Y’know... I don’t get Toei/Toriyama/Toyotaro’s decisions at times.

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cetra
I Live Here

Re: Y’know... I don’t get Toei/Toriyama/Toyotaro’s decisions at times.

Post by Cetra » Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:46 pm

A raging Saiyajin with no pupils does not make a Broly. Also that Yamcha copy looks pretty unprofessional if you ask me. Could just be because of the art style though.#

EDIT: Okay, read the Broly in the middle. But no, that's never gonna be a thing. Why would they ...
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:49 pm

PFM18 wrote:It better not be the Broly we know but rather Akira Toriyama's version of Broly rather than Toei's version of Broly.
I guess this'll put an end to the "canon" arguments. :lol:

On the brightside, Vegeta will get his chance to redeem that joke of a performance he put on in movie 8.
omaro34 wrote:Yamcha being there makes me believe it's fake there is no way lol. I like Yamcha though.
I think that's Broly's base design.
Cetra wrote:Why would they ...
Modern DB is all about the $$$ and Broly sells so...

Keep in mind this could be fake but if not then that's why.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:50 pm

I swear if that is Broly I am gonna be happy and sad at the same time.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:51 pm

sintzu wrote:
omaro34 wrote:Yamcha being there makes me believe it's fake there is no way lol. I like Yamcha though.
People think that's Yamcha? His scar is different.

I suppose it's the eyes that confuse people, since Broly in base form had droopy eyes.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:52 pm

See if this is the 1st "Broly" movie where he is an entirely new character that is completely reworked with the only things being the same being the name and the appearance of the character then this can work.

If this is the 4th Broly movie where he is "coming back" and he is the same character who is a bitch about Goku crying then I'm done with any further DB content

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:52 pm

Cetra wrote:I swear if that is Broly I am gonna be happy and sad at the same time.
If this is true then I don't know what to think.
PFM18 wrote:If this is the 4th Broly movie where he is "coming back" and he is the same character who is a bitch about Goku crying then I'm done with any further DB content
I think this'll be Broly's DB minus.
Last edited by sintzu on Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:53 pm

Michsi wrote:
sintzu wrote:

I suppose it's the eyes that confuse people, since Broly in base form had droopy eyes.
Well, if it is Broly then it is just a redesign of his looks. He could have those eyes to resemble Kale more. Kale does have black pupils within a darker gray iris. Which already is a unique thing because 100% blooded Saiyajin have purely black eyes normally - at least they were drawn that way all the time.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:55 pm

sintzu wrote:
PFM18 wrote:It better not be the Broly we know but rather Akira Toriyama's version of Broly rather than Toei's version of Broly.
I guess this'll put an end to the "canon" arguments. :lol:

On the brightside, Vegeta will get his chance to redeem that joke of a performance he put on in movie 8.
We know the final fight is gonna be Goku, considering that, I wouldn't put too much faith in Vegeta here mate, he has to be taken down for this to happen with any kind of weight..
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:56 pm

Ki Breaker wrote:We know the final fight is gonna be Goku, considering that, I wouldn't put too much faith in Vegeta here mate, he has to be taken down for this to happen with any kind of weight..
I'm not saying he has to win, just not sit with his mouth open like he did in movie 8.

I guess we know what they meant by fan service.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:57 pm

I mean I generally trust anything AT does to be pretty good but it will be extremely hard to make the dumpster fire that is Broly work as a good main villain.

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:57 pm

At least we know they are not dealing with the average Saiyajin warrior if that's true.

As for Toei - money, money, money.
PFM18 wrote:I mean I generally trust anything AT does to be pretty good but it will be extremely hard to make the dumpster fire that is Broly work as a good main villain.
Broly did his job as he should in movie 1. He was a power-driven, sadistic killer machine. As this atlas that he is should be. Good writing? Well, Dragon Ball ...
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:59 pm

PFM18 wrote:I mean I generally trust anything AT does to be pretty good but it will be extremely hard to make the dumpster fire that is Broly work as a good main villain.
How hard would it be to write a character who says more than Goku's name ? Toriyama has written great characters for modern DB so it'd be pretty easy to take Broly's design and give it a good personality.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:00 pm

Cetra wrote:
Michsi wrote:
sintzu wrote:

Well, if it is Broly then it is just a redesign of his looks. He could have those eyes to resemble Kale more. Kale does have black pupils within a darker gray iris. Which already is a unique thing because 100% blooded Saiyajin have purely black eyes normally - at least they were drawn that way all the time.
Probably just a redesign, though Kale's eyes were also dawn in that droopy, sleepy way when she was in base. In the anime at least. This poster shows those, typical, angular shapes, and that makes him look more alert.

Btw, TDC already pointed out that there's a sign of the gold necklace thing Broly wore in the first movie. That's not a good sign.

Also, reeeaaaaaly curious what they mean by a multi-layered story now.
Last edited by Michsi on Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:00 pm

sintzu wrote:
How hard would it be to write a character who says more than Goku's name ? Toriyama has written great characters for modern DB so it'd be pretty easy to take Broly's design and give it a good personality.
Broly did speak in movie 1. He was mocking the characters all the time and bathing in the light of his own glory.
Michsi wrote:
Cetra wrote:
Michsi wrote:

Probably just a redesign, though Kale's eyes were also dawn in that droopy, sleepy way when she was in base. In the anime at least. This poster shows those, typical, angular shapes, and that makes him look more alert.

Btw, TDC already pointed out that there's a sign of the gold necklace thing Broly wore in the first movie. That's not a good sign.

Also, reeeaaaaaly curious what they mean by a multi layered story now.
Don't forget that fur sash thing kind of resembles the red sash thing that he had with his other pants.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

omaro34
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omaro34 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:02 pm

Cetra wrote:
sintzu wrote:
Broly did speak in movie 1. He was mocking the characters all the time and bathing in the light of his own glory.
We already had 3 Broly movies plus Kale was a female version of Broly when she transformed...I thought we seen enough of him
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

omaro34
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omaro34 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:03 pm

has the broly news been confirmed for real or is that still up in the air?
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:03 pm

omaro34 wrote:
Cetra wrote:
sintzu wrote:
We already had 3 Broly movies plus Kale was a female version of Broly when she transformed...I thought we seen enough of him
Well, think of it from that perspective: Maybe we get some spin. Like with Freeza. But hopefully not AFTER the movie in the way they did it with Fukkatsu no F. Because his character moments if you ask me came after the movie/arc and in the Tournament Arc then.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:04 pm

omaro34 wrote:has the broly news been confirmed for real or is that still up in the air?
I think Ajay and Geekdom101 talked about it so it's looking official. :mrgreen:

Those "canon" debates are going to be great. :lol:

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:06 pm

sintzu wrote:
omaro34 wrote:has the broly news been confirmed for real or is that still up in the air?
I think Ajay and Geekdom101 talked about it so it's looking official. :mrgreen:

Those "canon" debates are going to be great. :lol:
I swear Broly kills more purses than people.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:08 pm

sintzu wrote: I guess we know what they meant by fan service.
Yeah, this is fan service in it's purest form, but toriyama pulled off Freeza in TOP well enough that I am more than ready to give broly a chance as well..

As for Vegeta, he'll be fine.. I think.. Vegeta's gaping mouth has been a subject of criticism ever since it was aired..

Seeing the premise of this movie, just keep Gohan the fuck away from all this, I have a feeling it won't end well for him
sintzu wrote: Those "canon" debates are going to be great. :lol:
I know right, those debates are pointless, everyone knows the real canon is everything not GT :lol: :P
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker