Zamasu's arc -- anime vs manga

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SSJgogeto
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Zamasu's arc -- anime vs manga

Post by SSJgogeto » Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:17 pm

It is not. No one questions the original/"main" work of a franchise.
Yeah, but no.

You see, this... particular vision of yours can only led to two options: you are just contradicting yourself ("There's no canon, but hey, the manga is canon") or you are making a weird parody of Schrödinger's cat ("There's no canon in the franchise, but at the same time everything is canon"), essentialy decreasing the importance of the manga. Both ways are weird, and judging by Shaddy's post you have this train of thought since some time ago.
That is where you are still wrong. And I've already addressed why this isn't the case/how things work in the posts above.
Well, at least how you think things work. And I explained why I think your point of view is mistaken.

Anyway, about the topic: there's something I would like to see, in the anime or in the manga: characters who appeared in "The History of Trunks". I was really happy when I saw Yajirobe in the anime, but they could show us more of them, like Chichi or Roshi.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:13 pm

SSJgogeto wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:17 pmYou see, this... particular vision of yours can only led to two options: you are just contradicting yourself ("There's no canon, but hey, the manga is canon") or you are making a weird parody of Schrödinger's cat ("There's no canon in the franchise, but at the same time everything is canon"), essentialy decreasing the importance of the manga.
Not questioning something does not equal to say there is something.

My "particular vision" (based on reality) does not lead to your options. You are just imposing that either way there is a canon at the end of those paths. There isn't. Anyway, you are welcome to post the evidence of such canon that Dragon Ball supposedly has then, "I don't know" why you haven't done that yet.
SSJgogeto wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:17 pmWell, at least how you think things work. And I explained why I think your point of view is mistaken.
Not what I think, this is how most of the crossovers are.

Turles appearing in Future Trunks saga through Goku Black's portal would not mean his movie became canonical like you said. It would only become canonical if the events of the movie had happened in the Dragon Ball Super continuity, thus having some impact/influence at some point in history, with the characters acknowledging Turles eventually. That didn't happen even in XV2. I could give you a few examples of characters from different dimensions (even from different franchises) meeting and how they usually work, but will you nitpick about it too?
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

SSJgogeto
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SSJgogeto » Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:42 pm

It will depend of your examples :lol:. Also, Turles appearance in the anime/manga doesn't mean automatically that the movie is canon, like Bardock's appearance in the manga doesn't mean that the Bardock's whole special is canon. It will depend of the explanation behind his appearance, if there's one.

Oh, and nice tangent in the first part. "Reality", okay, right...

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:53 pm

SSJgogeto wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:42 pmAlso, Turles appearance in the anime/manga doesn't mean automatically that the movie is canon,
SSJgogeto wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:15 amWe are talking about guys like Turles, (...) if he appears in the anime/manga (...) then the movies would be confirmed as CANON,
Are you contradicting yourself?
SSJgogeto wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:42 pmOh, and nice tangent in the first part. "Reality", okay, right...
As far as reality is concerned, there is no canon indeed, I haven't seen any statement about it. But if reality is different, again, prove it.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:00 pm

Xeogran wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:48 pm
wolflonnie wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:06 am Vegetto has a MUCH better fight in the anime, making him a lot more memorable.
And about this I respectfully disagree. I didn't like seeing Vegetto getting punched around by Merged Zamasu and actually bleeding in the anime. It made him feel very weak, nothing like the Z Vegetto we know. Doesn't help that Zamasu's fusion wasn't supposed to be anywhere as strong, as SSB Goku managed to overwhelm him alone in certain moments. Not to mention the Final Kamehameha which did absolutely nothing.

Meanwhile, manga Vegetto took zero damage, and cut Zamasu's arms showing his dominance in the fight. It was shorter, but gave me better impressions.
I liked that Vegetto had to work for it in the anime. We've already seen cocky invincible Vegetto against Buu, Zamasu actually being a challenge was something different. Plus, it made more sense that he would be that strong- Black was stronger than Goku and Vegeta, and Zamasu was immortal. I don't care what Toriyama originally planned, their fusion should have been way stronger than a single SSB, even a mastered one.

