How I would have changed Jiren's backstory

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

kinisking
I Live Here

How I would have changed Jiren's backstory

Post by kinisking » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:01 pm

First, let me begin with this. I don't like Jiren's characte at all. I would have much preferred if he was a happy go lucky guy that genuinely loves the world and people around him. A true hero. But this thread isn't about completely changing his character to be the way I want him to be, but to enhance his backstory and character (in my opinion of course).

In my version of the events, Jiren would come home to his parents on the verge of death. They're begging the evil doer that they'll do anything to let him live. The evil doer smiles as he notices Jiren and gives them a choice. Their lives or his. The parents selfishly choose themselves. This is when the trust issues begin. The evil doer decides to kill his parents regardless but lets Jiren live because he believes that Jiren living with those memories will be more painful than dying.

Jiren runs, almost dies out in the wilderness until he's saved by his martial arts master to be. The martial arts master brings him back to a dojo. Jiren is obviously very hostile and untrusting at first. However, Jiren sticks around for the food and shelter. As time goes by he is told stories by the other students of the martial artists strength and how he also saved them from the brink of death. They also tell Jiren that they have great respect for his strength and aim to be as strong as him. They also say they'd do anything to repay the favor. Jiren is still very untrusting despite this. The martial arts master eventually comes up to him and after a brief argument Jiren tells him what has happened to him. The martial arts master tells Jiren that his family was also destroyed by the evil doer and that he's been training to defeat him. He tells him that he can't teach Jiren to trust him, but he can teach him how to fight.

Time flashes forward, and they are defeated by the evil doer. The martial arts master is killed in front of everyone's eyes. The ones that survive and Jiren regroup at the dojo. Jiren tries to motivate them to try again but no one wants to. Jiren screams at them and reminds them that they said they'd do anything for the master. They retort by saying that if the master wasn't strong enough to do anything then they won't be able to either. The strength of the evil doer was also able to destroy any loyalty that his parents or friends had. Jiren starts believing that strength decides a person's loyalty and they only were loyal to the master while he was a symbol of strength to them. Jiren goes to avenge his master himself.

After Jiren is defeated, the evil doer tells him a secret. He knew that Jiren's group was getting strong enough to rival him in power, so he beat one of Jiren's allies into submission. That ally was then made into a traitor and was told to poison the master in order to weaken him. That way the evil doer could easily kill the master and destroy the morale of the group. Once again Jiren sees an example of strength destroying a person's loyalty.

Jiren tells Goku that he's learned loyalty is power and power is loyalty. With enough power you can make anyone loyal to you. He proves this by pointing at the stands. He points at Toppo. Toppo is the evil doer. He tells Goku he gained enough power to be able to make even the evil doer submit to Jiren's ideals and become a hero of justice. He states that despite that, Toppo still threw away justice because he desired more strength. He looks at Goku's friends and tells him that they're only his friends because of the power Goku holds. Without it, he would be nothing to them.

So overall my version of Jiren would be a person that genuinely desires to protect people. That's why he's a pride trooper. However, he's extremely cynical and believes that people are naturally twisted and are only good when kept in check by a powerful force. He desires to be that powerful force. He also is to blind to see that Toppo has truly become a better person (similar to how Vegeta and Piccolo became better), and just sees it as his power keeping him in check.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

dylanmorgan17
Not-So-Newbie

Re: How I would have changed Jiren's backstory

Post by dylanmorgan17 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:49 am

That is amazing. :mrgreen:
The Dante diet: Beer, Pizza and a strawberry Sunday.