted an old scan. Its too early for V-Jump leaks on the 13th. Wait til tomorrow (the 15th) to start expected leaks.
Wait we could get leaks about the movie tomorrow? That's awesome!

I honestly can't even fully rationalize why I am so excited for this movie. When I heard it was a Broly movie I was infuriated
Yeah. Between the 15th and 21th is when you should be expecting leaks.

And same. I was hoping for some completely uncharted lore territory. Stuff with Sadala, ancient saiyans, lore, etc. and we got Broly. And it seems like the only new lore we’re gonna get is Broly’s backstory since we already know Vegeta’s backstory for the most part and we’ve seen Goku’s tons of times.

I guess its because i still have hope that it can somehow all tie in. That, and no matter what, new dragon ball content always gets me hyped.
What makes you think we won't still get Ancient Saiyan lore?

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:35 pm

theTUN wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote:
PFM18 wrote:
Wait we could get leaks about the movie tomorrow? That's awesome!

I honestly can't even fully rationalize why I am so excited for this movie. When I heard it was a Broly movie I was infuriated
Yeah. Between the 15th and 21th is when you should be expecting leaks.

And same. I was hoping for some completely uncharted lore territory. Stuff with Sadala, ancient saiyans, lore, etc. and we got Broly. And it seems like the only new lore we’re gonna get is Broly’s backstory since we already know Vegeta’s backstory for the most part and we’ve seen Goku’s tons of times.

I guess its because i still have hope that it can somehow all tie in. That, and no matter what, new dragon ball content always gets me hyped.
Just going off of what we have now, nothing seems to have to do with ancient saiyan lore. Broly isn’t an ancient saiyan and no one has been revealed in the movies that is connected to ancient saiyan lore.

The only connection we might have depends on whether or not they give us lore on where Broly’s LSSJ form is from
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:00 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote:
theTUN wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote: Yeah. Between the 15th and 21th is when you should be expecting leaks.

Just going off of what we have now, nothing seems to have to do with ancient saiyan lore. Broly isn’t an ancient saiyan and no one has been revealed in the movies that is connected to ancient saiyan lore.

The only connection we might have depends on whether or not they give us lore on where Broly’s LSSJ form is from
We clearly see several flashbacks to old Saiyan times in the trailer and we clearly see what is Planet Vegeta in the promotional material. We will undoubtedly get new saiyan lore in this movie, whether it can be described as "ancient saiyan lore" is kind of a different story. Planet Vegeta didn't blow up that long ago so seeing events on Planet Vegeta wouldn't really constitute being ancient.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:34 pm

theTUN wrote:The idea for Zamasu came from Toriyama, who I'm pretty sure doesn't even know what the internet is. Apparently he hadn't seen the first Broly movie until a few months ago.
According to the main site, Toriyama put together the idea of the Future Trunks saga based on a suggestion from the editorial office. I don't know if it was ever revealed what that suggestion was but there's also the fact that Toriyama was the one who apparently chose Toyotaro to work on the manga of DBS. For him to make that decision, Toriyama would at least have to be aware of Toyotaro's previous work.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:28 pm

Skar wrote:
theTUN wrote:The idea for Zamasu came from Toriyama, who I'm pretty sure doesn't even know what the internet is. Apparently he hadn't seen the first Broly movie until a few months ago.
According to the main site, Toriyama put together the idea of the Future Trunks saga based on a suggestion from the editorial office. I don't know if it was ever revealed what that suggestion was but there's also the fact that Toriyama was the one who apparently chose Toyotaro to work on the manga of DBS. For him to make that decision, Toriyama would at least have to be aware of Toyotaro's previous work.
No. Please stop with the lies! No offense.

I’m tired of seeing people say Toyotaro is Toriyama’s hand-picked, chosen successor and all that.

Shueisha was the one who picked him up. Toriyama had nothing to do with it. He just went along with it.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:35 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote:No. Please stop with the lies! No offense.

I’m tired of seeing people say Toyotaro is Toriyama’s hand-picked, chosen successor and all that.

Shueisha was the one who picked him up. Toriyama had nothing to do with it. He just went along with it.
I see, sorry about that. I'm against the spread of misinformation and hearsay which is why I only have faith in the main site for Dragonball news. I should've checked on there to make sure. Do you have a source that states Shueisha picked Toyotaro?

prince212
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by prince212 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:53 pm

Skar wrote:

I see, sorry about that. I'm against the spread of misinformation and hearsay which is why I only have faith in the main site for Dragonball news. I should've checked on there to make sure. Do you have a source that states Shueisha picked Toyotaro?
To Say that Toriyama had nothing to do with toyotaro being chosen to draw his product it’s going too far . So you are saying that Toriyama is Shueisha,s toy ?
I can take that Shueisha pick him , but I can’t take that Shueisha didn’t ask Toriyama for his approval or to choose one in between 3-4 candidates that fit into the requirements... I just can’t believe Toriyama had nothing to do with who is gonna draw his product
It was as if a whole lot of people ...were screaming in pain....

Meshack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Meshack » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:19 pm

prince212 wrote:
Skar wrote:

To Say that Toriyama had nothing to do with toyotaro being chosen to draw his product it’s going too far . So you are saying that Toriyama is Shueisha,s toy ?
I can take that Shueisha pick him , but I can’t take that Shueisha didn’t ask Toriyama for his approval or to choose one in between 3-4 candidates that fit into the requirements... I just can’t believe Toriyama had nothing to do with who is gonna draw his product
Yeah. I mean, Toriyama was even consulted on the Yamcha comic. To say Toriyama didn’t choose him is like saying Toriyama didn’t choose Nozawa because he’s not part of Toei but we know he did choose Nozawa. Toriyama probably had a hand in it but we don’t know.

theTUN
Not-So-Newbie

Post by theTUN » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:27 pm

Skar wrote:
I don't doubt that Toriyama has probably read at least some of Toyotaro's manga at some point, I just don't think he remembers any of it.