SSJgogeto
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SSJgogeto » Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:01 pm

The manga is canon, I think this is enough proof :lol:

I'm not contradicting myself. You forgot the rest of the quote:
SSJgogeto wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:15 amor at least they would be one step closer to it.
I would answer you about the comparison, but seems I don't need to.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:05 pm

SSJgogeto wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:01 pmThe manga is canon, I think this is enough proof :lol:

I'm not contradicting myself. You forgot the rest of the quote:
SSJgogeto wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:15 amor at least they would be one step closer to it.
No, with only the manga supposedly being canonical it would still not tell you the status of all the other works. Just saying/knowing that the manga is canonical would not tell you anything about the canonicity of the movies, OVAs, TV Specials and Dragon Ball Online. Which is what canon is concerned about. So no, it's not enough evidence.

Also, yeah. It could be a "step closer" depending on what they would do with the character. But if they wanted, the general outcome would be the characters forgetting that they encountered Turles at one point. Thus turning his appearance so obscure one couldn't say he and his movie became canonical.
SSJgogeto wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:01 pmI would answer you about the comparison, but seems I don't need to.
It was beyond the point. A talk for another day.

~ Day of the Machines ~

SSJgogeto
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SSJgogeto » Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:37 pm

Well, you said "there is no canon", not "there is no canon besides the manga" so I think this is enough evidence, because when things like that are said the whole franchise is on the matter. About the other things, I mentioned before about "tiers of canon" and "analysing carefully". Things here aren't black and white, there's a lot of tons of grey.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:59 pm

I liked the more simplified and coherent usage of time travel in the manga. I also really like Goku's characterisation better. Beyond that, I find the anime version of the arc and infinitely more enjoyable and re-watchable experience. The character writing for Goku Black, Zamasu and Merged Zamasu is vastly superior, the battles are better, the tension and drama are much more palpable, the mystery of Goku Black is handled so much better is and Future Trunks feels like a more fleshed out character. However, both mediums suffer for serious storytelling issues when the arc reaches it's climax.

Regardless both mediums do tell a decent story, but I always feel that if you were to combine the best of the anime and the best of the manga, you would get a stellar arc from start to finish.

Super Saiyan Swagger

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:08 am

Lord Beerus wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:59 pmRegardless both mediums do tell a decent story, but I always feel that if you were to combine the best of the anime and the best of the manga, you would get a stellar arc from start to finish.
I want a movie retelling or a long-ass TV special that does this. As much as I love this arc, there's a lot of problems with both versions that could be solved by combining them together and removing the bad bits.

Desassina

Post by Desassina » Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:57 am

I dislike the anime plot concerning Zamasu on the same basis that I dislike Kale in the Tournament of Power. They attempted conflicting emotions, which is not the same as being grey, but in an equilibrium between opposing forces, which broke loose to assume an identity that the manga characters always had, although subconsciously and fully aware that it should remain hidden. Kale was suppressed and she went all out in the manga at a subconscious level, but I don't think that she even knew what breaking loose from her shyness meant in the anime, because Kale went back and forth with it.

In Zamasu's case, the anime made Goku a trigger to the loss of his character, because they bothered to give him one from the get go, and their interactions were not that desirable, since they helped create more time travel shenanigans. Having replaced this trigger battle with casual practice against Kibito was enough that they could reference the latter when somebody asked if there was a Kaioshin who held prejudice against mortals and it just so happened that Zamasu had been holding that kind of position. The greatest bonus is that it doesn't create time travelling holes. Its greatest feat was that he didn't exaggerate his new found power.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:03 am

Both have issues, both end awful, I believe the manga is less messed up about the time travelling stuff, with a Goku Black that doesn't entice me as the anime's, not only because he has less mystery due to being released later, but Toei's looked more in control even when outclassed. The anime makes our heroes look good by the end of the arc while the manga has them shine at the beginning, so I prefer the anime even with it's many flaws.

