Dragon Ball Super: Broly Box Office Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Re: Dragon Ball Super: Broly Box Office Thread

Post by PFM18 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:34 pm

ArchedThunder wrote:I think you are continuing to undershoot this movie's performance.
Not really, I did say ¥1-1.1 billion and that is exactly what it's done. The so called "official estimates" were further off than I was.

If it did 824,000 admissions in 3 days and say 890,000 admissions with today then it is not going to reach Battle of Gods 5 day of 988,000 admissions.

That's alright though because Battle of Gods first days were part of Spring Break. All the holidays and stuff start after next weekend. That's where the money is going to come from.

Sani007
Beyond Newbie

Post by Sani007 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:28 pm

If Broly just reaches Resurrection's "F" earnings, that's not a bad performance.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:06 pm

So what I'm gathering is that DBS Broly is lagging behind from how BOG and ROF were performing at the same period (so far).

Is that right?

Hero_nike

Post by Hero_nike » Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:28 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:So what I'm gathering is that DBS Broly is lagging behind from how BOG and ROF were performing at the same period (so far).

Is that right?
It seems that the movie is performing similarly to ROF so far.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:56 pm

The western release will be what will push this movie beyond RoF sales, then.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:02 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:So what I'm gathering is that DBS Broly is lagging behind from how BOG and ROF were performing at the same period (so far).

Is that right?
Pretty much, from the numbers that were given.

Battle of Gods - ¥1.145 billion (5 days)

Resurrection F - ¥1.357 billion (6 days)

Broly will actually be the lowest grossing of the three movies after 6 days.

RedHeat
Regular

Post by RedHeat » Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:02 pm

RIP dreams of the new artstyle staying past this movie.
Feels over Reals.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:31 am

RedHeat wrote:RIP dreams of the new artstyle staying past this movie.
That's one thing that seems to be getting unanimously praised all over though! Art style and animation. Also. as I've mentioned, there is still oversees money to be taken into account. If it's not making as much money as they've hoped, it's not because of that. Also, let's not forget the merchandise aspect. Pretty sure that's where a good chunk of the profit will be coming from.

It might have not been their safest bet to make such a big movie focus around Broly, since the initial reaction everywhere wasn't enthusiasm, but disbelief, confusion and maybe a little dissapointment. That feeling might've stayed with a portion of the fandom and that's why they're not rushing to go see it.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:09 am

...and aside from that, there's a lot of overdramatic reactions here, anyway.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:09 am

I don't think it has anything to do with fan reception. This movie has way better reviews than both BoG and F. Hell, the latter was panned by most in JP. It is basically reaching the highest limit of how much DB can do at the movies. F was the high point and it couldn't have gone any further than that no matter what. Broli settled somewhere between BoG and F in terms of weekend opening. That's pretty decent.

From what I've gathered through data and listening to JP fans is that the fanbase isn't growing much. It is a big set fanbase that drive it everytime, but thats about it. That makes it appeal quite narrow. 20-40 yr old men being the main target and some kids and families here and there. It doesn't have much appeal to general audiences. It also doesn't appeal much to women and women in JP visit theatres the most, so movies must appeal to them or else the box office won't grow significantly. Big franchise hits like Conan and OP do, but DB doesn't.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:36 am

Saikyo no Senshi wrote:I don't think it has anything to do with fan reception. This movie has way better reviews than both BoG and F. Hell, the latter was panned by most in JP. It is basically reaching the highest limit of how much DB can do at the movies. F was the high point and it couldn't have gone any further than that no matter what. Broli settled somewhere between BoG and F in terms of weekend opening. That's pretty decent.

From what I've gathered through data and listening to JP fans is that the fanbase isn't growing much. It is a big set fanbase that drive it everytime, but thats about it. That makes it appeal quite narrow. 20-40 yr old men being the main target and some kids and families here and there. It doesn't have much appeal to general audiences. It also doesn't appeal much to women and women in JP visit theatres the most, so movies must appeal to them or else the box office won't grow significantly. Big franchise hits like Conan and OP do, but DB doesn't.
Not entirely sure about that. No doubt that the biggest part of the fandom is male, but as far as I know, it has a lot of female fans as well. Might be though that there was little to attract the female audience this time. Flashy man-boobs can only get you so far.

Dragono
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dragono » Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:42 am

Eh, as long as toei get their money back, we will get a new series.

But if what saikyo is saying is true, then I guess it makes sense why they don't stick to movies.

ClutchBangstrip
Beyond Newbie

Post by ClutchBangstrip » Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:26 am

I'm not trying to be rude, but how many people posting here have an expertise in the film industry and thus, box office analytics? I would highly suggest people read up on how this stuff works before creating a narrative. Maybe even just a few minutes of Googling. There are many complicated factors that override the importance of "the amount of days in the theaters"; companies pick these release dates for a reason. A lot of money, time, and thought goes into why a company would release the film on the day it is chosen, rather that be a Thursday, Friday or Saturday. 99.9% of the time a date is chosen, it is to maximize profits against various external factors. It's never as simple as more days equal more money. This is why weekends are the measuring stick, no matter the day of release.

