Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

A Man named RJ
Beyond Newbie

Re: Official "DB Super 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by A Man named RJ » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:46 am

So let me explain why this is such a stupid idea.

Dragon Ball has a massive ocean of ideas it can execute to stay fresh even within it's own damn lore. Magic exists right? Why do villains have to train their way to match goku? why cant they just create magical forces that Goku will have to puzzle his way around? Kinda like Boo was before they just turned him into a generic fighter and then removed him altogether because he's kinda broken?

Looking at series like Jojo, and One Piece, and Hunter x Hunter they always manage to reinvent the wheel (even if i still cant stand those fucking ants) in a way that feels fresh. Fights are better balanced, and a strength ceiling typically cant be reached because each fight requires the brain, instead of a bigger power level. A viallain doesnt have to be physically powerful to contest Goku. Perhaps a mage makes something that cannot be killed by conventional Ki attacks, and goku has to learn the magic that exists in DB to help fight this force. Any one of these ideas requires creativity but given DB's rich lore it can be done. So why isn't it? Because Broly is easy fan-service. No matter how good or bad the movie is, ignorant masses will still blindly consume it. And regardless of it's quality just by virtue of being "MOAR DRAGON BALL" they will BEG for more.

But then, I ask, if fans are just gonna do this anyway, why not push new frontiers and ideas? people forget Before he was a saiyan with power-levels, Goku was a magical boy with a magical orb that granted magical wishes via a magical dragon and transformed into a magical giant ape. You can incorporate entire dimensions for Goku to fight in with this setup alone. You can literally remove his powers and have him have to learn to deal because of magic. You can Create vast alternate realities, and unkillables that Goku has to overcome. There is SO much potential for Dragon Ball. Give the guy a STAND for all I fucking care - just give me something different. Remember when a dinosaur with body gum fought Goku?

So many other explorable avenues, just to keep on rehashing the same ideas. The same exact thing is happening over in the Sonic fandom, and frankly I'm growing tired of it
I am an Animator, Illustrator, and Voice Actor. Check out MY Animation Thesis! HERE

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:52 am

Dragono wrote:
sintzu wrote:
Kaiosama wrote:Wow... This is so disappointing. Next up... DBS Movie #2 Golden Cooler
If Broly can be bright back then nothing's off the table.
actaul i think broly and bojack are the only villains that can come back and fit in the timeline.
Broly Being bright back has nothing to do with his ability to fit within the timeline as this'll be a different Broly from the one we know.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Dragono
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dragono » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:54 am

Anonymous Friend wrote:
PFM18 wrote:
Bullza wrote:If they change him too much then he won't be anything like Broly and fans will complain that it's just Broly in name only.
I don't care if people complain about that. To me that is the best case scenario. A new "Broly" but he is only Broly by name and is instead an interesting character that is part of the greatest DB movie of all time. A Broly that has a real backstory, interesting motives, a nuanced personality and an interesting transformation with tie-ins to the origins of the Saiyans. THAT is what I want. The less like the original Broly the better IMO. That way this Broly could wipe the old Broly out of everyone's memory and be forgotten forever. Toriyama's Dragon Ball Super Broly would completely overshadow Toei's Dragon Ball Z Broly.

A man can dream.

I am disappointed by this news of it being about Broly but with that being said no matter what they did with this movie people would whine and complain about it. That is how things are in 2018. The negative rhetoric dominates always
This goes beyond dream and deep into a realm so twisted that modern medicine have teems for hiw deluded and i sane it might be.

I mean, I love Toriyama's work as much as the next person, but he ain't giving us this. The Broly we will get will lean heavily in the direction of his original portrayal than in any sort if remaining. And that's fine. People like him because of the way he is.
Which one, because after the first one he lost the ability to speak in proper sentences.

Look, if Tori can alter Bardock in a manga chapter, he can do broly in a movie.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:02 am

A Man named RJ wrote:So let me explain why this is such a stupid idea.

Dragon Ball has a massive ocean of ideas it can execute to stay fresh even within it's own damn lore. Magic exists right? Why do villains have to train their way to match goku? why cant they just create magical forces that Goku will have to puzzle his way around? Kinda like Boo was before they just turned him into a generic fighter and then removed him altogether because he's kinda broken?