About Anime Vegito Blue, I enjoyed him now having to go against his equal(even if not because of power, by being immortal), no kidding around, no cockiness, just him being serious. It sets the stakes having him act like that.
And in my own headcanon I give Vegito the credit for dealing the necessary blow on Zamasu, with the FKH. This way his awesome attack is not wasted and serves the purpose that the fusion was born to deal with, and Trunks's little genki dama makes more sense if the victim was greatly weakened. The anime does not support this, of course, but if a statement would've been made, Vegito's introduction would've resulted esential while being fan service and a 2-minute bit.

Manga Vegito Blue lasted so little that it feels like an insult. Like, ok here you have Vegito Blue, happy? ok, bye now. Toyo didn't even show the Final Kamehameha. It makes more sense having him eat the senzu after fused instead of wasting two senzus, I'll give him that.
Vegito Blue was so short-lived that makes no sense, what a stupid inclusion, just there to fill space. I would've loved to have his appearence swapped with PSSB Goku's fight, and Vegito Blue showing up at the end to face the Merged Zamasu Army.
He was way too much for Merged Zamasu, but an army of them could make something interesting to watch, at least more than the 5-panel stomp we got.
And maybe we could've been saved from calling Zeno and ruining the arc.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:52 am

About Anime Vegito Blue, I enjoyed him now having to go against his equal(even if not because of power, by being immortal), no kidding around, no cockiness, just him being serious. It sets the stakes having him act like that.
To add to that, the odds turned in Vegito's favour during the second part of their fight. Zamasu lost the moment he increased his size. At that point, he could not even keep up with Vegito, who even taunts him about that mistake.
And in my own headcanon I give Vegito the credit for dealing the necessary blow on Zamasu, with the FKH. This way his awesome attack is not wasted and serves the purpose that the fusion was born to deal with, and Trunks's little genki dama makes more sense if the victim was greatly weakened. The anime does not support this, of course, but if a statement would've been made, Vegito's introduction would've resulted esential while being fan service and a 2-minute bit.
It's not headcanon, it's more like canon but not very well explained. Gowasu said earlier in the episode that the fusion could deal so much damage to Zamasu that it would break the balance between his immortal soul and mortal body, and that's what the Final Kamehameha and his final punch did to Zamasu (that final punch also completely destroyed his face for a split second). It's safe to say that if it wasn't for Vegito's intervention, Trunks would have never been able to destroy Zamasu.

dbs fanboy
Advanced Regular

Post by dbs fanboy » Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:01 pm

Anime wins and there's no contest.
While it is true that the manga is more consistent with it's rules ( Goku's characterization and the time travel) it just feels boring and devoid of feeling.

Zamasu's obssesion with Goku made way more sense in the anime since it was his loss against him what made our narcissistic god realize that mortals could be dangerous, in the manga he just gets triggered by watching him fight Hit and that's it. I also really like Present Zamasu's conversation with Gowasu about good and evil which if i remember correctly was non existent in the manga

Goku Black is much more enjoyable in the anime since not only he's more mysterious but he's actually competent, and didn't even lose his composture while being beaten by Goku and Vegeta. The dude laughed like a pshyco when that kind of trouble arose while in the manga he started throwing rants the moment things didn't go his way. I legit believe that Goku Black could have actually single handely defeated the super fighters without fusing, to me Merged Zamasu (while being more powerful) was weaker since he was unstable and relied too much on his inmortality (which became his downfall).

I also like how Goku's body influenced his personality (making him different from his other versions)and made him enjoy fighting. The thing that would have make it even better, would have been a scene of Black eating a huge amount of food with Zamasu staring confused. Anime's Black was a cold, composed, kinda flamboyant pshyco; manga's Black was just "another Zamasu".

Trunks's interactions with kid Trunks's were completely nonexistent in the manga, Bulma's death was completely non existent as well (i mean she dies off screen) and while both endings are flawed, the anime one works more because (at least on my case) i cared about the remaining human beings and that scene on ep 66 (while completely dumb) gave me hope that they might survive, so the super fighters losing actually matters. In the manga i just don't care because we don't see how anyone is reacting to Zamasu's rampage , how is the human survivors/resistence state and they all die in a panel and offscreen with no interactions with neither Trunks or Mai.

There was nothing to safe in Trunks's timeline during the final act cause everyone was already gone and Trunks didn't even seem to care, and if he doesn't care why would i?

