Super possibly losing its timeslot or going on hiatus in March?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Re: Super possibly losing its timeslot or going on hiatus in March?

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:26 pm

TheMikado wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
precita wrote:Ajay and Herms wouldn't be speculating this without good reason. Both have been in the Dragonball fandom for decades and are well respected mods and Herms translates all the Japanese summaries and info before anyone else. They are high up on the food chain just below VegettoEX. It's not like we're talking about your average joe blow from youtube or reddit.
Ajay literally just said it was pure 100000% speculation if anything Herms was opposing him as opposed to speculating with. I literally gave actual evidence on both sides yet you chose to ignore because a some "high up on the food chain" people are speculating... really?
I think there’s far more evidence particularly storywise, even at the end of Universe 6 Tournament arc people were speculating that a multi universe tournament would be the final arc. Now it’s here and we have multiple “signs” that this could be the case. I still think we need to wait for official news but logically this was foretold by most of the fandom before the ToP was even announced. The other stuff supporting it such as the time slots, the lack of new arc announced and the interview back in March that cause confusion all support the idea of it.
Why would the formally announce a new arc when the current one is still on going? Seems silly.

Right now there is no substantial evidence to suggest the show will end, in fact story wise suggests the opposite with the exempt universe and the Sadala trip teased again. Until there is something concrete like "Kitaro anime to air on Fuji TV in March" then this is all premature! And the signs for why the show won't end currently outweigh the for argument as I just posted.

Basaku
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Basaku » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:21 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote: .Nozawa recently said she hopes DBS goes on for 700 episodes (or a big number like that)
Would be the worst thing ever, stuck in the same 10-year period longer than all of original anime series combined, no time skips, no cast growth, end-point always known (EOZ). Very un-Dragon Ball which always evolved, moved forward and grew and the audience with it. No thanks, with all due respect to Ms. Nozawa. Of course, if we skip past-EOZ, that's a different thing

JulianStyles
Banned

Post by JulianStyles » Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:50 am

Hopefully. They really need to re-do how they go about things. The Anime and manga can't be so different and so far behind. The TOP and Super in general kept repeating the same story points. Power scale ia horrendous because too many authors are doing their own thing. Too many cooks in the kitchen.

TheUltimateNinja
I Live Here

Post by TheUltimateNinja » Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:03 am

Basaku wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote: .Nozawa recently said she hopes DBS goes on for 700 episodes (or a big number like that)
Would be the worst thing ever, stuck in the same 10-year period longer than all of original anime series combined, no time skips, no cast growth, end-point always known (EOZ). Very un-Dragon Ball which always evolved, moved forward and grew and the audience with it. No thanks, with all due respect to Ms. Nozawa. Of course, if we skip past-EOZ, that's a different thing
It's already been 2 years, there's only 3-4 years left until they hit EoZ.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:56 am

Going on a hiatus or not, Super definitely has to get over EoZ. A set ending is holding back the story from truly progressing. I don't get Toriyama's obsession with keeping the cast young considering he rarely uses the Earthlings anymore, and if ToP was set after EoZ who would care if Bulma, Tenshinan and Krillin have some wrinkles? All the other characters would still look the same.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Basaku
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Basaku » Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:59 am

TheUltimateNinja wrote:
Basaku wrote:
It's already been 2 years, there's only 3-4 years left until they hit EoZ.
And the next 600 episodes could all take place in those 3-4 years. It's unlikely, but could Toei/Toriyama do it? Yes they could. Buu saga takes places across few days, same with Universe Survival/TOP. They could milk this period forever really, which is what I'm afraid of

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:33 pm

Does this fandom have nothing better to do than to spread baseless rumours?

Super has been a runaway success for all parties involved (Bandai, Fuji TV, Toei and Shueisha.) I don't see any logical reason why the Production Committee would let one of Japan's biggest anime-based money spinners (at this moment) be suddenly pulled of the air. As much as I would like Super to take break, for the sake catching up on lost pre-production time and improving the general quality of the show, it ain't gonna happen because, well, money talks. And Dragon Ball Super right now is shouting at the top of its lungs.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:39 pm

Ajay and Herms would NEVER speak about this unless they had solid evidence for what they are saying. Even if they do end up being wrong.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:55 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:Ajay and Herms would NEVER speak about this unless they had solid evidence for what they are saying. Even if they do end up being wrong.
Ajay said it was "1000% speculation" on his part and Herms was saying he didn't really see why this new announcement would impact Super when only one of the various Kitaro series aired in Super's time slot (which was 10 years ago) and the original, which is the one mentioned in the anniversary announcement, aired on a different day entirely.

