Do you think introducing the silver haired version of UI was a mistake?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

GodVegetto91
Banned

Do you think introducing the silver haired version of UI was a mistake?

Post by GodVegetto91 » Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:53 pm

I think it was!

Ofcourse, that is just my opinion, but i know most people will agree with me that UI Omen looked much better from an artistic design point of view. Black hair, (imo) is a much better look for Goku than Silver/Grey hair. When UI Omen was first introduced, i was truly in love with its beautiful design and overall simplicity. You can’t deny that it was something new and fresh and not just another recolor. So when i found out that the end version of the form was going to get silver hair, i was extremely dissapointed. UI Omen’s design was perfect and was everything i wanted and could have asked for, for Goku’s “ultimate form”. But than MUI came along and they literally ruined what was already a perfect looking form. One might think a simple hair color change is insignificant, but it totally wasn’t. It’s a totally different look, and not for the better.

So what do you guys think? Do you think it was a mistake for them to change Omen to the silver haired version? Or do you dig it?

Let me know!
Last edited by GodVegetto91 on Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Re: Do you think introducing the silver haired version of UI was a mistake?

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:10 am

No, I like the look of the silver hair. I think it pops off of Gokuu's dougi well and is a nice change of pace from the other colors.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Block88
Beyond Newbie

Post by Block88 » Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:37 am

Yes I fully agree with you OP
UI Omen made the form feel unique and literally untouchable with it
The silver hair form brought it down and made it feel like another recolor in the show nor did portray the broken nature of UI
Last edited by Block88 on Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:40 am, edited 2 times in total.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:37 am

Of course. Ultra Instinct -Sign- would be even great if it was the last transformation (after Super Saiyan 2). Imagine: Super Saiyan, Super Saiyan 2 and Ultra Instinct -Sign-? Just three forms, no crap recolors, keeping it simple but great visually speaking...

But they had to ruin it. It's just what they do best.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:24 am

Grimlock wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:37 am Of course. Ultra Instinct -Sign- would be even great if it was the last transformation (after Super Saiyan 2). Imagine: Super Saiyan, Super Saiyan 2 and Ultra Instinct -Sign-? Just three forms, no crap recolors, keeping it simple but great visually speaking...

Perfectly said! It’s what they always do. They did it with God ki, with “Base Saiyan Beyond God”, with SSJ Blue’s performance, and even with Ultimate Gohan! They also didn’t do Vegito any favors in the Zamasu arc and even ruined the permancy of the Potara Fusion! “Ruining” great things is what they always do and will continue to do, sad to say.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:26 am

I like it a lot. His hair turns silver, closely matching the hair color of the Kais and Angels and symbolizing the divine aspect of Ultra Instinct. Omen was still a middle ground between the primitive understanding of a mortal and the full mastery of a God, and that's why it was never going to be the final form.

Dragon Wukong
Regular

Post by Dragon Wukong » Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:32 am

GodVegetto91 wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:53 pm I think it was!

Ofcourse, that is just my opinion, but i know most people will agree with me that UI Omen looked much better from an artistic design point of view. Black hair, (imo) is a much better look for Goku than Silver/Grey hair. When UI Omen was first introduced, i was truly in love with it’s beautiful design and overall simplicity. You can’t deny that it was something new and fresh and not just another recolor. So when i found out that the end version of the form was going to get silver hair, i was extremely dissapointed. UI Omen’s design was perfect and was everything i wanted and could have asked for as Goku’s “ultimate form”. But than MUI came along and they literally ruined what was already a perfect looking form. One might think a simple hair color change is insignificant, but it totally wasn’t. It’s a totally different look, and not for the better.

So what do you guys think? Do you think it was a mistake for them to change Omen to the silver haired version? Or do you dig it?

Let me know!
I think the mistake was making UI's hair silver, when Toriyama clearly drew it white. It's clearly meant to evoke some kinda Angel thing.

I also prefer it being slimmed down like SSG.

SSJgogeto
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SSJgogeto » Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:35 am

I don't think they RUUUUINEEEDD it or anything, but I don't like UI without aura.