Manga's Merged Zamasu has more creative powers but his anime counterpart is still better, i kinda liked how the more he fought the weaker he got because he was unstable, how his unstability was not only physical but mental and how the purple goo on his side represented his downfall and state of mind, the anime is much more symbolic which makes it more memorable for me.

Now as Lord Beerus said some post above, a combined version with the best of the two would have really elevated this arc, that is 100% true.
Super Saiyan Swagger wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:08 am
Lord Beerus wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:59 pmRegardless both mediums do tell a decent story, but I always feel that if you were to combine the best of the anime and the best of the manga, you would get a stellar arc from start to finish.
I want a movie retelling or a long-ass TV special that does this. As much as I love this arc, there's a lot of problems with both versions that could be solved by combining them together and removing the bad bits.
Toei could give dbs the same treatment one piece got with those specials retelling it's first arcs
I really miss ma boy, Black :( :cry:

dbgtFO wrote:

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:56 pm

Trunks's interactions with kid Trunks's were completely nonexistent in the manga, Bulma's death was completely non existent as well (i mean she dies off screen) and while both endings are flawed, the anime one works more because (at least on my case) i cared about the remaining human beings and that scene on ep 66 (while completely dumb) gave me hope that they might survive, so the super fighters losing actually matters. In the manga i just don't care because we don't see how anyone is reacting to Zamasu's rampage , how is the human survivors/resistence state and they all die in a panel and offscreen with no interactions with neither Trunks or Mai.
Very true. I love when a story does that. It's important to show how the rampage of a villain affects the common people, the civilians. I really enjoyed those scenes in the underground subway where you have all the civilians interacting with Goku and co. It's a great way of showing just how much Zamasu's reign of terror affected the innocents.
Manga's Merged Zamasu has more creative powers
However, I completely disagree with this part. The only original technique of Fused Zamasu in the manga is the Choke technique, which anyone who can already do Telekinesis can probably use. Whereas in the anime Fused Zamasu had a wide variety of creative and unique techniques, which further reinforced the exuberant and megalomaniac personality of the self-styled "Supreme God". I mean, just look at this:

supersaiyanZero
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by supersaiyanZero » Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:21 pm

Zamasu as an awful, one note, underdeveloped character that had the potential to be THE villain of the franchise. Goku Black was at least charismatic in the anime, but I much prefer the manga version. Toei's version is a fanservice mess.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:38 am

I prefer the anime's narrative to the manga, but not overwhelmingly so. The anime could definitely have improved by incorporating some things from the manga and that would have been ideal along with my own little changes.

Introduction
They both start out strong with the anime adding a much needed emotional aspect, because they actually have Bulma die on-screen, whereas in the manga it has already happened. What the manga does better is make good use of the minor characters to establish how timetravel works in DB. It starts out with Jaco visiting Bulma and co. and warning her about it, while Trunks and the Pilaf Gang were mistakenly taught about alternate timelines in class, whereas the anime's school scene with Trunks has him learn basic arithmetic, which is not at all relevant to anything. I find that to be a problem in the anime, as the minor characters just do minor character things, instead of providing some insight to the story and being useful that way. Instead that is all handled by Whis later on, when Trunks shows up.

Goku-Black appearing in the past is such a good thing and it's extremely disappointing it's not in the manga. The timerings are not supposed to take you to the past, but it makes sense to make this a special occasion, because of Trunks' timetravel distorting things to the point where the timerings had to react. Of course the anime doesn't stick the landing and provide the reasoning I would want for this to be possible(ie. that Trunks unbeknownst to him was creating a new timeline) and instead goes with the ridiculous time loop, bootstrap paradox nonsense, that I despise so much, but it really establishes that messing with time will result in all sorts of unforeseen circumstances.