Again, the nature of this new Kitaro thing has not been announced yet. We don't know if it is a special, a movie, a tv series or what. They haven't even announced a date for it yet, only that something is coming.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:09 pm

That's also another thing I forgot to mention. Thanks!
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:22 pm

emperior wrote:or they could use the "Yo! Son Goku and his friends return!" designs, or something like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRPRvJ9Sn9A
I absolutely love that style. I wish we could see that more!

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:49 pm

emperior wrote:Going on a hiatus or not, Super definitely has to get over EoZ. A set ending is holding back the story from truly progressing. I don't get Toriyama's obsession with keeping the cast young considering he rarely uses the Earthlings anymore, and if ToP was set after EoZ who would care if Bulma, Tenshinan and Krillin have some wrinkles? All the other characters would still look the same.
Even then Super is probably going to retcon the last 3 episodes a bit, just like how the movies were changed in Super's episode adaptions.

Bulma will most likely keep her Super design. No way are they keeping that granny look for her in the last eps. Krillin actually didn't look too bad, just a little older. Yamcha looked slightly aged due to having a small ponytail. Everyone else looked basically the same. Oh forgot 18, maybe she'll keep her long hair.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:07 pm

I shouldn't have posted anything, really... at least, not on a site like Twitter where you can't really push out all the details as you'd like. It's caused so much craziness. Definitely a big lesson as far as being responsible with my 'reach'.

Here's a rundown of what actually lead to that speculation (and yes, it's total speculation based on a few facts and trends):

- The Dragon Ball Super '100 Episodes' rumour wasn't just based on that placeholder on Toei's EU website. It was the number given out to the potential licensees long before Super came out. That doesn't necessarily mean anything, since Super is a runaway success and we're well beyond what was initially pitched, but it's also not worth totally throwing out the window.

- The current arc is scheduled to end in March. Anime is all cour-based, and April is the start of a new cour. That's the normal time that new series begin for that time of year. If Super were going anywhere, that's a perfectly reasonable time for it to vanish, especially with regards to the movie's production, too. Keep in mind that the last Blu-ray contains fewer episodes than normal. That's a pretty big red flag that something's up.

- While Kitaro has had many different series over the years, this particular anniversary project is celebrating the original run, which has always aired in one time slot. Initially, Wednesday late-afternoons, the exact spot Dragon Ball used to air in. When it came back in 2007, it aired in the same slot that had now moved to Sunday mornings, just as Dragon Ball does now. Although we have no idea if this is actually a TV series, that is Kitaro's slot, and it really doesn't have anywhere else to air. Monster Hunter at 8:30am isn't going anywhere, and of course neither is One Piece. Even if Monster Hunter were going off the air, Toei Animation aren't going to let it compete with a titan like PreCure that airs at the same time. Toei Company might have been silly with regards to their Sentai block clashing with their anime block, but Toei Animation won't let anything like that happen with two of their own shows. While Kitaro did recently have a crossover with Yokai Watch, a show that airs on TV Tokyo, it's highly unlikely that Fuji TV would be willing to let it go, and I don't see them opening up a new time slot.

- Super's schedule does appear to still be very messy. While I'm not allowed to share the full details for the sake of animators' protection from Toei's spooky eyes, it's still very far from the norm. Producing a movie while trying to keep a series like that afloat would be especially difficult. It'd be a smart move to put the series on hiatus until January 2019. You get to repeat 2015 again where you blow up interest with a new movie, and then ride that success into a brand new TV series. Realistically, you'd more than compensate for any loss of revenue - and keep in mind it's a different situation now that the series is currently making bank internationally. The revenue flow isn't going to hault the second Super ends.

- With adequate planning, they could begin planning Super 2.0 several months in advance of its theoretical debut in January 2019. This movie has begun production far earlier than the previous two movies, so it's perfectly possible for that to happen, particularly if they rely on a lot of freelancers and non-series-specific animators as they did with Battle of Gods. Bringing the series back with an improved (or ideally fixed) production would do wonders for not only the series reputation, but also their costs - remember that they're often paying double the staff (and external studios) just to get episodes finished on time.