Looking at series like Jojo, and One Piece, and Hunter x Hunter they always manage to reinvent the wheel (even if i still cant stand those fucking ants) in a way that feels fresh. Fights are better balanced, and a strength ceiling typically cant be reached because each fight requires the brain, instead of a bigger power level. A viallain doesnt have to be physically powerful to contest Goku. Perhaps a mage makes something that cannot be killed by conventional Ki attacks, and goku has to learn the magic that exists in DB to help fight this force. Any one of these ideas requires creativity but given DB's rich lore it can be done. So why isn't it? Because Broly is easy fan-service. No matter how good or bad the movie is, ignorant masses will still blindly consume it. And regardless of it's quality just by virtue of being "MOAR DRAGON BALL" they will BEG for more.

But then, I ask, if fans are just gonna do this anyway, why not push new frontiers and ideas? people forget Before he was a saiyan with power-levels, Goku was a magical boy with a magical orb that granted magical wishes via a magical dragon and transformed into a magical giant ape. You can incorporate entire dimensions for Goku to fight in with this setup alone. You can literally remove his powers and have him have to learn to deal because of magic. You can Create vast alternate realities, and unkillables that Goku has to overcome. There is SO much potential for Dragon Ball. Give the guy a STAND for all I fucking care - just give me something different. Remember when a dinosaur with body gum fought Goku?

So many other explorable avenues, just to keep on rehashing the same ideas. The same exact thing is happening over in the Sonic fandom, and frankly I'm growing tired of it
If you couldn't tell they are following a pattern, multiverse story, U7 Story, multiverse story, U7 story.
Besides, Toriyama already said he's rewritten Broly and that this movie is supposed to cover the back story of the Saiyans, so it's not like it's a total rehash.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:06 am

Any open bets on a scene having New Broly tank Goku's Kamehameha, then grab him by the face?

Seriously, this movie might be starting to grow on me, this Broly has some small shoes to fill, all he needs is having a clear goal in the movie and in his life, one cool and original attack, and especially, (if he has any) his hatred directed to the actual cause of the problems in his life instead of directed at the one that perhaps helped to awaken at such an early stage, the massive power that ended up saving his life.

I mean, is not re-writing Mercutio, it's just Broly, so aside of the lazyness of not even thinking of a new name, I'm in.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:11 am

Kaiosama wrote:Wow... This is so disappointing. Next up... DBS Movie #2 Golden Cooler
I keep telling myself it'll be different since it is Toriyama's Broly not Toei's Broly. It is tough news but it can still be good
Dragono wrote:
Anonymous Friend wrote:
PFM18 wrote:
I don't care if people complain about that. To me that is the best case scenario. A new "Broly" but he is only Broly by name and is instead an interesting character that is part of the greatest DB movie of all time. A Broly that has a real backstory, interesting motives, a nuanced personality and an interesting transformation with tie-ins to the origins of the Saiyans. THAT is what I want. The less like the original Broly the better IMO. That way this Broly could wipe the old Broly out of everyone's memory and be forgotten forever. Toriyama's Dragon Ball Super Broly would completely overshadow Toei's Dragon Ball Z Broly.

A man can dream.

I am disappointed by this news of it being about Broly but with that being said no matter what they did with this movie people would whine and complain about it. That is how things are in 2018. The negative rhetoric dominates always
This goes beyond dream and deep into a realm so twisted that modern medicine have teems for hiw deluded and i sane it might be.

I mean, I love Toriyama's work as much as the next person, but he ain't giving us this. The Broly we will get will lean heavily in the direction of his original portrayal than in any sort if remaining. And that's fine. People like him because of the way he is.
Which one, because after the first one he lost the ability to speak in proper sentences.

Look, if Tori can alter Bardock in a manga chapter, he can do broly in a movie.
See but this isn't a matter of "altering" the character. This needs to be a complete reboot entirely if the character is going to be redeemed. Hopefully it is a better more imaginative version of him that is only loosely tied to the old Broly.
Last edited by PFM18 on Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:16 am

Koitsukai wrote:Seriously, this movie might be starting to grow on me.
Same here as I've always wanted to see a Vegeta Broly rematch.

A Man named RJ
Beyond Newbie

Post by A Man named RJ » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:18 am

So I notice if i point out that this is just a lazy cashgrab and present my wishes for new, inventive content no matter how constructive. Blind fanboys will tell me to "CRY MORE" They'd rather attack the fans that want to see the franchgise shine, then contribute to the franchise improving with new and cool ideas moving forward.

Every single day I grow to hate this fandom more and more. And it's usually the filthy casuals. The people who think color-sampling the orange bricks makes it look like the "Original DBZ"

Heres a comment I left on the topic in response to their bullshit:

The net result now is more series being made to pander to a specific audience over concocting a good or inventive story with good animation. Gone are the glory days of the late 80s and mid 1990s Anime will never see a period of that much passion again. You're never gonna get another Evangelion, or a 100 + episode series of ova like Legend of the Galactic heroes. Gone are the existential films of Satoshi Kon, and Mamoru Oshii.