I just wanna add, no one cares about Friday or Thursday. Movies release on Friday/Thursday to maximize Saturday and to some degree, Sunday based on whatever factors the higher ups consider, that's all. A box office weekend is a box office weekend. This is why no article is reporting the narrative that's in this thread. There's a reason for it and it's not because you understand the box office better than these publications. In the eyes of the companies involved, Broly's weekend has beaten F's weekend; which is stellar because RoF's weekend was already great. Unless you guys have some trusted-inside source that's giving you the bad news, you'd be erroneous to disregard the clear positive coverage of its box office release.
Last edited by ClutchBangstrip on Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:56 am, edited 2 times in total.

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:41 am

Michsi wrote:Not entirely sure about that. No doubt that the biggest part of the fandom is male, but as far as I know, it has a lot of female fans as well. Might be though that there was little to attract the female audience this time. Flashy man-boobs can only get you so far.
I posted a age demo breakdown of DBS TV somewhere here. Too lazy to find, but it skews heavily towards male way more than most shonen franchises. Like 75-25% range which is pretty heavy.

You can wait until tomorrow though if you don't want to find that thread. Tomorrow is Ladies' Day and films skewing even slightly towards women get a boost. But, F and BoG didn't get one and behaved like an ordinary film and I doubt this movie will be any different.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:16 am

Saikyo no Senshi wrote:
Michsi wrote:Not entirely sure about that. No doubt that the biggest part of the fandom is male, but as far as I know, it has a lot of female fans as well. Might be though that there was little to attract the female audience this time. Flashy man-boobs can only get you so far.
I posted a age demo breakdown of DBS TV somewhere here. Too lazy to find, but it skews heavily towards male way more than most shonen franchises. Like 75-25% range which is pretty heavy.

You can wait until tomorrow though if you don't want to find that thread. Tomorrow is Ladies' Day and films skewing even slightly towards women get a boost. But, F and BoG didn't get one and behaved like an ordinary film and I doubt this movie will be any different.

Oh, I believe that. 25% is still a quarter of the fandom which is still significant imo. I remember years ago there was an article that showed the split between guys and girls, and for example, with OP it's pretty even. Can't remember if DB was among the titles featured there, but I think it was mostly about the ones that were on-going at that time: Naruto, Bleach etc.

Anyway, I hope it gets better once holiday starts. I didn't see a kids being mentioned. That DB has a lot of fans in the 20-40 yrs range is understandable, but it'll be sad if they can't get the new generation as interested in the franchise.

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:30 am

If it was significant, it would have showed at the weekend. It didn't. Both OP and Conan have been able to reach ¥1bn milestone at their opening weekends due to strong female support after all.

But, anyway Tue is looking about as expected. Dull as hell.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:24 am

Yeah at about 8pm, Tuesday has only grossed ¥45 million, a little over half as yesterday.

And where yesterday I said Broly had dropped to #2 but was only barely behind (Bohemian Rhapsody actually not the Grinch). Today it's #2 but it's significantly behind.

It's Monday and Tuesday has also been behind Resurrection F's as well because that did over ¥100 million and over ¥60 million respectively. So I can't say I'm too impressed at the moment. There is the chance that this is going to be less successful in Japan.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:01 am

Saikyo no Senshi wrote:If it was significant, it would have showed at the weekend. It didn't. Both OP and Conan have been able to reach ¥1bn milestone at their opening weekends due to strong female support after all.

Significant as in general. From what it's been said here, the vast majority of the audience were adult males and that made me think that very little of that 25% group showed up.

Anyway, Herms just posted on twitter what he overheard some Japanese fans say about the movie. If that's the general feeling, then no wonder it's not doing as well.

FrostByte
Not-So-Newbie

Post by FrostByte » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:20 am

Michsi wrote:
Saikyo no Senshi wrote:If it was significant, it would have showed at the weekend. It didn't. Both OP and Conan have been able to reach ¥1bn milestone at their opening weekends due to strong female support after all.

Anyway, Herms just posted on twitter what he overheard some Japanese fans say about the movie. If that's the general feeling, then no wonder it's not doing as well.
Nah, the Japanese fans seem to be liking it a lot.

https://movies.yahoo.co.jp/movie/%E3%83 ... BC/363668/

Its rated 4.1/5

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:30 am

FrostByte wrote:
Michsi wrote:

Nah, the Japanese fans seem to be liking it a lot.

https://movies.yahoo.co.jp/movie/%E3%83 ... BC/363668/

Its rated 4.1/5
Oh, it's doing well, no doubt about that. It's just not doing spectacular as most had hoped based on the effort poured into this one. Again, I'm on the positive side of the discussion and think merchandise and oversees money will make up for the lower than expected turnout in Japan.