- If you wanna head into total tinfoil hat territory, Toyotaro did say the manga would be ahead of anime again at some point. With the current pace, it doesn't seem like it's happening. If there's a break, then it becomes possible~! ...Okay, that's totally confirmation bias, but whatever. Worth keeping in mind, I guess?

So yeah, that's what lead to the speculation. As has been pointed out though, this all falls apart if the Kitaro thing isn't an anime. The situation's just a very weird mix of "this makes so much sense, but at the same time, it totally doesn't". Sure sounds like Toei Animation! ^.^
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:25 pm

That's a pretty good write-up, and I can see how believeable it is for this to happen.

I guess we'll find out soon enough, March is only 2 months away. Very curious to see what happens.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:38 pm

Ajay! Thank you for clarifying!

I'm just going to hope that Super isn't going on hiatus/ending and have a back-up plan in case it does.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:04 pm

Ajay wrote:- The current arc is scheduled to end in March. Anime is all cour-based, and April is the start of a new cour. That's the normal time that new series begin for that time of year. If Super were going anywhere, that's a perfectly reasonable time for it to vanish, especially with regards to the movie's production, too. Keep in mind that the last Blu-ray contains fewer episodes than normal. That's a pretty big red flag that something's up.
This really had me scratching my head. By all rights 132 should be the last episode of this cour and the last one of March. If it was a post-arc filler, wouldn't they include it with the Universe Survival Arc like the last episodes of the Future Trunks arc? But if it's the first episode of a new arc, that would mean they're starting a new storyline at the end of a cour instead of the beginning which seems...odd. Something doesn't add up there.

I'm starting to suspect the new movie and the Planet Sadala visit they've been teasing are going to be one and the same. What better place to exposit on the origins of the Saiyans than visiting their original homeworld? :think:

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:36 pm

BlueBasilisk wrote:
Ajay wrote:- The current arc is scheduled to end in March. Anime is all cour-based, and April is the start of a new cour. That's the normal time that new series begin for that time of year. If Super were going anywhere, that's a perfectly reasonable time for it to vanish, especially with regards to the movie's production, too. Keep in mind that the last Blu-ray contains fewer episodes than normal. That's a pretty big red flag that something's up.
This really had me scratching my head. By all rights 132 should be the last episode of this cour and the last one of March. If it was a post-arc filler, wouldn't they include it with the Universe Survival Arc like the last episodes of the Future Trunks arc? But if it's the first episode of a new arc, that would mean they're starting a new storyline at the end of a cour instead of the beginning which seems...odd. Something doesn't add up there.

I'm starting to suspect the new movie and the Planet Sadala visit they've been teasing are going to be one and the same. What better place to exposit on the origins of the Saiyans than visiting their original homeworld? :think:
That’s what I assumed as well, Vegeta is never going to set foot on Salada but it’s preparing the audience for the 2018 movie.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:44 pm

TheMikado wrote:
BlueBasilisk wrote:

That’s what I assumed as well, Vegeta is never going to set foot on Salada but it’s preparing the audience for the 2018 movie.
If that's what the movie is about then I definitely think Goku and Vegeta will go, and if the series does take a break I think the odds would be even higher.

Faisal Shourov
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Faisal Shourov » Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:33 pm

precita wrote:I honestly wonder if Super's declining ratings during the TOP have anything to do with this.
Super's ratings aren't declining alone, all others are declining too. Nothing to do with Super itself. TV is dying in Japan
Toyotarō: … I get the feeling I’ve just heard something amazing (laughs). Lord Beerus and Whis turn up in Dragon Ball Super, and have become an unsurpassable wall for Goku and the gang. What do the two of them mean to you?

Toriyama: Well… First off, right now I don’t have any plans for Goku and Vegeta to surpass Beerus and Whis.

Faisal Shourov
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Faisal Shourov » Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:41 pm

Super is NOT ending. It's the biggest money making media franchise in Japan right now. Super ending will massively dent or erase all those revenue, which would make zero sense financially.

No anime/manga based show is making as much money as Super, not even One Piece. Super is making 2x the money of One Piece at the moment, so Super getting cancelled is a likely as One Piece getting cancelled.
Toyotarō: … I get the feeling I’ve just heard something amazing (laughs). Lord Beerus and Whis turn up in Dragon Ball Super, and have become an unsurpassable wall for Goku and the gang. What do the two of them mean to you?

Toriyama: Well… First off, right now I don’t have any plans for Goku and Vegeta to surpass Beerus and Whis.