Why does virtually everyone watch the spoilers for next episodes?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Lord Alduin

Why does virtually everyone watch the spoilers for next episodes?

Post by Lord Alduin » Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:19 am

Hi, this is a question I've had for a long time but I've never managed to ask any DB fans this.

The basic answer would be - I can't wait, I must know etc.

So I know 1 guy irl who watches what happens next time on super, and come next episode he's always like 'oh I knew it bro'. I know the snippets don't show much but to me they ruin the sense of surprise. Pretty much everyone looks for the little giveaway of what happens in next episode.

Wouldn't all of you who do this want to watch it being completely blind? Not knowing who it's about etc. Actually get caught off guard.
I know the series is at its end, but for the whole way through I've avoided spoilers and any kind of 'next time on DBS clips'. I even avoid the title of the episodes,.

I understand some people must know now and have little patience to wait a week, but then the same people will complain about the episode being predictable...

Note: I have seen the giveaways as when rewatching old episodes and yes sometimes it's not a lot but it's still enough to influence your surprise of the next episode.

Ps I won't read this thread til super is over as I know people like to use spoilers online.

GodVegetto91
Banned

Re: Why does virtually everyone watch the spoilers for next episodes?

Post by GodVegetto91 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:28 am

Color me and Chuquita in the category of “we can’t wait, we must know.” xD

I just don’t have the patience to wait until the episode comes out. any piece of information in spoilers is welcome for me.

That said, yes there are many fans with a great deal amount of patience and don’t want to be spoiled.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:30 am

Spoilers get me hyped for what's coming next.

Logania
Regular

Post by Logania » Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:39 am

I kinda have to watch it. Being on forums and social media sites, I'm gonna get spoiled anyway, no point in trying to savor the surprise.
"I can't increase my ability through some kind of noisy transformation the way Frost and you Saiyans do. If I wanna become more lethal, I don't have the luxury of cutting corners, I just have to do it the old-fashioned way.

Combat is craft. What matters most is not raw power, but the skill by which you hone it."

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:29 am

GodVegetto91 is correct; I'm anxiously waiting for those final Animedia/Animage episode summary/staff spoilers that could appear as early as the end of this week.

Spoilers make me more excited about upcoming episodes than going in without any knowledge at all. It's like teaser info where you know just enough to get yourself really curious.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

SsjCookie
Beyond Newbie

Post by SsjCookie » Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:49 am

Most people are too weak minded to resist.
I hate spoilers and always try to avoid the title of the next episode because that's actually the biggest spoiler.
They really shouldn't show the outcome of the whole episode with one sentence in the title, it's stupid! :problem:

Lek
Beyond Newbie

Post by Lek » Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:03 am

I usually watch the next episode preview, as that's the way the target audience is supposed to watch it (in my opinion). I do however try to stay away from any spoilers that come from leaks, tv guides / episode titles and certain threads on here.

That being said: It was pretty weird to fight UI Goku (with the white hair) in Xenoverse 2 before the episode with his transformation was out. Kinda took away from the whole spectacle a bit.

Hawk9211
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Hawk9211 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:57 am

Chuquita wrote:GodVegetto91 is correct; I'm anxiously waiting for those final Animedia/Animage episode summary/staff spoilers that could appear as early as the end of this week.

Spoilers make me more excited about upcoming episodes than going in without any knowledge at all. It's like teaser info where you know just enough to get yourself really curious.
Same.
Why power levels are important?
The genre and roots of dragon ball

Bebi Hatchiyack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bebi Hatchiyack » Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:37 am

Because Knowledge is power :D

Inb4r someone quote Cercei she will die because she think she have power :mrgreen:
Saiya-jin me, watashi ha kisama wo koroshimasu

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:39 am

If we didn't have the 2 week long break again, I would try going blind into the final two episodes.

Unfortunately we do, and there's no helping it. Reading spoilers will satisfy my need to know what's going to happen.

