Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

sintzu
Banned

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by sintzu » Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:12 am

BlueBasilisk wrote:
sintzu wrote:You pre-ordered without actually knowing if it's Gogeta ? :wtf: What if they're just new Mr. Satan figures ? :lol:
Are you implying there's a better investment than THE CHAMP? :thumbup:
Of course not as The Champ himself taking down Broly has been a fan's dream for as long as I can remember. 8)
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:10 pm

Raphael_Z wrote:Goku is 13 at the start of DB and 17 when he kills Piccolo yet he retains his kid design, it is only during the Piccolo Jr. Saga that he gets an adult-looking design. By comparison, Gohan is 10-11 when he kills Cell yet he looks way older than 17 year old Goku.

Trunks and Goten are 18 and 17 years old at EoZ and they also look way older than 17 year old Goku, during the most recent Super saga they're 14 and 13 (the SAME age as Goku at the beginning of DB) and they also look older than Goku at the same age.

So yeah, Gohan aside, Saiyans look like kids for most of their teen years then go through a huge and sudden growth spur. Yes, it is frustrating to see Goten and Trunks having the same 'old designs but it's not something worth obsessing over when you take into account how slowly Goku aged in the original series.
The comparison with Goku is completely flawed, you know. Goku a pure Saiyan while all the others are hybrids. Both Gohan and Trunks did not inherit Saiyans' characteristics. Their growth is more human-like than Saiyan-like. I'll give you Goten since his height as a pre-teen/teen was never established/seen beforehand though, so he may have inherited Saiyans' characteristics. But then you realize Goten does not stand as his own character, he lives through Trunks, what happens to Trunks will most likely happen to Goten too. If Trunks was portrayed correctly (i.e. if he was taller now), Goten would be taller too, which would mean Goten also didn't inherited Saiyans' characteristics, and it would mean Goten is also portrayed inaccurately.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:59 pm

The My Hero Academia movie just made $1.8 million in 2 days in the US. About half of what Resurrection F did. That's pretty good actually and a potential good sign for this movie which you'd expect would do much better.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:33 pm

Who else hopes after the events of Dragon Ball Minus we see what happens to Gine and we see what leads up to Bardock retaliating against Freeza?

We know that Bardock should somehow still end up in his classic armor with a red headband and fighting against Freeza since it was all shown in the manga. I feel like it would be stupid to retcon all of that. According to dbwiki, there is about one month between Planet Vegeta’s Destruction and Bardock and Gine sending Goku away. Bluntly of time.

One of my friends came up with the idea that maybe Bardock gets his blood red headband from Gine dying rather than his squad. I really like this concept.

Another question i have is who will be telling this flashback? Why would Paragus know Bardock’s story? Unless they were pals and Bardock told him everything. But other than that, who else could tell us this story? And how will Goku react? There’s a good chance he might not care.

Edit: Maybe Paragus and Bardock were friends. And after Bardock sent Goku away due to his suspicions, he warned Paragus to get him and his son off Planet or something.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

omaro34
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omaro34 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:05 pm

I've been so busy I havent been keeping up with movie updates. Is Bardock going to be appearing?
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:11 pm

omaro34 wrote:I've been so busy I havent been keeping up with movie updates. Is Bardock going to be appearing?
Most definitely
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:59 pm

Bullza wrote:The My Hero Academia movie just made $1.8 million in 2 days in the US. About half of what Resurrection F did. That's pretty good actually and a potential good sign for this movie which you'd expect would do much better.
I have a hunch that Broly might end up getting a legit wide release in North America. They haven't said yet whether it's going to be in theatres for a limited amount of time or not, but they should definitely go all in since January is such a dead month for movies and Dragon Ball is now bigger than ever. The fact that it had such a big presence at SDCC should be a sign of the film's larger release this time around.

vashter
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by vashter » Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:50 pm

Image do not know if this been post or I'm not sure if I'm late but has date for us

Raphael_Z
Beyond Newbie

Post by Raphael_Z » Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:12 am

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:04 am

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:I have a hunch that Broly might end up getting a legit wide release in North America. They haven't said yet whether it's going to be in theatres for a limited amount of time or not, but they should definitely go all in since January is such a dead month for movies and Dragon Ball is now bigger than ever. The fact that it had such a big presence at SDCC should be a sign of the film's larger release this time around.
I don't know if it'll get a wide release, it could as anything over 2,000 I think is considered wide but it'll definitely be wider than the last one because that opened wider than Battle of Gods but it was still underestimated.

They'd do well not to do that this time. I can't imagine a Dragon Ball anime movie having more potential to do well than this one.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:11 am

Almost two months before the movie, no release dates for UK and Europe yet?