So dragon ball has a rich magical lore. Its very foundation just screams creativity. So why just rehash the same concepts over and over again? Fans will enjoy it anyway, so why not produce new content? I'm Sick of Dragon ball just lazily rehashing old ideas for the sake of cash-grab fan-service and wish for it to conquer new, amazing horizons. But white-knights like yourself would much rather attack frustrated fans who point this out, rather than actually try to encourage the production of new, creative content from the series staff.

You dont care about the product. You just blindly consume for nostalgia's sake. And studios will keep doing just that. This is the death-cry of this franchise. And you let it happen.
This is why exactly why fandoms gatekeep. Nostalgia and normies kills every franchise it gets it dirty paws on, and it just so happens we have a fandom of people who think making "DA NEXT STRONG HYPE BEAST VILLAIN" is actually a replacement for good writing, and a strong base. Point this out and "OHH BUT DRAGON BALL HAS NEVER HAD GOOD WRITING, SO WHY CARE NOW THAT BETTER PRODUCTS EXIST TO COMPETE WITH IT?" No other industry on earth can get away with stagnation outside of anime and video-games, and thats because these awful fans would rather get pissed on for their alliances than pursue a good product. And studios realize this, and take advantage of it every. single. Time.
I am an Animator, Illustrator, and Voice Actor. Check out MY Animation Thesis! HERE

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:20 am

sintzu wrote:
See now Vegeta is essentially the secondary protagonist in Super compared to kind of being a glorified side character in Z. So he could realistically have a significant role and beat the crap out of Broly.

Also I hope they keep SSBE in this movie but I have a feeling that they won't.

TheShadowEmperor8055
Regular

Post by TheShadowEmperor8055 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:23 am

sintzu wrote:
I'll also admit I always found Vegeta's characterization in the first Broly film to be just awful, so I'm confident he won't be portrayed as a total uncooperative coward for most of the new film.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:25 am

A Man named RJ wrote:So I notice if i point out that this is just a lazy cashgrab and present my wishes for new, inventive content no matter how constructive. Blind fanboys will tell me to "CRY MORE" They'd rather attack the fans that want to see the franchgise shine, then contribute to the franchise improving with new and cool ideas moving forward.

Every single day I grow to hate this fandom more and more. And it's usually the filthy casuals. The people who think color-sampling the orange bricks makes it look like the "Original DBZ"

Heres a comment I left on the topic in response to their bullshit:

The net result now is more series being made to pander to a specific audience over concocting a good or inventive story with good animation. Gone are the glory days of the late 80s and mid 1990s Anime will never see a period of that much passion again. You're never gonna get another Evangelion, or a 100 + episode series of ova like Legend of the Galactic heroes. Gone are the existential films of Satoshi Kon, and Mamoru Oshii.

So dragon ball has a rich magical lore. Its very foundation just screams creativity. So why just rehash the same concepts over and over again? Fans will enjoy it anyway, so why not produce new content? I'm Sick of Dragon ball just lazily rehashing old ideas for the sake of cash-grab fan-service and wish for it to conquer new, amazing horizons. But white-knights like yourself would much rather attack frustrated fans who point this out, rather than actually try to encourage the production of new, creative content from the series staff.

You dont care about the product. You just blindly consume for nostalgia's sake. And studios will keep doing just that. This is the death-cry of this franchise. And you let it happen.
This is why exactly why fandoms gatekeep. Nostalgia and normies kills every franchise it gets it dirty paws on, and it just so happens we have a fandom of people who think making "DA NEXT STRONG HYPE BEAST VILLAIN" is actually a replacement for good writing, and a strong base. Point this out and "OHH BUT DRAGON BALL HAS NEVER HAD GOOD WRITING, SO WHY CARE NOW THAT BETTER PRODUCTS EXIST TO COMPETE WITH IT?" No other industry on earth can get away with stagnation outside of anime and video-games, and thats because these awful fans would rather get pissed on for their alliances than pursue a good product. And studios realize this, and take advantage of it every. single. Time.
A good amount of fans would rather see DB be original like it was back in the day but with how much $$$ it's making, what's the point of getting upset over something we can't change ? Fans like myself aren't happy because this is the best thing they could come up with but rather we're being open minded and hoping that such a lazy and overused idea will result in something good, even if it isn't original like what we hoped.