This also leads to Black destroying Trunks' timemachine and forcing the callback to Cell having timetravelled, which works really well, but unfortunately they don't take fully advantage of that fact by the end of the arc(ie. having Trunks and Mai move to Cell's abandoned timeline)but it's at least a nice callback.
Another criticism of this part however is that it's Beerus and Whis who recognize Black's ki as being Zamasu's, as if they just know every God of every universe. I would expect there to be some backstory there, but none is provided and so they just know Zamasu, because reasons...
This is where the manga scene of Shin and Kibito visiting Gowasu and Zamasu would come in play. They of course have started to associate themselves with other Kaioshin of the other Universes and so would be the ones to recognize Goku-Black's ki as part Zamasu's later on. Here in this scene we also have the manga make a callback to Majin Buu, whose Arc apparently doesn't really exist for Toriyama in DB Super at all, considering how much it's shafted and major consequences of it are sweeped under the rug, so it doesn't have to be brought up.
Making the callback to Majin Buu would serve to introduce Zamasu to the idea of a mortal being stronger than Gods and so he would be requesting too see this mortal in question who dealt with Buu. Then you have Shin and Kibito going to Earth to inform Goku at which point, Goku-Black appears and they'd be able to suggest that his ki was similar to Zamasu's.
The anime and manga both dropped the ball here, but the manga at least has Shin and Kibito being prominent in an arc about a rouge Apprentice Kaioshin, instead of Beerus and Whis knowing everything(in the manga of course Beerus confirms he doesn't know who Zamasu is).
Another point for the manga comes with its great handling of Future Trunks' conflict with Babidi and Dabra, which was quickly glossed over in the anime.

Middle
Here after Goku-Black has come and went and in the manga where Zamasu has been introduced we start the investigation phase into who Goku-Black is. The anime of course has the massive advantage of Goku-Black having appeared in the past and exposed his ki, which leads to Goku confronting Zamasu in Universe 10 and understandably leading to Zamasu's obsession with him. Whereas the manga does not have such fantastic storytelling and instead we jump straight to Zamasu and Gowasu visiting Future Planet Barbari and Zamasu not being triggered by much to concoct his evil plot. The anime really excells here, whereas the manga has Kibito being suspected here as a gag. The manga also suffers from the fact, that they already have it all figured out by the time they make their first travel to Trunks' timeline, whereas in the anime the mystery is far from solved. The only thing they didn't know in the manga was the fact that Goku-Black had recruited the Zamasu of Trunks' timeline, which was admittedly revealed in a cool way, once again having Shin be of good use by using the timering and observing that timeline. So in the manga Goku doesn't personally meet the Zamasu of his timeline that would eventually steal his body and instead only meets the Goku-Black version of him in another timeline and what's more they never even fight! It's a huge disappointment!
At least the anime made good use of all of them and had Goku and Vegeta each try fighting either of them with Trunks thrown in there too.

Goku-Black in the manga is exactly what it says on the tin; Zamasu's soul in Goku's body and his personality has stayed the same. Unfortunately he's a bit too whiny and can't handle setbacks well. In the anime he's a psycopath who maintains his composure, laughs at the pain he's feeling and manages to find a way out of trouble. Taking over Goku's body changed him in a way that makes him a bit like Goku in enjoying fighting and striving to get stronger. I feel this was a good way to handle the character, whereas the manga just stuck to the same old villain type, who complains and rages, when being bested.
The anime also has more cooperation between Zamasu and Black, while in the manga Zamasu is a non-entity, which is the same with Trunks because they both lack power compared to Goku, Vegeta and Goku-Black. So they both become support characters because of their healing ability instead of fighting prowess and that's fine, but it's a bit boring.
The anime has Trunks reach a new form and it's cool, but it isn't explained. I like it, but I definitely didn't like it appearing without a proper explanation. The manga instead just has a SS2 form for Trunks that is strong as SS3, but it's only good enough for besting Future Zamasu and can't deal with SS Rosé Goku-Black.
While I like that Goku-Black is smug and such in the anime, I feel like they sometimes take it too far with him not appearing to be bested. When he mentions how he killed the Gods, no one actually points out that he lacked the strength necessary to kill any God of Destruction. He just gets to say it unchallenged by anyone, as if he's that powerful. The manga at least has Goku In chapter 19 point out that he only could do it, because he took advantage of the Kaioshins' lives being linked with the Gods. You can turn this into Black pointing out how fragile the system is, because of that and still maintain his cool, but him going unchallenged is pretty bad to me and I appreciate the manga for actually bringing up that plot point, because that's the exact reason Black even got so far in the first place.