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:39 am

Raphael_Z wrote:http://dragonball.wikia.com/wiki/Dragon ... per:_Broly

So...no Gohan at all? Damn... :wtf:
We've yet to hear or see anything of him, not even a name drop so it looks like he'll be completely off screen.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

CTAkuma
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by CTAkuma » Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:09 pm

sintzu wrote:
Raphael_Z wrote:http://dragonball.wikia.com/wiki/Dragon ... per:_Broly

So...no Gohan at all? Damn... :wtf:
We've yet to hear or see anything of him, not even a name drop so it looks like he'll be completely off screen.
At this point after a random spider got design sheets before Gohan, it's time to give up hope on him having any major influence in the movie. He will probably get a cameo or a short conversation but nothing more than that.

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:05 pm

Why do people even bother hoping Gohan would get some shine? We all know how it goes. Time after time, both Toriyama and Toei have proven that they don’t care about Gohan. That much has been made clear ever since Super debuted.

This is exactly why my favorite characters of the Z cast are Goku and Vegeta. This way, i will never get dissapointed. Sure, Vegeta may job from time to time, but at least he always gets some shine and is usually always right up there with Goku. No dissapointments for me. At some point you’re just going to have to give up on certain characters, and Gohan is one of them.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:32 pm

GodVegetto91 wrote:Why do people even bother hoping Gohan would get some shine? We all know how it goes. Time after time, both Toriyama and Toei have proven that they don’t care about Gohan. That much has been made clear ever since Super debuted.

This is exactly why my favorite characters of the Z cast are Goku and Vegeta. This way, i will never get dissapointed. Sure, Vegeta may job from time to time, but at least he always gets some shine and is usually always right up there with Goku. No dissapointments for me. At some point you’re just going to have to give up on certain characters, and Gohan is one of them.

Most people can't exactly choose who they like. Characters like Goku or Vegeta aren't everyone's cup of tea, so Super giving those two all the limelight won't make someone that isn't inclined to like them, you know, like them. DBZ is the reason most of the western fandom exists and Gohan has a major presence there. People will just keep on hoping.

ricky84
Banned Alternate Account

Post by ricky84 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:43 pm

Michsi wrote:
GodVegetto91 wrote:Why do people even bother hoping Gohan would get some shine? We all know how it goes. Time after time, both Toriyama and Toei have proven that they don’t care about Gohan. That much has been made clear ever since Super debuted.

Most people can't exactly choose who they like. Characters like Goku or Vegeta aren't everyone's cup of tea, so Super giving those two all the limelight won't make someone that isn't inclined to like them, you know, like them. DBZ is the reason most of the western fandom exists and Gohan has a major presence there. People will just keep on hoping.
Throwing Gohan to the side was a huge mistake whether you like the character or not. What was the point of giving him all this potential if he's never gonna exploit it fully? Its wasteful, bad writing.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:59 pm

Miracles wrote:
BlueBasilisk wrote:http://www.newyorkcomiccon.com/en/Sessi ... uper-Broly
"Never-before-seen announcements," eh? :think:
That Ultra Instinct Goku will be in the movie? :lol:
More depth into Freeza's plan.
More info on the new characters.
You know, I much prefer seeing completed UI Goku than Gogeta as a plot device to defeat Broly. Just imagining The Final Death Match playing again on the big screen, give me goosebumps.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

CTAkuma
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by CTAkuma » Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:09 pm

Noah wrote:
Miracles wrote:
BlueBasilisk wrote:http://www.newyorkcomiccon.com/en/Sessi ... uper-Broly
"Never-before-seen announcements," eh? :think:
You know, I much prefer seeing completed UI Goku than Gogeta as a plot device to defeat Broly. Just imagining The Final Death Match playing again on the big screen, give me goosebumps.
People who say "They shouldn't spam UI" are also the ones who want Gogeta in the movie even though they are literally spamming Fusions in almost every arc with Fusion Zamasu, Vegetto Blue, Kefla, Gotenks and now possibly Gogeta

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:15 pm

It isn't that Toei/Toriyama don't care about Gohan, it is that his "time in the sun" is over. He just no longer plays a central role in the narrative because he fit into it very well for a time but that time has since passed. They shouldn't be giving Gohan spotlight/focus just for the sake of it.(or for the sake of fan-service)

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:15 pm

CTAkuma wrote:
Noah wrote:
Miracles wrote:
People who say "They shouldn't spam UI" are also the ones who want Gogeta in the movie even though they are literally spamming Fusions in almost every arc with Fusion Zamasu, Vegetto Blue, Kefla, Gotenks and now possibly Gogeta
But is that wrong. I want Gogeta in the movie and at the same time, i think they shouldn’t spam UI and for good reason. Is it wrong for some fans to not want UI, a form so highly held in regard in the god hierarchy, to become the next SSB where Goku can use it at any time?

Hell, its still bullshit how Goku got UI in the first place and already makes UI less special. But him being able to spam it at will? Next thing you know, we’ll be getting episodes where Goku goes up against Krillin and uses UI for some stupid reason just like what happened with Blue.

How about saving UI for an arc where the conflict is not just U7-contained. Save it for bigger situations.