DB since RF has been living off of fan ideas and nostalgia and that's not going to change. Is that a good thing ? of course not but like I said, it's out of our hands.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:27 am

sintzu wrote:
I'm actually getting more and more curious about what they plan on doing with him. The only fear I have here is related to DB minus, in the sense that we have an example of Toriyama recreating anime-only characters and the end result not being very popular, but we know others are working on the plot this time too, so who knows.

I think the trailer is what will make or break it for a lot of people.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:29 am

PFM18 wrote:See now Vegeta is essentially the secondary protagonist in Super compared to kind of being a glorified side character in Z. So he could realistically have a significant role and beat the crap out of Broly.
TheShadowEmperor8055 wrote:I'll also admit I always found Vegeta's characterization in the first Broly film to be just awful, so I'm confident he won't be portrayed as a total uncooperative coward for most of the new film.
I'll take anything as long as it's not him nearly crying in fear like he did in Movie 8. Him being front and center of the poster and Toriyama mentioning him is enough to show that he'll put up a good fight and that's all I ask for.

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:31 am

So could Toei's sentence when they made Vegeta refer to Kale's form as that was some kind of true/original nature of a Super Saiyajin have been a hint because at this point they knew the story already and because Broly will be in a "Saiyajin origins story"? I really wonder.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:32 am

sintzu wrote:
PFM18 wrote:See now Vegeta is essentially the secondary protagonist in Super compared to kind of being a glorified side character in Z. So he could realistically have a significant role and beat the crap out of Broly.
TheShadowEmperor8055 wrote:I'll also admit I always found Vegeta's characterization in the first Broly film to be just awful, so I'm confident he won't be portrayed as a total uncooperative coward for most of the new film.
I'll take anything as long as it's not him nearly crying in fear like he did in Movie 8. Him being front and center of the poster and Toriyama mentioning him is enough to show that he'll put up a good fight and that's all I ask for.
Generally I think most of the DBZ movies are pretty bad and the Broly movies are the worst of them so I don't know how they could possibly do worse than the Broly trilogy from before. I mean their downright horrendous characterization of my favorite character cemented it as blacklisted garbage to me.

But still, I am excited to see Vegeta vs Broly(a not shit Broly this time) rematch. Have SSBE vs Berserker SSJ or whatever his form is going to be
Cetra wrote:So could Toei's sentence when they made Vegeta refer to Kale's form as that was some kind of true/original nature of a Super Saiyajin have been a hint because at this point they knew the story already and because Broly will be in a "Saiyajin origins story"? I really wonder.
That was just some epic foreshadowing is all. This movie has been in the works since May 2017 so they could have had this movie in mind when they wrote that line

Dark_Tzitzimine
Regular

Post by Dark_Tzitzimine » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:34 am

In a close look, this guy really looks like having the same kind of outline around his eyes than SSJ4 does.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:38 am

Dark_Tzitzimine wrote:Image

In a close look, this guy really looks like having the same kind of outline around his eyes than SSJ4 does.
You're not the only one who's pointed this out. It'll be interesting if they introduce Ssj4 through Broly but that might be asking for too much as there's also a chance Bardock and Gogeta will show up.
Cetra wrote:So could Toei's sentence when they made Vegeta refer to Kale's form as that was some kind of true/original nature of a Super Saiyajin have been a hint because at this point they knew the story already and because Broly will be in a "Saiyajin origins story"? I really wonder.
For sure as that's too big of a line to be a throw away knowing what's next.

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:40 am

I think it’s worth pointing out that Broly has a tail in this film (that’s if he’s actually that silhouette dude from that pamphlet a couple of months back). Did he have a tail in the previous Broly films?

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:41 am

Thank god I gave up on this corporate hack of a franchise or else I would be mad as hell. They got good staff this time which is kind of attracting me, but nope not going to give these corporate bastards my money.

My two cents. :)

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:41 am

sintzu wrote:
Dark_Tzitzimine wrote:Image

You're not the only one who's pointed this out. It'll be interesting if they introduce Ssj4 through Broly but that might be asking for too much as there's also a chance Bardock and Gogeta will show up.
For sure as that's too big of a line to be a throw away knowing what's next.
If Legendary and Berserker meld together through this movie I still hope Broly controls his LSSJ instead of getting a slimmer controlled form like Kale. It would just be too classic.
Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:I think it’s worth pointing out that Broly has a tail in this film (that’s if he’s actually that silhouette dude from that pamphlet a couple of months back). Did he have a tail in the previous Broly films?
He had in Akira Toriyama's concept art with the note it does not matter if he has one or not.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"