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:48 am

Spoilers don't bother me. Even if I know what happens there is something to be said for seeing it unfold still. I don't feel any better if I know nothing before hand.
Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"

Simere
Advanced Regular

Post by Simere » Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:49 am

I want to be engaged with this community, and this community reads spoilers. Spoiler days are like festivals for us, and it's fun to be a part of. There's a lot you miss out on if you don't partake. Predictions, reactions, overreactions...do you guys remember the Yamcha/Freeza fake spoilers debacle? I'm sure a normal viewer's heart wasn't pounding like mine was watching episode 95.

So, yeah, we who read spoilers lose out on some sense of surprise, but it comes with a sort of anticipation those who don't read them lack. And there's still much to be surprised about. I've seen some bemoaning about how predictable this arc has been, but those people are speaking with hindsight. Even armed with spoilers the overall prediction accuracy rate has been low.

Also, spoilers in general help me manage my expectations, which is good for my appreciation of the story. If something is coming that I don't like then I have time to prepare myself. If I didn't know silver-haired UI was coming I would have been very bitter about that surprise, having been so in love with the black hair.

GamerSkull
Regular

Post by GamerSkull » Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:33 pm

I don't have patience.

Gotta know. :lol:

It is a good way of getting me hyped to see the episode proper.
"Roga Fu-Fu Ken!"

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:39 pm

I can only speak for myself, so:
I keep up with the spoilers because the plot isn't interesting enough for me to want to avoid them. If there was more mystery (or something like that), perhaps I'd avoid them. Though I repost the spoilers to my own little community, so I probably would keep completely up to date in order to offer them an easier way to see the spoilers if they so wish.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

Asura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Asura » Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:28 pm

I don't see anything wrong with watching the NEP for the next episode. It's not really a spoiler, just a preview of what's in the next episode. It usually doesn't give that much away (except in the case of Vegetto, wtf TOEI) and it gives you something to look forward to.

What I don't understand however is why people go and read spoilers for the upcoming episodes, including the plot summaries for every single future episode. Hell, people are even doing that now for the finale. Why would you read the spoilers to know how the show ends? It's like you're in the middle of a book and you flip to the end and read the end. Who would ever read a book like that? It's silly, but to each his own. Although what I won't forgive is people putting the spoilers in the titles of their threads or in the episode discussion threads. Like come on, you might not give a shit about spoilers but other people do, so stop being selfish.

prince212
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by prince212 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:20 pm

I’ve been spoiled ... I guess is my fault for being curious . Honestly I rather blame in the official sources that offer spoilers than in myself .. I am eager to get to know and the knowledge is out there ...hehehhe
At least today’s spoilers kinda surprise me , but I recognize that I would enjoy more to take the surprise while watching the chapter , but it’s done :crazy:
It was as if a whole lot of people ...were screaming in pain....

Saturnine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Saturnine » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:00 am

Wasn't there such a thing as the "spoiler paradox", where people actually feel more pleasure from watching an episode/reading a chapter after reading the spoilers than if they hadn't done it?

MKCSTEALTH
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MKCSTEALTH » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:50 am

I really fell into spoilers during the Goku Black arc. Namely so I knew what would come next. A big problem I find, namely in the YouTube community, is people make specific videos for spoilers, but then in a separate video that may not even have any references to spoilers, they casually talk about the spoilers happening as though everyone should know.

I had to stay of YouTube for a week when 109/110 came out. I wanted to remain surprised. Heck, even some video titles give stuff away

ernesth100
Not-So-Newbie

Post by ernesth100 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:05 am

I mean, knowing what happens has never effected my reaction to the episodes. Knowing Goku was gonna unlock and Master UI didn't decrease my hype when he did it. Knowing Vegeta was going to get eliminated did not decrease my enjoyment in watching him fight for his pride. It's just fun to read and know. And then even more fun to watch and be like, "OH CRAP IT WAS RIGHT!"

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:11 am

What's the point if it has no re-watch value? I'm not going all that interested in the plot so much as how it is told, anyhow.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf