Thoughts on Super Saiyan Blue Evolution (Vegeta's new transformation)

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Re: what do people think of SSBE

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:55 am

Well we maybe getting our first SSGSS.Evo merchandise in July, 7 months after it's debut...!! Listings for July UDM's (mini key chain figures) has a listing for a SSGSS Vegeta... could and should be Evo, since they recently had a regular SSGSS Vegeta.

I really like it, makes Vegeta's hair longer, of course pupils are always a win. Also likes how it changes the colour of his clothes.

Timetraveller
Beyond Newbie

Post by Timetraveller » Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:07 pm

Torturephile wrote:It's ugly. I don't like the exaggerated contrast of colors with the white from the aura washing out much of the Vegeta drawing on certain cases. I'm not a fan of the eye pupil either.
I was never a fan of the cg aura effects. With SSB-er Vegeta the aura was so overdone you could barely make out the fighting. At some points, I couldn't tell if Vegeta was still in this form or in SSB. Probably my least favorite form in the show. It was another example of the recolors that Super will be remembered for that wasn't explained and amounted to very little. The anime version of Ultra Instinct was the only one that felt like a worthy transformation.

Akyon
Regular

Post by Akyon » Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:49 pm

Honestly it smacks of Toei only like RageTrunks and whatever the dickens it was Krillin got given here:

I'm not sure why it feels so filler, but I have a sneaking suspicion we'll never see it or hear about it again when the next part of Dragonball drops. I know it was supposed to be a big moment for Vegeta but it feels weirdly phoned in IMO.
Favourite User quote:
Vice wrote:"Look at all these characters getting some shine in the buildup for the tournament of power, maybe we'll get to see some other characters do some stuff instead of the same old shit."
1. Goku (Universe 7) has eliminated 6 competitor & Vegeta (Universe 7) has eliminated 6 competitors

"Fuck."

Kaiosama
Beyond Newbie

Post by Kaiosama » Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:01 am

The form and the way he obtained it was absolutely rubbish. It's a pointless power-up for him because it will never be competitive with Goku's UI, so all it showed was that Goku's ceiling is much higher. The form is also quite ugly and was immediately de-valued as a "limit breaking" power-up as soon as we saw it fighting alongside SSBKKX20 Goku.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:55 am

Kaiosama wrote:It's a pointless power-up for him because it will never be competitive with Goku's UI. The form is de-valued as a "limit breaking" power-up as soon as we saw it fighting alongside SSBKKX20 Goku.
It wasn't brought in to be on UI's level as it was, like you said, fighting alongside Goku's KK level. It wouldn't even exist had they not went ahead of themselves and gave Goku Kk in the first place, something I don't think they'll do again. I won't be surprised if both KK and BE aren't shown again.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

wolflonnie
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by wolflonnie » Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:21 am

Better than Rage, but should've been explained more to not feel like an anime-thing only. It just doesn't feel very official.

jplaya2023
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by jplaya2023 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:49 am

honestly it was a dissapointment because it's still no where near UI that goku has. Vegeta is still 2 steps behind goku like it's the cell saga again

here's the strength list

base
ssj1
ssj2
ssj3
ssj red
ssj blue
ssj dark blue (vegeta)
unmastered UI
Mastered UI (Goku)

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:02 am

sintzu wrote:It wasn't brought in to be on UI's level as it was, like you said, fighting alongside Goku's KK level. It wouldn't even exist had they not went ahead of themselves and gave Goku Kk in the first place, something I don't think they'll do again. I won't be surprised if both KK and BE aren't shown again.
If they wanted to write Kaioken out they had the perfect opportunity after the U6 tournament with King Kai warning him that it could permanently mess up his ki, but they kept using it throughout the series after that. I really don't see how it's any different from manga Goku somehow figuring out Mastered SSB before Vegeta did (using a mechanic introduced in the anime even). Yeah, Vegeta caught up to him at the beginning of the ToP arc, but Goku's about to leap ahead of him again anyway so it hardly makes a difference.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:16 am

BlueBasilisk wrote:If they wanted to write Kaioken out they had the perfect opportunity after the U6 tournament with King Kai warning him that it could permanently mess up his ki, but they kept using it throughout the series after that.

I really don't see how it's any different from manga Goku somehow figuring out Mastered SSB before Vegeta did.
I think they didn't count on Toriyama deciding to have Vegeta fight on his level so when the TOP came along they had to find a way to push him up to that level as well.

The difference is that it's not a transformation, just Blue used with better control so it was a lot easier to get Vegeta to do it as well. In the anime however, it would've been very odd to see Vegeta use Kaioken.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Sonicjamareiz
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Sonicjamareiz » Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:28 am

I feel like people that throw the phrase "it's a Toei thing" as if it's some sort of negative :?
Purple Cum Monster Vegeta arc :sick:

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:33 am

Sonicjamareiz wrote:I feel like people that throw the phrase "it's a Toei thing" as if it's some sort of negative :?
"Toei thing" I think is meant to mean something akin to "anime only thing." I look at "anime only" being a positive because it also means "not by Toyotaro" because he is garbage.

TheSaiyanGod
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by TheSaiyanGod » Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:40 am

Actually, this looks like a transformation that was created by TOEI, just like SSB KK.
But many people also said that Blue Kaioken would never appear in DBS after the Champa tournament, but we have seen that Goku continued to use that form during the main sagas, so I would not be surprised if Vegeta used SSB Evolution in the future. But I'd rather he get the UI after training with Whis
Kaiosama wrote:The form and the way he obtained it was absolutely rubbish. It's a pointless power-up for him because it will never be competitive with Goku's UI, so all it showed was that Goku's ceiling is much higher. The form is also quite ugly and was immediately de-valued as a "limit breaking" power-up as soon as we saw it fighting alongside SSBKKX20 Goku.
How does the fact of SSBE not being at UI level make it a power up meaningless?
This was probably TOEI's decision, so I do not see why this is a negative point, considering that we would hardly see Vegeta reach the UI in the ToP.

And well, considering everything Vegeta showed with this transformation, he overcame the SSB KK x20, and really was a lot more useful than any use of Kaioken in DBS.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:58 am

sintzu wrote:
BlueBasilisk wrote:If they wanted to write Kaioken out they had the perfect opportunity after the U6 tournament with King Kai warning him that it could permanently mess up his ki, but they kept using it throughout the series after that.

I really don't see how it's any different from manga Goku somehow figuring out Mastered SSB before Vegeta did.
I think they didn't count on Toriyama deciding to have Vegeta fight on his level so when the TOP came along they had to find a way to push him up to that level as well.

The difference is that it's not a transformation, just Blue used with better control so it was a lot easier to get Vegeta to do it as well. In the anime however, it would've been very odd to see Vegeta use Kaioken.
I'm not sure why they wouldn't be aware of that possibly happening when the 3 Ts are all working together to make Super happen and we've seen that the arc outlines are subject to revision based on suggestions from both Toei and Toyotaro. Unless the outline is handed out incrementally instead of being written out and revised in advance, they'd know from the beginning if Toriyama wanted Goku and Vegeta to fight as equals and even had another opportunity to write out Kaioken (Goku slacking in his training) to restore parity between them, but instead they doubled down, cranked Kaioken up to 20 and gave Vegeta a brand new form to even the scales a little.

Vegeta doesn't know Kaioken and probably wouldn't swallow his pride to bother learning it, so it makes sense he'd go a different direction from Goku who focused on refining that to 20x. It's like that strengthened Super Saiyan 2 thing Trunks did. He didn't know about Super Saiyan 3 but he got something else that's basically as good that nobody else (besides Kefla maybe) has ever used. Nothing says Goku can't learn that or SSBE, but if he's got something else that achieves the same effect, why bother?

It also highlights how Toyotaro and Toei differ in their storytelling methods when it comes to the non-Goku characters. Goku unveils his new forms at climactic moments, usually having already figured out how off screen (Kaioken, KKx20, SSG's return, mastered SSB). Toyotaro gives the others their power-ups off screen (Vegeta's SSG and MSSB, Trunks' Super SS2, Caulifla's SS, possibly Kale) while Toei has them play out onscreen in big dramatic/cool moments.