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:42 pm

Dragon Wukong wrote:
I think the mistake was making UI's hair silver, when Toriyama clearly drew it white. It's clearly meant to evoke some kinda Angel thing.

I also prefer it being slimmed down like SSG.
Look again at Toriyama's design. He doesnt draw white hair with that much grey shading. Only the highlights are white.
He did not clearly draw it white. This is his white hair:

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:18 pm

Two completely new transformations for Goku during TOP would have been over the top and even ridiculous.
But this wasn't the case, it was a somehow different variant but yet an evolution at the same time within the same context.

It did make sense in my opinion. Because Omen en MUI were interconnected from the start.

At the end "Omen" basically meant 'incomplete', he only had the defensive side and could only master the technique by gaining the offensive side as well. So as the technique was incomplete, it was logical for the transformation to be incomplete as well.

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:21 am

Mister_Popo wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:18 pm Two completely new transformations for Goku during TOP would have been over the top and even ridiculous.
But this wasn't the case, it was a somehow different variant but yet an evolution at the same time within the same context.

It did make sense in my opinion. Because Omen en MUI were interconnected from the start.

At the end "Omen" basically meant 'incomplete', he only had the defensive side and could only master the technique by gaining the offensive side as well. So as the technique was incomplete, it was logical for the transformation to be incomplete as well.
I mean, i’m talking purely from a character design/artistic point of view. When it comes purely to ability then it makes total sense. But Omen looked much better than MUI. That’s what i’m saying.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:39 am

GodVegetto91 wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:21 am
Mister_Popo wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:18 pm Two completely new transformations for Goku during TOP would have been over the top and even ridiculous.

I mean, i’m talking purely from a character design/artistic point of view. When it comes purely to ability then it makes total sense. But Omen looked much better than MUI. That’s what i’m saying.

Purely esthetically i think MUI with silver hair looks better, but that's entirely subjective.
Omen looks good too and is a great design on its own, but the silver hair gives it the 'finishing touch'.

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:29 pm

Mister_Popo wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:39 am

Purely esthetically i think MUI with silver hair looks better, but that's entirely subjective.
Omen looks good too and is a great design on its own, but the silver hair gives it the 'finishing touch'.
You’re right. It is subjective. Anyways, i’d rather have Goku have White hair like the Kaioshin’s and all the Angels rather than Silver. Even the manga depicts it White! Also, the manga slims down the body, just like with SSJ God. To illustrate their “divine” otherworldy nature.

Wouldn’t you have liked white hair better than silver for Goku’s completed Ultra Instinct form?

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Sun Dec 15, 2019 5:48 am

SupremeKai25 wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:26 am I like it a lot. His hair turns silver, closely matching the hair color of the Kais and Angels and symbolizing the divine aspect of Ultra Instinct. Omen was still a middle ground between the primitive understanding of a mortal and the full mastery of a God, and that's why it was never going to be the final form.
Since you are very clearly a Merged Zamasu fan, wouldn’t you like white hair better on MUI Goku than the actual silver hair we got?

Afterall, as you pointed out, all the Gods(Kaioshins) and even all the Angels have white hair. Wouldn’t you prefer a true matching of the color in Goku’s MUI form, or are you okay with silver?

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sun Dec 15, 2019 5:52 am

GodVegetto91 wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 5:48 am
SupremeKai25 wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:26 am I like it a lot. His hair turns silver, closely matching the hair color of the Kais and Angels and symbolizing the divine aspect of Ultra Instinct. Omen was still a middle ground between the primitive understanding of a mortal and the full mastery of a God, and that's why it was never going to be the final form.
Since you are very clearly a Merged Zamasu fan, wouldn’t you like white hair better on MUI Goku than the actual silver hair we got?

Afterall, as you pointed out, all the Gods(Kaioshins) and even all the Angels have white hair. Wouldn’t you prefer a true matching of the color in Goku’s MUI form, or are you okay with silver?
I am okay with silver and I don't see any considerable difference with white at all.