Climax and ending
So we are here where Goku and Vegeta have escaped from the Future once again and Trunks is left to deal with Black and Zamasu. Once again I like that Gowasu and Shin are more involved, but I don't think they needed to be that involved, but at least Trunks' escape is actually shown instead of the anime, where he starts fighting the two and then next episode he has apparently managed to escape without any mention as to how. In the manga Goku is the one who brought up Mafuba, but Goku never knew about the backstory in the first place, because he wasn't around, when Roshi recounted it to everyone after the 22nd Tournament, so that doesn't make sense. In any case they go back and in both mediums manage to get there in the nick of time, before Black and Zamasu finish off everyone.
Here I must say while the return of SSG is cool, it all seems a bit boring, so I sway more towards the anime with just having them fight with Blue from the get go. Trunks learning Mafuba in 5 minutes was ridiculous, but I don't really have an ideal way to handle this, though I'd probably prefer Goku doing it, like in the manga. In any case Zamasu and Black merge and no surprise it was more of a spectacle in the anime with over the top visuals and what not, while the manga was understandably more subdued, but unfortunately lacking because of that.
Merged Zamasu getting creative with his attacks was a nice breeze of fresh air in the anime and the manga could have taken some inspiration. Instead he just throws Katchin blocks. I wanted him to at least make a giant sword out of those blocks and use that as a weapon. Vegetto was only there in the anime for 10 minutes and it was a bit of a shame how rushed episode 66 seemed like. At least in the manga we get far more after the merging came undone, but it doesn't seem as grandiose as the anime, despite the anime being far shorter. The manga then has Goku know Hakai without ever actually showing him having witnessed it in the first place like he did in the anime, which is pretty bad. The anime has Trunks use a Genkidama in his sword, which doesn't make much sense either, as there are so few humans left to power it. So they both suffer greatly from that.
I do appreciate the anime for actually having some survivors that the cast interact with. It helps to give it a bigger emotional resonance with the audience. In the manga there are only Trunks and Mai left, which drags it down.
By the end of it all Zeno wipes out everything and it ends disappointingly with neither utilizing Cell's timeline, as Trunks and Mai's new home. Of course there just had to be another line about how it's Whis who's going to travel to the future, even though Whis told them earlier in the arc he can only turn back time by 3 minutes. This is just the anime shafting the Kaioshin again, who are the ones responsible for timetravel, not Whis. The manga doesn't confirm that Shin or Gowasu would be going to the future, but ideally it would be Shin, who would go there.

Conclusion
Both have a bunch of bullshit, that don't really make a lot of sense and they both seem they could have benefitted by making the arc longer. The anime is only 21 episodes long and the manga is only 14 chapters long(although averaging ~40 pages per chapter).
I liked how the manga actually bothered to give its take on the timetravel mechanics in detail, whereas the anime unfortunately doesn't delve into it that much. In particular the fact that time passes concurrently between timelines. It does so in the anime too, but they don't mention it ie. all time travels to the future could have conveniently been done, so as to return the second after they left for the past, but they don't. Instead hours and days passes in the future the same way it does in the present, solidifying that's how it works.
Goku-Black's characterization is pretty good in the anime and they manage to use the core cast in a great way. The manga manages to bring in the minor characters and have them give good insight to the plot with Pilaf at the end figuring out time travel, which is pretty good.
The fighting is better in the anime and Goku and Vegeta aren't so dead set on only fighting alone, so everyone gets to fight here, even Trunks.
So at the end of the day, while I have a lot of problems with the anime, I do prefer it, but I definitely wish it had taken some elements from the manga, ditched the bootstrap paradox, actually explained the whole Kaioshin backstory and put Trunks and Mai in Cell's timeline.

Paulo Gabriel
Banned

Post by Paulo Gabriel » Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:59 am

ahill1 wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:30 am Since we have a ToP comparison between both mediums, figured would do one for Zamasu.

Speaking about the Zamasu's arc, the one most people consider to be Super's strong suite, which medium did portray it better in your opinion?

Honestly, I think this arc the only one in which the anime excels in comparison to the manga.
I've only read the manga... so yeah.