As for what I think of the form personally, looks great, love the darker blue, but they should really dial back the saturation and opacity of the aura so it's not so cloudy.

jamiljamtheman
Beyond Newbie

Post by jamiljamtheman » Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:57 pm

I don't know about "people", but I really dig it. Its shiny, strong, and a very nice shade of blue. It looks cool and I enjoyed seeing Vegeta fight Jiren and Toppo with it, and thats enough for me to think its awesome :D

lancerman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by lancerman » Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:03 pm

It’s basically SSJB2. I don’t know why it caused such a controversy

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:28 pm

jamiljamtheman wrote:I don't know about "people", but I really dig it. Its shiny, strong, and a very nice shade of blue. It looks cool and I enjoyed seeing Vegeta fight Jiren and Toppo with it, and thats enough for me to think its awesome :D
I agree! It looks amazing and actually accomplished something unlike the entirety of Vegeta's tenure with the normal Super Saiyan forms

KingKaash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Thoughts on Super Saiyan Blue Evolution (Vegeta's new transformation)

Post by KingKaash » Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:17 am

Visually I didn't like the form because the aura makes it hard to see Vegeta himself which is weird. But without aura it looks like a good upgrade and I like that.

As for it's significance to the show, I hate that it overpowered semi God of Destruction Toppo without a legit explanation. I'll never be ok with that
"Gohan, let it go. It is not a sin to fight for the right cause. There are those who words alone will not reach. Cell is such a being. I know how you feel Gohan, you are gentle, you do not like to hurt. I know because I too have learned these feelings. But it is because you cherish life that you must protect it. Please drop your restraints. Protect the life I once loved. You have the strength, my scanners sensed it..." -Android 16

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:25 am

KingKaash wrote:Visually I didn't like the form because the aura makes it hard to see Vegeta himself which is weird. But without aura it looks like a good upgrade and I like that.

As for it's significance to the show, I hate that it overpowered semi God of Destruction Toppo without a legit explanation. I'll never be ok with that
What exactly did you want as far as an explanation goes? This trabsistion he maxe emogionally manifested in him gaining a new limit breaking power when he already had a legit god presence as a "super saiyan god super saiyan" . I dont see how it is in any way nonsensical that upon receiving a gigantic power boost alongside a new transformation he is able to overpower Toppo. Is there ever a "legit explanation" when one character surpasses another? It doesnt have to be a particularly explicit "explanation" for it to make sense within the series.

KingKaash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by KingKaash » Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:31 am

PFM18 wrote:
KingKaash wrote:Visually I didn't like the form because the aura makes it hard to see Vegeta himself which is weird. But without aura it looks like a good upgrade and I like that.

What exactly did you want as far as an explanation goes? This trabsistion he maxe emogionally manifested in him gaining a new limit breaking power when he already had a legit god presence as a "super saiyan god super saiyan" . I dont see how it is in any way nonsensical that upon receiving a gigantic power boost alongside a new transformation he is able to overpower Toppo. Is there ever a "legit explanation" when one character surpasses another? It doesnt have to be a particularly explicit "explanation" for it to make sense within the series.
Hakai powers are on a totally different level of strength because it's what the gods use. For Vegeta to acquire a humanely strength that could overpower semi-hakai just doesn't sit well with me.
"Gohan, let it go. It is not a sin to fight for the right cause. There are those who words alone will not reach. Cell is such a being. I know how you feel Gohan, you are gentle, you do not like to hurt. I know because I too have learned these feelings. But it is because you cherish life that you must protect it. Please drop your restraints. Protect the life I once loved. You have the strength, my scanners sensed it..." -Android 16

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:37 am

KingKaash wrote:
PFM18 wrote:

Hakai powers are on a totally different level of strength because it's what the gods use. For Vegeta to acquire a humanely strength that could overpower semi-hakai just doesn't sit well with me.
Well the fact that it "doesn't sit well" with you doesn't mean that it wasn't a rational reasonable plot point for Vegeta to be able to overpower Toppo. At this point in the series Vegeta has been able to use God ki for years now and it would make sense by this point at the end of the series that he would be able to surpass somebody like Toppo upon reaching a new transformation