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Sun Dec 15, 2019 7:44 am

Silver hair version is awful. It doesn't look good at all. It's so stupid and lazy that Toriyama didn't even bother to make new concept art for it and decided to recolor his old SSJG Goku drawing. I'm not against silver haired transformation since Baby Vegeta looked awesome with his silver SSJ mutations being the first one to introduce white/silver hair form. It just looks bad on UI. Also confusing, since UI Vegeta would probably look like Baby Vegeta without his red lines on face. The omen version of UI looked a lot better. The only thing that sucked in UI Omen design were Goku's eyes but that applies to both versions of UI. I also hate UI aura. The one used on UI Omen was much better.
Grimlock wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:37 am Of course. Ultra Instinct -Sign- would be even great if it was the last transformation (after Super Saiyan 2). Imagine: Super Saiyan, Super Saiyan 2 and Ultra Instinct -Sign-? Just three forms, no crap recolors, keeping it simple but great visually speaking...

Except that UI has no connection to saiyan forms in any way. Unless you meant to make it a SSJ form?
Anyway, i had similar thinking about SSJ4 being the only form after SSJ (under different name that it). Since saiyans achieved both Oozaru and Super Saiyan they could simply go straight to SSJ"4" without SSJ2 and SSJ3, let alone any USSJ things i never liked in the first place.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sun Dec 15, 2019 10:56 am

And except that I never said it has. I said that because I don't like Saiyans having too many transformations, three would be enough.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Sun Dec 15, 2019 3:17 pm

GodVegetto91 wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:29 pm

You’re right. It is subjective. Anyways, i’d rather have Goku have White hair like the Kaioshin’s and all the Angels rather than Silver. Even the manga depicts it White! Also, the manga slims down the body, just like with SSJ God. To illustrate their “divine” otherworldy nature.

Wouldn’t you have liked white hair better than silver for Goku’s completed Ultra Instinct form?

White is the color of angel hair. In MUI he is beyond Gods but not yet angel-level.
Maybe it would make sense if his hair would turn white when he attains that level.
But that would be .. again ... a recolor.
They could give him blue skin, white hair and an angel-like suit. For instance ...
It would be far more original if it wouldn't be only a recolor when he breaks the next shelf.
I can somehow understand the criticism because of the lack of creativity it beholds.
They should be able to come up with a more radical different design. Like SSJ4, one of the better things that have originated from GT.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:38 am

Mister_Popo wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 3:17 pm
GodVegetto91 wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:29 pm

White is the color of angel hair. In MUI he is beyond Gods but not yet angel-level.
Maybe it would make sense if his hair would turn white when he attains that level.
But that would be .. again ... a recolor.
They could give him blue skin, white hair and an angel-like suit. For instance ...
It would be far more original if it wouldn't be only a recolor when he breaks the next shelf.
I can somehow understand the criticism because of the lack of creativity it beholds.
They should be able to come up with a more radical different design. Like SSJ4, one of the better things that have originated from GT.
Possibly. I doubt that Goku has the same mastery of Ultra Instinct that angels have. I subscribe to the theory that the hair gets closer to white as your mastery of that technique increases. If Goku will ever have full mastery over Ultra Instinct, then his hair won't just resemble white but will actually be white.

This makes sense in hindsight. After all only the Destroyers were astonished when he mastered Ultra Instinct, the angels had no reaction at all, which I doubt would be the case if Goku actually managed to reach Angel level.

What they could have done maybe is keep that silver barrier he had around his body at the beginning or show his skin crackling with silver energy or something, that would have been interesting. If you remember he was fully enveloped in a silver crystal-like barrier at the beginning:

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:51 am

SupremeKai25 wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:38 am

What they could have done maybe is keep that silver barrier he had around his body at the beginning or show his skin crackling with silver energy or something, that would have been interesting. If you remember he was fully enveloped in a silver crystal-like barrier at the beginning:

I agree, the silver barrier looked even better. Wish they had keeped it. It was something different than the usual hair recolor.